Forum Description: A place for sharing ideas, tips and our daily struggles
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=37675
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 11:23pm

Topic: Excercise
Posted By: ~*~UkGirl~*~
Subject: Excercise
Date Posted: December 01 2005 at 1:06pm
Hi

I have been trying to shift some weight for several years, on and off. Sometimes I have more success than others, but I always end up giving up because I love my food too much or because one thing or the other gets in the way.

I wouldn't say that I eat junk food, but I eat way too many carbs because my funny taste doesn't allow for much of a varied diet.

Anyway I have been on a diet for about a month now, have stuck to it (and am determined to carry on) but I feel I could loose the weight much quicker with more excercise.

Running is, by most accounts, the best thing... but really REALLY not something I enjoy. I am hoping to do a little... but am hoping there are other ways of getting "all round" excercises that I would enjoy a little more....

How well does walking work to shift the pounds? I do a little (to and from work, etc) at the moment, but if it would help I would do more. Or cycling is something I enjoy... is that an efficient excercise? Being winter I don't spend too much time out and about for the sake of it, but will make the effort if I can find some things to do to help me shift the weight in a more "fun" way.

I do enjoy swimming, and I believe that that is pretty good at assisting diets BUT I am very self-conscious about going to the swimming pool thanks to the skimpy bathing costume, and so end up only swimming in the summer when I can go in the sea.

Any suggestions of more enjoyable excercises would be great (or comments on those three?!)

I know that running and going to the gym would be the best thing, but I need to find a "happy medium" because if I really dislike doing it I might end up giving up on the whole thing.

Replies:
Posted By: gunnie71
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 5:02am

Hey U.K girl,

Have You heard of "Curves" for women?

It's a national Chain(I believe).

My soon to be sister-in -law swears it motivates her alot.

Plus my Fiance' Steve last month joined "Cuts" for men. Both are circuit traing workouts, more for guys at Cuts, like punching bag for example.

I could try it free for a month, but I prefer to Walk alot and Dance!

I'm almost 5'6" tall, and 133 pounds and wear a size 7/8

So needless to say I'm doing well.

I don't get easily winded like from fast walking or dancing a half hour straight, or even lifting, or running up stairs. My blood pressure is low,etc.

Keep up the work, but have fun too!

God Bless

-------------
Katie ;)

Posted By: Kuroneko
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 11:34pm
Get a pedometer ^_^ .  I read an article once that you need to walk at least 10,000 steps per day to lose weight, but the average person only gets around 5,000.  I got a pedometer recently, and I love it-- those days when I don't feel like exercising, I can look to see what a lazy slob I've been, and it gives me the motivation to get up and do it!

-------------
More awesome than a manatee!

Date Posted: January 26 2006 at 8:10am
Hi again.

Thanks for both the replies.  I think I will take up your advice of getting a pedometer Kuroneko, as making sure I get my 10,000 a day is just a good health move, besides a good idea for my fat-burning.

The excercise front has taken a turn for the worse though... I recently went to the doctor and have been told I have a problem with my back, and although she has told me more excercise will be good for it I am awaiting an appointment with a physiotherapist and until then I don't know what will do good and what will do bad so can't undertake too much.

I have to admit, things went badly off the straight and narrow over the Christmas period (I knew they would!) but last week I took the plunge and am back on my diet. Apart from cutting out the usual foods I'm having smaller portions, fewer snacks and trying to opt for healthy food.

I weighed myself on monday to find I'd lost 3lb... so I'm pleased. It would have been great to see the scales say I'd lost half a stone but I know from experience that if I try to do this too quickly/extreme I don't stick to it.

Anyway I will pop back and post my progress each week... hopefully it will be an added initiative. :)

xxxx

Date Posted: January 31 2006 at 4:49am
Losing slowly might be more frustrating, but I hear it's the best way to do it.  You're more likely to keep it off that way, or so I hear ^_^ .

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:24am
Well, a few weeks down the line and the progress isn't good.  After the initial loss of 3lb, the next week I was exactly the same and stepping onto the scales today I find I have actually PUT ON a pound! So after 3 weeks of dieting I've lost a grand total of 2lb, which is quite disheartening. I can't understand this pattern of loss (or should I say lack of ) because I have been quite continuous with my eating habits.

Luckily I have told myself from the beginning that it will be a long haul, and so I am determined that this isn't going to stop me.

As far as I can see the only thing that will help is increasing excercise considerably, so that's what I intend to do this week. Will be back next week -hopefully with something a bit better to report!

Posted By: katay
Date Posted: February 09 2006 at 2:59pm

Keep up the great attitude, becuase if you're mentally willing to acheive any goal, then Your body will follow.

For example, I'm reorientating to driving my gently used car. It's been nearly 11 years since i've driven;I not only love a challenge, but I do have alot of patience, so I hope all the best for You as well. I know driving and weight loss are different, but I hope the mind set helps you. Take care, Bye,....

-------------
God Bless,...
Katie

Date Posted: February 11 2006 at 4:55am
Currently I am in the market for a new pedometer-- I seem to have killed mine already -_- .  (Well, it might just be the battery, but thus far, the back has resisted all attempts to get inside and see -_- .)  Don't suppose anyone has recommendations for good, accurate ones that will last a long time?

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2006 at 6:06am

Hi Kuroneko,

Try going to Sears, they have everything,right?

Otherwise a walmart. I'd call 1st. I have a pedometer,..somewhere, I'll get back on track,;)

-------------
God Bless,...
Katie

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 12 2006 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by gunnie71 gunnie71 wrote:

Hey U.K girl,

Have You heard of "Curves" for women?

It's a national Chain(I believe).

My soon to be sister-in -law swears it motivates her alot.

Plus my Fiance' Steve last month joined "Cuts" for men. Both are circuit traing workouts, more for guys at Cuts, like punching bag for example.

I could try it free for a month, but I prefer to Walk alot and Dance!

I'm almost 5'6" tall, and 133 pounds and wear a size 7/8

So needless to say I'm doing well.

I don't get easily winded like from fast walking or dancing a half hour straight, or even lifting, or running up stairs. My blood pressure is low,etc.

Keep up the work, but have fun too!

God Bless

Hello Gunnie71,

Can you please explain why you and katay share the same name ("Katie"), the same tag line ("God Bless"), the same IP address... not to mention the eerily similar style of writing and other coincidences, such as a S.O. named Steve, and so on)?

And regarding that IP address, I'm curious why your profile states your location as "United Kingdom," when your IP address is located in the U.S.A.?

Please choose one login name, either katay or gunnie71.  Using two login accounts such as you doing is not in accordance with the guidelines for forum use.

Date Posted: February 17 2006 at 12:04pm

Hi Dave,

I think I explained my problem. Basically my comp had a virus. so then i tried to log on as gunnie, but it didn't work at first, so i tried a new name Katay. So that's the truth, and I'm staying with Katay.

Innocent mistake, please excuse me, I wasn't trying to break any rules, ok. Thanks Dave,;)

-------------
God Bless,...
Katie

Posted By: tanjuska
Date Posted: February 18 2006 at 5:04pm

hey,

about walking... walking is ok- takes more time than running, but also does does the trick. best is if you walk uphill. you should walk thta fast, that oyu can talk only short sentences- this way you shall burn callories. 

about apetite- do you drink soft drinks? if yes, do not- they increase apetite and cause cellulite. It is best to drink water or teas (no sugar)- at least 8 glasses a day!!!! many we mistake thirst for hunger- better drink water than eat , yes?

-------------
http://www.topbeautycare.com - BEST BEAUTY AND FASHION FORUMS

Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:50am
Water is great for weight loss!  I keep a big water bottle in the fridge, and try to drink the whole thing at least once over the course of the day.  Sometimes I refill it and start again ^_^ .

-------------

Posted By: Natty
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 10:46pm

Posted By: Natty
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:00pm
I have been up, down, and all around with diet and excersise...and I have read probably every article/ book imaginable .  I use to be a really picky, carb loving eater...but I finally decided to change my ways after having gotten frustrated with my unhappiness. So I went on the Scarsdale diet a few years ago, which is VERY strict caloric intake for 2 weeks alternated by 2 weeks of a lighter dieting period...You will lose weight very quickly, as with most quick diets, but its mostly water weight as they all are....I only recommend for you that you consider doing it because you will clear your system of sugar/ carby addictions and can truly change your taste in desires of food if you are motivated for those few weeks.  Its like boot camp...but in the end you learn to adjust your eating habits and then its just a matter of not allowing yourself to try that crap for "the heck of it"... because you really wont care about it after  a while.  A diet where you eat the same as you are, but in less calories is NOT going to help you lose weight beecause your body will still crave those refined - bad carbs and whatever else you are eating that is bad for you.  You will battle with yourself constantly as you crave and deny yourself. IT will  last  for awhile...but then you will ultimatly feel too deprived and give the whole diet up only to gain whatever you lost, which will make you feel terrible and allow the cycle to begin again. The only way is to CHANGE how you eat...and try dancing or kickboxing for excersise...  fun....or take an MP3 with you and alternate jogging and walking intervilles to build stamina to run... Too much said perhaps, but I hope it may help...

Date Posted: May 12 2006 at 10:54pm
There's no need to deny yourself any food, so long as you learn to eat it in moderation.  Like if you're craving chocolate, you could eat one of those new 60 calorie Hershey sticks, eat a fat-free pudding cup, or drink some lowfat chocolate milk to get your chocolate fix without so many calories.
Learning better ways to make treats can be helpful, too.  Like if you want cake, you get a regular box of cake mix, any kind you like.  Add nothing to it but one can of diet pop, any kind you like, but I've heard the ones made with Splenda are recommended.  Then you bake it like a normal cake, and frost it with light or fat-free Cool-Whip instead of regular cake frosting.  Still tastes good, and lower-cal ^_^ .
Of course, you have to plan the treats into your daily calorie allotment, just like any other food, and eat well the rest of the day to make up for it.

I guess if you're the type who hates whole grains, fruits and veggies, and other foods that are good for you, you might have a lot of dietary adjustment to do, to lose weight.  I like a lot of healthy foods already, though, so that part hasn't been so hard for me.  What's been hard for me are the portion control, and the thing about how to eat right when eating out.  I'm still working on those :-P .

-------------

Posted By: palikane
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 6:54pm
This fat free cake....don't you need eggs or something besides diet soda???
Love to know...sounds goood

Posted By: milachkaa
Date Posted: May 17 2006 at 7:35pm

I have been trying to get the perfect body for as long as I can remember.  It is a little more difficult for me because I only need to get about 5 or 7 pounds off, which tend to be the toughest.  However, I was reading this one book which has changed my diet and excercise plan.  It's called "The Abs Diet" by David Zincenko, he is the editor in chief of men's health magazine.  He describes a lifestyle rather than a diet which is really easy to stick to.  He also tells why fad diets do not work at all.  As for excercise, I have lost the most weight when I did the interval training program on the eliptical machine for thirty minutes about 4-5 times a week.  I then did a vigourous weight workout, working with the circut training method.  This allows for more calories being burned, because your muscles need the calories.  Remember, the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns.  For each pound of muscle your body burns an additional 50 calories.

As for your carbohydrate problem, try and eat whole grains and beans, instead of the white stuff.  Stay away from white pasta, white rice and white bread all together, it has no good nutritional value.  Eat lots of lean proteins and lean fats.  Your muscles are proteins and they need more protein to build themselves.

After you slim down, try Pilates.  It is expensive but probablly the most rewarding work out you will have fun!  It has easily become my favorite work-out!

I hope this helps you, sorry for it being so long

Date Posted: May 18 2006 at 2:32am
Nope, no eggs.  Just a box of ordinary cake mix and a can of diet pop.  To find out the nutrition content of the cake you make, read on the side of the box where it tells nutrition facts for the cake mix itself.

-------------

Posted By: rubertnrubert
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 6:00pm
Exercise are very important for health. With it we can remain healthy and fit. Walking is the best exercise. Everyone should do walking everyday 30 to 45 minutes. And alos take part in sports activity. Go to gym to do exercise.

-------------

Posted By: weioqwea
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 11:07pm
Exercise is very essential for our health. It is the way to stay happy and healthy. It can improve body muscle. It is also good for reduce weight loss. 

-------------

Posted By: ryhangill
Date Posted: August 12 2011 at 1:37am
Exercise is very effective and beneficial for the health as well as for the fitness. Most of the people do regular exercise as to lead  healthy life. Here are some of the benefits of exercise like flexible body, healthy heart, good to reduce weight,  decreased blood pressure, increased bone strength, improved sense of well being, increased muscular strength, improved glucose regulation and many more.

-------------

Posted By: jeniferose1
Date Posted: August 12 2011 at 2:15am
Exercise is good for our body which makes us fit. Do regular exercise and yoga for weight loss. If you are doing regular exercise and yoga then you don`t have to compromise with your food.Food must have less oil and fat.

-------------

Posted By: shanwallan
Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 12:26pm
Exercise can aid protect you from heart disease and stroke, noninsulin-reliant diabetes, back pain and can get better your mood and aid you to superior manage stress.

-------------

Posted By: ronnywarn
Date Posted: August 24 2011 at 7:42am
Exercise is best natural way to maintain weight and free from many kind of health diseases. It is good for immune system and blood circulation process.

-------------

Posted By: jennyhomess
Date Posted: September 01 2011 at 1:48pm
Exercise is very important aspect of our life. It is very helpful to get your body in shape and keep you healthy. It is very necessary for every one to avoid over weight.

-------------

Posted By: aftonheaven
Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 12:13pm
Regular exercise is a key piece of keeping healthy. People who are lively live longer and experience better. Exercise can aid you maintain a healthy weight. It can stoppage or prevent diabetes, certain cancers and heart problems.

-------------

Posted By: aftonheaven
Date Posted: September 05 2011 at 12:18pm
Regular exercise is a key piece of keeping healthy. People who are lively live longer and experience better. Exercise can aid you maintain a healthy weight. It can stoppage or prevent diabetes, certain cancers and heart problems.

-------------

Posted By: EddieChatwin
Date Posted: September 06 2011 at 2:35pm
Exercise is physical exertion of the body - the body to a physical activity that leads to better health in good health or fitness level Exercise has a several benefit like it maintain the body and improves the resistant power from the diseases. 

-------------

Posted By: jacksonrobert
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 10:58am
I will say that exercise makes the person fit & strong.There are many other benefits too.I suggests that people should do exercise regularly.It is useful for your health.

-------------

Posted By: jamesajack
Date Posted: September 08 2011 at 12:18pm
Exercise is very necessary for body because it gives that energy to body and if exercise is regularly preform then it acts as a tonic for body and the result is marvelous  and hilarious. It is the best way to release stress and it is very beneficial for youngsters and old peoples also. Everyone has to exercise regularly.

-------------

Posted By: crystaljohan
Date Posted: October 03 2011 at 6:51am
Exercise is very essential for our health. It is the way to stay happy and healthy. It can improve body muscle. It is also good for reduce weight loss.It is very important thing to do it.

-------------

Posted By: ratcandy
Date Posted: October 04 2011 at 8:02am
I like swimming, I think this is a very good diet to help, but I am conscious of the light thanks to the swimming pool bathing and clothing the final only when swimming in the summer, I can go to sea.

-------------

Posted By: richarnrich
Date Posted: October 15 2011 at 6:15am
- Take part in sports activity.
- Go to gym to do exercise.
- Exercise are very important for health.
- With it we can remain healthy and fit.
- Walking is the best exercise.

-------------

Posted By: malinamartis
Date Posted: October 18 2011 at 1:23am
Walking is an very simple exercise which as such doesn’t demand fitness. Walking will definitely help you to boost your energy level and give you a healthy body and also beneficial in treating depression.

Posted By: justtinmethew
Date Posted: October 23 2011 at 10:10am
Exercise is good for he health as well as for the fitness of the body. Exercise is very much beneficial it lead to good posture, weight loss, healthy heart, improve in physical fitness, control blood pressure and many more.

-------------

Posted By: andrisscott
Date Posted: November 16 2011 at 8:10am
Exercise is essential for our health. It is a way to keep happy and healthy. It improves the body's muscles. It is important to reduce weight loss.It a good thing to do.

-------------

Posted By: rachealth
Date Posted: December 12 2011 at 4:20am

Now a days, fat, weight, cholesterol are the major problems found easily for all the ages. We should control these because other major diseases arises like HBP, LBP, diabetes, heart problems.....

Posted By: priustoyota
Date Posted: January 11 2012 at 11:47am
Well,after going through the above posts I would like to say that people should do exercise as it helps to keep the body maintain & fit.The person remains healthy & sharp.I suggests that people should do this thing regularly.

-------------

Posted By: juancruize
Date Posted: January 18 2012 at 5:17pm
Exercises is one of the best thing  for Every one to get a perfect Body. I would like to say that It is very useful to get out of Obesity and Many other Diseases,

-------------

Posted By: jamesjack
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 12:30pm
Movement of our body, which allows us to meet the good. Do regular exercise and yoga to lose weight. If you regularly exercise and yoga, then you do not compromise, you food.Food must have less oil and fat.

-------------

Posted By: eddiecrosby
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 12:46pm
Exercise is very important for health. With it, we can stay healthy and fit.Walking is the best exercise. Everyone has to walk every day from 30 to 45minutes. And also take part in sporting activities. Go to the gym to exercise.

-------------

Posted By: adomejorge
Date Posted: January 20 2012 at 4:38pm
Exercise is good for health. Regular exercise and yoga can make your body fit and strong. It can maintain your health and improve your muscles. It is important to reduce weight loss.

-------------

Posted By: senikacruize
Date Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:28am
Exercise are very important for health. With it we can remain healthy and fit. Walking is the best exercise. Everyone should do walking everyday 30 to 45 minutes. And alos take part in sports activity. Go to gym to do exercise. 

-------------

Posted By: ashley12
Date Posted: January 26 2012 at 4:33am
Here we go, studies have shown that eggs for breakfast can help control appetite later in the day. you  wouldn't do that every day, but breakfast should be filling every day the best example is http://www.spoke.com/people/doctor-pascual-4f1a4c3a3ae4b217d5004244 - miami hcg diet …… Eat fruits and veggies and skinless chicken, fish, and drink lots of water! Read labels, and start with 1500 calories a day. Good luckSmile

Posted By: samcrock
Date Posted: February 13 2012 at 11:38am
Walking is the best exercise in the world.Walk 5km once in day.As,it is much beneficial for the health & if it is possible then do cycling too.I hope you will take a positive decision for this.

-------------

Posted By: Charlesadler
Date Posted: March 05 2012 at 11:17am
Exercise is important to live a healthy and wealthy life. Exercise is best way to maintain our body and get a perfect body fitness. It is good way to reduce our weight and burn unnecessary fat. There are different types of exercise but mostly people prefer to normal exercise.

-------------

Posted By: john1212
Date Posted: March 17 2012 at 3:57am
Well, these was very useful information for me guys.....Thanks.

Posted By: Edric
Date Posted: April 12 2012 at 2:00pm
Exercise is really very good thing for the person to do. It is improve the health of the person. It is very nice way to increase the stamina of the person. It is very much important way to lose the weight of the person.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window