Print Page | Close Window

Your routines post-NewYear’s Resolutions?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=39065
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 2:30pm

Topic: Your routines post-NewYear’s Resolutions?
Posted By: AnaisSatin
Subject: Your routines post-NewYear’s Resolutions?
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 1:18pm

Hi Folks,

We have a lot of NEW stuff... NEW members NEW Year's resolutions NEW routines related to said resolutions.. so..

What are all your routines now, and how have they changed since NEW Year's?  And we're also curious about the routines of our new members who joined since our last "Routines" thread in October.

Mine hasn't changed very much  
I still wash every Sunday with a CCC (except no more Pure-A-Teas) (use Suave Citrus Smoothie, Kirkland Marine Algae, and Giovanni Direct Leave-in). Then I wet comb until damp-dry, sock curl, go to bed. Wake up the next morning, drag out the length with a Bubbatail and leave the ends crescent-curly. No heat, no chemicals, no blow drying, no brushes. I comb with wide tooth horn combs, an LML scritcher, 2 hardwoods, and a seamless.

What's changed are the habits related to hair. I drink more tea (lately, Rooibos). I decreased my hair-norexia by looking at the length as "wow, long!" rather than "I wish it was longER". however I  haven't figured out how to do Leia's Swirly Bun yet even though I resolved to do it. "There's a whole year ahead... there's a whole year ahead..." 

but overall, nothing's changed very much  How have you all been faring? Share your routines here whether or not you made resolutions?

Faery blessings
Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Replies:
Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: January 14 2006 at 11:08pm

Hi Anais   Well here goes....

I have recently started COing (again) and am not having a good time   Today however, I just used baking soda and ACV and got MUCH better hair.....so for now my routine is totally up in the air.  Either way though, it will be no more shampoo for me.  I think it was making me shed.  

I still don't use heat or any products.  Just air dry and use aloe vera gel.  And of course Henna...there's alway henna  

I have totally given away any sort of combing (haven't brushed in years) as my hair does not tangle at all (at this length) so I don't see the need for even finger combing. 

I upstyle every day into a french twist. 

I also take springtime horsetail and biotin now.....we will see what effect that has (if any) on growth. 

My growth has been good though, except my bottom layer has gone nuts and is leaving the rest of my hair behind.  I am NOT liking the look at all and am wondering what to do about it (don't want to cut, my ends are in great shape...they are just long and a little straight!) I am also growing out my fringe (again)

I do a deep treatment every week which is either cassia, amla or SMT (or henna if it's the third week).  And I oil from time to time when I feel like it (Jojoba or Macadamia nut oil).

Mum is making me a silk pillow case so that'll be good!

Trims are non-existant for me this year. My end of year photo should look REALLY interesting!!

So that's it...wow, seems like a lot.  But believe it or not, I feel like I'm simplifying things this way.

I can't wait to read everyone's routines!!

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 9:44am
I wash my hair about once a week with baby shampoo and supermarket own brand conditioner. I put it in a turbie then let it air dry loose or sometimes I braid it whilst still slightly damp to make it wavy. I comb about twice a day witha detangling comb. S&D miniatures every night. hair gets bunned or plaited usually for day to day wear.

Changes from before; started doing S&D and don't wear a ponytail anymore.

This year I'll discover how to hold a french twist up for more than five minutes.

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 11:59am

MissRini, I like the way your ends are looking - very fairytale!

As for my routine, mine is evolving based on everything I read here. Right now I am washing with very diluted Aveda shampure once or twice a week, and then conditioning with Aveda Pure Abundance, Lush Veganese, or Giovanni Direct Leave In. Every couple of weeks I rinse with ACV. I braid or bun most days and wear my new silk bonnet to bed. I am combing occasionally and brushing only when my scalp itches and I have detangled beforehand. I am also taking a multivitamin, MSM, calcium, and evening primrose oil. Oh, and I have stopped blow drying, straightening, and ripping through tangles with my comb.

The good news is that my new growth is very thick and healthy! The bad news is that about 2 inches of my ends really show the damage of being disrespected with a hair straightener all last year! Anyway, that's my routine for now!

-------------

Posted By: Katharine
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 9:00pm

My routine:

I either C-W/C-C or C-C-C every other day.  I should probably start trying to go longer than every other day but even getting this far from my old W-C everyday routine was a huge step for me.  My fine hair seems so limp/flat and has funky bumps by the third day, so I feel I have to "freshen" it. Also, I wear it down 99% of the time.  I'm sure I could go longer if I started wearing it up in between. 
I am a total shop-a-holic when it comes to shampoo and especially conditioner.  I do not use cones because they seem to suck all the life and body right out of my fine hair.  I keep the follwing ridiculous variety of shampoos and conditioners in my shower and just follow my intuition as to which ones  & in what combinations I feel is right at the time.
Conditioners: 
"EO Leave-In or Rinse Out French Lavender" (my current favorite), "EO Hair Repair Cond. w/ Vitamins & Mango Seed Butter", "EO Rich & Moisturizing for Dry/Treated Hair w/Rose & Chammomile", "Nature's Gate Herbal Cond.", "Nature's Gate Awaphui Cond.", "Nature's Gate Tea Tree Oil Cond.", "Avalon Organics Volumizing Cond. w/Rosemary", "Avalon Organics Lavender Nourishing Cond.", "Avalon Organics Biotion B-Complex Thickening Cond."
Shampoos:
"Lamas Soy Hydrating Shampoo", "Avalon Organics Awaphui & Mango Shampoo", "EO Gentle & Nourishing Shampoo w/Chamomile & Honey"

I think I have enough conditioners in my shower for everyone here to try some.  I keep the local health food store in business.

I comb with a wide tooth comb and air dry.  Since I've started growing out my bangs, I've taken to wearing a headband everyday to keep them back.  Every so often I will put in lots of braids when damp at night and wake up to big kinky hair which can be fun.  I wish I could find an easy way to add some curl and or waves without damage.  I'm not sure its long enough to sock curl yet.  I must learn how.

I also henna/indigo once a month.  I love the ritual and the color and thick shiny results I get.  (I've had to take three months off though since I'm pregnant with twins (!!) & I wanted to be extra safe the first trimester.)  I'm almost ready to henna again, Yay!

While I'm on a role, can I just mention my hair dilemma...
The top layer of my hair in back is really straight  and has the most damage, and under that it gets pretty wavy which can look kind of funny.  I will try to attach a picture at the bottom to illustrate, but am not sure how.  This can give the ends a funny, uneven look with the top layer looking like longer, stringy pieces hanging down over slightly shorter, wavy hair.  I'm not sure what can be done for this styling wise or trim wise. .. Does anyone else have this problem?
Still, I'm just happy that its finally starting to get what for me can be considered long!  I can't wait for bra strap length. 

My husband does tiny trims for me about every 6-8weeks to get off some old damage (but not too much length!)

You might see the part in the middle where the top layers are slightly off to the side and there is a wavy streak showing.  Its usually much worse, but for the pic., I had tried to spread that top layer evenly over but I guess I just missed that one spot. 

Thanks,
Katharine

-------------

http://home.comcast.net/~kdieterich/Katiesplace.html - Katies Place

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 4:00am

Hey Katharine.  Just want to say congratulations on your pregnancy!! I know how infertility is (took me and my husband 5 years to conceive our first child!) so I can imagine just how special this pregnancy is for you.  And TWINS!! Wow!  Good luck   Your daughter Reo is absolutely gorgeous btw

As for your canopy (that section of hair you are talking about), I have a similar thing. My top layer is alot straighter than underneath. It makes my hair look wavy, but the underneath layers have ringlets. The best thing you can do is moisturise and take extra special care of this area.  It makes sense that it gets the damage as it is exposed to the elements the most and protects the underneath layers.  I would suggest to keep up your regular trims as you are doing and eventually this layer will improve in health as it disappears with growth and trimming.

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 9:13am

I haven't changed much in my routine.  In the back of my mind I thought I remembered that eating gelatin helped hair....so I started making no-bake cheesecakes full of gelatin (as Anais suggests, eat cheesecake!).  Can't say they're making my hair grow faster, but what a nice way to pass the time!

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: tdouty
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 9:40am
Our routine for Jennifer's hair hasn't changed much either.  We're now almost exclusively COing and we wash her hair about every 3 days.  I give her head a good massage and scritch with my hands every two days or so to fight off flakes.  This seems to help her itchy head and we don't see flakes much anymore.  We're also using T/Gel conditioner most times when we wash her hair.  Also, we recently resurrected a failing 16 year old hottub that a friend sold to us real cheap so Jennifer's hair gets a good bromine treatment about every 2 days LOL.  (I know, put it up right?  Not a chance ... we rather enjoy it floating about in the water taking on life of it's own :-).)  To counteract that, we gave her a conditioning treatment the other night after the hottub and left the cheap coconut conditioner on her hair all night and washed it out in the morning before church with more conditioner.  Her hair felt incredibly soft so maybe we'll do this more often this year.   Oh yeah, I'm trying to get back on my exercise routine (20 minutes every 2-3 days) that I quit for the last 6 months after being very faithful to it for the last 2-3 years. 

-------------

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 2:15pm
hair-norexia.    No reason you should suffer this condition, AnaisSatin.  "wow, long!" is certainly how I see your hair.

Katharine, your hair looks great!

I shampoo once per week, using diluted shampoo (about 1/2 ounce of shampoo mixed with about 5 ounces of warm water), condition, rinse, then diluted vinegar rinse (a must to combat limestony-Florida water), comb, air dry on its own, braid for daily wear, tie off the ends with goody ouchless elastics.  No changes there.

Dietary supplements, recently changed the formulation of silica:

1 generic daily multi vit/min
1 Vitamin Discount Center "Hair, Skin & Nails"
1 Vitamin Discount Center Saw Palmetto 160 mg
1 Vitamin Discount Center 1000 mg MSM
1 Solaray Horsetail Shavegrass 440 mg
1 GNC Green Tea Extract 315 mg
1 GNC Biotin 600 mcg
2 zinc tablets 50 mg

I've recently increased the intensity of my exercise routine and increased my intake of protein.  I don't know if my hair is better as a result, but I'm no longer quite so scarecrow-ish.

-------------

Posted By: Vicky
Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 5:52am
No major changes here either. I have stopped brushing or combing (with a comb) my hair all together and Im only fingercombing. 

My daily vitamin intake is b50 and Apiforce which I mostly take for my skin.

b50;
b1 50 mg
b2 50 mg
b6 50 mg
b 12 50 mg
Biotin 50 ug
And a few morw which I don't know the english names for.

Apiforce:
Soy oil
Gelatin
Gele Royale
Veg. fat
Sicila gel
Beeswax
Soy Lecithin

I have however made one major chance, I have started swimming, alot! I don't want to shampoo my hair everytime I have been swimming. But at the same time Im afraid that if I don't the chlorine will damage it. Do you have any sugestions?

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 9:39am
First of all, soak your hair thoroughly with water before you go in to the pool so it won't absorb as much chlorine laden water. Some people say you should wear a swimming cap and put a deep treatment on so your hair can enjoy itself whilst you swim A swimming cap is probably a good idea if you don't mind wearing one.

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 11:28am
A swimming cap is out of the question, I remember when I was young and in swimming school and I was made to wear one and i still remember the pain of taking it off.
But I will make sure to soak my hair before going in. Thanks for the tip 

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 12:45pm

Hi Dave! Thanks for the hair compliment It's good to see you on board.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 5:54pm
Thanks Anais!  It's been sorta rough the past few weeks.  Anyway, it's good to be back and participating again.

Vicky, how about first oiling your hair, then braiding it, and then getting it wet with tap water (shower)?  The combination works great for me.  Follow up the swimming with a de-chelating shampoo to get rid of the chlorine (and of course your fave conditioner).

-------------

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 6:42pm

Rini: I have the same problem.Parts of my hair seem to be  growing faster than others leaving me with those wispy ends.Yours look like fairy tale ends like specialkitty said.I havent been so lucky.Mine looks choppy.I'm considering evening it out,but still not sure.

My routines are:

Acv-CO, No heat(air dry and style).

Resolutions:Still sticking with the no dye rule.And i have been wearing wigs if I want a color change.Plus with the wigs it keeps me from being tempted to change my real hair.

Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 5:18am
Thanks Dave, I'll try that. Which oil do you use, if you don't mind charing? 

Posted By: MsSerenity
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 6:17am
My routine has changed little. I wash my hair twice a week (Wednesdays and Sundays), using gentle shampoo and a heavy conditioner. I usually oil my hair at least once a week and use leave in conditioner to battle the dryness. I actually just switched from dying my hair to using henna. The henna really made my hair shiny, but it's still dry very often, so I'm thinking it's because it's winter time.

I take a MSM tablet, a Vitamin E soft gel tablet and a Calcium pill a day. if I take them dailly, I literally increase my growth by 50%. Amazing what little changes can do to help you out. :)

-------------
As fate would have it, my business is all about you.

Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:08pm
Hi Vicky,

I rarely swim.  You could use any vegetable oil (olive), or jojoba.  Don't need to use a whole lot, either -- but more than you would use if you weren't going swimming.

These days, the only oil I apply is jojoba with a few essentials mixed in.  Smells heavenly.  There are many choices, so it depends on what scents you like.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window