Print Page | Close Window

Need advice about my dry ends!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32070
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 2:32am

Topic: Need advice about my dry ends!
Posted By: Valeri
Subject: Need advice about my dry ends!
Date Posted: June 21 2005 at 3:54pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and first off want to thank you all for your weath of information.

I have fine, slightly wavy hair which is about 16' long with long layers starting at my chin. I am growing my hair as long as I possibly can while trying to keep it healthy at the same time. I recently had a 4 inch trim. My ends are still in bad condition (about 3 inches) are dry. They are not split tho' just very dry. I don't want to get another trim right now because I don't want to lose 3 more inches. My next trim will be in about 8 weeks from now and I plan to get an inch cut off but since not all of the damage will be cut off will it continue to travel up the lengths of my hair? I have recently stopped blowdrying and using cones.

Thank you,

Valeri

Replies:
Posted By: AmberJune
Date Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:17pm

Well, if your ends aren't split then they aren't damaged...they are simpley DRY.  I suggest just getting a good deep conditioner and using it...or try some oil.  Theres no need to trim an inch off your hair if its not damaged and only dry....you can fix dryness...you CAN'T however fix splits without a trim.  Don't cut off what you don't need to! (o:

HTH ....Amber

-------------
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: June 22 2005 at 1:47pm

Welcome to the board, Valeri!

I agree with AmberJune... your hair may be dry but that does not mean it's damaged.  Invest in some new conditioner- BedHead Moisture Maniac and Redken AllSoft are good on dry hair (though the AllSoft does contain some cones). 

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:11am
Hello Valeri! As you have no doubt seen, many of us favor jojoba oil to fight dryness. Thatīs because it really works. I sometimes oil the whole length (not soak, but grease it up), bun it and leave it like that for a day, before i wash. Works wonders. But I have tried canola oil and it will work too.

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:34pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad that I don't have to cut off my ends. I will try a good moisturing conditioner and some oil on the ends! 

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 10 2005 at 4:42pm
Hi Valerie!  Belated greetings and welcome. 

You don't need to worry about damage spreading up the hair shafts.  Only split ends have any tendency to "travel upwards" and that assumes you are treating your hair very roughly (such as harshly brushing out tangles until they snap).

Giving up on the cones and the blow-frying will help its condition, too.   I'm betting you get good growth as time progresses.

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2005 at 9:54am

Thanks Dave,

I'm glad I don't have to cut the ends off!

I've started using conditioner that doesn't have cones in it. I don't use any stying products and I no longer blow-dry. I've started using jojoba oil. My hair is much softer. It was hard giving up the cones as they made my hair softer but I know over time they will end up making my hair dry!

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: July 11 2005 at 1:20pm
I just wanted to add that not clarifying could make dry ends worse. Don't forget to do those vinegar rinses 

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: July 14 2005 at 2:49pm

Thanks Anais,

I clarify once every 10 days or so. I'm using a gentle clarifier I got at a heath food store. I want to start the ACV soon tho' !

Print Page | Close Window