Print Page | Close Window

biotin....food for your hair?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=36834
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 6:19pm

Topic: biotin....food for your hair?
Posted By: gossipqueen
Subject: biotin....food for your hair?
Date Posted: November 01 2005 at 2:18pm

I don’t know if this question is posted I didn’t find it. But I have been reading a lot about Biotin and its role in hair growth. Some articles have even gone as far as saying that biotin is “food for your hair.” And that hair loss results from a biotin deficiency. I have been taking about 5000 mcg of biotin daily. I’m not sure if I see a difference yet but I was wondering has anyone else used biotin for hair growth? Did you find that it worked in any way?

Replies:
Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: November 01 2005 at 5:28pm
I take 1000 mcg per day and have been taking between 1000 and 1500 since last November.

I've also mixed in some MSM and other things during that time.
Currently I'm down to just 1000 mcg Biotin and 1000 mg MSM

I personally am only taking low doses on purpose. I don't want my hair to grow faster. I just want to supplement my diet a bit. I'm not a doctor nor expert but I think that trying to rush the hair to grow can possibly cause it to grow out thinner. I could be wrong about that. Plenty of people take high doses and don't seem to complain so don't change anything based on what I say.

Is my hair growing? Yes I'm still getting at least .5-.6 inches per month. Is it growing faster or thicker? I don't know.
But it does seem to at least be growing in normal which is really all I want it to do. I haven't hit a terminal length yet if I have one.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: PrettyInPink
Date Posted: November 01 2005 at 11:48pm

I have been taking biotin for about a year now. I stopped for a couple of months because I ran out of pills and was to lazy to go buy more. But from when I was taking them before, and since I have restarted, I have noticed a significant increase in hair growth on my head, and unfortunately my body as well. Also my nails are growing longer and are thicker than before, usually they are little nubs that I constantly bite. I cut my bangs at the end of September, and after that regretted it very much, so I started taking biotin to grow them back. I measured them and they have grown an inch since then, from my eyebrows to the middle of my nose. I take 3000mcg of biotin and, 2000mg of MSM everyday. I just bought a new bottle of 5000mcg bitoin pills so it will be interesting too see what will happen when I begin taking those.

Date Posted: November 02 2005 at 11:10am
thanks for in info guys. Purple bubba, i read that biotin was suppose to make your hair look thicker so I hope it wont grow thinner. and pretty in pink, what do you mean your body got bigger as well does it make you gain weight? i thought it was suppose to metabolize fat and have the opposite effect? I take about 5000mcg a day as well, but i hope that it isnt harmful in any way!?! and what exactly is MSM you both mentioned it but I dont know what it is.

Posted By: PrettyInPink
Date Posted: November 02 2005 at 10:20pm
No, I meant that I have to shave more often, my body hair grew faster as well as the hair on my head. MSM is like a sulfur compound that naturally occurs in nature. Taken in pill form it is good for joints and weight loss, but it also helps with hair, skin and nail growth.

Date Posted: November 03 2005 at 2:51pm
Oh ok thanks for that I'll try to keep taking the biotin and see if it works.

Print Page | Close Window