Print Page | Close Window

Touching hair?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31605
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 2:32am

Topic: Touching hair?
Posted By: AmberJune
Subject: Touching hair?
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 12:45pm

Hey all!  Just wanted to start out with saying Thank you to all of you!  I love this forum...its soooo addictive!!   All of you are so helpful.  You all are like family!

Anyways, I tend to touch my hair ALOT.  The back of my hair tends to get a little fuzzy sometimes and flips different directions so I am always "petting' it tryin to get it to lay a certain way.  Is this bad?  I think I have heard somewhere that touching without washing your hands can put bad stuff in your hair?  (I know that sounds weird)  ...Anyone know about this?

, Amber

-------------
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01

Replies:
Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:51pm

As long as it's not compulsive and constant. If it's the nape of your neck, the hairs are finer than the rest of your head. Of course you HAVE to touch your hair because... well... it's your HAIR.  but the worst touching can do (if it's not compulsive) is distribute oils and get your nape oily in a shorter amount of time.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 6:19pm

AmberJune, I share your feelings about this forum. I must have been here for years now...

Enjoy your hair, I canīt see how fixing with it a little during the day can hurt it! If youīve got it, flaunt it, isnīt that what they say?

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 7:40am
I think the only problem is if you just got something on your hands you wouldn't really want in your hair (like if you just ate a chocolate bar with your hands, you're likely to get a lot more oil in your hair).  Your natural skin oils won't be bad for your hair, they'll just make it look oily quicker like Anais said.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: June 11 2005 at 3:34pm

I agree with Susan W... a little touching can't hurt your hair. 

When I touch my hair too much my hands tend to get a little greasy, which I guess means that I'm also distributing my hair's natural oil onto my hands. 

However, what do you guys think about other people touching your hair?  Lots of people like to touch my hair when they're complimenting it (or when I'm wearing braids they like to grab them and jokingly pretend to "steer" me with them) and sometimes it seems a little gross, like... who knows what those people touched beforehand, right?  But I would assume that any germs and other stuff would come out in a wash/clarify though.  I don't know.

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Posted By: Amazing Grace
Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 10:15am
My feelings about someone else touching my hair really depends on who it is and what they are doing.

If I trust someone (usually male) and they run their fingers through my hair in a caressing sort of way, I'll melt all over the floor in a relaxed puddle.

I also like it the few times I go to the salon and someone washes my hair (unless they're really rough.)

If someone comes up behind me and pulls my hair to get my attention, I tend to get annoyed.

If someone I don't know well touches my hair for any reason, I feel like they're invading my space. Depending on what they do, it's almost a feeling of being violated.

I think touching someone's hair is the same as touching their body - it's a personal thing and we need to be sensitive to the individual.

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: June 14 2005 at 1:31pm

It disturbs me not in the least to see a woman fuss with her hair, though I once had a long-haired natural blonde boss who spent the whole meeting nervously twirling her tendrils. She should have put it up, but thankfully there were no quizzes at meetings' ends. I may have misspelled my own name at that point!

As for me touching another's hair, it will never happen. It's wrong in my view, an invasion of another's space.   Bob

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: June 15 2005 at 12:02pm

Originally posted by Amazing Grace Amazing Grace wrote:

I also like it the few times I go to the salon and someone washes my hair (unless they're really rough.)

oh my god, i love that too!!!!!

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Posted By: Suers
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 6:53am
Touching your own hair isn't bad, only if you have a job like nurse or chef where touching your hair would be unsanitary.

I found that the flips turned into waves as my hair grew longer. So be patient.

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: June 17 2005 at 3:24pm
I hate people touching my hair. I rarely happens, though, we swedes (especially the northern ones) tend to keep our distance!

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: Sunsailing
Date Posted: June 19 2005 at 2:10pm

AmberJune,

I don't know how some people got off your topic  (talking about hair being touched by others), but to answer your original question...it depends.

It is best for long hair to be touched as infrequently as possible. The more you (or something) touches it, the more chances for damage. You patting your hair to make it lay straight will not do damage. But think about all the things that your hands touch during the day (objects, soap, lotion, people, animals, etc.) and what you could be transferring to it. The longer your hair, the more careful you have to be.

When touching, the number one rule is Be Gentle

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 06 2005 at 6:58pm
Hey AmberJune (and Sunsailing too!),

I don't think it can hurt to touch your hair a lot.  I mean, your fingers aren't sharp or rough, are they?  Now if you have rough nail edges and are dragging them through your hair, that's a different scenario -- and one you want to avoid.

Only one bit of advice, though.  You may want to refrain from "excessively" touching your hair in "inappropriate" situations, such as when you are talking with other people in a professional setting, or at church... Otherwise, I say go ahead and touch your hair all you want to.

-------------

Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 3:18am
i heard touching hair often causes frizzes?

-------------

Posted By: enfys
Date Posted: July 09 2005 at 4:43pm
Renee, I think that would only be the case if you are damaging your hair through touching it, rather than actual touching.  If your hair scags on your jewellery it will get damaged.  Or horrifically tangled up in a three part jointed crocodile ring.  In work.  Not that I'd know.  Ahem.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea - http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 4:12pm
enfys - Ouch! 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window