Print Page | Close Window

newly devoted long hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31300
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 4:36am

Topic: newly devoted long hair
Posted By: Katriannal
Subject: newly devoted long hair
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 5:38pm

so i promised myself 2 years back that i was gonna grow my hair out.. of course that never came into play. i was supposed to grow it for grad 2004 but did a hair show right before my grad date and had short hair.. not to short.. as you can see from my pic it was up...

but i've finally trusly devoted myself to it.. by hair is layered.. and a little past my shoulders nothing to shout about... the ends are very dry and my roots(the only hair that hasnt been subject to my torture) is lookin wonderful.

i'm however driving myself crazy cause my ends are in terrible condition after the numerous times i've dyed it. not to mention i have swore off trimming cause of fear of what would happen if i possible sit in that chair.. though i do believe myself to have some self control at least now.

i would really like to know what i should do about my dry hair delima. before i go crazy and do something wack to it cause of bordem lol.. i love my hair very much.. and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Katrianna

Replies:
Posted By: Layla
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 6:52pm
Trim your hair yourself.

-------------
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Posted By: laststar
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 8:49pm
Good luck Katriannal,  and welcome to the board.  You could trim with the feyes method it seems to work well.

Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 11:02am
feyes? not familiar with that method. i must admit im kind of scared to trim my hair on my own.. and that may very well end up to b a disaster.. i think i'll wait till i could fully see my ends though that might be a while.. or beg the hair dresser to really only trim. thanks very much for the advice.. would like to know more about the feyes method though

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 11:50am

Feye's method is found http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/ - here . It's a method of trimming your hair by yourself. Take off as little or as much as you need to. The method is pretty fool proof.  However I think it works best for hair that is at least mid back length.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 11:55am

This will give you some info on the Feyes method.  Try this website Kat, I hope the site works.

http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/ - http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/

[Edited by Dave to fix url]

-------------
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist

Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 11:56am
Anais just beat me to it she put a link which is even better.  Thanks Anais and how do you create a link like that?

Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 12:06pm
star unfortunately the site didnt work... thanks very much anais.. though that method certainly wont work for me lol.. i guess i reall have to wait a lil while for my hair to grow .. thanks so much for the help..

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 1:49pm

I use this same method to trim my own hair.I used to only trim my own hair and am trying to get it long enough so i can again.

1.part your hair down the very middle of the back of your head.         2.take each side over the fronts of your shoulders.        &a mp;n bsp;         &a mp;n bsp;      3.Hold each section side tight with your fingers making a straight clamp on the hair.I'm sure you've seen how the pros do it.         &am p;nb sp;      4.Next cut straight across.Check each side to see if they measure up.

Its super easy.I think I actually figured it out years ago when I was feeling lazy.Turns out it actually worked better than any method i've tried.As far as trimming goes.I swore off stylists cause of getting ripped off and them always cutting so much hair that It didnt grow for  a year.My hair is still the same length it was last year. The trick to trimming IMO is cutting off only what needs it.That search and destroy method Anais has talked about is wonderful.And just because you see one split end an inch up doesnt mean every strand is split an inch up.My top layer is prone to splits the most(but I protect them with a leave in spray with Spf).So whenever my Ex stylist would see the top layer she would trim the whole thing Even though she knew I wanted to grow it out.Eventually I got fed up and decided to do it myself.As for the dry thing.Get a good deep conditioner and give your hair a badly needed break.No heat or chemicals.You will be suprised how much better it will look.Dryness can be remedied with lots of extra moisture.

-------------

Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 2:46pm

that's jus the problem.. it's soo hard finding a good deep conditioner.. im currently using the vo5 nourshing oasis in my hair.. it just ok.. i diluted the shampoo with water.. since it contains harsh surfecants.. i tried the sebastian reconstructing deep conditioner once and it seemed to to work fine.. i gues i have to try it again.. and i sit with a heat cap on for 1-2hrs.. and take it off and jus leave it in to soak... i just wish in all the natural recipes i have one would actually work.. and i dont have the heart to try avocado in my hair.. which i think would help the most.. caus ei LOVE eatin it soo much  

i'll definitly try the method you use to trim you hair though.. thanks so much.. my bf will kill me he's been beggin me to grow it out.. but my ends really do need some help... i'll try my best to keep it moisturised but its proving to me a very hard task.. thanks very much

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: June 01 2005 at 6:43pm

Definitely try search & destory Katrianna.  I've probably saved about 2 inches of hair from the hairdresser by cutting it that way.  Just make sure your scissors are REALLY sharp.

Also, if you don't already, try brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush.  That will help distribute your hair's natural oil from your roots to your tips and your ends won't be as dry.

And just remember that hair that has been chemically processed a lot needs a lot of extra care and a lot of time to recover.  But it'll be totally worth it in the end

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Date Posted: June 02 2005 at 11:53am

thanks for the advice.. no i dont use a boar bristle brush.. i'll have to purchase one. thanks again!  

Kat

Posted By: deltagirl12345
Date Posted: June 02 2005 at 12:51pm

Hi Hi:

Kat - I am also scared to trim my own hair.  Try to find a stylist that you TRUST.

Susan

-------------
Susan

Date Posted: June 02 2005 at 1:06pm
lol at least im not alone!

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: June 02 2005 at 1:29pm

Just jumping in to say that boar bristle is not for everyone. It is not for most wavy or curly hair types, and oftentimes is too harsh on fine hair. It pays off to buy a cheap one and try that first, before splurging on a big one only to find yourself not using it.

Hope this makes sense

Anais

p.s. to make links that go like http://www.google.com - this , just highlight some random text and click on the Earth button, kinda next to the Spellcheck. A window pops up that asks for a URL. Put in a URL and click OK, and you will have a highlighted text link. Happy Linking

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Print Page | Close Window