Print Page | Close Window

Favorite books

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Friendship Forum
Forum Description: Make friends, post about off topics unrelated to hair or beauty but please keep it friendly.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31597
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 2:40pm

Topic: Favorite books
Posted By: Skzz
Subject: Favorite books
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 7:19am

Hey all, I've been looking for some good books to read. I really love historical-fiction novels and documentaries. I just finished reading Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and I recommend it! What are your favorite books?

Replies:
Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:49pm

Hi Skzz! I would recommend to you anything by Umberto Eco, his books are a feast of imagination, history and intelligence! I also recommend Alexandar Hemon´s "The question of Bruno" and if you can find The Christmas oratorio : a novel / by Göran Tunström, well, then you´re in luck!

Happy read!

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: Beautifulinblue
Date Posted: July 13 2005 at 7:29pm

I dont know if its your taste, because alot of people dont enjoy her stories, but I personally think Jackie Collins has some terrific books. I just finished reading Rock Star and I loved it every minute of it.

The World is Full of Married Men by Jackie is also a great book.

I also like Danielle Steel- The Long Road Home, Bittersweet and Vanished.

-------------
Pain is inevitable; Suffering is optional

Posted By: KingJames23
Date Posted: July 28 2005 at 4:26pm
as you like it by shakespeare is a good book its nothing but drama

-------------
B.M.F PIMPIN WE NOT A SQUAD WE A MOVEMENT.

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 5:39am
I second the opinion about Umberto Eco. Loved "The Name of the Rose."

Posted By: Skzz
Date Posted: August 12 2005 at 10:42am
Wow, thanks for the replies. I'll start looking into those titles.

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: August 15 2005 at 3:20pm
Agatha Christie?

Posted By: romsky
Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 4:46am
Why don't you guys try sidney sheldon's?

Posted By: _thumbelina_
Date Posted: November 23 2005 at 3:13pm

I cannot believe no one has mentioned Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Best book ever written. Hehe I've been reading that book over and over since I was like 8 (15 now), it's such a moving story.

"I pray one prayer, I repeat it till my tongue stiffens, Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you, haunt me, then!... Be with me always, take any form, drive me mad, only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!... I cannot live without my life. I cannot die without my soul."

Swooooon Heathcliff!

-------------
"You were the movie of my life, starring you instead of me"

Posted By: Pampinetta
Date Posted: November 24 2005 at 3:44pm
Yeay, Wuthering Heights!! But don't forget Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, it's really good too. And anything by Margaret Atwood, especially Alias Grace.

Posted By: Kuroneko
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:59pm

Hmm. . .  pretty much anything by H.G. Wells or Jules Verne *likes classic science-fiction* . . . Dr. Jackyll and Mr. Hyde (actually a very sad story, at least the way I read it). . . The Outsiders (the book I loved best in school), Lord of the Flies (a book I loved in school and appreciated all the more, later), To Kill a Mockingbird (a book I hated in school, but came to love later). . . Peter Pan in all incarnations (including his genesis in Small White Bird, which I took out a very vintage copy of once from the library). . . I guess that's enough for now.  May post more later once some more hit me.

-------------
More awesome than a manatee!

Posted By: cookie23
Date Posted: March 01 2006 at 9:36am
hey you should try faye or johnaton kellerman. ive just finished flesh and blood by johnaton and loved it

-------------
cookie xoxox

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:10am
I loved the Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman.  Its marketed to be for adolescents, but I think that's a mistake (there are a lot of people who don't want to buy something called Dark Materials for their 12 year old).   As an adult I enjoyed the heck out of all 3 books in the series (first one is The Golden Compass).

I also love Neil Gaiman (just read Good Omens for the second time).

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: AggiePam
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

Hmm. . .  pretty much anything by H.G. Wells or Jules Verne *likes classic science-fiction* . . . Dr. Jackyll and Mr. Hyde (actually a very sad story, at least the way I read it). . . The Outsiders (the book I loved best in school), Lord of the Flies (a book I loved in school and appreciated all the more, later), To Kill a Mockingbird (a book I hated in school, but came to love later). . . Peter Pan in all incarnations (including his genesis in Small White Bird, which I took out a very vintage copy of once from the library). . . I guess that's enough for now.  May post more later once some more hit me.

Science Fiction, have you read any Orson Scott Card? He's the best.

I agree about Mockingbird- I didn't like it so much in school, but love it now. Mostly I read Young Adult fiction now (I'm a teacher becoming a librarian soon). Soooo many great authors out there. I don't know where to start. Chris Crutcher is awesome and Scott Westerfeld. But for adult novels.... My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult... a novel you won't soon forget.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:23am
I second you on Orson Scott Card!  I LOVED the Alvin Maker series.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: jjolove187
Date Posted: May 07 2006 at 12:58am
Fabulosity by Kimora Lee Simmons. It's simply the best IMAO.

Posted By: *~earthangel*~
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 11:26am
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren tops my list. It makes you think.  Love It.

-------------
http://www.public.fotki.com/EarthAngel1886/ - My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur

Posted By: mojojojo
Date Posted: September 17 2006 at 9:23am
I third/fourth To Kill a Mockingbird.
--Pride and Prejudice
--Animal Farm
--Sophie Kinsella's books for light reading. Her daffy heroines are pretty funny.
--J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. Don't laugh. They're wonderfully witty and fun.
--High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

-------------

Posted By: Cherryblsmgrl
Date Posted: September 30 2006 at 10:36am
Off the top of my head, some of my faves include:

The Lovely Bones-Alice Seabold
The Pact-Jodi Piccoult
Memoirs of a Geisha-Arthur Golden

-------------
Follow Your Bliss

Posted By: miss godiva
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 11:00pm
Did I mention that I'm an obsessed harry potter fan... well i am so my book choice would be hmmmm harry potter
Also Adeline yen mah's autobiography falling leaves trust me you will get hooked and want to read anything she has written.

Posted By: King Cash
Date Posted: April 17 2007 at 5:06pm
Yea! Harry Potter is the greatest.

-------------
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/12/8/f_sigma008m_7947f3e.jpg&srv=img37">
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc

Posted By: King Cash
Date Posted: April 17 2007 at 5:07pm
do you know when the next book comes out?

-------------
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/12/8/f_sigma008m_7947f3e.jpg&srv=img37">
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc

Posted By: mojojojo
Date Posted: April 17 2007 at 5:14pm
Harry Potter and the the Deathly Gallows will be released on July 21st. Order from Amazon now, and you'll have the book delivered the day of release.

-------------

Posted By: miss godiva
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 12:18am
Less than 100 days to go, not that I'm counting:]

Posted By: hairflair
Date Posted: May 23 2007 at 10:16pm
Mine would be anything by Alice Hoffman and Francesca Lia Block.

Posted By: BenBlaze
Date Posted: May 24 2007 at 8:56pm
mine has to be The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souldja

and Dutch by Teri Woods (K'wame Teague)

-------------

Posted By: bbsbeauty
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 9:40am
I like "The Stainless Steel Rat" by Harry Harrison

-------------
http://www.brightonbeautysupply.com/ - Brighton Beauty Supply

Posted By: xEolhx
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 10:08pm
I dont know if its your taste but I strongly think that anyone can enjoy the book Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. It will change the way you think forever.

Posted By: Walk Softly
Date Posted: March 13 2008 at 1:19pm
yeah,  i liked mitch albom's the five people you meet in heaven.  fast read, stuck with me a long time.  also dean koontz' from the corner of his eye.

Posted By: bookbabe
Date Posted: March 15 2008 at 8:27pm

I've read so many i'm not sure what my fave is but heres a few at the top Coldest winter ever Sister Soilja(sp) Huslters wife Nikki Turner gone for good Harlen Coben Man in the basement Walter Mosely I could go on foreverGeekteehee

Posted By: laydyl
Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 2:23pm
My favorite book is 1984.  For the time that it was written, it's a very compelling (and disturbing) tale.  And almost draws parallels with things we can see happening in the world today.

Posted By: cream
Date Posted: August 24 2008 at 10:37am
what more can i say, im a harry potter fan.. ^_^ 

-------------
- cream -

Posted By: michaelhoffman
Date Posted: May 12 2010 at 2:26am
< ="CONTENT-" content="text/; charset=utf-8"> < name="GENERATOR" content="Office.org 3.1 (Linux)"> < ="text/">

My favorite books has to be "The Road". It paints a pretty bleak picture but highlights how sheer will and determination can get you to press on when all hope would be lost otherwise.

-------------

Posted By: Gary45
Date Posted: June 08 2010 at 9:00am
I have read Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver... very interesting book,  is a bestselling novel

Posted By: shelly12345
Date Posted: October 11 2010 at 2:07am
I am reading "The Power of Now:A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment" by Eckhart Tolle. I think it is a good book.
http://books.google.com/books?id=sQYqRCIhFAMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=subject:Body,+Mind+%26+Spirit&hl=en&ei=rbayTIvRBoyIvgP3j7DUCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBg -

-------------

Posted By: royalmewigs
Date Posted: November 15 2010 at 2:03am
like  Harry Porter Series very much

-------------

Posted By: serro
Date Posted: January 05 2011 at 1:03pm
you must read "Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi - Mesnavi"  Rumi has so big information about life & sufism... very interestly book ;) 

-------------

Posted By: Kirbie
Date Posted: January 13 2011 at 12:43am
Why not try to read Rage of Angels written by Sidney Sheldon. I have finished reading it and I can say it is a good book.

-------------

Posted By: nitawebb
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 5:01am
Books are our real friends. I fond of reading books. I read many books But I like 'ramayana'. This is our holy book. This book was written by 'valmiki' In this book we learn many things like respect, discipline, family support, responsibility, happiness and so on. This book is heart of Hindu culture.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window