Print Page | Close Window

TIPPING YOUR STYLIST

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=36624
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 10:11pm

Topic: TIPPING YOUR STYLIST
Posted By: HairDoozie
Subject: TIPPING YOUR STYLIST
Date Posted: October 23 2005 at 8:14pm

Hello All:

If anyone has any suggestions, it would really help!

I am a hairstylist, who gets very frustrated  with my cheap clients!! I know they love me, and love my work. Because they have been with me a long time. It's very odd, because, the ones that are the cheapest are the ones who followed me to the salon I am at now. I was at another salon, owned by family member.

Here's the deal...It doesn't matter what their bill comes to, they always tip me the same $5.00 tip!!! Yes, I wrote that correctly...FIVE DOLLARS!!! 5 NEW JERSEY DOLLARS!!  Worst part, I have a mother daughter duo, and they do the same thing. Just this past weekend. Foils and haircuts. Mother's bill was $120.00 and the daughter's bill was $140.00 and they both tipped me the same five bucks.

And it's really wierd, because there really isn't any way to approach this subject. I don't have the guts to do stuff like: "oh this will get me far" etc...I'm not like that.

So, if anyone can help....please do!

Doozie

Replies:
Posted By: phil
Date Posted: October 24 2005 at 8:55am
Aargh - don't get me started...  
I know hair stylists, bar workers etc work for low wages. So do I, for the government (lowest end of the pay scale) and guess what, I haven't received a penny tip in all of 27 years!
Don't get me wrong, it's not your fault, I just fail to understand how some badly paid jobs should attract tips and not others.
Actually I do know why, it's so that some employers can pay rubbish wages by shaming the public into subsidising them. Maybe your best bet is to ask your old Scrooge for a raise?

-------------
phil

Date Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:02am

Well, asking my boss for a raise is out of the question.  In this field, it doesn't happen.  I work strictly on commission. Which is only 50%. And, that WILL NEVER GO UP. The only time we get a raise, is when the prices go up for the client.  And then, "cheapy clients" STILL will tip the cheap tip they always have been!!! I live off my tips. I buy my gas, grocerys, pet supplies, etc.  My pay check goes right into the bank to pay for my house bills.  And being a single working woman it is difficult.

I was just hoping there was some common and kind way of letting the client know.  Posting a sign is tacky.  A friend of mine suggested this:  Make some new business cards.  And, on the back, put a little note about tipping.  And, give them to these clients.  He feels they are ignorant and not knowing of tipping etiquette.  

Date Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:07am

Hey Phil,

By the way, there are just some jobs you don't have to tip the person.  Hmm, must be different in the United Kingdom.

Let's see, we tip: Pizza delivery/hairstylists/

bartenders/waiters/mailman(at holidays)/ newspaper delivery person/ car parking for valet/ dog groomer/.........and the list will go on. I can't think of others at this moment.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: October 24 2005 at 7:34pm
Some thoughts...

$120 - $140 is a LOT of money to spend on hair.  These people, your "cheap clients," have the same personal budgetary concerns as you do.  They have to pay for their basic living expenses -- rent/mortage, taxes, utilities, food, gas, clothes, etc, etc... -- and have $120 - $140 "leftover" for hair services?  Maybe tipping more than $5 is just not within their budget.

As you have no control over the base rate (at your current salon), nor over the amount your customers tip, I suggest that you do one of 2 things:  (1) accept that what you are making is what you will continue to make (i.e., don't expect more), or (2) find another salon where you can make more, either through a high percentage commission, a higher base rate, or more customers.  You could always moonlight (hairstylist or otherwise).

In my personal opinion, putting anything about tipping on your business card is extremely tacky... worse even than the slight you feel for getting tips of only $5 from your "cheap clients."

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2005 at 9:14pm

Yeah, I thought posting any kind of note would be tacky no matter what. Thanks for saying so.

I just believe, that if one can afford to pay the prices at our salon, then they should be able to afford the tip, or go somewhere else. Plus, I know for a fact that one of them most certainly can afford it. I know they are very well off. I am sure if they went into a restaurant that was pricey, they would put out more.  As a matter of fact, listen to this.

One time when this one particular client came in, as I was doing her hair, I brought up conversation about something that had just happened to me the night before.  I had been to a restaurant, and the service was so bad, (after almost 2 hour wait for the food), that I declined tipping. That was a first for me. I was extremely angry with the service. Well, I told the client about this, bringing up the fact that I 'always' tip 15-20%. She whole heartidly (spelling?) agreeded with me. Telling me that she always leaves the same, and her daughter too, being that she used to work as a waitress! And, alas, still the wonderful 5 dollars.

Oh well.

Yes, I am looking for another salon in the area where I live. It would be a whole lot closer. But, I will have to do it slowly. Meaning, find a salon where I can work p/t 2 days a week building a new clientele. And, little by little pull out of the place I am at now. Because all my clients are 30 minutes north of where I work. So, they will not follow. Have to start over.

Thanks Dave.

Posted By: KellyH
Date Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:09pm
I generally tip 15-20% for all services whether it be my Stylist or Foodserver/Bartender. Most of the time more. I just had lowlights done and it was $70. I tipped her $15 and I wasn't even completely happy with the color she chose. I think my understanding comes from 5 years in the foodservice industry.

Posted By: buzzedboblover
Date Posted: October 25 2005 at 12:50pm

Hmmm, It's up to the individual what they tip and if you try to push it people will go elsewhere as you will appear forward and greedy. There are as another poster said, a lot of people in low paid jobs with no chance of tips so you should be grateful that you get anything at all above your agreed salary or percentage. I'm sorry to be so blunt but You chose the salon/ job you are in so I'm afraid you will either have to :

put up and shut up

find a new salon to work in with a better percentage or other payment sheme

work more hours as you say you only do 2 days a week

find a new career with a better wage

I'm afraid any that's just the way it is for lots of people besides you, If you try to draw clients attention to the way you feel, they will be offended and you will lose out even more. Maybe not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps you to get a little perspective on your situation.

Date Posted: October 25 2005 at 3:46pm

Hey, I appreciate all answers. Ya miss read what I wrote. I don't work 2 days a week. Go back and read again.  I am planning on looking for a p/t job at a salon nearer to where I work. I currently work 5 days.  But, am willing to cut down one day, and work that day plus another making it 6 days a week!!  I am tired of traveling to the area I currently work.

Well, yeh, I guess there really isn't any way to let people know what the etiquette for tipping is, with out it being tacky.  Guess I'll just have to suck it up.

In this business, in my state, seems it works the same (pay wise) almost everywhere you go.

Kelly: Well, I am sure you can talk to your stylist about altering the shade next time.  But overall, you like her and are basically happy with her.  Just like when a bartender makes a drink, it may not taste exactly the same as the one before.  Bad comparision...but, what I am trying to say is, work with her. If you go to her regularly, she will kindly help by fixing it.  I always do.  Communication is the key.

Date Posted: October 25 2005 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by HairDoozie HairDoozie wrote:

Kelly: Well, I am sure you can talk to your stylist about altering the shade next time.  But overall, you like her and are basically happy with her.  Just like when a bartender makes a drink, it may not taste exactly the same as the one before.  Bad comparision...but, what I am trying to say is, work with her. If you go to her regularly, she will kindly help by fixing it.  I always do.  Communication is the key.

Absolutely! I'll go back. I like her! I'd never been to her before and she heard all I'd done to my hair and made an educated guess......it looked good, but not for me. You can read about it here: http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36538&PN=1 - http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36538& amp;PN=1

Date Posted: October 25 2005 at 6:01pm

Well Kelly,

One thing you need to understand.  This was your first time to her.  You had to tell her your hair history.  I am sure, that there were a lot of things done to your hair?  If so, was this a color correction?  I didn't read your original post.  I will after this. So, if she was trying to correct your color, here's what most don't realize.  It may take more than one time to get it to where you desire it.  Sometimes it doesn't always happen in one visit.  Especially, if all the time consulting was used up, and now she has only limited time.  Right.

You can always go lighter with the color!!

Date Posted: October 25 2005 at 7:45pm
Yes, it was a color correction of sorts. She didn't charge me that because all she did was put chestnut lowlights in my hair. I had very light golden blonde growth at the scalp of about 2 inches and very light ash blonde with a mauvy tinge the rest of the length to the ends (a couple of inches shy of bsl).

Posted By: buzzedboblover
Date Posted: October 26 2005 at 1:02pm
Have you considered opening your own salon, perhaps with someone backing you, maybe a family member or a good friend. Check and see if their is any state funding available in your home area for starting up a business. Just an afterthought, hope it helps.

Date Posted: October 26 2005 at 5:26pm

Business owner is not for me.  I know that for sure.  Thanks

Posted By: Sunsailing
Date Posted: October 27 2005 at 10:16pm

I don't know what to tell you. Tipping in your industry is a significant part of your income.

I always tip my stylist about 20%. If you can tip a waiter that much, then why not your stylist? I wear my hair everyday, so I'll tip well for good service!!

Date Posted: October 28 2005 at 3:54pm

Exactly!! Thanks Sun...just wish I could relay that to those specific clients.  Oh well.

Thanks for being a great client.

Posted By: Rocky
Date Posted: November 02 2005 at 11:43am

Clients tips are supposed to be based on good service.  Are you doing everything you should be?  Failing that, there is nothing you can say or do to get your clients to tip more.  Any attempt to do so will blow up in your face. Don't even bring it up...  It's more appropriate for the salon owner to post a sign in a common area of the salon regarding tipping.  Don't post anything at your station.

If your book is full and you want to make more money without working yourself into an early grave, raise your rates.  Speak to the salon owner about a commission change based on higher rates.  If he/she is unwilling to make changes, it may be time to look for a new salon who will.  When/if you change salons, send postcards only to your best clients and leave the cheapskates behind.

Posted By: Tally
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 8:56am
I tip my stylist the same as waitstaff, which is 15% for acceptable service and 25% for great service.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: November 13 2005 at 6:36pm
I will add to my original post here...  in general I believe it is appropriate to be aware of and considerate of generally accepted tipping habits, and to select salons and services based on ones total budget which should leave sufficient room for a reasonable tip.  A wordy way of saying "don't agree to a $140 service if your budget cannot go beyond $145."

Posted By: fluffmitten
Date Posted: November 18 2005 at 6:48pm

In the UK it's different, I think, because our hairdressers get paid enough that tips aren't essential to live off. Correct me if I'm wrong here by the way!

I moved from England to Scotland and I think the tipping culture is different between the two because I tip what I always have (10% for average service, more for great, and rounded up if it's an awkward number) and people here are like "wow, thanks!", lol. It doesn't mean I'm going to start tipping less though

The funny thing is, last time I tipped under 10%, which I don't like to do, but the cut was more than I usually spend, and my stylist seemed genuinely pleased - poor guy must usually get rubbish tips

But normally I think that if I can't afford an appropriate tip then I won't go at all. I'd hate to look mean!

Posted By: always_alone
Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 4:53pm
Man, now I feel cheap. I always tip just a little bit. I always go to the same stylist because I have always gone to her. I give her only a little tip. She never expects a tip from me though. Last time I went in there, it came to like 26$ and I just handed her 30$. I just get a cut. That's it. No color or highlights...just a cut that takes about 30 minutes.

-------------
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist

Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 6:39pm
$4 is plenty, in that case imho! I wouldn't sweat it. That's no more than I would tip a foodserver.

-------------

Date Posted: November 24 2005 at 8:43am

Dear Always,

Believe me, stylists always expect a tip.  But $4.00 on a $26.00 haircut is good.  $5.00 would be 20%...so you are good.  15%-20% is the average tip today for servers, hairstylists and the like.  So don't feel bad. Ya did good.

And at restaurants if they have a certain amount of people at a table, the menu even states that a gratuity of 18% is automatically added!

Date Posted: November 24 2005 at 8:54am

By the way, if anyone ever has a difficult time figuring out the 15% and 20%....here is an easy way to figure a tip.

Let's say the bill is: $87.00      Move the "." over one space to the left.  $8.70 (dropping the last 0).  That is 10% of $87.00.  Moving the "." over one space to the left is ALWAYS 10% of that amount!  So, if you wanted to make it 15%, all you would have to do is add half of $8.70 (that would be $4.35) to  $8.70...making 15% of $87.00 =  $13.05.  Of course you would drop the 5 cents.  And to make it 20% just double the $8.70.  That would be $17.40.

Hope that helps all you folks out there who are afraid to say you couldn't figure out percentages! It's a really easy way to do. Especially if you are out at a restaurant and you don't want to whip out pen/paper/ or calculator!

Posted By: snoopval
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:23am
Hairdoozie- cute name by the way:)  I especially can feel your pain lol because i am a hairdresser.  However i think that you are looking at things the wrong way and playing the game wrong.  Tips are nice, but they are just extra.  They shouldn't be expected or counted on, they should be something that if you get it great, if not, it doesn't hurt you.  And i know that we work very hard in this bussiness, and i know all about commission, and that fifty percent commission is very generous, they couldn't pay you more than that or they would lose money.  However instead of being concerned about the tips, why don't you charge a little more.  Why don't you do things to get more clientelle?  Not to be rude, i don't know how you dress, but in the hair bussiness, at least in the States, we try to dress for the job or income we want to have.  If you dress like you have a lot of money, clients and potential clients are going to think you are well paid, and they are going to come see you. How is your consultation with your clients, consultation is everything.  Have you thought about getting an assistant so you can do more things, pamper your clients more, and get more clients int, equalling more money.  Also i'm sorry but in my experiance the more you charge, the more people will actually tip.  I guess maybe pshcologically they feel that it is a better service since it's more money.  Carry yourself like a professional, don't chatter so much about non related stuff, really talk about there hair, and what products that would be good for there hair.  I assume you get some money off of retail.  Good luck.  I know this is a frustrating job, but like the second poster pointed out, no one is compensated enough for there jobs, it's a fact of life, we work very hard nowadays, and were at work sometimes more than we are with our families.

Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:28am
Sorry i hate double posting but i did not previously see this.  Please under any circumstances, do not put anything about tipping on your bussiness cards. That is horribly tacky, however giving your bussiness cards to everyone and anyone is not.   You leave a tip at the restaraunt, put a bussiness card with it, if you are paying a bill, sneak a couple cards in.  When you go shopping, and your not at work, make sure you look immaculate, trust me you will get complements, casually mention what you do and give them your card.  When your at a party, give them your cards.  Carry them with you at all times, and always be prepared to give them out.

Posted By: brunette7
Date Posted: January 12 2006 at 10:20pm
Hello!

I've enjoyed reading these comments. Here is my question on tipping: What do you tip all the other people? The person who shampoos your hair? The colorist? The stylist? Do you always tip 15% and up of the bill? When the bill gets up to $270, you save and save to get your hair styled, blow-dry, colored, etc. Then you have a person who shampoos, one who rinses, one who colors, one who hilites, one who styles, one who blow-drys. The owners have signs up that they don't get tips. Just wondering your thoughts...what do you do with all those people working on your hair especially when they don't charge themselves for their services?

Posted By: Claude
Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 10:19pm

The average income for a hairstylist is pathetic! It's poverty level for your average american. As a hairstylist I can tell you that they are underpaid.

Hairstyling is a craft and when you become good within your craft you are worth far more than you are ever paid. It's really under appreciated at how much effort a hairstylist puts into a service to provide that professional salon style that everyone wants to walk out of the salon looking like. Yep we are underpaid BIG TIME there is no ifs, ands or buts about it. To compare it to being waitress is an insult and tipping 15-20% is an insult. First off in restaurants your being served food that is far more expensive than a haircut. A $50 food bill for 2 people and your tipping $7-$10 to a waitress....basically someone who just brings you food. Your hairstylist provides you with the look, the confidence and the beauty to be who you are....tipping them $3-4 on a $20 haircut IMHO is an insult. Reach in your pocket and throw them double that if you like their work and they did a great job.....I know I personally do everything I can for that client sitting in my chair to make them look and feel the best they can be. Think about it next time your getting your haircut because they hairstylists and hairstyling are under appreciated in this business. We are not just people bringing your food tossed up onto a counter by a short order cook.

Think about it next time before you tip your stylist. 25-30% is more like it if you are happy with your stylist.

Cheers! 

Date Posted: March 05 2006 at 8:59am
I'm still curious about what to tip all the other people, the colorist, the shampooer, the hairstylist. Last time my bill for hair, color, and highlight was about $380. That is a lot to me and it is hard to come up with a tip, especially if you are tipping everyone a 15% of the $380.

I find it hard to believe that stylist are at the poverty level. The ones I know live in $500000 houses and are master-stylists with master's level college degrees. Poverty? If I was only that lucky! But then I would never go to anyone who was "cheap" to get a haircut, as you just don't get the same effect.

Let me ask again....what do you tip all the other people, besides the hairstylist?

Date Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:15am

Usually the person who shampoos your hair is an assistant to the stylists and typically they are paid a small portion by every stylist who they assist by shampooing their clients and getting them draped and ready for the service by the stylist. Colorists & hairstylists tip them 20-25% for a service.

Some stylists who have built up a large clientel can make over $100k per year but that is a very small percentage of people who persevere years in the business. The average stylist makes $20k per year.

Date Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:21am
If that is true, that the stylist gives the shampooer a portion, then why do the seem to always expect a tip?

The colorists and hairstylists get 20-25% of the total? What about the highlight person?

What about the owners? Some tip them, some do not.

Date Posted: March 05 2006 at 2:09pm
Ok first off, personally I am a hairstylist and I don't think people should have to tip, true we may do more than a waitress but that is why we are getting the price of our service.  Second off though brunette7 it sounds from the way you talk that you go to more exclusive salons, and yes the average hairstylist does not make alot of money at all at least starting out.  I can tell you, now I live in a smaller area, but I got paid around 150 every other week, now I'm fairly young and I don't have kids to feed and all that, but you do the math at 150 twice a month, and yes you can understand why around poverty level isn't as insane as it sounds.  Now onto your question, there are a couple ways of doing this when you go to a more afluent salon.  First off some exclusive salons do not require tips, and at some salons if you see the owner, you don't tip him, however if you want to tip your stylist and all the people that help you, you can A-simply give the money to them, after you are done with your shampoo, hand the lady/guy the money,etcetera, this could get confusing so what you can do that is the eaziest, is give the master stylist the money and ask her or him if they could divvy it up to all the other people that helped you in the salon that day.  If the shampooer looks at you odd (then one, they are rude) and two you could politely tell them,  "Oh I'm giving the tip to the stylist, receptionist and they are going to divvy it up from there, because I'm paying by check, or I don't have my money with me."  Lie if you want.

Posted By: bornpisces
Date Posted: September 23 2006 at 1:10pm
I see no one has posted a reply on this topic in awhile. I found very interesting to read how decidedly different the views are on this subject. One thing is obvious though, those in the biz tip and those not are confused even if they do tip. There was a post from one hairdresser who wrote that she found it disturbing people tend to tip servers more than their stylist. People who just 'serve' them food. This really caught me off guard. It seems we all may be very confused. Why don't we just settle this and tip 20% everytime. I know from experience that your tip can make or break us. I believe there are skills we possess both as servers and stylists that the public have a need for and with out us, there would be a lot of bad hair days and a whole lot more mcdonalds. In some parts of Europe, tipping a server is not allowed. Do you know why? These people go to schools and colleges to learn these skills etc.. and guess what...they have already included the mandetory tip right in your bill. Tipping is not optional. I am not sure what a Stylist makes per hour/year, but servers don't make anything, literally. Two dollars and thirteen cents an hour. It barely pays our taxes, which means a zero paycheck or worse. Don't want to tip? I suggest you go and get a good pair of scissors and a frequent flier card for mcdonalds.

Date Posted: September 23 2006 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by bornpisces bornpisces wrote:

I am not sure what a Stylist makes per hour/year, but servers don't make anything, literally. Two dollars and thirteen cents an hour. It barely pays our taxes, which means a zero paycheck or worse. Don't want to tip? I suggest you go and get a good pair of scissors and a frequent flier card for mcdonalds.

Stylists typically are paid by the haircut and not paid an hourly wage. Corporations like Regis, Mastercuts, Fantastic Sams, etc pay their stylists $7 per hour in many instances however the industry is still predominantly an independant business model.

Unless you are an established booth renter who has a clientel and pays $100 - $150 per week to booth rent your mall stylists don't make much at all.

I know many salons where the pay is straight 50/50 that means the salon gets 50% and so does the stylist so lets say a haircut is $15.....the salon gets $7.50 the stylist gets $7.50 + tip if the client tips. It typically takes 30-45 minutes to cut and style a womens hair and if it's below shoulder length it's more like 45 minutes and possibly more.

Not to mention the stylist has to supply all their styling products, mousses, gels, leave in conditioners, hairspray, curling cream, etc and this is a costly expense and not something a stylist can charge a client for. That stuff gets expensive when you are buying it yourself so you when you take all that into consideration a HairStylist is not overpaid by any means. At least waitresses get an hourly wage. Most stylists get 50% commission and then it's taxed on top of it and plus you need to buy your own products.

I don't know any waitresses who need to supply their own materials for their jobs?

Bottom Line is a HairStylist is a very under appreciated craft and little respect is given to stylists because in the back of many people's minds they think oh they are doing hair because they can't do anything else or anyone can cut hair.

It's not appreciated like it should be....we are the creators and designers of a person's personal image....so tip your hairstylist and tip us well because it's not like we just show up for work and collect a paycheck. We really work our butts off for it to make ya'all look and feel your best!

Cheers!

Posted By: julesyjul88
Date Posted: October 04 2006 at 3:36am
 I do my hair at home...but the  times I DO go to a salon,I do tip very well unless the stylist isnt listening to me and does something I dont like.
I have to say though,most people dont consider hair a nessecity and maybe that's why they dont tip much. Sure,if you're rich and you have it,but most people arent rich and think hair is just "extra". 
That's kinda why I do my hair at home.Then if I want something special I save up and go to a salon. But if I was paying alot every month like just for having roots dyed,I couldnt afford a big tip as well.
I actually thought about doing this as a job too.I DO agree hair stylists dont get paid enough.They dont even have insurance like most jobs offer (even Mcdonald's) and it costs alot paying for it yourself out of of pocket.
But really what can be done about it? You dont NEED a good haircut and coloring~it's usually something people do to feel better and not because they will die without it. (and this is NOT my attitude,but I know alot people who think this way.Well,it's JUST hair so I shouldnt have to pay that much kind of deal)
My question is,do they get commision on the products they sell you? There have been times when I'd have tipped alot more,but after I bought the expensive products they kinda pushed on me I couldnt.
The ONLY times I have ever NOT tipped good though is as I said when I have had bad service. I can never seem to find a stylist that listens to me,they always seem to want to go off and do whatever. A good stylist is hard to find,and if you find a good one~tip them good!

Posted By: gsxxy
Date Posted: January 21 2007 at 8:36pm
wow i guess my hairstylist LOVES me then..

my cut is 40 bucks.. i usually just get it washed, trimmed, and he drys it (which takes forever!) and he gets $20 bucks. every time. no question.. i take care of him... he takes care of my hair :) that's how i see it...

Print Page | Close Window