Print Page | Close Window

PurpleBubba’s Demo Family

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=34660
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 10:29pm

Topic: PurpleBubba’s Demo Family
Posted By: PurpleBubba
Subject: PurpleBubba’s Demo Family
Date Posted: August 26 2005 at 3:05am

PurpleBubba's Demo Family

Hello everyone. Here is my family of Manikins for demonstrating updos and styles.

Sequoia

Hair: 19.5 inches long. (about 3 inches past white band)
Currently cut into a long one length blunt cut

In these next photos Sequoia is wearing her hair in the

"Soft & Sensual" from
5 Minute Trendy Up-dos.
Barbara Lhotan
Instructions at Hairboutique.com
http://hairboutique.com/tips/tip960.htm - http://hairboutique.com/tips/tip960.htm

Please note that her hair only reaches just below her neck so it doesn't drape as well as the girl in the book. But I managed to get it in place. :) For the front pieces I did not use a curling iron. I just used a round brush's "Round Handle" as a roller and rolled up the hair and held it for a few seconds rolled up. I then unrolled about a 1/2 a turn or so and then turned the handle straight up and down and pulled the handle carefully out of the curlled up hair. That made the curl stretch kinda like a spiral would look (or one of those party favors on a stick that you flick and it unravels). That was it. I'm not saying that you should do this if you want those curls to stay.

This is Sequoia from a few days ago. She is wearing a regular ponytail but with 2 scrunchies.

The blue scrunchie was placed on the tail to secure it. Then the white beaded scrunchie was placed above the blue scrunchie loosely. then in the same manner as using it to secure a tail I twisted it and put the tail through again. But I left the second loop below the blue schrunchie. I made sure that when I twisted the white one that the X was close to the head. I got these two scrunchies with my book

Hair : A Book of Braiding and Styles / Book and 3 Scrunchies
-------------------------
By- Anne Akers Johnson (Klutz Books Pub)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570540187

You can also find it in stores, but be sure to look in the kids section if you can't find it. Most Klutz books are for kids. I found mine there at Barnes n Noble.

Hanna

This is the new head with a shorter neck.
Hair: 28 -28.5 inches long. (about 11 inches below neck)
Currently cut into a deeper U using Feye's instructions with the head held straight up, not tilted. Some of her hair is already shorter than than the U so its not perfect. The hair on the sides was originally 2 shorter tails of hair that reached a bit below her neck. They needed a trim so I decided to cut some neck framing layers using the chin as a guide and going down from there. Oh and as far as making the decision to cut the layers, Her hair was not going to grow anyway so I figured I would cut them and use them to challenge myself a bit more when I do try updos and such.

Hanna
Front View - Hair in back is in the bun shown in the next picture.

Bun - Same style 2 pics, to show color and clarity. ;)

I was attempting to do the Bee Butt Bun and this bun came as a result of twisting the tale in the first step. Then right near the ends of the tail I made a little (donut, flat bun, insert your own description?) and then I began flipping the little bun up and into the tail like I was folding a sheet. When I got it to the head I held it there and slipped in one of the two colored pencils as a hairstick since I didn't have them. While I do like how this turned out this was actually the second little bun I made and the first one looked like a heart. But when I went to adjust one of the pencils it started coming loose so I tried to do it again. So if I figure out how to do the Heart I will post it. Those are 2 colored pencils that are both Violet.
PS: If you know what this bun is called let me know. To me it kinda looks like a beetle or a lady bug. I guess I made a Beetle Butt Bun.

Down Back View before trim (see above for explanation)

This was just a picture I took with the camera to see how it would come out. This was on the old head just before I had my bright idea to shorten the head a few days ago. Do not put Model glue on styrofoam. Unless you like styrofoam to have craters.

Pictures from 2000 - Old Head
Regular Braid

Rope Braid

Please forgive the sloppiness. I did not have anything except that board to mount the head on and its really hard to comb through when the only thing holding it to the board is a couple of screws that barely go into the bottom of the green part. The only other option I had back then was to hold it in my lap. So it's as good as I could do with the skills and equipment I had at the time. These were probably my first two somewhat succesful attempts to do any braid. By the way, this hair tangles easily. Back then I tried using Suave For Kids detangling spray, Awesome Apple and it seemed like it made the hair more sticky than anything else. The other day when I got the manikins out I dumped out the suave stuff because I needed a spray bottle to put my new stuff in,
a dab of my Aussie - Knot Forgotten into the bottle and then fill with water and shake. and just used that. Although the bottle does say it's a rinse out conditioner so I don't know if it should be left on Our hair. It does work great on the manikins though. Just think if you had fishing line for hair.  Note: Its the same picture 2 times. These were scanned from regular pictures and I was trying to show them with both the right color and clarity. These are about as close as I can get. Her hair has this dark red almost purple tone and I love it. It reminds me of all the henna pictures I'm seeing. I did not color this hair so either its a natural color (if its human hair) or the manufacturer colored it.

Veronica

Veronica

Hair: 15 inches long.
Currently cut into a one length blunt cut bob
Veronica joined the family to try out new haircuts. This left her sister Sequoia with longer hair that can still be made into updos as seen above. Veronica has her hair cut into a bob, by me. I personally like it in this style and will not cut it again until its required for an assignment. Note: I am using 2 bobby pins to hold hair off to the side so you can see her face better. I don't have any barrettes or other stuff yet so bobby pins for the bob it is. ;)

I do plan to show some short hair updos on Veronica as well as braids and other stuff.

Note: to those who have read my cosmetology journal, I let the school adopt Sonya. The junior room hardly had any manikins to work with so I let her stay behind.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Replies:
Posted By: laststar
Date Posted: August 26 2005 at 6:38am
Very ceative, interesting. Sequoia's is nice.

Print Page | Close Window