Print Page | Close Window

Should I grow my hair?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33773
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 12:18am

Topic: Should I grow my hair?
Posted By: Jane F
Subject: Should I grow my hair?
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 1:02am

Hi everyone,

I have had short hair almost as long as I can remember (I think I had it cut short when I was about twelve). Now I am thinking of growing it, but I am afraid I am not patient enough. Every time it has grown a few inches, I go to the hairdresser and have it all cut off again. I think these in-between lengths do not suit me at all... And my friends say that short hair suits me better anyway...

What do you think? Do you think long hair would suit me? And is it really worth going through the pains of growing it?

All the best
Jane

Replies:
Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 4:12am

Hi Jane. I'll say it more  directly, now you've posted here. I think it would be a good change for you. You have a nice face with good bone structure and can carry off just about any style. However, I strongly believe that we should change things around every now and then. If you feel like you want to do it, then grow it out. It gets boring never changing anything! That's my view anyhow. Short hair is cute and sexy, but long hair is romantic and sexy. Maybe, you just want to explore some other sides of your character.

Have to be patient though!

Posted By: Amazing Grace
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 6:59am
Remember that one of the challenges of growing your hair is those in-between stages when your hair may seem unco-operative and annoying. I've been growing out layers and have some hair that is too short for ponytails or updoes, so I look a little disheveled at times.

Last week I was ready to give up and get a buzz cut so I wouldn't have to deal with hair at all, but have gritted my teeth and reminded myself that by mid-September I'll probably be wearing my hair down more often so those rowdy hairs won't be so noticable. Or (even better) they might be long enough to stay put.

Posted By: farmerburgess
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 9:15am

Jane,

I know how hard it is to grow out really short hair -- those in-between lengths can be very difficult to deal with.  Maybe one way to approach the process is to have lots of intermediate goals, with neat styles along the way so you can get a haircut to keep it from getting unruly, but still make progress toward your long-term goal.  Like pick out some styles you like from magazines, etc. and post them on your bulletin board so you have something to look forward to and can keep track of your progress.  Like this, for example:

Don't forget the power of scarves, pretty barrettes, etc., and the slick gelled-back look.

Good luck!

Posted By: laststar
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 9:29am
Go for it I think you will look good with long hair.  It looks nice now although you should give long a try you never know you may like it.  Good luck.

Posted By: Tyranna
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 11:13am

You have a nice haircut and look good in short hair, but if you want to grow your hair out and are uncertain, you could try one of two things. 

First get a hairstyle computer program that lets you try out different hairdos on the computer.  Cosmopolitan used to have one of these programs.  You take a digital head-on shot of your face and inport into the program and then can try out a variety of hairstyles.  Some hair salons may offer this feature as well.

Secondly, purchase a long hair wig and try it out for a couple of days.  SOmetimes it is rather surprising how differently people perceive you when you make a change to your appearance.

Posted By: farmerburgess
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 11:29am
I think http://www.clairol.com - Clairol has an online try-on-a-new-hairstyle program (free) as well.

Posted By: Kalika
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 12:54pm
Jane - you never mentioned if you WANTED long hair or not.  what do you want?

Posted By: cherrychip
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 1:39pm

The short hair looks good on you, I think.

Posted By: LongBraidz
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 6:24pm

Hi Jane,

you have a pretty face...definantly suited for both short or long hair. You just have to ask yourself what you really want...are you going to be 110% committed to it...and are you truly going to be happy with it. The "Long Hair" people here are great at keeping you motivated and the support is wonderful.

whatever you decide...my best wishes to you.

-------------
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~

Posted By: laststar
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 4:31am
Jane if you do decide to grow it long, (which i  hope you do) I think it would be fun to give us progress pic's ever now and then.

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:18am
Let's put it this way- you definitely look great with short hair, but YES!!! With your thick hair, long locks would look beyond spectacular on you. I hope you go for it. There is nothing more beautiful in this world than lengthy tresses on a woman. Without Prejudice (lol), Bob

Posted By: ACCOLADY
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 9:14pm

Hello Jane,

Much in agreement with the others, you are a very attractive young lady with great features and an oval face to boot...able to pull off just about any hair style you want. You will find that while you look good in any style or length, some are more flattering than others. That 'in between' stage is what will get you, especially if you long (pardon the pun) for change frequently.

I'm going out on a limb here to say you are still young, and what a great time to play with various looks without commitment. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would play with length and cuts quite often in my younger days, then settle down for some serious long healthy hair care. I've pretty much always had long hair and have never really experienced variety and spunky fun cuts on a whim.

Go for it, whatever makes you feel good is what looks best, though it's worth repeating, you've got the face shape and great features to pull off any style. Try one of each until you see what makes you feel like IT.

Karen Marie

-------------
Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005

Posted By: goddess_mels
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 9:42pm
Oh Jane, aren't you lovely! I agree with the previous posters. You can probably pull off any look, long or short. If you decide to grow it long, I would suggest no bangs. I think that would give you a sweet, somewhat heart shape-faced look. Good luck with whatever you decide. In the final analysis, it doesn't really matter whether one style or another is more "flattering" to a person. It's just what he or she wants. I've heard it said that long-faced people, short-faced people, wide-faced people, people with long or short necks, short or tall stature should not have long hair.  You will honestly find SOMEBODY out there who tells you not to grow your hair no matter the circumstances. So it's up to you. Good luck!

-------------
Mels

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:23pm
Hello Jane, and welcome! 

I agree with everything that has already been stated regarding your decision.  It all comes down to what you want.

-------------

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 11:03am

Joining in with the choir: you´ll look stunning in any hairstyle, and it´s all about you and your choices.

If you´ve been short for ever, then you should expect that growing it very long (if that´s what you want) will change other things about you, like dress, grooming habits, mind set, and more. Growing out and having really long hair, I found, was more of a lifestyle choice than I realized in the beginning. And fun, because as Fatmoogas says, change can be a very positive and good thing! Only when we are challanged do we grow!

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: Rosalie
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:02pm
You are very pretty, but I think the style is a little boy-ish... a chin length bob would be marvellous. Maybe change the colour too? A more reddish tone, or golden blonde?

Posted By: ACCOLADY
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 8:07am

From short and dark to a blond bob?

I only WISH I had the courage to sport such a fun cut as Jane!  

-------------
Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005

Posted By: Rosalie
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 10:12am
A chin length bob wouldn't take very long to grow, though, and would be perfect for her face.

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 8:45pm
Assume Jane is evaluating  all this advice. Did she make any decision? Was any of this useful?

Print Page | Close Window