Print Page | Close Window

Blunt Cut

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=36508
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 6:32pm

Topic: Blunt Cut
Posted By: ChelseaB
Subject: Blunt Cut
Date Posted: October 19 2005 at 9:31pm
Hi all, I was in my hairdressers last Saturday getting a updo done for homecoming and mentioned how fizzy my ends are. She asked if I had  ever had a razor cut, which I had about 2 years ago (I am trying to grow my hair back out, including layers) and she suggested that I needed a "blunt cut" I guess that would mean chopping off the end of my layers making them choppy.  Does this sound right? Or shoudl I just keep away from the scissors and my layers won't be so fizzy when they grown out? Thanks!

-------------
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii

Replies:
Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 6:28am

Well I think this is an issue that is to do with the appearance of your ends.  Blunt cutting them will make them appear thicker. Do you have curly or straight hair?  If it is straight, then your hair may appear healthier looking if you have the ends blunt cut.   If your hair is curly, then more tapered (or frizzy ends) will not be so noticeable.  I guess it's really up to whether you like the appearance of thicker hair.  Your ends will still look the same, no matter how long your hair grows. 

If you DO decide to get the ends blunt cut, then ask for the absolute minimum to be taken off so that you don't lose too much length.

Hope this helps

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 7:20am
Razoring cuts hairs at an angle, instead of straight across.  They are more prone to damage (fraying) if they are cut at an angle than if straight across. A blunt cut is just straight across all the hair at the bottom, it won't do anything "choppy" because it doesn't touch the  upper layers.  I wouldn't get too much chopped off all at once in a blunt cut either - you can do it a little at a time like missrini said, that way you don't have to deal with losing too much length at once.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 9:07pm

Hey, I have straight medium-thin hair. My hair is in pretty good shape besides my frizzy ends. And yeah I would love to have hair that appeared thicker. I will also ask for the VERY  minimum to get cut off since it has taken my awhile to get to the length that I am at now.

Susan, it is my layers that are frizzy, my longer hair underneath is fine, it isnt firzzy at all.  I need the ends of my layers cut, not my underneath hair.

both of you, thanks for the advice!

-------------
Chelsea~*

Posted By: baker46
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 9:15pm
I made the mistake in Aug. of having my hair layer with a razor cut!!! It has taken this long for it to grow out! She really "butchered" it! I wouldn't recommend a razor cut to anyone. I also have med.-thin straight hair and she told me it would give me some "volume"! Needless to say, I haven't gone back to her. My ends are slightly frizzy and I live in a hot, humid climate so I seem to have to control right now!! I'm also trying to grow it out to maybe shoulder length and I don't know what to do with it now. I hate to have it cut again....even a blunt cut. I don't want to take the length that I've started to get back. Again...I wouldn't recommend razor cutting!

Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 10:45pm
I know exactly how you feel Baker46, I am getting the blunt cut tomorrow with a totally new hairdresser...I will tell you if it works and how much hair gets cut off  My hair is about 16 inches long, hopefully it is at least 15 acfter this cut...

-------------
Chelsea~*

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 10:56pm
Chelsea, you could tell the stylist to take less off the sides then from the back. Or less from the shorter layers than the longer ones.
You can get 1 inch off the longer part and then get just 1/2 inch off the shorter pieces. Unless you want more cut.

Good luck with your cut :)

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: Blonde16
Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 8:30am

I had long layers cut in a long time ago and I have spent a few yrs trying to get back to a one-length healthy hairstyle.  I had some razor cutting done and it just left me with some thin layers that got damaged, and now the layers on one side of my head are ten times shorter than the layers on the other side

I would never want layers again unless I was able to get a little bit trimmed every month and was able to totally pamper my hair. 

I hate layers esp when it gets humid out

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 8:52pm
Well I have to say, layers work really well with my curly hair....it's just all in the way they are cut.  I agree, razor cutting is BAD...very bad. But live and learn right?

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:02pm
Hey, so I went to the hairdressers today and my stylists cut about 1/4 of the dead  frizzy ends off. Which was most of it but their is a about 1/4 left. So I am going to go in next month after my hair grows out a little and get the rest cut off, so it won't be so dramatic and all that length gone at once. My hair feels pretty great right now (but doesn't hair always after a trip to the salon), and can't wait to get the rest cut off so I will have only totally healthy hair to great out. I am also considering getting a staightner to get the frizz down, when I had no layers my hair was stick straigh. So straightners are a whole new world to me.

-------------
Chelsea~*

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:09pm

That's great chelsea! Does your hair appear thicker now?  I wouldn't use a straightener if I were you....can be pretty damaging.  If you want to grow your hair long, then the less heat you subject it to, the better.

Good luck!

Btw....my hair doesn't always feel great after a trip to the salon   I usually leave feeling frustrated and depressed (after my curls are insulted and they cut way too much length off). Oh well.  That's probably why I'm not going to a salon ever again

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:17pm
That's great that you had a good trip Chelsea. I'm glad you had someone who only did a little bit so you can decide to come back later.

Rini, you have some of the prettiest hair I've seen. If a stylist can't see that then they should never use a roller, perm rod, or curling iron ever again to make curls on anyone if it was their idea to make curls.

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:20pm

Aaaawww.....PurpleBubba, thank you   That's a lovely thing to say! I was just posting in the "compliments" topic and was saying how compliments make me feel good.  Well.....I feel good   Thank you.

I think that they insult my hair, because the first thing they do is brush it out, and then of course it turns into frizzy, sheep hair. And they look quite horrified (but then, so do I!! lol)

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:35pm
You're welcome Rini. Good timing :)

I think part of the problem is that some stylists just do not have the patience to be gentle with people. I mean regardless of the client's hair type.

I've had some that even though they were starting the detangling from the bottom and going up they still yanked a bit too much. Sometimes I'd have the urge to tell them to just cut the knots instead of yanking them. I never did though.

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 10:07pm

I know that staightning can be damaging but I wouldn't do it every day, and I want a CHI Iron. It acutal seals in mositure then take it away, which waht the damaging part about straighting is. And that they pull break out, but this straightner doesnt do that either. Which it shouldn't for its price!

Both of you have beautiful hair in their own way! Purplebubba you have beautiful long locks, and Rini has gorgeous red curls!

-------------
Chelsea~*

Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 10:14pm
Thank you Chelsea.
It sounds like you've thought about the straightening a lot. I hope that works out for you.

Print Page | Close Window