Print Page | Close Window

Vintage / antique hair accessories...

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33408
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 12:21am

Topic: Vintage / antique hair accessories...
Posted By: ACCOLADY
Subject: Vintage / antique hair accessories...
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 7:13pm

Greetings, all!

Today I stumbled across a treasure for a song. In a store similar to a Goodwill, I found a matching vanity set with brushes, combs, mirrors, etc.

As I know nothing about antiques, I was hoping someone might know a bit about these and how to clean them up / care for them.

All the pieces are what I believe silver, with a tarnish on them. The mirror is very heavy, though the mirror itself is what has me stumped when trying to determine the set's age.

Rather than the traditional reflective silver on glass, this looks like glass with an extremely thin sheet of silver 'paper' if you will, behind it. If it were not for the crumpled effect due to what I believe could have been caused by moisture, it would be a cloudy but otherwise good mirror reflection.

This set was in a box of other items I purchased such as books from the 1800's with ink well writing. There was even a lettering tip case in the box.

The hair items are in wonderful condition! The bristles on the brushes are a gentle white bristle, though not boar.

I can find absolutely no identifying marks, logos, etc.

As I can't imagine soaking these items in soap, could someone suggest a cleaning method? Though I don't intend to use these items for hair care, it would be nice to run them through my hair to imagine life as it was over one hundred + years ago, if in fact these items were from the same period as the books.

Karen Marie

-------------
Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005

Replies:
Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 8:50pm

Maybe you could use a baby wipe for the brushes? what a cool find. I wonder how many people passed it over before you came along thinking it wasnt much.

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 6:19am
That is really cool, Karen Marie.  Lucky you!  A little tarnish remover and voila!  In a sense, these antiques are priceless.  Congrats on your find!

-------------

Posted By: farmerburgess
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 8:43am

One way to clean silver without harsh chemicals is the following:

1. Line a large glass baking dish with aluminum foil
  2. Lay the items in the foil lined dish
  3. Cover the exposed silver with baking soda
  4. Fill the dish with boiling water
  5. When done, rinse with clean water and towel dry

I've had great success with this method with many silver items, though I don't think the mirror would be a good candidate for this since additional moisture could get behind the glass.  But then, since this item won't be coming in contact with your hair, perhaps a standard polish on the silver parts would work fine.

This sounds like a fabulous find -- can you post some pictures?

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: July 26 2005 at 12:59pm

I've had luck with a quick toothpaste scrub, and have heard that jeweler's rouge is good too. And when you're unsure, best go with mild soap and warm water. Congratulations on your hidden treasures!

Anais

edited for clarity

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: July 28 2005 at 7:05am
Wow!  I don't know about cleaning it, but what neat stuff!  (I'm originally from New Orleans where nothing lasts more than 50 years due to heat and humidity, so I've only ever SEEN neat stuff like that in museums!).

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:55pm

Great find!

Perhaps you should hear about the cleaning with an antiques expert, sometimes antiques diminishes in value if one cleans too harshly. In the swedish version of "The antiques roadshow" they often say that the "patina" (I donīt know if thatīs the right word in english, but you know, the "wear and tear" of an object) actually increases an objects value, as well as a written accord of the objects history (like who owned it and where). So be careful.

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Print Page | Close Window