Print Page | Close Window

Are these good shampoos?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=38698
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 2:19pm

Topic: Are these good shampoos?
Posted By: millepetroza
Subject: Are these good shampoos?
Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 2:06pm

I recently went into a natural health store and found some shampoos. I am trying to grow my hair long as it is at a shaggy length right now.  They had a Biotin shampoo and conditioner by the brand Mill Creek.  They also had Jajoba Shampoo/conditioner and a Kerotine(sp?) shampoo/conditioner.  Which of these would work best for increased hair growth? right now i am using the Mane n' Tail shampoo and conditioner and ive only been on it for a little over a week so i havent been able to see any results just yet. what do you think?

-also one more Q: If i am using natural oils to massage on my head (jajoba,peppermint ect..) do I massage then shower and rinse off, or do i leave on for a long period of time?  any help would be APPRECIATED!!!!

thanks

mille

Replies:
Posted By: Alayney
Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 6:26pm

Shampoos do not truely help or cause hair to grow. Shampoos and conditioners would moisturize and help strengthen the hair so that it would be less prone to breakage and/or splits. You might want to choose a MOISTURIZING and PROTEIN conditioner. People say that too much protein can make the  hair brittle so you want to balance it out with the moisturizng conditioner. You can alternate them or mix them. (I mix.)

I just read an article on oiling the hair. It said to leave the oil on for 45 minutes and up to two hours if the hair is dryer. It also said leaving it on overnight would be even better. (Put a towel over your pillow.) For anyone who wants to know, to apply the oil you take sections of the hair and work the oil in that way rather than starting at the top with a dollop and trying to work it through.

P.S. Where do you get your oils?

Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 7:47pm

thanks for the reply. i get the oils at a place called steger's or something like that in Wisconsin.  I had one more question. I heard that if you apply the oils all by themselves onto your scalp that it is bad for the scalp, and that you are supposed to mix it with something, then apply...? If you are supposed to mix with something with the oils first,what EXACTLY do i need to get...or if that is a myth let me know hah

thanks

mille

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:56pm

Hi Mille,

Yes.

There are two major classes of natural oils: carrier oils (also known as base oils, vegetable oils) and essential oils which are extracted from herbs, plants, etc such as the Peppermint oil that you mentioned. Essential oils cannot be applied without dilution because most of them irritate the skin. It would also be extremely expensive to use them undiluted. They usually need to be diluted or "cut" in a carrier oil before used. I hope this makes sense

Faery blessings
Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:56am

thanks. im a newbie when it comes to this oil business.  What exactley do i need to do with the oil...my last questions

1) how do i dillute the oil

2) Should I apply the oil daily/weekly ect...

3) Which of these oils is the best hair/sculp stimulator: Rosemary, Jajoba, Peppermint

i asked these questions to the people working there but they didnt have much to say haha...thanks in advance

mille

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 05 2006 at 3:16pm

Hi Mille,

Different oils have different uses. Rosemary and Peppermint are essential oils, and Jojoba is a carrier oil. Both Rosemary and Peppermint are supposed to increase circulation at the scalp. I don't know how much difference it will make when they are only applied sparingly.

As for dilution, I think it's mostly personal preference. You could mix a few drops EO with a couple ounces carrier oil, or you could mix as you go (2 drops carrier, 1 drop EO, per use, for example) 

There are at least a couple ways to apply oil described in http://anaissatin.freespaces.com/oils.html - here . Oil can be applied weekly before a hairwash, every other day if you apply only a little bit, etc..... There a bazillion ways you can do it. It depends on your method (leave-in or pre-wash) and your amount. I like to apply 2 drops leave-in for the last two days before my hairwash.

Hope this helps
Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Print Page | Close Window