Print Page | Close Window

Halfway through shrinkie install...

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=34079
Printed Date: September 28 2024 at 5:20pm

Topic: Halfway through shrinkie install...
Posted By: kateadreena
Subject: Halfway through shrinkie install...
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 12:33pm

And the shrinkies keep splitting :( Is it cos the heat is too high?

Allso a few pretips keep falling out. why's this?
Otherwise it looks fab and i finally got some decent 613 in :D

Pictures tonight!

Replies:
Posted By: gsmilie
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 1:00pm
I found that if I heated them too long, they split and/or squeezed the tip right out.  Try just tapping the heat clamp a few times in the shrinkie until it shrinks down, then just squeeze and roll.  Can't wait to see pics.

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 1:01pm

Ok thanks hun

need to go back and re-do a few rows ( teaching my mum to do it at the same time she's actually doing my hair is never good :P)
Will try get pictures tonight!
Need to remove and reapply split shrinkies too

xx

Date Posted: August 15 2005 at 4:01pm

So, i had them in for 5 days, and i'm not kidding, every time i brushed my hair at least 5 fell out...
i did it on clean, unconditioned hair, and pretiped like everyones said with nail glue on top...

perhaps shrinkies don't like my hair?

Posted By: niftygirl
Date Posted: August 15 2005 at 5:52pm

That's too bad. I was looking forward to your final pics!

I've had mine in a week now and these babies are not budging. I used black shrinkies from Amms and also used the heat wand from her store at it's highest setting. I did my pretips with Liquid gold without nail glue. Maybe someone with more experience has an idea why this could happen...I just don't know.

Posted By: elvira
Date Posted: August 15 2005 at 7:19pm
I have the same problem. I think I overheated mine also. Or didn't heat them enough. They don't favor my hair either.

Posted By: marie87
Date Posted: August 15 2005 at 7:27pm
Do not over heat that will split them.all so when it is still hot make sure it has not moved up leaving the tip at the botom because it will fall out sooner. If the shrink is left on then that is what happened. The tip needs to be flush with top.You have to move it down while it is still hot. My new ones have a bit of LG on them and that really has helped I have not lost one.

Posted By: gsmilie
Date Posted: August 15 2005 at 10:31pm
What brand of shrinkies did you use, I have read that some do not hold as well as Amm's do.  I have had mine in for 10 weeks now, an I am just now starting to lose some.  I have lost a couple here and there, nothing noticable or concern causing.

Posted By: Amanda8Beechwoo
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 4:30am
Kate, its not you chick, shrinkies are just no good with nail glue, its too slippy, that's why they are coming out.  You need to either tip your hair with nail glue or keratin xx

Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 5:25am
I do use Amm's.

Posted By: amm
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 6:41am
gsmilie is correct.

Heat shrink will split with excessive restriction and that comes with too high heat for a prolonged period of time.

115C (240F) is the temperature they shrink and that's all that's needed. The examples that I send out are all done between medium to high setting for just a few seconds. A couple short taps is all that's needed with dual-sided wands. There's no squeezing of the wand required at all. Even with such a light quick touch, the adhesive inside begins to react and forms a bead outside the shrinkie that provides a waterproof seal on both ends.     

Turn down the wands and do some testers off the head and really watch how fast and tight they get in just a few seconds. Shrinkies don't shrink down any more at 20 seconds than they do at 10.

Oh, re: the tip falling out... that's a placement problem. If they're situated too low when you heat the shrinkie, they'll squeeze your tip right out the bottom. Start putting them a bit higher and that will solve that. :)

-------------
http://shrinkies.net - Extension Supplies & Virgin Brazilian Hair

Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 8:05am
I had the tips level with the top of the shrinkie, even tried poking some tips out a bit.  I used too much heat at 1st which split some but then proceeded to tap each side and roll as advised on here but nothing worked :(
I did the different things on different parts of my head and each came out the same

Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 8:23am
Take it from someone who knows Kate, its the nail glue.  I did about 15 clients in total with nail glue, half had them falling out all the time and half it worked for, ditch the nail glue if it doesn't work for you, you're not doing anything wrong x

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 8:58am
i did the top without to test and that fell out too :/

Posted By: amm
Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 10:04am
kate, can you send a few of your shrinkies to Amanda so she can try a couple?

-------------
http://shrinkies.net - Extension Supplies & Virgin Brazilian Hair

Posted By: flygirl1
Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 11:12am
OK, I am reading this and am a little confused.  Amm, you recommend to tip with nail glue, and I was just about to go out to Sally's and buy some.  But from what I gather from this post, it can cause them to slip out.  So, should I use nail glue or not use nail glue over the LG?  Thanks!

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 12:40pm

yea.. they are amms shrinkies..

I was experimenting. i tipped the majority with silicone some with latex and i think i tried some house glue on a few more. I'm highly confused"
They held tight on my mannequin head, but on mine they fell right out

Amanda i can send you some if you give me your address but im not sure its the shrinkies x

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 1:23pm

Hi there Kate, first of all don't worry there's nothing wrong with your install and nothing wrong with Amm's shrinkies I use 1200 a week and have never had a problem with them, its what you're using is the problem.  Like a said half of my clients that I used nail glue and latex with, half it suited including myself, half they fell out.  If you just tip with latex that's just not strong enough, its too springy if you know what I mean, if its going to be latex, its got to be nail glue over the top.  Silicone is the same, as far as I'm concerned, nothing that's rubbery is going to stay in a shrinkie for any length of time unless its silicone that reheats and to a certain extent adhere's to your hair as well.  The worst thing you can use is household glue, even if you go over this with nail glue, it is water soluable and will break down, you will get excessive shedding and the shrinkies will be left in your hair but the hair will just come out, like in handfuls. 

You have hair like 65% of my clients, it doesn't suit shrinkies with latex, silicone or nail glue.  The only way to go chick is tipping with keratin or clear glue (polyamide), keratin is the strongest, these glues are both remelted when you shrink your shrinkie but only a tiny bit of it remelts into your hair.  This is the only way for you to go.  I have started using this on all of my clients.  The residue from both glues come out with Amm's remover because of such a small content of the glue goes into your hair so there is still no need for nasty acetone, unless of course there are stubborn bits.  My clients hardly have any come out at all now, its such a relief, I'm talking maybe 10-15 in total in 12 weeks.  One of my clients has had hers in now for 6 weeks and she hasn't lost one, hope this helps xxx

Date Posted: August 17 2005 at 3:07pm
I had the same thing happen with the nail glue. I still use epoxy to tip because I can make about 6 all at once. But last install I put a bit of LG over it before I cut them apart and I have to say I have not lost any !!!!! It has been about 4 weeks I think. LG is the way to go or keritin like Amanda say's but I'm so afraid I wont be able to get it out with just the oil.I don't ever want to use accetone again it burns my throat and gives me a headache.

Posted By: nicey
Date Posted: October 10 2005 at 3:46pm
hiya,im new to all this and would love to know where i can buy keratin glue from..?? i have got some human hair from ebay that is not tipped and from what i have read in these posts thats the glue i need to install with shrinkies

Date Posted: October 10 2005 at 5:01pm
www.haircandy.net

Print Page | Close Window