Print Page | Close Window

I feel sad

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30917
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 4:30am

Topic: I feel sad
Posted By: evovian
Subject: I feel sad
Date Posted: May 21 2005 at 4:27pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum, my desperation made me find you :)

I feel quite sad today, I have long hair for to my shoulders, and I usually wash, blow dry and straighten it every day... well now they've all taken effect my hair has become super dry and split ends I have lots :( (haha yoda voice)

Anyway, I need a regime or something, some help to get me back to well conditioned hair, I miss the shine. I've had a trim at the hairdressers today but I still have fly away hairs and split ends :(. I've read that putting oil in your hair conditiones it better than anything else? Should I try that, ooh and also how often should I wash my hair and straighten and such - thank you!

Replies:
Posted By: chgurlsng
Date Posted: May 21 2005 at 5:03pm

I know that feeling!  Hang in there because your hair can be beautiful if you have patience.  You may want to visit Anais's website at http://anaissatin.freespaces.com/ - http://anaissatin.freespaces.com/ .  She is taking a break from the forums for a while, so I knew she wouldn't be posting.  There is a TON of info. on there and you should check out her links to other sites, too.

-Char

*Edited because website address was incorrect.

Date Posted: May 22 2005 at 3:35am
Thanks for the reply, I've had a good look at that website. I think i'm just gonna leave my hair unwashed for a week or so, to get all oily and not dry :)

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: May 22 2005 at 11:07am
Hi evovian, and welcome!

How do you straighten your hair -- with an iron?  Doing that every day can wreak havoc on your hair (thus, the splits you are getting.  Are you using a protective leave-in beforehand?)   You may need to choose between straightened shoulder-length hair and longer hair that is wavy/curly (or whatever your natural texture is).

I might also suggest you try to dilute your shampoo in a plastic bottle (an old shampoo bottle works well) and apply to the scalp, massaging until it lathers.  You'll find that you use less shampoo, and more importantly, that your hair will be less dry, and in time your scalp may adjust by putting out less oils.  I also follow-up shampoo & conditioner with a diluted vinegar rinse.  It really helps to remove any product build-up, and leaves the hair very soft.

-------------

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 7:20pm
Oh, Evovian, everyday treatment like that will do you no good if you want long hair! AnaisSatin is a great source for info. I hope you find something that works for you.

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 1:42pm

Thanks for all the advice, and the friendly welcome!

DaveDecker> Yeah I had been straightening and blow drying my hair everyday, it had caused alot of split ends which i've now got rid of luckily, I'm just gonna maybe straighten it once a week and let my natural grease (eew) moisturize my hair. I'll be trying your shampoo and vinegar rinse tips next time I wash my hair.

Thanks again everyone, I was borderline tearfull when I first posted, you've made me feel good about my hair again

Posted By: deltagirl12345
Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 1:48pm

Hi Hi:

Welcome Evovian.

Give your hair a rest for a while. 

Susan

-------------
Susan

Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by evovian evovian wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, and the friendly welcome!

DaveDecker> Yeah I had been straightening and blow drying my hair everyday, it had caused alot of split ends which i've now got rid of luckily, I'm just gonna maybe straighten it once a week and let my natural grease (eew) moisturize my hair. I'll be trying your shampoo and vinegar rinse tips next time I wash my hair.

Thanks again everyone, I was borderline tearfull when I first posted, you've made me feel good about my hair again

Evovian 

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 7:34am
If the natural oils of your scalp start to get broken down by bacteria, you may get dirty head smell.  If you don't, thats great!  But going from washing every day to not washing for a week is a bit sudden all at once.  If you wind up unable to stand it, try to buy some jojoba oil and put that in your hair instead.

Another great conditioner is fatty mayonnaise (not low fat, not miracle whip).  Put it on your hair and leave it for an hour (you can wrap your hair in something plastic if you don't want it to get on you too much...it may still be a mess to do).   It is a great conditioner and may help give your hair a little shine.  The vinegar in the mayo acts like a very mild vinegar rinse which can help with shine, and the protein in the eggs and oils is the moisturizer.  Then shampoo and and condition as normal.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 7:29pm
Susan made a very good point... the vinegar helps reduce the bacteria on the scalp.  So, after a diluted-vinegar rinse, not only is the hair softer, but the scalp stays cleaner longer.  I'm basically at the point where my scalp doesn't get smelly at all after 1 week.  A bit oily and dandruff starting to form, but not smelly.  Without the diluted-vinegar rinse, the scalp would start to get smelly after about 4-5 days.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window