Print Page | Close Window

I hate my hair! Help!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29252
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 6:40am

Topic: I hate my hair! Help!
Posted By: wendi26
Subject: I hate my hair! Help!
Date Posted: March 29 2005 at 1:10pm

I am a new member and need some support. I have been trying so hard to grow my hair long and healthy. Without going into alot of detail my issues go back a few years when I had to start taking some medication (methotrexate) for several health problems. This medicine destroyed my once beautiful hair. I had waist length, almost one length, chestnut brown hair. Silky smooth, just gorgeous. I used to get so many compliments. After being on the medicine awhile my hair starting falling out, became very brittle and basically stopped growing. Literally growing about a half inch every few months. Plus it starting breaking off. Now, 3 years later, my hair is to my shoulders with some very short layers throughout because I had to get it all cut off and basically start over. My dosage of medicine has been significantly reduced and I am starting to grow again, about the normal half inch a month. So I have vowed to totally take care of my hair and help the growth. I am just so depressed, every time I look in the mirror, I just hate what I see. Will it ever grow back like it was? I don't know what to do, I will take any advice.

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: March 29 2005 at 2:47pm
I'm sorry to hear you are depressed, I've been there with bad hair.  I'm not familiar with this drug, but if you're seeing the normal half inch a month of growth, I don't see any reason your hair can't grow to your waist again if you are very gentle with it and have a good hair care routine.  You may have to be patient.  Jojoba oil is good for brittle hair, keeping it moisturized.  There's a ton of information throughout the long hair forum here on exactly how to take care of your hair, oil it, etc.  If you have any questions, please ask, as everyone here is always very helpful.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: GoldieLocks92
Date Posted: March 29 2005 at 6:28pm
When I started taking a multi-vitamine I saw a dramatic increase of growth. Drinking lots of water and generally staying healthy have the same effect and are great when mixed with the vitamine. You also want to keep your hair away from a lot of heat (hair dryers, flat irons, etc.) and chemicals such as laurel/laureth sulfates (check your shampoos/conditionars for these!) and heavy chemicals in most coloring products. Do not over brush your hair as you might break the hair (also to prevent breaking, I like to put my hair up at night). Boar bristle brushes will take the natural oils from your roots to the tips of your hair to keep it from getting dry.
Good Luck!

-------------
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 01 2005 at 11:12am
(( wendi ))

Look at the bright side - you said your dosage of the medicine has been significantly reduced and your hair is beginning to grow again.  There is plenty of reason for hope!  Susan and Goldielocks have offered excellent advice.  I know that in 3 years from now your hair will be back to its old glory.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window