Print Page | Close Window

What is your goal length?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33553
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 12:17am

Topic: What is your goal length?
Posted By: DaveDecker
Subject: What is your goal length?
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 12:46pm
Hi everybody!

I thought this might be an interesting and fun topic to discuss.

1) Have you reached your goal length?

2) If not, what is your goal length / are your goal lengths?  (In other words, do you have a short-term goal and a longer, long-term goal?)

3) What is your present length?

Replies:
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 12:48pm
My answers to the questions:

Not only have I reached my goal, I have surpassed my goal. My goal length was just a little longer than "classic" length (not quite fingertip length).  My present length is mid-lower calf, or about 73" measured from my forehead.

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 2:50pm

Hi Dave  Your hair has always been so impressive! I saw your new sig on LHC and ZOWIE!

1) Have you reached your goal length? One of them, yes. When I first began growing out, my goals were waist length as a short term goal, and hip length as a final goal. Now I've um... made some adjustments

2) If not, what is your goal length / are your goal lengths?  (In other words, do you have a short-term goal and a longer, long-term goal?) Yes sirree! My short term goal is tailbone length, and my long term goal is fingertip. But who knows, when I get to fingertip, maybe that will change too.

3) What is your present length? I haven't measured lately, but probably about 32".. that makes it 3 inches from tailbone at the longest layers in the back, when I straighten it with wet combing. When wavy, it's about 2 inches past waist length.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: yay i win
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 3:12pm

73 INCHES! I consider having the minimum to shear for Locks of Love to already be "long" hair, but you have enough to donate SEVEN TIMES OVER! (AND DON'T YOU DARE! Haha).

Astounding. To further put it into perspective: your hair is almost a foot taller than I am!

Will you continue to grow it to your feet?

As per your questions:

1. Hell no!

2. I don't have a specific number in mind. I want it to be as long as possible without compromising how healthy it appears (i.e., I want it all to be moderately shiney). I would also like to see gradations in shade that reflect the age of my hair--Dave, I LOVE that your hair goes from golden brown to a bright golden blonde!

I guess, ideally, I want the ends of my hair to curl around my hipbones. But, sadly, my hair always seems to have thousands of brand new (FLY AWAY) strands, and a lot of shedding, so I think I will have a rather short terminal length.

3. It is currently 18.5". Didn't care much about length til about a month ago, so I'm glad I'm at least starting at boob length!

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 3:45pm

Q1: I have not reached my goal before nor currently.

Q2: Next goal is 36" approx waist length.
Next is 40"
Then possibly attempt longer hair if I can care for it well and it doesn't bother me.
Long term goal is to never go above 36" - 40" after passing it. So that means if I do pass 40" I may later cut back to somewhere in the 36" - 40" range. That's my not sitting on it limit. So I could do tailbone to classic length if I can keep it lifted up a bit with just a ponytail. I just have a worry about sitting on it.

Q3: Current length as of March was 30.5"

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: Hellfrozeover
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 5:38pm

Short-term: Waist Length

Long-term: My terminal length. Due to good genes I think I've got a really long terminal length so I'll see when I'm there.

-------------

Posted By: Amazing Grace
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 6:54pm
1. No - I've only been serious about growing my hair long since April.

2. My long term goal is waist-length hair. I have vague thoughts about seeing what the terminal length is, but wonder if that would be seen as extreme. Is there a connection between height and terminal length? I am (medically) a dwarf with a height of 4'0". So hair has less far to grow for it to look long proportionately on me. But I wonder if it would look odd. Maybe I shouldn't care since people stare at me anyway. This way I can tell myself it's my devistatingly beautiful hair they're admiring.

3. Currently it's 21", which is halfway between shoulder and BSL.

Posted By: OceanicDreams
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 5:28am

First, I have to comment on how beautiful everyone’s hair is. :)

1. No, I have not reached my goal length…yet. ;)

2. Short-term goal: classic length. Long-term goal: mid thigh length.

3. Currently, my hair is 38 1/2”.

Good luck to everyone on reaching all of your hair goals! We might not be there today, but we will one day, soon enough… ;)

Posted By: yay i win
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 10:31am

Beautifully long hair, Ocean! And a do-able goal, not too far away... Anybody know why classic-length hair (fingertips, right?) has been deemed the "classic" length? Is it the most often rendered length in paintings or something?

Grace-- you're lucky you won't have to wait as long to reach your goals. I think it will look really ethereal on you! you'll look so feminine and fairy-like.

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 12:14pm
Anything longer begins to look dead and unpleasant (and is strictly for enthusiasts).

Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 1:14pm

Hi Yay I Win,

Classic length is the closest to Golden Ratio (which is actually about mid-thigh), considered the most attractive proportion.

HTH

Anais

-------------

Posted By: farmerburgess
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 3:45pm

1. I wish.  So far long hair is a pipe dream -- but I haven't given up yet!

2. Short-term goal -- long enough to keep it all back in a bun (whatever length that ends up being)

Long-term goal -- elbow / waist length, think Disney's Sleeping Beauty (without the bangs), around 33" for me, hopefully with "sock curls" (thanks, Anais!)

3. Just barely touching my T-shirt collar at 17.75", and clocking in at about 0.75" / month that gives me, say, a little less than two years to go, not counting trims.  Patience, Grasshopper...

Posted By: Hellfrozeover
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 4:40pm

Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

Anything longer begins to look dead and unpleasant (and is strictly for enthusiasts).

Wrong. It purely depends on the person. Just look at Crystal Gayle.

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 9:49pm
I also disagree with fatmoogas.

Just because some people might have hair a certain length that looks like it hasn't been cared for doesn't mean everyone who grows to those lengths is going to have hair like that. There are too many different hair types to say that they are all going to look lifeless or damaged or split.

Plus, with these forums popping up over the past few years more and more people are finding new ways to care for their hair including how to trim it themselves to avoid that "dead" look.

If you don't like that dead look then help us give people support so that they can properly grow out their hair and not get that dead look. Because you're not going to stop people from wanting their hair past classic length. Things can change for the better.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 10:55pm
Two things to say: First, I have seen MANY women with longer than classic hair whose every inch looked splendid. Second, to Grace, the  "proportionality" theory is nonsense, in my view. Long hair looks amazing on most women of every height. Who are these people who seek to cheat you of your dream because you are shorter? Let me at 'em! (lol)Join the rest of the long-haired gals who are proud to stand out in a crowd!  Bob

Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 11:05pm
I agree Bob,

It only takes a few people to start doing the opposite of the rules to make the rules meaningless.

Posted By: catt_grrl
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 7:11am
No goal, really; currently, my hair is a bit longer than I am.

QUOTE=fatmoogas]Anything longer begins to look dead and unpleasant (and is strictly for enthusiasts).[/QUOTE]

Don't get too close to my coffin... 

Posted By: redsoxfan949
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 10:44am
Hi! I am a brand new member! I have been lurking on here for about three years now but this is the first time I have posted! Nope....havent come close to my goal...I decided to grow my hair out...and all my friends really want me to. I have curly hair and i have been growing it for about eight months now....its about to my shoulders and I want to grow it down to at least my waist...further if it will grow that long. I would like it long enough to sit on The last time I grew my hair out...it was well past my shoulders and I could also brush it out into a huge afro...kind of like Erykah Badu. It only took me a year for it to get long. I cannot wait to have a huge mane of hair!!!!!!!

Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 10:44am
Wow catt_grrl thats long , How long are you if I may ask?

Posted By: Layla
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 11:40am
1) Have you reached your goal length? No

2) If not, what is your goal length / are your goal lengths?  My first goal length is armpit length and my second goal is bsl.

3) What is your present length? 21"

-------------
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 1:03pm

Catt_Grrl  I recognize you! Come visit us more often...

Anais

-------------

Posted By: laststar
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 2:38pm
I'm thinking waist length for now maybe longer.

Posted By: Jade30
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 10:18pm

1) Have you reached your goal length?
NO WAY! Still got a little ways to go.

2) If not, what is your goal length / are your goal lengths?  (In other words, do you have a short-term goal and a longer, long-term goal?)
The length of my hair has been a long term goal for a very long time. I'd like to get my hair length to my ankles or so. 

3) What is your present length?
Present length is JUST past my bum bum :)

Posted By: tdouty
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 6:36am
Have you reached your goal?  No, not yet.
What is your goal? Jennifer had hair at one time that was long enough to sit on.  She's at least going for that and maybe longer .. who knows.
How long is your hair now?  We only measured it one time and it was about a month ago.  I think it was around 29 inches, but I'm not sure.  We'll have to re-measure :-).

-------------

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 6:45am
Wow Jen's hair looks great I can't wait for mine to be that long.

Posted By: tdouty
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 7:17am
Thanks for the compliment, Last Starfighter.  Your hair will be there before you know it.  It wasn't that long ago that Jennifer's hair was BSL and it seems to be growing like a weed.

-------------

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008

Posted By: mom2kaymae
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 9:09am
My hair is past bra strap my goal is waist lenght so Couple of more inches and I am there

-------------
BSL and growing

Posted By: Kalika
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 1:51pm

Have you reached your goal?  Once upon a junior high

What is your goal? healthy hair in a layered V shape with the longest bits hitting my tailbone

How long is your hair now?  *cough* 2 inches.  24 inches with extensions in

Posted By: sarondie11
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 4:10pm

isn't it great how most of us who have reached our initial goal have set new ones and continue to grow our hair? hey, growing is easier (and cheaper!) than getting it cut...

1) Have you reached your goal length? yes, when i set out to grow from chin length, i wanted it to be at least bsl. this is my hair a year ago.

2) If not, what is your goal length / are your goal lengths? my new goal is waist length (4-ish months) and to grow out my layers (probably another whole year)

3) What is your present length? almost 28"

happy & healthy growing!

Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 5:44pm
WOW Sarondie, your hair looks terrific

-------------

Posted By: Paulbob
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 10:34pm

Sarondie11 your hair looks ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

Paulbob

Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 6:38am
I agree Sarondie, looks excellent.

Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 10:01am
And so healthy, whats your secret Sarondie? 

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 11:40am
Everybody's hair pictures look so great! 

1.  Nope

2.  Final goal keeps changing between knee length and mid thigh, but I'm far from that now.  First goal will be bsl.

3.  3 inches above bsl

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 12:18pm

Fun thread! It´s great to do some "book keeping" from time to time, if only to remind oneself of how well one is doing...

1. and 2. Well, I´m aiming for terminal length, just because I´m curious, and I think there is some distance left in me. However, at times I think I´m pretty happy where I am, but then I go, "nooo..."

3. 36 inches. A bit below the waist of my jeans.

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: sarondie11
Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 11:07pm
thank you 4 for your kind words! as far as a secret... all i can think of is regular trims and good lighting in that picture! it's a little over-exposed, which makes my hair look so shiny. thanks again

Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Catt_Grrl  I recognize you! Come visit us more often...

Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

WOW Sarondie, your hair looks terrific

I agree with you on both sentiments, AnaisSatin...   Your hair looks great, Sarondie!

Originally posted by sarondie11 sarondie11 wrote:

hey, growing is easier (and cheaper!) than getting it cut...

Easier, cheaper, and looks better too... what's not to like? 

-------------

Posted By: loquacious
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 3:59pm

1 - far from it still... it hasn't been this long in a while, so i'm just enjoying all the new lengths/style opps

2 - classic length is my goal.... BSL is my first goal, though. after it gets waist length at least, i plan on growing out the older layers.

3 - i'm not sure. it's 2 inches past my shoulders, currently.

Print Page | Close Window