Print Page | Close Window

How long does it take?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=34905
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 8:19pm

Topic: How long does it take?
Posted By: cbtmwydcatf
Subject: How long does it take?
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 2:48pm
Hello, I just found this website today. I have rather short hair, it's almost to my shoulders(i ran a straightener on one side to see how long it was)and i'm getting it trimmed tomorrow. does trimming hair(getting split ends cut off)help the process of it growing faster? i was wondering if it were possible to get my hair just a little below the top of my shoulders in 2 weeks. is this possible? If i got it trimmed tomorrow how much do you think it would grow in 2 weeks? is a multi-vitamin reccomended? i'm envious of alanis morissette's hair, that's my goal for the next few years!

Replies:
Posted By: cbtmwydcatf
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 2:50pm
i forgot to add that my hair grows a little more faster after i get a trim but then slows down after a few weeks of getting it trimmed.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: September 05 2005 at 11:00am
Welcome, cbtmwydcatf! 

Interesting name there... care to share how you derived it?

Having your hair trimmed only makes the ends all the same length.  A trim will only remove splits if they happen to start below the level to which your hair is trimmed.  A better way to remove split ends is to examine the strands individually and (very carefully!) trim individual splits.  This process is otherwise known as "search & destroy."

Trimming just the tips, once in awhile, should not significantly affect your hair's growth rate.  If your hair grows at the average rate of 6 inches per year, and you have 1/4" trimmed just from the tips every 2 months, your hair length can gain 4 1/2" in one year.  Trim less length (or less frequently) and you could "save" more of that 6" of growth.  Trim more length (or more frequently), and you'll have less additional length in a year's time.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window