Print Page | Close Window

need same length but less boring cut

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31892
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 2:30am

Topic: need same length but less boring cut
Posted By: LimeGirl
Subject: need same length but less boring cut
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 3:11pm
hi everybody,
I'm been looking around here for awhile and now want to post one of my own questions.  I am going to get my haircut (by somebody new--eeks!) on saturday and need some advice.  my hair is stick straight, brunette with tons of blonde highlights of various shades, very thick, pretty much all one length except for some subtle layers around my face, and falls about 8" past my shoulders.  I do really love my hair and get lots of compliments on it, so you can probably understand that my vanity (while shameful) causes me to live in total fear of a bad haircut.  So anyway,  I had a consultation with a young stylist at a local (expensive) salon who told me "Oh, I can't WAIT to cut your hair!" which truthfully scares the crap out of me.  The last time that happened was three years ago and I ended up with a mullet that took me awhile to recover from.
So my point is, I don't want a FUNKY haircut that I have to style too much, but I would like some layers (my face is a little long) in the front and less weight in the back.  any suggestions or photos?

Replies:
Posted By: DM61
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 7:00pm

Hi LimeGirl, welcome.

I would run the other way, as fast as you can and find a different stylist's. I think she wants to cut the HELL out of your long hair. Take your time and find a stylist that will listen to you and work with you. Good Luck.

David

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 8:06pm
When I read your post I had a similar reaction as David. I don't think that stylist is right for you either.

It is possible to cut less than an inch off of hair and change the look. It's as simple as how the stylist holds the hair while they cut or how you have your head tilted. You say you want the same length yet a new cut.

I'll use Feye's page as an example.

http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/index.html

On her page you can see 3 different shapes on basically the same length hair. You could try something similar.

Or you could try some sort of layers. They could be just a few on the side near the ends or you could do more.

Look through the HB Gallery to see if you see some styles. Don't be afraid to look at shorter lengths. You can always take something from a shorter style and put it on a longer length.

Keep in mind things like how much time you want to spend on your hair. Some layers don't look nice unless you iron or blow dry them. Are you used to wearing a certain updo or ponytail? Layers sometimes make updos look different. Pieces end up sticking out where you don't want them to.

As far as that stylist goes, I'm not trying to tell you not to cut your hair. I'm saying make sure you go with a stylist who is going to cut it your way and not theirs. Try going to some salons that offer free consultations. Go there and just talk to the stylist for a few minutes and then leave. You can bring a notebook and pictures or drawings if you have them. Pretend you're doing a school project. Then after you visit a few stylists you can pick out the one that seemed to listen to you the best and gave the best options. If they do offer a free consultation you might want to leave a small tip for their time but that's up to you.

In the meantime keep checking in here and I'm sure you'll get a few more suggestions.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: June 17 2005 at 3:18pm

I think your intuition about the stylist is a good guide. If you donīt trust her, donīt go there. Some stylist feel they get paid to make the decisions also, which probably suits most people, but not someone like you, who has a good sense of your own style.

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 06 2005 at 6:49pm
Hi Lime Girl, and belated welcome!

So tell us -- what's transpired in the past few weeks?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window