Print Page | Close Window

Sedu/Solia/MaxiGlide Flat Irons....?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31088
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 6:38am

Topic: Sedu/Solia/MaxiGlide Flat Irons....?
Posted By: femmgrangwav
Subject: Sedu/Solia/MaxiGlide Flat Irons....?
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 1:12am

My hair is napptural.  I was interested in flat ironing my hair.  I'm down to these three products..

Sedu

Solia

MaxiGlide

My question is....out of these three products whic is best for natural hair. 

For those of you who own the Maxiglide....I've read a review that it was heavy and the plates are too huge to get to ur roots.  What are your thoughts on the product...

Also....If I buy the products does anyone know the return policy if I don't like them?

Replies:
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 1:19pm

BUMP no one?

Posted By: Layla
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 1:31pm

I have a sedu and it works great; but my hair is relaxed. I've spoke with someone online that uses the sedu on her natural hair. The 1" is a good size flat iron to get to the roots. It makes your hair silky unlike other flat irons that just get it straight. 

I've heard the solia is amazing as well. I was choosing between the solia and the sedu.

Someone has a maxiglide listed on craigslist for $50.

Folica accepts returns within 30 days.

-------------
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Posted By: Callalily
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 11:12pm
Try the miniglide. Just like the maxiglide only smaller.  Or Sedu.  Never heard of Solia.

-------------

Posted By: Kim J
Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 6:44pm
I'm natural and I use the full size Maxiglide.  It works well for me.

-------------
-Happy Hair Days
Kim

Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 1:07am

Thanks everyone. If I order for Folica is there a reshelving fee?
Also the maxiglide that u saw on craigslists....for what state is it listed in?

Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 1:28am

Originally posted by Kim J Kim J wrote:

I'm natural and I use the full size Maxiglide.  It works well for me.

Is it heavy?  And do you find that the plate is too large?

Posted By: Supersugar
Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 1:03pm

If you send Folica a before/after picture they can use on their website, they will extend your warranty to one year.

My Solia works very well.

-------------
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.

Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 8:59pm
I think you just have to pay the shipping to send it back. I don't remember what state the iron on craigslist was. I've never been to craigslist before it just came up in my google results.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Supersugar Supersugar wrote:

If you send Folica a before/after picture they can use on their website, they will extend your warranty to one year.

My Solia works very well.

Wow that's good to know!! Thanks!

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 12:22pm

Originally posted by Callalily Callalily wrote:

Try the miniglide. Just like the maxiglide only smaller.  Or Sedu.  Never heard of Solia.

The miniglide doesn't have the steamburst

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 12:24pm

Originally posted by Layla Layla wrote:

I think you just have to pay the shipping to send it back. I don't remember what state the iron on craigslist was. I've never been to craigslist before it just came up in my google results.

Thanks I checked the site and as  you said they have a 30 day money back guarantee granted u pay for shipping.  That is a blessing!!

I did a google search and did find the craigslist post but it already expired.

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by femmgrangwav femmgrangwav wrote:

My hair is napptural.  I was interested in flat ironing my hair.  I'm down to these three products..

Sedu

Solia

MaxiGlide

My question is....out of these three products whic is best for natural hair. 

For those of you who own the Maxiglide....I've read a review that it was heavy and the plates are too huge to get to ur roots.  What are your thoughts on the product...

Also....If I buy the products does anyone know the return policy if I don't like them?

Overall, I've seen mixed reviews on the maxiglide.....

The Sedu is quite a bit over my budget

Soooooo, drumroll!!!!

I bought the Solia.  It should be here by Friday or Saturday.  I bought it from Folica so if I don't like it I can always return it.  If it doesn't work well with my hair then I'll save for the Sedu.

Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 4:40pm
what size did you get? im interested in the 3/4 inch one

Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 5:44pm
I got the 1 inch.

Posted By: maybeline46
Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 1:01pm
I have been using the maxiglide for about 8 mos.  May aunt bought two and gave me one.  I don't go anywhere without it.  My hair is natural and people think I have a perm.  I went to a new hairdresser and he wet a strand of my hair for a strand test before coloring and he said "honey your hair is curling right up, when is the last time you had a relaxer?" I have even let some up my girls with relaxers use it on their new growth, and they all wanted to get one.  To me, it is a miracle worker.  I get to my roots with no problem at all and I don't have to pull on my hair to get it through the teeth.

Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 1:25pm
Congrats on getting the solia. Those little pins on the maxiglide scare me.

-------------

Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 4:23pm
The pins on the maxiglide don't pull your hair because you are not actually closing the iron completely down.  The steam does most of the work for you without you and your hair should simply slide through. Also, you can take the plate with the pins off and use a smooth plate...my aunt does it that way. I used to press my hair with a hotcomb, but this way it is lighter and silkier, but just as straight!

Posted By: Princess1
Date Posted: June 03 2005 at 8:30pm

I am a little skeptical about the steam burst.. wouldn't that make our hair revert? my hairtype is 4a/4b.. do you think maxiglide would work for me?

-------------
To whom much is given, much is expected.
www.fotki.com/princess121

Date Posted: June 04 2005 at 7:42am
I think the steam is like when you're ironing your clothes. It doesn't make the clothes wrinkly again it helps get out stubborn wrinkles/curls.

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2005 at 11:37pm
I'll post my results with the Solia later tomorrow.

Posted By: Yolligirl
Date Posted: June 07 2005 at 1:58pm
I am new to these forums and I am glad I joined.  Layla, I'm glad to see your response for the Maxiglide, I just ordered it and I was wonder if I would be happy with the results.  Now I cannot wait to get it.   Thanks for the great review and instruction.

-------------
Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

Date Posted: June 07 2005 at 9:24pm
Actually that was maybeline who has the maxiglide. I've never used it I was just asking questions about it.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2005 at 11:55pm

Here are my results....

before...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245cb4f11be00000016108Aat2rlq0atp - http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245cb4f1 1be00000016108Aat2rlq0atp

After with Solia (I only did the front half):

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3f0900d00000016108Aat2rlq0atp - http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3f09 00d00000016108Aat2rlq0atp

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b39e906300000016108Aat2rlq0atp -

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3db111600000016108Aat2rlq0atp - http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3db1 11600000016108Aat2rlq0atp

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3ba904700000016108Aat2rlq0atp - http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3ba9 04700000016108Aat2rlq0atp

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3a2905f00000016108Aat2rlq0atp - http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d826b3127cce9245b3a29 05f00000016108Aat2rlq0atp

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 12:05am

The pics were taken after I came from outside.  The humidity was horrible!!

Is there a product I can use to concur my hair from frizzing and poofing out once I get outside?

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 11:09am

How hot did you have the iron?  Heat usually counteracts frizziness, so more heat - less frizz.  This will, however, damage your hair in the long run.

I use Biosilk Silk Therapy on each section before I put the iron to it.  It's a good heat protectant, adds slickness and smells great.

-------------
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 11:26am
very nice and thick hair . sorry i dont know what u could use for the frizz......

-------------

Posted By: BrownEyez2
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 1:14pm

Nice hair!  Have you tried Garnier Fructis anti-frizz serum? I've seen posts about this on other forums.

-------------
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 2:31pm

How hot did you have the iron?  Heat usually counteracts frizziness, so more heat - less frizz.  This will, however, damage your hair in the long run.

I use Biosilk Silk Therapy on each section before I put the iron to it.  It's a good heat protectant, adds slickness and smells great.

I had it set to the highest temp. as it said in the instructions for ethic hair.

Ok everyone when you put the heat protection on do you put rub it in your hands then apply to your hair and comb it thru or do you put the heat protection serum on each section as you go.

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by BrownEyez2 BrownEyez2 wrote:

Nice hair!  Have you tried Garnier Fructis anti-frizz serum? I've seen posts about this on other forums.

Thank you. I looked for it in Wal-mart and couldn't find it.

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 2:37pm

Originally posted by Renee Renee wrote:

very nice and thick hair . sorry i dont know what u could use for the frizz......

Thank you.

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 4:38pm
Each section.  Just because my ends need so protection so desperately.

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 7:42pm

I do have one more issue.....

MY ENDS. When I flat ironed my hair, the ends didn't look too good. I even trimmed them because I thought that was the problem.

It's like the ends are so curly they refuse to staighten. I blow dried my hair before flat ironing.

My hair was staight from the roots but my ends refused to budge.

By using the Garnier Anti-Frizz or the BioSilk Silk Threapy orDeep Brilliance Reflect.....will that help it straighten?

What am I doing wrong?

Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 9:53pm
i think you have to load it up with leave in conditioner

-------------

Posted By: Sistaslick
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 12:44am

Your hair came out great!  I love, love, love your natural hair too! You can also try using a setting lotion before you blowdry--lottabody works really well on cutting down the frizzies and flyaways.

How hot did you have the iron?  Heat usually counteracts frizziness, so more heat - less frizz. 

ITA.  Thats why alot of people prefer the ceramic irons b/c they heat up warmer than most irons with a more even, controlled heat.  The end result is a sleeker, salon-like finish. But like Supersugar said, using them too often can be too much on your hair.  I bought an FHI and used it on my mom- she loved the results.  I'll see if I can post the pics--

You can't really see the newgrowth as well but she's about 8 weeks post relaxer in the first pic. She's gonna kill me.

http://img109.echo.cx/img109/1582/momcomp0xv.jpg -

-------------

http://blackhairscience.com - The Science of Black Hair

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 12:10pm

Thanks!!  I'm seriously taking notes on all these suggestions I'm getting. 

Like I said earlier...I loved everything except my ends...So now I'll try with the suggestions.

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:24pm

I had the same problem - rough, crinkly ends.  And they seemed to get damaged so easily...grrr.  I used the iron to flip them out, but it would hold for maybe four days max and the ends would revert.

The best - the only - solution I've found was to roller set my hair on low heat for about 50 minutes, and flat iron the next day.  Before, when my ends were such a mess, I was airdrying completely.

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:43pm
Man I don't have a hair dryer to sit under....How much do they run?

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 2:41pm
i got mine for liek 35 or 37 bucks from sallys. its a gold n hot model

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 3:07pm
I bought one from Wal-Mart for about $27-- I think its a Conair or something

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 8:15pm
I just came from Wal-mart yet AGAIN!!.....and NO Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz and I was going around in circles looking for a Hair Dryer!!  Ugggghhhh

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 9:25pm
lol!  sorry to hear that girl!!!

-------------

Posted By: carameldiva
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 9:47pm
I love your natural hair, girl- it's looks great and i can't help with suggestions cause i have a wigo flat iron that i am in love with and it's not ceramic either.

-------------
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Posted By: Kim J
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 11:38pm
If you use  a leave in conidtioner and pressing oil it will help.

-------------
-Happy Hair Days
Kim

Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 1:56pm
the pressing oil won't sizzle?

Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 4:01pm
lol...no it wont sizzle...

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 5:10pm

Results for first half of head.....

After washing my hair....I deep conditioned.  Then I added Pantene Leave-In conditioner.

I sprayed my hair with Turn Up the Heat

And since I found BiolSilk Silk Therapy at CVS I applied it to each section of my hair as I flat ironed.

It looked okay at first but didn't shine at all.  And by the time I got the otherside of my head my hair was poofy!

Soooooooo, I decided to spray in some Almond oil to my hair...from root to tip....Can I say it worked!!!!

My hair is shiny and my ends are look great!

Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 5:48pm
great!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 5:52pm

Yeah!  Even though it looked good b4, I'm glad you found something that worked.....

-------------
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~

Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 8:12pm
Wow!  I wonder which of the three was what your hair needed most.  Sounds like the almond oil.  I'm glad that things worked out for you.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 11:24pm
awesome. yay for you!!

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 7:00pm

Hi ladies!  Here is a link to show you guys how the maxiglide works for my hair... hope it helps!

http://public.fotki.com/maybeline46/ - http://public.fotki.com/maybeline46/

Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:57am

Maybeline,

Your hair is beautiful. I would have thought it was relaxed from the pictures. I used my Maxiglide the first time this weekend and I agree, it is wonderful. My hair is relaxed, but I am considering transitioning and the Maxiglide worked wonderfully on my new growth.  It was very fast, since the temperature was consistant.  The pins on the Maxiglide did not pull my hair either. I'm in Texas and it is very humid, the last time I flat ironed my hair by the end of the day it was in a ponytail because it frizzed, it didn't happen with the Maxiglide.  I am a believer.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 10:27am
Thanks Yolligirl!  I am glad that this worked for you!  I think it is a great tool also!  I put bottled water in mine, but I am thinking of trying it with some rose water maybe!

Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 10:59am

When you use the rose water let me know. I used distilled. I am really happy with it this morning was very humid and I don't have a fro yet.

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:10pm
I will let you know how it works!  I am going to New Orleans in July and I might straightened my hair for the Jazz Festival...we'll see!

Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:49pm
U guys are sooo tempting my to try out the maxiglide!!

Date Posted: June 14 2005 at 1:22am
I think you should give it a try! You can probably return it if it doesn't work as well as you would like.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/maybeline46/

Date Posted: June 14 2005 at 7:02pm
Maybeline46 your hair is gorgeous!  Looove the highlights! I agree w/ femm, you guys are making it hard not to try the Maxiglide. Especially, since Yolligirl is in Texas( as am I) and she's not getting the frizziness by the end of the day in this heat!???!! I have that problem daily and usually end up in a ponytail, too. I just may have to try this...

-------------
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 10:12am

I'm having problems with the humidity now!  I ended up putting my hair in a ponytail because my hair became unruly!

Any thing I can do to prevent that?

Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 1:22pm

Hmm...I wouldn't know what to tell you about humidity, because we got it bad here in Florida, but when I do my hair with a Solia, it stays. 

Sounds like this flat iron isn't quite what you need.  Maybe you should go for the Maxiglide.  In the meantime, though, lay off the heat for a few days...give your hair a rest!

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 10:34am

Thank you Browneyez2!  Chile, if you only knew how my hair was looking the day he put that color in....He had to cut several inches off because it had been months since I got my ends trimmed and they were ra-guh-deee. I decided from that point on to take better care of my hair (protecting it at night, moisturinaing properly, all the info you guys give me here). 

I like the maxiglide because it uses steam and that makes me feel better about using the heat.  When I maxiglide, it lasts until I wash it again. Oh, and ladies, you can find most of those irons, maxiglide included on ebay if you want a deal.

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2005 at 10:40am
Steam scares me. It makes me think of bubble hair.

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2005 at 10:08pm

Originally posted by Layla Layla wrote:

Steam scares me. It makes me think of bubble hair.

U know I wondered about that b/c I read somewhere that u shouldn't flat iron ur hair wet.  So does the steam cause the same effect?

Date Posted: June 17 2005 at 10:12pm

Here's the info I got from the Pantene site:

Bubble hair

People will tell you that their bubble hair 'just happened', quite suddenly, after they had been doing the same things to their hair for a long time. Then all at once they noticed tiny 'bubbles' in the ends of their hair.
  Invariably, bubble hair is caused by some kind of heating appliance, most often curling irons.

These operate somewhere between 120 and 180 °C, roughly speaking. Water boils at 100 °C. If a hot curling iron is put on to wet hair, it boils the water inside the hair. The boiling water softens the keratin of the cortex; then the steam from the boiling water expands and forms tiny bubbles inside the hair. Eventually the hair breaks off, either at or somewhere near a bubble.
    Every woman who has used curling irons knows that they work better on some days than others. One day she may have them just a little hotter than usual: that might be just enough to cause bubble hair, and for the affected hair to break off.
    Although the sufferer usually claims that her hair was perfectly normal until she changed the hair product she was using, further enquiry always uncovers a history of increased or excessive cosmetic treatments. Usually bubble hair happens to people who are doing a lot of styling to their hair at home. And it is always, always associated with the use of heated appliances on damp hair.

http://www.pantene.com/haircare/hair_twh_97.htm - http://www.pantene.com/haircare/hair_twh_97.htm

Date Posted: June 19 2005 at 10:05pm

I guess the reason the maxiglide doesn't cause bubble hair is because the hair is pretty much dry.  I let mine air dry which doesn't take long.  The steam comes from a compartment in the iron and you push a button for it if you want to use it.  I think this way it is a different effect from putting a hot iron on wet hair.

-------------

Posted By: karenTh10012
Date Posted: February 08 2007 at 3:46pm

I love...Love...LOVE my Sedu flatiron!!! I have had it for 3 1/2 months and just love the way my hair looks and feels when I finish using it ... smooth, silky, soft and shiny!! I have very thick, coarse, wavy hair and with my flatiron I always look like I just stepped out of the salon. I used to have a cheap Revlon flatiron which would take me 4-ever to use and would always snag my hair. I live in South Florida and the minute I would step outside in the humidity, my hair would look like I hadn't done anything to it. With my Sedu, there is no more snagging...the flatiron just glides right through my hair making it soft and shiny. Now when I step outside in the Florida humidity and rain, I say bring it...they are no match for my hair!! This is rated the best because it IS the best. I even took my Sedu to Italy with me this summer. I used a really good converter that I purchased at Radio Shack and I paid really close attention to make sure nothing funky was going on, but it worked perfectly. Ladies, if you're sick and tired of walking around with coarse, frizzy hair like I was, do yourself a favor and purchase this flatiron...a small investment for something that can really raise your self-esteem. You know that when you look good, you feel good. You can be salon beautiful every day...isn't it about time you feel good about how you look?

Posted By: ladyflash
Date Posted: February 09 2007 at 6:37pm

I love my Solia!

-------------
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! http://public.fotki.com/quietladyflash/ - My Fotki Album

Posted By: swfsc
Date Posted: February 11 2007 at 7:37pm

Sedu is absolutely the best ceramic iron ever.

I have very curly hair and have never in my life been able to wear my hair straight in the summer. As soon as I walk outside (living in hot and humid area), my hair woudl instantly start frissing up, within a half hour it didn't even look like I had spend an hour straightening my hair. This is the only iron I have ever bought that straightens you hair and it actually stays that way. It leaves your hair feeling silky smooth. I have spent thousands of dollars on hair products over my life time and this is the ONLY ONE that works like it sayd it does. I would recommend it very highly. !

Print Page | Close Window