Print Page | Close Window

To Blow-Dry or Not to Blow Dry?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=38447
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 2:35pm

Topic: To Blow-Dry or Not to Blow Dry?
Posted By: Hellfrozeover
Subject: To Blow-Dry or Not to Blow Dry?
Date Posted: December 28 2005 at 5:40am
When I blow-dry even if it's very rarely, my hair I don't brush it with anything other than my hand and make sure that it doesn't get too hot and always use the cool setting for ages after. But when I leave it, I'm always playing with it, braiding it and scraping it off of my face. What is better for my hair's health? The gentle blowdrying  or the natural drying? Also what's better in winter in the case of slightly heated hair or hair that needs defrosted?

Replies:
Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: December 28 2005 at 7:45am
I've got the same problem, I don't want to go out with my hair wet since it's very cold here so I have to blowdry it sometimes. This winter I've only done it twice but i do feel guilty... I dont have an answer for your question but natural drying is always best, as for the defrosting part I don't know  

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: December 28 2005 at 6:53pm

Well natural is always best IMO.  I know you have really thick hair though, so maybe you could time your washes so that you have the maximum time period afterwards to allow it to dry naturally.  I've been washing my hair just before dinner time lately, and that way I have several hours for it to dry before bed time, and I don't have to put it up.

As for the frost thing, I don't live in a climate where snow exists, so I can't speak from personal experience there at all....however, I think there was a thread recently about winter haircare? Ppl were saying that going in the cold with wet hair is a bad idea because it freezes and can break. Yikes!

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: December 28 2005 at 7:01pm
I say do what makes you feel comfortable. Blowdrying once in awhile to not have wet hair is not like trying to blow dry your hair straight everyday.

If you are careful and keep the dryer moving you should be ok. I've heard some people say that they try to wait until the hair is somewhat dry and then they use the dryer. Or perhaps some extra squeezing could help. Just be careful not to wring the hair like a rag.

It's your hair. do what you can live with.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: December 28 2005 at 8:28pm
PurpleBubba!!! There you are!!  I was wondering where you had got to.  Hope you had a nice Christmas. How is your hair growing?

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Date Posted: December 28 2005 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

PurpleBubba!!! There you are!!  I was wondering where you had got to.  Hope you had a nice Christmas. How is your hair growing?

Christmas was good. I haven't officially measured in a few months but on the 21st I went to take a shower and saw in the mirror that I'm at or past tailbone now which is about 36"

Date Posted: December 29 2005 at 3:36am
Thanks for the help! Glad to see you back again, Purple Bubba and congrats on tailbone length!

-------------

Posted By: MrsMNK
Date Posted: December 29 2005 at 4:39am

Definatly stick to Naturally drying, you could leave ur hair in a braid & if ur going out you could wear a hat and tuck ur hair inside  ive noticed since i stopped Blow drying my hair which was nearly a year ago now, my hair feels so much healthier & less frizzy.

-------------
Type *~2A/2B~* waist length

Aim *butt length*

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: December 29 2005 at 11:15am
I don't know which is healthier for your hair-the thing is which makes you feel happiest? I don't blow dry my hair because I've never got in to the habit of it and I think it makes my hair look dull. That's the main reason, not because of concern for my hair. 

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: December 29 2005 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Hellfrozeover Hellfrozeover wrote:

Thanks for the help! Glad to see you back again, Purple Bubba and congrats on tailbone length!

Thanks HFO. By the way there is a town in Michigan called Hell and not only does it freeze over but snowballs have really good chances there. Of course if you were to use a blow dryer on them.........

Date Posted: December 30 2005 at 6:07am
Lol, I use a picture of the Hell signpost with icicles hanging from it on another forum.

-------------

Posted By: Alayney
Date Posted: January 03 2006 at 3:22am
If you "have" to blow dry, why not use a diffuser dryer? It's got to be better than the regular kind. I have a the "Vortex" dryer and the air comes out of the diffuser in all different directions -- I guess I'd describe it as a "swirling" action. Just a thought.

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 03 2006 at 3:31pm

Welcome back, PurpleBubba! I always think of you when I use a sleep tail.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: January 03 2006 at 4:02pm
Thanks Anais.
I'm still using mine often. :)

Print Page | Close Window