Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32210
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 3:53am

Topic: Advice needed! On dying my hair black! :D
Posted By: Timothy miles
Subject: Advice needed! On dying my hair black! :D
Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 9:36am

Heya Everyone,

My name is Tim Miles, I'm from South Wales in the UK and i have a few questions maybe some could help me with :)

Ever since i started liking Rock Music i have wanted my hair black,

I recently decided to dye it Black (Semi perminent) and it turned out black but not the black i was after. My problem is it is dark but you can still see my natural darkish brown colour when the light is on it. When light isn't on it, it looks black.

I want to dye my hair perminent black because i then no it will look proper black....i have been told that it looks very un natural....this isn't what i'm worrying about, i'm worrying about the consequences of dying it a perminent colour......My skin is pale and i have blue eyes and my hair at the moment with the black colour suits me fine so a permanent would suit me....it's just if i ever wanted to change my color from black to my natural colour would it be very difficult?

my hair is also long like the typical rock music loving person and i wouldn't want to risk it falling out. Can anybody giv me some advice on what to do and give me some help in allowing me to imagine what permanent would look like.

NEED HELP urgently

Thanks very much all:D:D

Tim.

Replies:
Posted By: eatgreenjello
Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:09am

You did the right thing by going with a semi-black.  Since you are pale, you would look even whiter by going with a harsh black in permanent.  And, if you dye with a permanent over the semi-black, you will do more damage to your long hair.  Don't forget to condition!!

That's cool you love rock (me too) and want to portray a great rock image.  Go ahead and look for a soft black permanent if you really want to go blacker, oh, or you could try some black permanent lowlights through your hair, instead of all over.  To do the lowlights,  you could buy a cheap mascara, and rinse off the wand, then dip the wand in the black hair dye, and comb it in random places on your head.  Since you have dark brown hair anyway, true black may not look sooo harsh, compared to if you had lighter hair.

Goodluck rocker!

-------------

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length

Posted By: Veronica F
Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:30am

Yes but don't use Feria black cuz then if u wanted to use a color remover like colorfix it will be difficult to take it out, try nice and easy by clairol or something since u really wanna go permanent.

No offense, but don't you think the whole dying lighter hair black thingy is a little cliched? Oh well, whatever work for u!

If ur worried abt the brown showing through then u should probably use blue-black...hope this helps

Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 11:35am

Thanks guys great advice!

I was told that if you dyed your hair semi perminent black and brown still shows slightly then about 1 week later when your hair has had a rest you can dye it again semi perminent and then it will be a deeper black and wud still wash out.....

I am willing to give this ago because i'm quite unsure whether perminent would be too good!

Thanks for all the advice!:D:D

Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:08pm

Oh yeah that's a better way to go deep black! Yes u should def. give it a go and if ur still not satisfied then u can resort to permanent..good luck!

Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 3:43pm

Yeah deep black would be exactly how iw ant it but am unsure whether semi on semi would work...i'mpretty sure it would:D

Thanks For All The Help:D

Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 5:31pm
To answer ur question, yes it would becuz it will help deepen the color even more thus making it come out the shade shown on the swatch. Also, u'll want to keep the color fresh so try to get a good color depositing shampoo/conditioner for black hair.

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 7:24am

Heya Veronica F.......

Thanks for all the advice!:D

Your a ledgend....you have really helped me out:)

Thanks again

Tim...

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 8:49am

Awww thanx ...I'm glad it worked out for u!

Posted By: fullxdiva
Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 9:21am

Heya TM,

I just recently came out of that faze of rinsing my hair black. I was using a semi-perm hair color also, and was having the same problems, my natural brown was starting to show through after about a week or two. But I do PT(physical training) four days out the week and use wrap lotion in my hair often, which helped the fading process. I was reading your responses and was going to suggest using a shampoo and conditioner designed for color treated hair but Veronica has already squared you away on that issue. I re-colored my hair every four weeks and as long as I kept it conditioned, I had no problems with it drying out.

If your having doubts about going permanent then it's probably better to just stick it out with the semi, especially if there is a chance you may want to revert back to your natural color.

-------------
"Not Lucky Just Blessed"

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 9:50am

thanks very much :D

for the advice

will take it in and keep it in mind:D

thanks for your time:D

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 1:49pm

Heya Guys!

I just wanna ask a few more questions.........

I have just washed my hair for the first time since i dyed it and the difference in colour is very noticeable, ealier today it was black it is now dark brown.....

I used head and shoulders

Pantenne Conditioner

my hair is now dark brown and i don't like it this color i like it black....

If i were to dye it semi on top of semi would it look black still after the firs few washes.....or should i just go straight to perminent as i do like this color and want it as my color for some time....however not for long long periods and one time i would like it removed but then i know the damages of this.

Could you guys give me some major help and advice on like the pros and cons of using each and what you would recomend.

Thanks so much!:D:D

Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 5:08pm

Ah now i see good reason as to why ur hair faded already...its the head & shoulders which is responsible. Please if u want to keep the color fresh do NOT use dandruff shampoos (like h&s) it works at stripping and fading a lot of the color! I hope this makes sense ..If i were u i would go ahead and re apply the semi again and gives it 48 hrs for the color to set in and meanwhile u should look for a color depositing shampoo atleast (lol). I recall that in Europe they have tony and guy's color depositing shampoo in all the colors, different reds blondes browns and for black as well!!

However, if u feel it still fades too much for ur liking then go ahead and use the permanent, but i can't guarantee that the fadage factor will be any less!! It's true, lol.

Well that's all i got for now!

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 4:02am

Once again Veronica You have helped me greatly!!

Miricle! lol

umm before i go can i ask you what is color depositing shampoo....i have pantenne pro v for coloured hair but by the name of the shampoo you have said it deposits more color on your hair...where could i buy some of this....

bearing in mind i live in the United Kingdom and you in the US.

Any sites on the net?

Where in the US do you live?.....I love the US me and my family have been there all of 14 times lol 9 times to florida and the remaining times to California travelling from san fran to las vegas to LA to Arizona desert and all the rest lol Great times!

Thanks!!

Tim:D

Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 4:03am
Hi there! Im abit late here but I have to say, don't get a permanent color. I colored my hair black with permanent color and it will not fade away (at all). What you will end up with instead is a very visible outgrowth. Then if you decide that you want it removed you will have a long way to go. Trust me, i wish i would have used simi or demi permanent.. Even if the simi or demi isn't deepo black it will look more natural for you considering you have brown hair.. I have pale skin aswell and having deep black hair was fun for a while but not all the time...
Good luck, hope it turns out well what ever you decide

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 5:00am

thanks For the Advice! Vicky:D

Your would'nt happen too know what what color depositing shampoo is?

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 7:18am

Hey again Timothy...hehe u've been to CA, i live here in Orange County more specifically, lol! Ur so lucky to be in the UK i looove the weather there, no joke!

Anyway i color depositing shampoo is supposed to help preserve the color while depositing subtle tones into the hair, which is why its usually the same color as what would be on ur head. Anyway they sell them in conditioners too which is supposed to keep the color molecules from sliding of the hair i guess. Unfortunately I can't think of any particular one that would be availalbe in the UK tho i know there are so my suggestion is to search for one through froogle.co.uk and type in color depositing shampoo, which show some online stores that have them. Having been to Europe before i know of Boots, maybe u should check there. All in all if u can't find any u should get shampoo for color-treated hair and that should adequate.

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 8:22am

Thanks :D great advice again......you really know your stuff...

Yeah ill check at boots tomorrow. I'll ask them about some colour depositing shampoo and ill also buy some shampoo and conditioner for colour treated hair.

YOU LOVE THE WEATHER IN UK?

woahh lol your a first i can't wait to ge tout of the country the weather is depressing and miserable lol! how ever it has been pretty hot here lately highs of about 32 degrees C.

lol

Thanks again!

Tim :D

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 1:52pm

Heya guys.....Only one more question on  my black hair....

When i have redyed my hair now on top of the dye thats already left on my hair.....how much darker will it look....my hair currently has only had one wash since i dyed it and that was last night...i used the head and shoulders so some dye came out as that strips it....but if i use shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair how long will my hair take to fade for me to be able to notice it....this is when im using the special for coloured hair shampoos and condioners and also reyded over my hair.......

Also will my hair look less shiny when dyed over again?

If anybody wishes to post anymore info on here that could hellp me out please feel free to do so....it would be msot appreciated.....

Next time i'll post a reply is to keep you updated on whats happening. not that you really want to know:D lol

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 3:00pm

Hi its me (AGAIN!) lol...

I'll answer ur q's as best as i can in reverse order:

Will ur hair be less shiny? Well there shouldn't be any reason for it not to if ur just using semi a second time, therefore i don't believe that'll have an effect.

As far as fading, w/ the color treated shampoos and wht not, it shouldn't be too much esp. where u are (lucky enough to not have the sun shining in ur face lol, which greatly fades color!) Reds are usually the ones that fade the fastest...)

And the color will be a little darker than what it already is, but i can't how much more since i can't see ur hair lol...i'm guessing black black?

Lol well thats it i think. Oh and i have another tip: I suggest getting the blue black shade in Manic Panic or any of those "outrageous" temp. dyes and each time u shampoo add maybe a teaspoon or so of the dye w/ it then shampoo. Good luck!

Of course we are interested in knowing wht happened!

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 3:01pm
Oh and this site might help u a bit: http://www.haircrazy.co.uk - www.haircrazy.co.uk

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 5:57pm
Hi tim!

There is another thing you could try, in hair salons you can sometimes get color that they recommend that you put on before you color it, this color is only ment to bring out the color (that you want to aply afterwards) even more, so it is not a permanent color. I don't know what this is called, but if you ask in any salon where they sell hair color i am sure they will know what you mean. If you get the black color there and then try some demi/semi hair color this could stop your color from fading so quick..

Dont know if you will find this color in the UK.

Good luck, hope everything turns out ok.

Let us know

Date Posted: June 29 2005 at 10:49am
vicky i think what u are talking abt is a filler. Am i correct?

Date Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:02am
Not sure what it's called just know my sister got it when she had trouble getting the haircolor to stick on her hair. She wanted it a brown color so she used the botle i was telling you about then she got the same color but permanent. It worked and brought out the color she wanted.
Was that what you were thinking about Veronica?

Date Posted: June 30 2005 at 6:12am

Heya Again Guys.....I'm Dying my hair later on with a semi permanent.....

However just wanted to ask a few questions incase it didn't turn out how i want it.....Firstly I'm into rock music so id like the typical rock look......Blue black is the normal colour rock peeps dye their hair and i was wondering whether...if i dyed my hair jet black then decided i wanted to try blue black would blue black show up over the jet black (this is if i dyed it permanent) thats my first que

my second question is about the pictures im going to include...i want my Hair Like Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance....not with the parting etc just the color but i can't tell whether is black with just light shining on it or whether its blue black.....So could you take a look for me please:D

Also would blue black be easier to remove then black if it didn't suit or harder......

So to some up the questions:

1.) Would blue black show up over jet black if i decided i wanted to dye my hair blue black after i had dyed it permanent black...

2.) What color is Gerard Ways hair in the picture?

3.) Would Blue Black be easier to remove?

and if any of you guys have any other information youd like to share with me please let me know!:D:D:D

Thanks very Much again.....

P.s The Pictures are Below....

Thanks again guys:D

Date Posted: June 30 2005 at 6:58am
He looks like billy corgan with hair, lol!!!

I will try to help you based on what i learned when i had black hair.

1) When I had black hair I wanted to put some black on with a red tint, this however did not work. All it did was make my outgrowth look alitlle more red. So I wouldn't count on the fact that the black with blue would show if you decide to color it after having colored it black once before.

2) From what i can tell on the pic on top it looks as if he has black with blue color but on the one below it just looks black. You have to decide which one you like the best.

3) Im sorry to say that i think the blue black will be just as demanding to remove as the plain black one, as they will both require bleaching and or colorremover. But you know what, I removed the black and im still alive. It can be done you will just have to realice that it will cost some money and your hair could be damaged.

Perhaps if you dye it jet black with a semi permanent you will have time to think about if you would rather have blue black or just black.
I don't know if you can get semi permanent color with blue black?

You could try that out in that case before you decide to color it with permanent color. But it sounds to me like you really want black hair of some shade so perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if you used a permanent color?

Let us know what you decide. I hope i helped alittle

Date Posted: June 30 2005 at 7:45am
You could always try manic panic's blue black which will let you decide wht works for u. Manic Panic fades really fast and they have a blue black as well http://www.manicpanic.com/creamswatch.htm - http://www.manicpanic.com/creamswatch.htm

Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 12:26pm

Heya Guys....

Just dyed my hair black semi on top of the old semi and it loookss awsummm....The way im gunner decided whether to use permanent is how fast it fades... i have like a fancy dress gig at the local pub and im gunner go with the  hai, thats in 15 days so well see how much it has faded and decide then as you well know spending money on two boxes of hair dye t get the color i want each time wud work out very costy.. Will post some pictures later on:)

Thanks for all your help...I have one more que tho lol prob not the last...

If i decided that i wanted to dye my hair permanent before this gig in 15...could i dye it permanent over the semi inabout 15 days time if it has faded alot or little it depends...

I would dye blue black over it....so i was wondering whether it would look ok and work or not....

Thanks v much guys for everything:D:D

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 3:15pm
The problem is that blue black tends to fade, even if it's the permanent kind. There's no good way to do it.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Date Posted: July 03 2005 at 4:23pm

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

The problem is that blue black tends to fade, even if it's the permanent kind. There's no good way to do it.

Well said

Since u really want perfect blue black hair why don't you consult a good stylist and ask them how u can maintain it? You never know, he/she may have good advice!

Posted By: MCRgirl
Date Posted: July 12 2005 at 8:36am
well i have naturally light brown hair and i wanted my hair black for ages before i plucked up the courage to actually dye it, i went straight for the permenant colour, i chose looreal hydrience black pearl, which sshines white in the sun, i have really pale skin it looks like i never leave the house but all orf my mates and people that know me said that black hair suited me more than my natural colour, if you use a colour suitable shampoo the results stay the same and the colour down fade, if you are going out in the sun for a long time then you will have to wear a hat for the first few weeks while the colour settles, any other problems then email me

-------------
"The Devil got landed with a sh*tty job, he has to deal with assholes everyday, he's probably bored as hell." - Gerard Way

Posted By: MCRgirl
Date Posted: July 12 2005 at 8:44am
if you look like gerard way then i really wana meet you he is sooooooo hot

-------------
"The Devil got landed with a sh*tty job, he has to deal with assholes everyday, he's probably bored as hell." - Gerard Way

Date Posted: July 12 2005 at 9:54am

Heya MCR Girl....

personally i don't think i look anything like Gerard but other have said i have aresemblence especially when i got the white makeup and the red eye stuff on....but yno im gunner dye my hair black well blue black v v soon....

Have ya got msn?

add me if you have on

mailto:I_am_zao@hotmail.com - I_am_zao@hotmail.com

Thanks for the advice by the way:D

Posted By: malibubabe
Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 11:57pm

have you seen Gerard Way's hair recently? I saw them at the Warped Tour, he cut it off and the top is blonde

I think he should make it all black again

I also have light skin and want darker hair, but not black, I'm too afraid to go black, lol

-------------
Emilie

Posted By: aubergine
Date Posted: August 14 2005 at 7:39am
Hi Tim,
I'd recommend you don't dye your hair blue black unless your not bothered about having to strip or bleach it to get back to a brown colour.

I'm a natural light blonde (and hate it) and I started dying my hair perminant because semi-perm dyes went orange on my hair.  I dyed it perminant Blue/Black and it was absolutely gorgeous, really shiny and cool, but then my roots grew and the hair just looked stupid when I dyed over again.  I'm now trying to get the black out of my hair so I can go a lighter colour.

The novelty of black wears off really fast - I too am pale and blue-eyed, and black suits me better than my natural colour, but it get's boring.

Posted By: AngelDream
Date Posted: August 14 2005 at 7:48am
Looks like Timothy wants to be blonde now. Check post below.

aubergine, with the black maybe it would have worked better if you had just dyed the roots and not the rest.

Posted By: aubergine
Date Posted: August 15 2005 at 5:03am
Originally posted by AngelDream AngelDream wrote:

Looks like Timothy wants to be blonde now. Check post below.

aubergine, with the black maybe it would have worked better if you had just dyed the roots and not the rest.

Thankd for the suggestion AngelDream - but I try it every time.  Dying just the roots just makes the colour on my blonde even more vibrant, unless I dye it black that is, but I don't want to do that again.

Print Page | Close Window