Print Page | Close Window

HELP...Who has the best shrinkies?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29563
Printed Date: July 01 2024 at 3:17pm

Topic: HELP...Who has the best shrinkies?
Posted By: luzminerva4u
Subject: HELP...Who has the best shrinkies?
Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:21pm
  • Docs
  • CalKristen

Or the myriad of other suppliers? I'm looking to order by Thursday.  Maybe we should get a list of suppliers and turn it into a poll.

Thx Ladies!!!

-------------
That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Hapiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

Replies:
Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:24pm
I heard one review that preferred Doc's (the user felt the tubes shrunk down better), and another that preferred Kristin's (the user felt that the extra length provided a better, longer-lasting hold), so you've got me.

Anyone?

:)

Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:26pm
Oh, but I would definitely order from one of those two--they've gotten the best reviews so far (at least for DIY).

Unless AMM unveils a new and improved version..... (She's been doing some experiments this week.)

Posted By: amm
Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:43pm
I've been answering so much in private, I may as well put it out here.

Yes, I believe I have found something locally that is pretty darn good. It's the same diameter that shrinkie users have come to know and want but the shrink ratio is responding tighter. There also seems to be more adhesive inside (according to those I have sent the shrinkies to and who are testing them as well) so it's holding better.

The new shrinkie has the slightest haze to it and it's almost undetectable when looking at it. To me, this slight haze makes the new shrinkie less shiny when it's installed. It by no means is a hinderance.

Starting next week, I'll have shrinkies.net up and running (as soon as my host server kicks in) and I'll also offer a remover which is probably the exact same thing Mark Barrington uses for his shrinklinks. I've tested this over the week and I am astounded by how quick the residue comes out. As I told a person who is also testing this, I actually had a little happy tear.

Prices? How about half of what you're used to seeing? As a DIY, I'm horrified by the mark up and this is going to be great for all the DIY out there.

There will also be standard and extended length sizes for those who think they'll like something a bit longer.

I'm up for any suggestions.

And no, as someone asked me, this is not from China.

Posted By: sherrie215
Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:51pm
amm I want some I want some.....let me know when you are ready to sell some of it to me!

Posted By: mochachip
Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:59pm
ahhh you found what i found but in a smaller starting diameter.  excellent work deary.  I just gave up on hunting.  I'm not sure whether I'll use any shrinkies again, but if I ever need any I'll definitely want to try yours out!

Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 10:02pm
Damn, girl--Shrinkies.net? Snap! That sounds awesome.

I'll have to dust off my heat clamp for this one....

Posted By: LuckieDuckies
Date Posted: April 06 2005 at 10:03pm
amm your our hero

Posted By: Syren123
Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 12:58am
amm! You are the DIY Warrior Goddess!
Well. Looks like it's time to give shrinkies another try...better get Avril Levigne out of her box. (She's my mannequin head).

Posted By: MERGUTHRIE
Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 1:27am
will your remover work on other shrinkies?

-------------
i love plastikhaar

Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 1:44am
Aww thanks. I know some will test them and have the same results they have in the past with shrinkies. They won't be some miracle application just because they're a touch different because the same concept applies; proper, even heating and a good technique. What they will be, however, is at a price they should have been from the very beginning. I'm excited to take these down to a level that will hopefully start a trend in price reduction. :)

Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 1:48am
Merg, absolutely. It's already been tested and it works like a dream. Works better on Liquid Gold than the actual Liquid Gold Remover, too. I'll have it next week and it'll be $5.99 for 4 oz. A little bit will go a long long way and there's not a drop of acetone in it. I'll have all the ingredients listed so everyone knows what it is.

I know Mark Berrington sells a shrinkie remover that is $12.95 for 4 oz and it does not list ingredients. Anyone have any idea why that would be?

Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:00am
Yay for price reduction!

I have a few suggestions, actually.

I think someone (Fina, maybe?) has been splicing her shrinkies in half for the crown and partline. Perhaps it makes sense then to offer 1/2 sizes as well as the longer ones?

Also, I'm sure you're creating, or have already created, a shrinkie demo/tutorial for the site. Perhaps, in addition to giving the usual steps for application, you can provide the estimated heating time required at a each temperature (indicating, of course, that it's only a guideline).

So when are going to start distributing hair, girl?

Posted By: marie87
Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:07am
Sign me up!!!!!! I have found that if I dont touch the shrink -no rolling or pinching that I dont get that haze. the ones I touch turn hazey they also come out sooner but the ones I heat and leave stay good clear and tight

Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:17am
Does anyone know if there's rolling used with the MB techinque? :)

Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:29am
Hair distributor? Hah! Never! I can gladly wait for PH overseas and the WaWa I love is here so I'm a happy camper. I don't think I could ever put up with the HH hassles. Besides, with my aeromedical work and the soap biz and now my newly discovered fondness for riding motorcycles, there is no time whatsoever. I'm only doing the shrinkie thing cuz it's ridiculous to have finally found this at half the price and not pass it on. I'm stoked! Half sizes? Sounds like a great idea! I know I used Fina's great suggestion around my temple area and it's awesome.

Marie - I've done flat shrinkies, too. They sure do lay nice against the head. I can't even feel them when I wear a snug helmet. Even with Doc's shrinkies which are completely clear to begin, I've still gotten that cloudy look on some of them whether I roll or not. I'd love to have them all completely clear but it's never happened. When the adhesive melts inside, it can just sometimes take on that appearance.   

Posted By: sherrie215
Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:32am

hey amm....I PMed you, did you get it? Its messing up on me this morning!

Posted By: Gina E
Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:42am

Bravo amm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!           !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For half the price...I'll have to revisit th e world of shrinkies! Can't wait to get my hands on the san acetone remover!

Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:45am
sherrie, my mail was hanging open, too. I got yours and responded. :)

Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 7:00am
Jenny sas and metalgirl said no rolling with MB

Posted By: Save~A~Stray
Date Posted: April 07 2005 at 7:42am
Amm~Have no idea why MB don't list the ingredients in the
remover~::whispering::Top Secret::

I have been using C-22 citrus residue remover and it works on
MB links and Shrinkies no problem. I have a store of it in my
house for cleaning hairpieces.
I'm also ordering Amm's remover as soon as she is up and
running!!

Posted By: Naomi
Date Posted: April 08 2005 at 8:22am

Amm, are you happy to post to the UK?

I would like some smaller ones too, I cut the Docs shrinkies in half at the moment and the bits usually fly across the room never to be seen again.....

Good for you for experimenting

.....and even better that you are happy to share your findings....

Posted By: Bridget
Date Posted: April 08 2005 at 8:54am
Amm, this is awesome!  Do you know the time frame for your shrinks to hit the market? 

Date Posted: April 08 2005 at 3:02pm
Soon I hope I hope. I gotta drive to the place to get the stuff in the middle of my work schedule and then get it up on the site so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next week.

It'll be available here: http://shrinkies.net - http://shrinkies.net

UK? U bet!

-------------
http://shrinkies.net - Extension Supplies & Virgin Brazilian Hair

Posted By: mochachip
Date Posted: April 08 2005 at 3:27pm
Now see this attitude makes me want to stick it out and try the shrinkies again. They weren't awful this time but they weren't the best application I've done either.  I think my first outing with rings went a bit smoother.  But damn if they aren't undetectable in the hairline. 

Posted By: X-tend
Date Posted: April 08 2005 at 4:16pm

Yeah, count me in too....low cost shrinkies will be devine!!!

I do regular shrinkies, but how do you get them to lay flat? I just read that in you post above. Just not roll em?

Date Posted: April 08 2005 at 5:51pm
Nice homepage, AMM! Nice ink, too. :)

Posted By: luzminerva4u
Date Posted: April 08 2005 at 7:10pm
Wow Amm!! luv luv luv the homepage.  Can't wait to see the rest and buy buy buy!

-------------
That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Hapiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

Posted By: Rapunzelwannabe
Date Posted: April 09 2005 at 6:09am
AMM--You rock!  Thanks for doing all the Sherlocking. 

I'll be glad to order from you! 

Posted By: Bridget
Date Posted: April 13 2005 at 12:55pm
Amm!  I love your site!  You did a super job, and I can't wait to order the longer shrinkies!

Date Posted: April 13 2005 at 6:03pm
Thanks! If everyone likes them and the consensus is that they work
the same/good enough/better/ than what's out there, I'll order more
bulk and the prices will come down even lower!

As it stands, I was supposed to be off right now to have this stuff
ready but I'm covering work for someone who had a death in the
family and the shopping cart won't be active until next week.

I am also working with a medical supply company (located through
my work) who supplies tubing which looks and feels similar to MB's
tubing. I don't know if I can track it down or if they'll even supply to
private party but it's another iron I have in the fire.

I'm waiting on the black tubing (WITH ADHESIVE) to arrive also. It
does cost more to have this flexible stuff and have it just like the
clear (with the color exception) but I consider it a real find for those
with black and dark brown hair!

Keep checking the site next week. I promise as soon as my next
days off roll around, I'll have everything up and I'll be able to answer
all the emails about overseas shipping, too. I'm excited!

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2005 at 9:34pm
So can we order the shinkies and throw some of those yummy soaps in our basket? 

This is a little O/T, but which of your soaps would you most recommend for dry, sensitive skin? Generally, I can only use glycerine soaps, not those superstrong detergent brands. I'm intrigued by the shea butter, in particular (I've never used the stuff before).

Date Posted: April 14 2005 at 4:58am
LOL, J. Love the way your head works.

$50 on the soap site gets ya free shipping so I would definitely do free shipping if ya wanted shrinkies, etc. thrown into the soap basket. It would simply require telling me what was wanted and I could send a Paypal request instead of someone using the cart and checkout. Super easy and who doesn't dig free shipping!

For dry skin, it's all good but the best is the Oatmeal, Milk & Honey (OMH). Cold process soap in itself has more natural glycerin than clear glycerin soaps you typically see in the stores (most contain sugar and alcohol which gives it its transparency). It's cool to watch the cold process soap go through saponification because you can actually see all the glycerin rise to the top and as it cools, it settles back into the bar. Then it cures for about 6 weeks while the pH lowers and the moisture evaporates.

I put in Avenno colloidal oatmeal, raw organic honey which of course is a humectant that attracts and retains moisture (the honey even has the pieces of honeycomb ground into it) goats milk which has caprylic acid and that lowers its pH to the same level as human skin, vitamin E, unrefined shea butter. The shea is directly imported direct from Africa and IT. IS. AWESOME. I sell little sample sizes because a lot of people just want to see what it is that's in the soap. The best way to use it is to take just a tablespoon, put it in the microwave until it turns liquid and then while it's still warm, apply it all over the body right after getting out of the shower. Or, you can take 2 TBS and mix it in with about 1 C olive oil, add a few drops of lavender essential oil and you've got something better for skin and hair than any high priced department store offers. And you save yourself a load of money to boot. :)

OK, off my literal soapbox.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2005 at 6:27am
Thanks, AMM. My skin's dry as the Sahara, so it sounds like a plan! :)

Date Posted: April 14 2005 at 5:45pm
I got my shrinks from International Wig. They are thiner than kristins maybe a little more than docs and longer than both I have black and clear they end up not as clear as I would ultimitly like to see ONE of these get!!! I do like how the black ones look in my brown hair you can hardly see them I'm so glad you will have black AMM I will be getting those!! I put some in I will let you guys know how long till they fall out!!!!!

Date Posted: April 14 2005 at 6:24pm
Marie,

Since they don't have an adhesive lining, are you going to add any additional glue or just install them as is?

Date Posted: April 14 2005 at 7:51pm
Nope ! I am going to try them as is, If I have to add then I wont be geting them again. Not worth it

Print Page | Close Window