Print Page | Close Window

i have a question about my layers

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33834
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 12:26am

Topic: i have a question about my layers
Posted By: crazylady
Subject: i have a question about my layers
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:46am

hi everyone, i am new to the forum, and love that you have somewhat of a "support group" for people who want long hair.  I have been coloring my hair for years, but recently decided to stop, cuz i'd rather have length, and my hair always gets so dry from dye. ANYWAY... presently i have a shortish cut with layers. the top layers are about5 inches long, and the very bottom of the nape is about 3 inches long. I wonder how i should go about growing it out. i want to see the progress of length, but i have also thought should i just keep cutting the bottom til it meets to tops length?at that rate, i would appear to have short hair for a long time. but if i just let the layers go, getting it trimmed regularly, it will look longer quicker, right? what do you guys suggest, as the experts?

Replies:
Posted By: Amazing Grace
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:14am
I'm also growing out layers.

I've been getting a hair trim every two months and telling my hairstylist to not take off much length - like only 1/2". It's going to be a long time before all my layers are the same length, but I'd rather see the length increase.

I'm debating about getting a two or three inch trim when my hair gets just below BSL in order to get old perm cut out and also to even out some layers. I figure that will leave me with enough length to still be able to do stuff with my hair, but also get rid of a significant amount of damage.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:32pm
The stylist should trim only from the bottom/longest layers.  The shorter/top layers should be untrimmed (or minimally trimmed) to allow them to catch up to the rest.

-------------

Posted By: sarondie11
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 1:43am

i agree with Dave. just keep an eye on the shorter layers to make sure damage/splits aren't travelling too far up the hair shaft. if they are, that's where the "minimal" trim might become a necessary evil. hang in there, and enjoy the length of your longest layers!

-------------
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Print Page | Close Window