Print Page | Close Window

Hair is not growing

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30266
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 6:26am

Topic: Hair is not growing
Posted By: Color_Diva928
Subject: Hair is not growing
Date Posted: April 28 2005 at 8:15am

Hello!  Despite my stylist's strong recommendation to get a "good trim", I have advised her to only perform "search and destroy" about twice a year.  I sooooo want my bra-strap length hair to be waist-length... 

Over the last year, my hair has only grown about 2, 2 1/2", literally.  That, to me, is obscenely slow.  I regularly deep condition with high-end, salon products, and have even lightened up on my straightening and flat-ironing, which I used to do all the time.  What's the problem? 

I have colored and highlighted hair, but nonetheless, this lack of growth seems very unusual to me.  I am in general good health, and take a multi-vitamin everyday, in conjunction with a Biotin supplement.

Has anyone ever heard of, or experienced this?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: April 28 2005 at 8:41am
Providing you don't have excessive breakage on your ends, you may just be in a lag period.  Hair sometimes does that for the first time around your length, and will do it again if you go to longer and longer lengths.  It's normal and it will start up again when the time is right.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: GoldieLocks92
Date Posted: April 28 2005 at 7:14pm
I think I'm in this sort of lag too, at the moment. But still I think I can help.
Make your trims more frequent; maybe quarterly trims of ALL your hair. Ask your stylist for a coloring product that isn't very harsh or just wait a little longer between colorings. Besides that, I can just say don't give up hope! You're really close!

~Ali

-------------
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: April 28 2005 at 8:05pm
Highlighting can be very hard on hair. Straightening hair which has been highlighted could be causing it to just break off at a certain point. I've heard lots of people complain about this kind of auto-haircut.

The salon products you are using may not be what your hair needs. The cost of products is not necessarily related to their appropriateness for anyone's hair.

You're probably going to have to reconsider coloring at some point if your really want long hair.

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: April 29 2005 at 3:39pm

Wow... that sounds exactly like my story.  What Susan said was right though- hair gets to a certain point (and one of these is definitely midback) and grows ever so slowly.  It seems to happen once every 6 inches for me and it does last awhile.  The good thing is that your hair is growing, even if it's frustratingly slow.  Once it gets past that phase it should grow at a normal rate again.  But definitely keep doing the deep conditioning thing; it helps more than most other things I think.

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Print Page | Close Window