Print Page | Close Window

Blonde or Brunette.. Confused again!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31111
Printed Date: June 09 2024 at 1:51am

Topic: Blonde or Brunette.. Confused again!
Posted By: amymusic
Subject: Blonde or Brunette.. Confused again!
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 2:14pm

Hello all, some of you probably know about my constant transformations between blonde and brunette. I was blonde last year and went brunette last September(stayed brown for 7 mnths) and just went blonde again last month.

My problem is that I don't really know which one to stick with. I want to find a look and keep it, so it can be my trademark. I just don't know which is better suited for me. I personally love blonde hair, but I feel that brown hair looks better on me. (I am a natural brunette) At the same time, I think its more fun to have the blonde because I can wear pastel colors and have a summery look.  At the sametime, I like to have that vixen look as a brunette. Ahhh! I can't make up my mind! I need your help please! I know I asked this same question last year, but now that I am experimenting with extensions I think the colors are a big factor. Any suggestions, constructive critism, or any comments whatsover will be greatly appreciated. Here are pics of me brunette this april, and me in my most recent blonde.

Blonde (now):

Brunette:

(I realize these extensions are VERY long, but imagine them a much more natural length)

Replies:
Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 2:54pm
Hi there!
I would have to say that you look great as a blonde and a brunette. But I think the brown makes you look more speciall. I would suggest brown that is a few shades lighter than the one you have on the picture. Do you use permanent color or a toner? I would suggest a toner just incase you want be be a blonde again
Have you tried lowlights in your blonde hair? That could also look good.
In the end you are the one that has to be happy with your look and hair. Good luck, let us know what you deside to do.

Posted By: norskygrl21
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 3:10pm
I prefer the brown, and I  like it that dark because it has an auburn tint when the sunlight hits it. It is a very pretty color on you, more exotic than the cookie-cutter blonde shade (Although you look good as a blonde as well.) I would go with whatever shade feels like "you." Look at it this way, if you color it darker, you will have better luck with growing it out since it is less damaging than lightening. That way you could have length without extensions.

-------------
2C-Fine-Normal, 23 inches wavy Base of ponytail circumference: 4 inches
Goal: BSL, Approximately 2 to 3 inches from current length

Posted By: swede
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 3:47pm

I think you look great either way.

But you'll ruin your hair if you keep changing haircolor all the time.

So settle for one color, I'd vote for blonde :D

Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 6:52pm

Thanks. So far brown vs. blonde is 2 to 1.

Usually I wait a few months before I do a drastic color change, and I do constant protein fillers and deep conditioners to keep it in good shape.

-------------

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 7:00pm
I'm a natural brunette too.But I have to say that blonde shade brightens up your whole appearance.Not everyone can pull off blonde so well.Swede's right though its not good to go back and forth.Especially with such extremes.I personally think the dark hair looks better with less makeup.It frames your face and makes everything show up better,so less is more.But with the blonde the attention is on the light color around your face.So you can wear more makeup.Depending what you like. something to consider.Both look good though.I prefer blonde but my hair is much easier to maintain being dark.Less trims.I can actually grow it long.

-------------

Posted By: Wild-Kitty
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 7:28pm

wow u remind me so much of  myself

the difference is i go back and forth between blonde and red

i completley understand what u going through blonde is more fun u feel like there's a spot light is set on u and brunette u feel more special ur hair looks healthier and ur face appear more but when u change to brown u feel less glamour so u go back to blonde then u face another mood swing and on and on ...yes i know i been there

u look great either way i guess it's ur choice

but i vote for the brunette cause it look more healthy and even ur face appear more healthy and it bring out ur eye colour

good luck and keep us updated

Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 9:43pm
i vote for brunette. your hair is shinier and healthier looking. and it really brings out the color of ur eyes.

-------------
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)

Posted By: Camille83
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 9:58pm

Hmm this is a very hard one to decide because you look great as a blonde and also as a brunette so I would have to say blonde

Camille

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 5:56am
I vote that you start buying high-quality wigs instead of changing your hair color when you're in the mood for something different. It's time to consider that you may never be satisfied with one hair color all the time.

I've seen you look good as a blond, but the look you have now, while cute, doesn't look quite as natural as some you have had in the past.

I'd vote for brown.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 7:05am
I vote dark brown on you too.  (Of course you look good in both).

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Color_Diva928
Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 8:44am

Hello Amy!  I vote for brown.  Don't get me wrong, you look great in both colors, however, the blonde look is kind of passe to me.  So many people have the blue-eyed-blonde-haired "California Girl" look.  The brown is much more exotic on you, especially with your blue eyes.  If I were you, I'd keep the blonde for the Summer, and in the Fall, go back to brown, and stick with it!

Good luck! 

Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 4:51pm

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I may stick with the blonde for now because it cost $200 not including the tip to get the highlights I have and that was only last month. I would hate to go dark right now because it would be like burning all that money. Plus summer is coming upon us, and I just had a shopping spree and got a pretty summery pastel wardrobe, lots of light pinks, aquas, and mint greens. I will look healthier blonde with a tan, too. I love that blonde and tan look. Very beachy. I'll just try to enjoy my blondeness for now since I certainly paid enough to. When fall comes around you know I will be pulling an Anakin Skywalker and venturing back into "the dark side." :)

-------------

Posted By: Camille83
Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 7:03pm

GREAT CHOICE ANYMUSIC 

Camille

Posted By: Kuroneko
Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 2:36am
I vote for the wig idea!  Then you can be as daring as you want, even if you wanna try neon-green for the day, or see how you look in a pixie-cut, without any commitment ^_^ .  Wigs are great like that ^_^ .

-------------
More awesome than a manatee!

Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 10:31am
I did think of wigs, but I wouldn't want a wig that looks like a wig. You know what I mean? Like Cher's wigs look sooo real I didn't even know she wore them. But she spents thousands of dollars on them. Unfortunately, I'm not as financially blessed.

-------------

Posted By: Bambilee
Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 10:33am
I like how myserious lookin ur dark hair makes u, but it makes u very, very dark.
I like the blonde. I'm naturally dark haired and it just weighted way to heavy on my face, making me look washed out. I pick the blonde. It's cute and summery.

Rock On!

-------------
~* Bambi Lee *~

Posted By: irishroyal
Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 10:58am

I like you better as a brunette but why not have the best of both worlds, you can have the brunette as your main color, but at your part line, do blonde highlight just there, so if you part on the side you're a brunette, part in the middle you have blonde highlights, I do this on my clients that want to have a different in the color but not a full commitmnet of a full head highlights.

- Mags Kavanaugh ASKMAGS.COM

Posted By: sondraw
Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 2:14pm
Like everyone else has ssaid, you look beautiful both as a blonde and brunette.  I really like the brunette on you.  So i vote for the rich brown you've worn before. 

Posted By: Kuroneko
Date Posted: May 28 2005 at 11:27pm

Ah. . . I guess neon-green would be pretty easy to spot as a wig. . . dunno, though, I wore a blue wig out once and a woman complimented on how beautiful my hair was. . . didn't tell her it was a wig, of course ^_^ .  But anyway, so long as you wear wigs with either fake skin parts or mono tops, it's not really as obvious-- it's the unnatural skinless part that makes a lot of wigs so easy to pick out.

-------------
More awesome than a manatee!

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 6:45am
For the amount you spent on your clip-ins or your current hair color, you could have gotten a very nice wig. It is not necessary to spend thousands of dollars.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 1:43pm
You are right. Do you know any websites that have high-quality wigs? Something that looks very real. What kind of wigs do they use on SNL and Mad tv? They always look so real, like even around the forehead area.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 2:58pm
I like this site. I've never bought anything from them, but they have wigs in an extrardinary variety and in all price ranges.
http://www.bestwigoutlet.com/index.asp - Best Wig Outlet

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2005 at 10:08pm
Yeah, wigs can look nice you just have to take care of them.Plus you really dont have to spend a fortune for them to look nice.When I wore wigs I always just made sure it has a skin top.I bought a $30 platinum blonde wig once.And because of the fake scalp noone had a clue it wasnt mine.And I have super dark hair naturally.Wigs dont have to cost a fortune to look good.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2005 at 6:35pm

I did it! I went dark.. this time for good I think. Its amazing how the darkness can add such depth and shine! It looks so much thicker! And it actually gives me a glow. I'm starting to think all natural brunettes should stay brunette. It definately makes a huge difference next to the skin tone. 

I went with dark natural brown by wella. I used demi-permanent, since that is most gentle.

I will post pics soon. :)

-------------

Posted By: Wild-Kitty
Date Posted: June 06 2005 at 6:53pm
Congrats on Ur Choice  cant wait to see da picies

Date Posted: June 06 2005 at 8:45pm

Thats awsome.I Understand.I recently went back to my natural brown and I'm actually enjoying it.My hair looks and feels way better.I'm glad your happy with it.Last time I went back dark it was just too dark and I never really liked it.But this time it faded to just the right hue.Cant wait to see the pictures

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 8:50am

Okay here is a pic I took yesterday, unfortunately my digital camera has been acting up lately and is taking everything kind of blurry. In the picture, it looks like the same color I had before, but it's alot darker and its a natural brown with no red in it at all.

I'm getting pictures taken next month for my portfolio so those swill be clear enough to see the real shade that it is.

-------------

Posted By: bedhedgrl
Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 11:40am
My vote is for the chocolate brown - but I understand the need ....the need for change....wigs r a cool idea, maby toooo hot for summer.  What about 4-5 panells that you lighten to blond (face framing) and if you use a semi, can change...and change....and change again to any colour - neon green included, with your tone I might try a violet - and u can still be a vixen!!! Go 4 it girl !!!!

-------------
Bedhedgrl :>o

Posted By: Sugarloaf
Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:26pm
Definitely the right decision to go brown.  I know what you mean about blonde being cooler in the summer.  When I was a brunette, I always looked and felt too hot in the summer...no matter what I wore.  How about a thick blonde streak down one side of your head?

Posted By: Veronica F
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 7:13am

It looks good. It compliments ur good features. Hehe, have u ever contemplated going red?  Btw, i sing too, but unfortunately not as often as i should to get good exposure. Sorry this is off topic lol!

Posted By: eatgreenjello
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 11:33am

You are so funny about changing your mind, I am like that too.

I love brunette on you.  It makes your eyes bigger.  You are just gorgeous in any color!

-------------

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length

Date Posted: June 22 2005 at 8:13am
Amy I love your new presentation pic, you look smaching 

Posted By: haman
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:18pm
absolutely beautiful, why aren't there any babes like you where I live:)

Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:24pm
Perhaps you could post a bigger pic of your presentation pic?

Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 4:59pm
Vicky, are you talking abt Amymusic's Avatar pic?

Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 5:54pm
yes, i think she looks different in the outdoor lighting, it would be fun to se a bigger pic..

Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 6:42pm
Oh that isn't Amymusic though i got tricked too hehe..i believe that the indian actress Ashwarya Rai, she was one of the Miss Universe's and she was recently in Bride and Prejudice. But Amy's haircolor is the same as her's in that!

Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 9:34pm
Oh geez no thats not me, it is Aishwarya Rai. I can only dream of looking as gorgeous as her! I love her look, the way she does her makeup and her hair. She makes all those bleach blonde Hollywood celebs look bland.

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 5:46am
You fooled me amymusic 

Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:10pm
Amy u and her sorta look alike! Which is why it took me a while to figure that it wasn't u in the pic!

Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 8:57pm
fdg

!

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 5:05am
I agree with Veronica, you look alike. I just thought that the different lights (inside vs outside) made the difference...

Amy, you look really good in your new hair, nice color. How long is it now with the extentions? 

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 7:51am
Wow it looks amazing ...I'm thinking of geting extensions just on the back later of my hair cuz i want a hair cut that has longer bangs and then long layers throughout, but my hair is shoulder length rite now so i don't want to chop more hair off while its so "short" lol. Are the extensions u got ok for the hair? Thanx!

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 8:17am
sda

Date Posted: June 30 2005 at 4:06pm
ss

Date Posted: June 30 2005 at 11:02pm
awe, i can't see the pic. u look awesome as a brunette! u look dangerous. I like it better.

-------------
~* Bambi Lee *~

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 12:37am
cute pick. and i def like the hair color. you should go as lara next halloween, you kinda look similar to her as well.

-------------
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 6:23am
OMG amazing pic! lol, lucky u!

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 12:48pm

Looking at these pics of you with your long brunette hair makes me (the color chameleon that I am) want to consider going dark again. 

My natural hair color is actually very close to yours, but it's currently a rich medium red/auburn, similar to Lindsay Lohan's color before she went blonde.

The only thing that makes me think that going dark might be a mistake, is the fact that I'm fair-skinned, with dark eyes.  I think that part of the reason this dark color looks so good on you, is because you have blue eyes.  The contrast is very flattering.

Dark brunette with brown eyes might look boring, right?  The red that I have now is so vibrant that this may, in my case, be a change for the worse, instead of the better.... 

What do you think??

P.S. - Love the extensions, too!

Thanks. 

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 5:05pm

Dark hair and dark eyes are not boring at all! Maybe you could go with a rich chocolate brown. Chocolate brown hair, and brown eyes make an awsome look! If you get some color from the sun, a little tan would go well too.

Perfect example of brown eyes and brown hair combo

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 5:43pm

Lol i feel like a total "plain jane" in my nat. black hair and brown eyes! It's funny u say that  so naturally i keep it fiery red and i need glasses so i wear green contacts, hehe. Well its not like i don't think brown eyes are amazing or anything, i just sorta stuck w/ that look once i had tried the green contacts. For some reason they really stand out on me! Anyway, i think its great that u are a professional singer and into hair too...I thought i was the only one lol. I feel hair and music go hand in hand

p.s. sorry abt going so off topic

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 6:12pm
I think the same too. I love when girls who have bright blue eyes get dark hair. It looks amazing. I have naturally very dark hair... almost the color you have now Amy, and brown eyes. Never was very apealing to me. LOL.

Ah I got to see the pic. Yep taht's Lara alright. Looks great!

-------------
~* Bambi Lee *~

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 6:35pm

brown eyes and blonde hair is interesting too. like jessica simpson. catherine zeta jones and selma hyak are beautiful women with almost black hair and brown eyes.

Beauty comes in all colors.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 7:02pm
I love brown eyes and blonde hair!

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 8:30pm

yeah I agree.I love brown eyes with blonde hair.Like jessica alba and simpson.I know most people are used to seeing paris hilton with blonde hair and blue eyes.But she has brown eyes naturally and they look so pretty on her.I think they look much better than the blue.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=teenage+paris+hilton/v=2/SID=w/l=WS1/R=7/IPC=us/SHE=0/H=3/;_ylt=Aq8GQrSoZJbrY5l9qyKQ5VBXNyoA/SIG=12cjq3e8m/EXP=1120354636/*-http%3A//www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/2004_09.html - http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=teenage+paris+hilton/v=2/SI D=w/l=WS1/R=7/IPC=us/SHE=0/H=3/;_ylt=Aq8GQrSoZJbrY5l9qyKQ5VB XNyoA/SIG=12cjq3e8m/EXP=1120354636/*-http%3A//www.awfulplast icsurgery.com/archives/2004_09.html

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 9:19am
she looks so different with the pale skin and dark eyes. its weird but it kind of makes her look more classy. I think the overly dark tan, bleached out fried hair, and bright neon blue eyes make her look too fake.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 9:21am

Jessica Alba pulls off the tanned blonde look beautifully, as her skin tone already had golden undertones. 2 thumbs up for jessica.

If any of you girls have transformation photos of your hair from one side of the color wheel to another, please post it. I love to see before and afters of drastic haircolor changes.

-------------

Posted By: haman
Date Posted: July 04 2005 at 11:47am
I have to say you look great as a blonde and a brunette....have you ever had a dark base with chunky blonde hilites?

Date Posted: July 04 2005 at 11:53am
No offense but for some reason i never found jessica simpson pretty. I think angelina jolie and salma hayek are very pretty tho, to name a few

Date Posted: July 05 2005 at 2:21pm

You're right, Amy.  The pic you posted of Jessica Alba is a good example of dark hair and dark eyes looking anything but boring. 

I think I'm going to stick with my red hair though... 

I'm so afraid that the dark hair will lack the pizazz and vibrancy I  have as a redhead.

Date Posted: July 05 2005 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Color_Diva928 Color_Diva928 wrote:

You're right, Amy.  The pic you posted of Jessica Alba is a good example of dark hair and dark eyes looking anything but boring. 

I think I'm going to stick with my red hair though... 

I'm so afraid that the dark hair will lack the pizazz and vibrancy I  have as a redhead.

Posted By: kirstyx1888xmac
Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 10:12am
I VOTE BROWN

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2005 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by amymusic amymusic wrote:

Jessica Alba pulls off the tanned blonde look beautifully, as her skin tone already had golden undertones. 2 thumbs up for jessica.

If any of you girls have transformation photos of your hair from one side of the color wheel to another, please post it. I love to see before and afters of drastic haircolor changes.

Here is mine. I was much younger about 16 in my black hair but that is how it was before and then after... blonde. I'm 21 now. Not much of a difference in that. :)

Ahhh it's not even the same girl! Hahaha... brown eyes, blonde hair. There ya go. Drastic hey?

-------------
~* Bambi Lee *~

Posted By: ChelseaB
Date Posted: July 09 2005 at 1:13am
Bambilee, I think that you look great as a blonde. If I saw you on the street I would never have known that it wasn't natural.

-------------
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii

Date Posted: July 09 2005 at 5:59pm
ya it looks soo pretty on you! do you wear different makeup colors now?

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 1:47am

I really like that color on you bambilee.It still has the air of mystery that dark hair has,but really brightens you up.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 2:25pm
Why thank you guys.

I use bright colors now for makeup like pearly colors and blues and pinks while I usually wore darker colors like browns and plums when I had darker hair.
And of course I sometimes revert back to the ol, black eyeshadow eyliner phase I did so many years back... :)

Did you change your makeup stragey Amy? Cause you had bright colors in your blonde pictures... do you still use the same colors as you did as a blonde or did you change?

-------------
~* Bambi Lee *~

Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 11:32am

I took the plunge and went from a medium auburn red, to a dark neutral brown with caramel microlights (thin highlights). 

I wish I coud post pics to show everyone, but unfortunately, I'm yet to purchase a digital camera.

Anyway, I'm getting mixed reviews about the change...  Half of the people say it's a great change, while the other half say that with my peaches and cream complexion and dark eyes, red looks better.

Confused.... 

P.S. - What colors (make-up) do you think look best when you have dark hair and a fair complexion? 

Posted By: pamms
Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 12:36pm

I vote brunette.  Although I really think you look great either way, I think the brunette goes best with your eyes and eyebrows. 

Pam

Posted By: pamms
Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 1:19pm

If you use an all over brown on top of the highlighted blonde, will the brown be lighter on the areas that are currently blonde, or will it really be all over one color?

Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 1:29pm

The brown would probably still be lighter, as the highlighted parts were done with bleach.

I guess this new color needs to grown on me...  I was a redhead for quite a while, so, I suppose it will take time to get used to.  If I still don't like it after a week or so, I could always go back red, right?

Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 7:04pm
if you dye over the highlights, they will turn out darker. the highlights are going to be more porus that the other hair, cuz of the bleach. the hair will definately  turn out darker tahn the color swatch, for the porisoty reason again. get a shade that is at least 1-2 shades lighter than what you are shooting for.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window