Print Page | Close Window

Color or Henna?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=37348
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 4:26pm

Topic: Color or Henna?
Posted By: SpecialKitty
Subject: Color or Henna?
Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 10:55am
Hi, I'm a newbie, and I'm trying to grow my hair long. It is shoulder length right now. I've read a lot of your past posts about hair care, vitamins, etc. and I'm following the advice (THANKS!). I have a question about coloring. My hair is very fine and wavy/curly. It grows VERY slowly. It is also quite dry. I try to minimize blow drying and ironing. Since I have such fine hair I was wondering if coloring would be a good way to thicken it up a bit - does henna do the same thing?

Replies:
Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 11:04am
No no no no no no! Colouring damages your hair so badly and will make it much dryer. Henna is better for your hair than colouring but if you want to grown your hair long, then you'd be best of skipping the chemicals and getting some layers or somthing cut in to increase the volume of your hair. 

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 1:37pm
Thanks LadyFrog! You have beautiful hair!

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 2:21pm
It's ok. anytime
thank you

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: November 20 2005 at 3:12am
Well, I think we all know what I think about that......HENNA is a God-send! Don't use chemicals. They are dangerous for your health and they only harm your hair.  http://www.hennaforhair.com - www.hennaforhair.com is worth a good long read.

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Date Posted: November 20 2005 at 4:15pm
Thanks Rini for the link. Very interesting! I'm not sure I want the red in my hair from henna, but maybe I'll try the clear henna for conditioning.....Your red hair is quite pretty.

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2005 at 8:18pm
Thanks kitty, but you don't need to have red hair if you use henna. There are many combinations of colour that you can get just by using different herbs with the henna.  I strongly recommend using Cassia and Amla for conditioning too (and thickening....I know that's what you want!)

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2005 at 8:37pm
Cool - Thanks! I'll keep you posted.....

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: November 21 2005 at 7:34pm
Welcome, SpecialKitty!

I think the reason some people promote hair coloring as a way to make hair thicker, but what's really happening during the process is that the hair cuticle is being raised and then insufficiently laid back down.  (In other words, it's a form of damage.)  IMHO hair is better "flat" (silky, smooth and shiny) than it is "fluffy" or "full" or "full of body" (damaged and rough).  Haircolor processes that lighten the color are much more damaging than those that "lay" color down (typically, darker colors).

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: November 21 2005 at 8:19pm

The other thing is... there's an "illusion" behind coloring hair. Highlighting and dyeing hair makes hair look thicker because it adds dimension, by having more than one tone as if there was light and shadow (like your hair has more depth).

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: November 21 2005 at 10:52pm
Very interesting info, all! Hmmm, I think I need to start appreciating my hair for what it is - it's own special color and texture. It would be good to try henna at some point, but for now I think I'll just enjoy what it is and learn to keep it healthy. I can't believe all the great tips I've gotten just in the last few days. Thanks again, I'm glad I found this board!

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2005 at 10:54pm
And might I just add to Anais, henna will give you that multi-tonal irridescent colour to make your hair "look" thicker (although henna does actually make it thicker too)

-------------

Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 4:58am
Just be sure about the color you pick if you are going to try henna, it's almost imposible to get out if you don't like it. And you can't color over it with normal hair color afterwards.
On the other hand, I've only heard good things about henna. I've never tried it..

Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 5:00am
And I agree with Dave, the kind of thickness that coloring gives is bad for your hair, it will look dry, rough and more like a broomstick than hair in the end. 

Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 5:31am
Hey Vicky, if you use body art quality henna (the pure stuff), then apparently it is quite possible to colour over it with chemicals (not that you'd want to!!!)  But you are right, you can't get henna out of your hair (unless you strip it out with bleach).  But then again...who'd want to?

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 6:38am
Hi Missrini, oh i didn't know that 
A strand test is always a good thing to do, just incase

Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 4:38pm
Absolutely!

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: November 23 2005 at 7:49am
Okay misshenna, you're seriously tempting me to try henna again (something I thought I'd never do after...well, you saw my hair journey)!  I still have a jar of brown henna at home, and I'm being tempted to just try it on the underlayer...however, my jar says it wears off in 4-6 weeks.  I think its supposed to be pure henna, but I'll have to check the jar when I get home.  I certainly will never use henna over dyed hair again, so it shouldn't be a problem, but do you get roots?  Does it really not even fade a little, even on undyed hair after the 4-6 weeks?  Fading would actually be better for me, since if I want long hair I wouldn't have to do root upkeep, I don't want the ends of my hair to wind up a faded offcolor that never goes back to normal either (if it was a bright color, it wouldn't be so bad...what do you think?

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: November 23 2005 at 10:10am

I think it depends on your hair, probably on how porous your hair is. My henna job faded after a month and there weren't any roots. It might have been because the natural color is quite dark anyway.

"Misshenna"!

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: November 23 2005 at 3:55pm

Misshenna! lol  Nice.  Sorry if I go on about henna alot, but it really has changed my hair so much for the better.....it's my goal to covert everyone to it!!!  World domination! (insert evil laughter here)

But seriously....there is henna and there is henna.  Body Art Quality (BAQ) henna is an entirely different thing to what you can buy commercially. The commercial (compound) hennas are often sold in different colours, in other words they are FULL of additives.  Pure BAQ henna only stains one colour..RED.  However, having said that, you can add your own herbs to henna to tip the colour in various different directions.  For example coffee, cloves and indigo (especially) will make henna more brown.  Adding more indigo will make it a VERY dark brown to black.  BAQ henna will not fade, not even a little bit! Indigo however, can fade out of your hair over several weeks.  Personally, I use henna mixed with amla and cloves (amla for curl retention as henna has been known to straighten hair) and I get a lovely copper red which is my ultimate hair colour

I henna every 3 weeks. I have a cycle, henna week 1, amla week 2, cassia week 3 and then back to henna and start all over again.  I get significant roots after this time (i'm getting quite grey  ).  Sometimes I only do my roots with henna and then do a gloss over the lengths.  But henna does such wonderful things for my hair, that I often just end up splurging and doing the whole head henna.

Now Susan, what you have at home in that little jar should be thrown away!  There is no such thing as "brown henna" and I would be suspicious if it says it will fade.  Pure henna is permanent and will NOT fade.  Also, pure henna can be used on dyed hair and then even dyed over the top of (always best to do a strand test first).  The reason commercial henna sometimes comes out bright green is because of the reaction with the metallic salts (in the chemically dyed hair and in the additives in the compound henna).  Commercial henna can also be quite drying.

Really, using BAQ henna will be a whole new world for you!  It thickens, conditions, adds shine, stops hair fall, cures scalp problems...amongst other things.

Just an aside here: my sister used to use the Lush "henna" and found it hard to apply and quite drying on her hair.  Because of this she was very sceptical about my use of henna, but since she has seen my results she wants to try it too.  She now realises that what I am using for my hair is not at all the same as the "henna" she was using.

Now as for the commitment to henna (due to its permanence), this is something I would do anyway even if it did not colour my hair. Henna is a conditioning treatment for me and I love to do it as often as I can.  The side benefit is that it also imparts colour (which I love also).  You seriously can not get the conditioning effects that you get from henna from anything else! At least I've never had my hair feel or look this good from anything else (and I thought that salon conditioning treatments made my hair feel great....well nothing compared to this!).  I actually enjoy and look forward to my henna ritual.  Apparently in India, henna is a weekly ritual that involves the whole family (the women anyway). You can do a henna as often as you want (if you have the time).

So....I'll stop here. Sorry to go on so much. Gee, can you tell I love henna??  Anyway, if you have any more questions then please just ask me and I'll be happy to help.  Once again, I refer you to http://www.hennaforhair.com - www.hennaforhair.com which is a wealth of information.  There is a forum there which I am a regular poster to (these days just to help other newbies and share techniques) and you can also get lots of help there.

PS: Don't be scared of henna, it's been around for a very loooooong time and is much studied and tested.

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: November 24 2005 at 2:40pm
Thanks so much for all of the info!  I didn't know there were different types, that some were permanent etc.  The stuff I have I bought from a health food store, its called Rainbow henna, and the ingredients just say henna.  It is supposed to come out brown (they had a bunch of different colors for sale I remember).  It is a green powder that smells like hay and turns brown after mixed with water.  If there were additives, would they say so on the jar?  I thought they were required to.  They did mention rainbow on a page on the site you posted, and said the results were okay.  I haven't had the guts to try it yet, and if it winds up being drying, I probably don't want to...still thinking about it!  I'll just do one strand first like I'm supposed to before I dive in.  Thanks again!

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: November 24 2005 at 7:39pm

Susan, according to Catherine (who runs the hennaforhair site and is a henna guru!) the labelling on commercially sold henna is really bad! They don't say what is in it (really), so I wouldn't trust the labels.  Remember, you can't have "brown" henna if it is just pure henna. Henna is not brown.

If you're going to do it, I'd just go all out and get the good stuff. Your hair is precious (especially since we are all growing it out and it's going to be around on our heads for a number of years!) so treat it to a real henna

-------------

Print Page | Close Window