Print Page | Close Window

How do you prevent split ends???

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33172
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 2:32am

Topic: How do you prevent split ends???
Posted By: Rabbithead
Subject: How do you prevent split ends???
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 2:30pm
I'm trying to grow my thin, fine hair to the mid-back area. But I seem to get split ends easily. I don't dye my hair or perm it. So I don't know what's wrong. I do wash it everyday because I have an oily scalp and my hair would look very oily and dirty if I don't wash it. But when I wash it I only rub the scalp and I use a moisturizing conditioner everytime I shampoo. But somehow I still get split ends. This is frustrating!!!! 

Replies:
Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 2:41pm
Some hair types just tend to get breakage. My hair used to break off about at waist length, with a few hairs a bit longer. What I have done differently:
  • No heat styling. I allow my hair to air-dry only.

• I never use shampoo anymore, washing with conditioner only, and vigorous scalp scrubbing, followed by a moisturizing conditioner and a silicone conditioner.

• I always put on a touch of oil as my hair dries.

• I detangle frequently and gently

• I wear my hair in a protective style often.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: curlyhairedgirl
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 2:42pm
What helps me with my split ends is getting it trimmed and not brushing it when it is wet. My hair is really thin my hair is also oily to so i have to wash it a lot. I get frustrated with my hair too because i want to grow my hair but it always breaks

Posted By: farmerburgess
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 2:48pm

eKatherine,

Do you really use three different conditioners each time you wash?  Or did I misunderstand?  Is your hair fine / flyaway at all?  Sometimes, for me, it seems using just one conditioner makes my hair feel weighted down and limp.  Does this ever happen to you?  Since signing on to this forum (great info here, thank you all!), I have begun to eye all shampoos with distrust, but psychologically I can't quite make the jump to using just conditioner -- though perhaps 18 inches from now my feelings will differ...

Also, I seem to get the most breakage just above my temples, right along my hairline.  I try to be very careful not to pull my hair tightly, but honestly it seems this hair just cannot grow longer than about two inches, and baby-fine.  Any suggestions for this as well?

Thanks!

Posted By: cmesweet
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 4:36pm
Is your hair getting stuck on zippers, buttons? Certain materials can attach to your hair, causing it to break off when you remove it from the material.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 6:32pm

Fine hair can be tricky to grow, I have a sister whose hair starts to break after just a few months, at ear-level. Iīm not sure there is a wondercure, you just need to be very, very careful and never let it dry, because dry hair is breakable.

Conditioner works for some people, but it might not be the best solution. I personally seem to get dryer hair from conditioner (perhaps I havenīt found the right ones) and more moisture from oiling only. But you need to experiment to see what fits you.

Good luck with the growing!

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by farmerburgess farmerburgess wrote:

eKatherine,

Do you really use three different conditioners each time you wash?  Or did I misunderstand?  Is your hair fine / flyaway at all?  Sometimes, for me, it seems using just one conditioner makes my hair feel weighted down and limp.  Does this ever happen to you?  Since signing on to this forum (great info here, thank you all!), I have begun to eye all shampoos with distrust, but psychologically I can't quite make the jump to using just conditioner -- though perhaps 18 inches from now my feelings will differ...

Also, I seem to get the most breakage just above my temples, right along my hairline.  I try to be very careful not to pull my hair tightly, but honestly it seems this hair just cannot grow longer than about two inches, and baby-fine.  Any suggestions for this as well?

Thanks!

Yes, my hair is very fine. I do use three conditioners. I start with two washes of Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner, then one of Suave Humectant (with a tablespoon each of jojoba and fractionated coconut oil mixed in per bottle), then Pantene Pro-V or Fructis Long and Strong.

It's important to use the right conditioner for cleaning. Lots of people have had success with the one I use. Most conditioners are unsuitable. The ones I use give me perfect results every time.

I think that using a light conditioner to clean will fill some of the porosity in your hair, so less of each conditioner sticks.

Do you actually have breakage at that point, or is it babyfine hairs that grow there and have a natural length of 2-1/2 inches? There would be nothing you could do about those.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: AmberJune
Date Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:44pm

Hi rabbithead.....

My hair is EXACTLY like yours.  I too am prone to many split ends.  I use my straightening iron too...grr ...its very hard to not use it.  I tried the CO wash and it didn't do good in my hair... But everyone is different. I also blow dry and straighten....do you? Hate to say it...but if you do...we both really need to stop blow frying and straightening our hair.....otherwise we are GOING to get split ends. 

I TRY to minimize using the blow dryer and straightener.....  I guess on our journey to long hair ..it just depends on what we can handle ....and how dedicated we are.

Sucks having thin, fragile, fine hair .... at least for me ...boo

I would really love to see a picture of your hair if at all possible.

Also, IF you do straighten/blow dry....do you use protective heat creams....  I started using one from Loreal Mega Moisture and it seems to have helped my hair.

Anywho.... love to hear back from ya!

Happy Hair growing!!

-------------
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01

Posted By: farmerburgess
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:28am

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Do you actually have breakage at that point, or is it babyfine hairs that grow there and have a natural length of 2-1/2 inches? There would be nothing you could do about those.

Well, now that you mention it, I don't ever remember those hairs being longer than 2-1/2 inches -- what a tragic number for terminal length.

Thank you for the suggestions regarding conditioners -- I may try the Clarifying conditioner you mentioned with Anais' gradual shampoo weaning.  And who knows, maybe my hairline will appreciate this cleansing method more and start to grow.  One can hope...

Posted By: Rabbithead
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by AmberJune AmberJune wrote:

Hi rabbithead.....

My hair is EXACTLY like yours.  I too am prone to many split ends.  I use my straightening iron too...grr ...its very hard to not use it.  I tried the CO wash and it didn't do good in my hair... But everyone is different. I also blow dry and straighten....do you? Hate to say it...but if you do...we both really need to stop blow frying and straightening our hair.....otherwise we are GOING to get split ends. 

I TRY to minimize using the blow dryer and straightener.....  I guess on our journey to long hair ..it just depends on what we can handle ....and how dedicated we are.

Sucks having thin, fragile, fine hair .... at least for me ...boo

I would really love to see a picture of your hair if at all possible.

Also, IF you do straighten/blow dry....do you use protective heat creams....  I started using one from Loreal Mega Moisture and it seems to have helped my hair.

Anywho.... love to hear back from ya!

Happy Hair growing!!

Hi Amber! Yeah, having fine, thin hair really blows!! Most of my friends have a lot of hair and it looks so good when they get it layered. As for me, well, mine is layered too but there's not a lot of hair to layer!

I'm Asian so I have straight hair (which makes it worse because it is too flat!!). I'm thinking about getting a perm, but hesitating too because I don't want to damage the few strands of hair I have left on my poor head!

I use Pantene moisturizing shampoo/conditioner because I do use a round brush to blow dry my hair to give it more volume. I also use their thickening spray, aiming at the roots, which helps at little. I use the Neutrogena deep conditioner twice a week, but I just use it on the ends to avoid making my scalp oily. I like it, it makes my hair softer and eliminates static on my hair.

But I'm still looking to see if there's any way for me to grow more hair. I really like long hair, but it doesn't look good if the style will make me look like I don't have much hair. Oh well, I guess I have to keep searching for an answer!

Print Page | Close Window