Print Page | Close Window

scalp issues

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33207
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 2:29am

Topic: scalp issues
Posted By: Katja
Subject: scalp issues
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 10:39am

Hey all-

I've been trying to "wean" myself into a conditioner-only wash routine for about a month and a half.  Right now I use diluted shampoo once or twice a week and two kinds of conditioners.  I do an ACV rinse and deep conditioning with hair mayonnaise once a week. 

The problem, though, is that my scalp is always either terribly greasy where hair just sticks to my head or it's really dry and itchy- it's usually the former.  I've tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to work, and I'm officially out of ideas.  I'd really like to switch to a COW (I think that's what it's called- the one where you have conditioner, shampoo and water mixed) wash, but I'm afraid that'll make my hair even greasier.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  My hair is starting to hate me from all the wash-handling I'm putting it through trying to solve my scalp problem.

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Replies:
Posted By: Suers
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 10:54am
I have something of the same problem. Diluting the shampoo has helped the problem but not eliminated the dry itchiness totally. Try not to put conditioner on your scalp. I just put it from ears down.

We put a chlorine removing filter on our shower and that improved things alot. Gentle scalp massage or gentle brushing daily helps to distribute the oils and remove scale build up. Only be gentle on your hair and make sure to check your brush for rough edges.

I find that the itchiness and scaling is worse when I am under stress and my allergies are bothering me.

Considering that 200 years ago, woman only washed their hair (and it would be long) on average once a month - How did they do it without getting itchy greasy head?

Posted By: tdouty
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 12:36pm
Jennifer (pictured here) and I wanted to try the CO washing method on her hair so we made the switch "cold-turkey".  We just started washing her hair with Conditioner Only and haven't washed her hair with shampoo for a couple months now.  She did have a problem with itchy scalp, which was corrected as suggested on this forum by a more thorough scrubbing of her scalp when we wash her hair.  We don't use apple cider vinegar on her hair because we have a water softener.  From what I understand, the apple cider vinegar is to free the hair of hard water deposits.  We do use a clarifying conditioner about ever 7-10 days.  I wash her hair for her about every-other day or every day since she works outside and it's been hot lately around here.  She wets her hair (sometimes and sometimes not).  I use an old vitamin bottle and fill it about 1/3 with a cheap conditioner (V05 strawberries and cream lately).  I pour it onto her scalp and thoroughly wet her hair with this mixture.  If it needs more to become really slippery and wet, I mix up another batch.  I then scrub her head very well and give her head a good finger massaging as I wash her hair.  I then rinse her hair *very well*.  I squeeze the water from her hair and then put a heavy conditioner or deep conditioner (Pantene usually) on the length of her hair.  We let it on her hair until we're done showering and then rinse her hair with cool water.  Like I said, we did have trouble with the itch-scalp, but the problem seemed to be that we weren't scrubbing her head good enough.  I'm not sure if the greasy problems your having might be caused by the same thing, but it might be worth a try.  Make sure your hair is completey saturated with the conditioner and water misture (shampoo and water if you're not switching to just conditioner) and scrub the scalp and rinse it very well.  Jennifer's hair was feeling brittle at times and we had to use mayonaise and other home products to keep it soft before, but we don't notice this brittle feeling at all since switching to CO.  I hope this helps.

-------------

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: July 21 2005 at 1:01am

It could just be that CO isn't for you. Some people just tend to do better when there is a little bit of shampoo, usually in the form of a C-COW-C or a CWC routine. One way to find out is to use C-COW-C and gradually decreasing the shampoo amount. There's a perfect routine / perfect balance for everyone. Wishing you best of luck in finding it.

Anais 

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: July 21 2005 at 7:51am
Katja, I agree.  Maybe you're just going too long for your hair/skin type.  Using conditioner on my scalp doesn't work for me either (though I know many people have excellent results with it).  I also tried going 3 days without shampooing, and that just didn't work either (scalp got too oily on the 2nd and 3rd day, even after 2 months).  Diluting the shampoo did help a lot (my scalp isn't dry or flaky between washes like the concentrated shampoo always made it), but my skin type is just too oily for the other stuff to work.  You've got to do what's best for your own skin.  Good luck.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: ACCOLADY
Date Posted: July 21 2005 at 8:19am

Greetings, Katja,

While I probably shouldn't comment as I do not know your hair type, I think Anais may have a good idea there.

May I ask why you began using a conditioner only routine?        &nbs p;      I would never frown on another person's hair care choices, but I have to wonder if it isn't the food products in combination with conditioner that are causing the greasy build up.

Speaking only for my head of hair, I once entertained the conditioner  routine only to find myself grasping for the shampoo. Again, this is certainly not to rain on any CO routine, it's just not for my hair type. I've said many times, if peanut butter worked, I'd use it.

I wonder if your hair might benefit from a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner?

Karen Marie

-------------
Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005

Posted By: CrazyGirl
Date Posted: July 21 2005 at 12:49pm
I have the same problem with my scalp being dry. Sometimes, I get the flakes too but it's not dandruff. I have switched to All Soft by Redken and that seems to work for me. I think it's gentle enough to use everyday (I shampoo and condition everyday). I make sure I rinse out the shampoo off my scalp completely specially around the prone areas. Hope this helped!

-------------
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1016946 - http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1016946

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 5:01am

My sympathies, I also had this problem. For me, it was probably caused by my skin getting product-"overload". I now only use a mild dandruff shampoo every other day, very sparingly, no conditioner (I have it braided while I wash, to keep it from tangling) and afterwards I use a scalp moisturizer and a little bit of oil for the length. My scalp has never been better.

Good luck to you!

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: ACCOLADY
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 8:27am

Originally posted by Viktoria Viktoria wrote:

it was probably caused by my skin getting product-"overload".

Ah, Hairpo... (Hair Product Overload)

Karen Marie

-------------
Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 6:44pm
Never heard that term before, Karen... of course, every time I see people abbreviate shampoo as "poo", I still get a smirk on my face. 

-------------

Posted By: eatgreenjello
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 12:24pm
Katja,  it's okay to use a basic hydrocortisone cream on your scalp where the itchies are.  You can do this overnight, and then wash it out the next day.  Hair on our scalp is skin too and gets dry also.  I have one particular itchy spot on my head and the hydrocortisone cream feels really good when I put it on my scalp.

-------------

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:19pm
That's a good point, eatgreenjello... there may be an underlying dermatological issue on a portion of her scalp.

So Katja, have you tried any of the suggestions, and if so, how's it going?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window