Print Page | Close Window

why do You want long hair so bad?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=39091
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 12:55pm

Topic: why do You want long hair so bad?
Posted By: gunnie71
Subject: why do You want long hair so bad?
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 11:11am

I'm curious....

Bye the way Happy New Year 2006 everyone! ;)

I know for myself growing up I loved long hair because I wanted to have that "classic" all american beauty. Plus my boyfriends liked it.

However over the years I've literally forced myself to go shorter,even if that initialy makes me really uncomfotable.

Now(in 2006) I'm on the verge of getting married(Feb 18th). And I'm torn at times to go shorter, and add more dimension with color. But also I love my healthy growing hair,...so maybe I allow it to grow at least to my shoulders, and maintain it, along with slight layers, Hmm.... Still thinking about it all. 

Take care,and God Bless!

-------------
Katie ;)

Replies:
Posted By: Sugarloaf
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 11:21am

Because I just found my feminine side!

For a change.

Because it is easier to manage than short layers that stick out in all directions.

Because long glowing hair is a sign of a healthy lifestyle.

Because the clothes I want to wear look better with long hair.

Because it makes me look younger and slimmer!

Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 11:41am

Hi Sugarloaf!

I agree with you alot.

However I've gotten alot of compliments on my shorter styles, at times.

But I remember alot more compliments with longer hair.

Currently, my hair is hovering about 3 inches from my shoulders. It's so easy to manage, and style.

I look feminine, and younger, most people say 28 to 33, and I'm 35yr.s! I'll take all the compliments I can get! LOL!

I realize I need to use an emolusion of grapeseed oil (carrier oil) along with drops of Lavendar essential oil, to de-stress my tresses(like I did about 5 years ago.

Plus I read that caffiene and soda hinders hair groth.

I get enough sleep, eat a healthy balanced diet, although I'm stepping up on protein,which helps hair growth and health. Don't forget excersice. I've always been a fast walker, plus, I love to dance alot!

Swimming, Biking, Hiking, occasionally(especially in the summer)

I can't wait to go on my Honeymoon (Feb 22nd 2006) for 7 days. Loads of fun!

Take it easy, and God Bless You!

-------------
Katie ;)

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 12:00pm

Because it feels so wonderful swishing around
Because I've never felt better about myself
ETA Because it really does feel feminine
Because I want the longest hair in my cultural community.
Because I made a bet to grow it freakishly long.
Because I'm winning this bet

heehee.. Great thread, Gunnie

and CONGRATULATIONS!

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 12:16pm

Hi there AnaisSatin,

I totally agree with Your reasons. Ofcourse we are all intitaled to our reasons for doing what we truly want with our hair!

I'm just so grateful, that I'm not a young kid, when my Mom would suggest I get a short curly hair do, which made me look a bit like Annie, LOL, My hair is more Auburn naturaly Red. But I do remember within a year my longerShoulder length hair looked sexy with waves(for being 12 years old, LOL!

My youngest sister Judy has had mostly Long Hair, she also has natural wave curl, and she is so beautiful. I kinda wish I had longer hair, like NOW, LOL. That way I'd get a Body wave, I Love wavy hair alot!

My hair is straight, but has enough body to hold a curl, especially my updo, for my wedding!

See Ya, God Bless.

P.S. I sincerly want the best for all people, that's why I say God Bless. I'm a Christian, not perfect, just a believer in Jesus, and I'm Proud of it!

-------------
Katie ;)

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 1:19pm
Because I don't want short hair.

Because I still have hair

Because it still grows longer

Because I have reached goal lengths and passed them

Because I am not into trends or what society says a male should look like.

Because I'm not cutting it shorter than 30 inches.

Because it would be nice to still have 30+ inch hair when it does start turning grey so I can then have that color too.

Because I felt like it.

Because it's mine.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: prettybaby
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 3:26pm
Because it's fun to shake around when I'm dancing!
Because I'm a girly girl and long hair is more feminine.
Because it's fun to be able to do "styles".
Because it's soooo nice to have your hair draped all around you when it's cold.
Because I just love it.

-------------
[IMG]http://www.sherimoonzombie.net/site/media/gifs/sherimoonzombie-babysmile.gif" />

CURRENT HAIR: blonde =) straight, under a tiara!

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 4:05pm
Because I started off with long hair and have never even contemplated cutting it. Because it looks gorgeous, it feels nice and I can tie it and bun it so it's out of my face which you can't do without long hair unless you have a buzz cut. Because I like it. 

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 6:45pm

Because of all the reasons stated above, and also:

I like the warmth on my neck and shoulders. I like combing it and taking care of it. Taking care of my hair is an extension of taking care of myself. Also, I think it looks better on me than short hair.

-------------

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 7:49pm

I answered this question on another forum...so for pure laziness I am just going to copy and paste

As for me, I can't recall when my hair was longer than BSL. I know it was once longer because I have seen pics of myself when I was a little girl, however I can't actually remember it like that.

So my reasons:

- I want to "feel" long hair on myself. Just want to experience that before I die.
- I want to be natural and "real". I don't want to follow hair fads anymore and spend time styling it and buying styling products. I just can't be bothered, and I don't want to look like someone else.
- I have stopped dying my hair with chemicals and it's made such a difference to my hair's condition. I know now that I CAN grow it long and that it will get there this time.
- I just love how it feels now and I want more of it!
- I believe that I will look better with long hair. After all that growing...what a bummer it will be if I don't!!!! hehehe
- long hair is better for belly dancing....have never seen a short haired belly dancer!

So there ya go

And Katie...God bless you too

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: Katharine
Date Posted: January 15 2006 at 9:16pm

Because long hair is pretty and it makes me feel pretty.
Because it feels so soft and silky.
Because it seems special.  It requires thought, care, and attention.
Because I feel so strong and smart knowing how to do it myself and doing what I want instead of wasting money following the advice of "experts" in salons where they always cut my hair too short and damaged it.
Because my Mom always made me have super short pixie's when I was a kid and I wanted long pretty hair more than anything.
Because it's romantic and sexy.
Because mixing up my henna & indigo is fun.  It feels like mixing up a magic potion for making my hair shiny and pretty and helping it get longer.
Because its heavenly.

-------------

http://home.comcast.net/~kdieterich/Katiesplace.html - Katies Place

Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 12:32am

I just thought of some stuff...

because it makes me feel old-fashioned and traditional
because now I'm so aware of all the ingredients in my bath products
because I don't have to buy lotion, serums, nor any kind of skin creams anymore, thanks to all the homemade jojoba and shea creams for hair, that double for fabulous skin.
because I owe it to myself !  
because it's cheap
because I can do my part to save Earth by washing my hair less
because its care is so meditative

because I like the ritual of long, detailed, unfrequent hairwashing on Sunday nights, and I am going to log off and wash my hair now!  Woohoo

Anais

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 10:10am
Have fun, Anais! Great reasons to have long hair - I hope to have long hair soon....or in a few years anyway

-------------

Posted By: duke
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 11:22am

I am male, 26, with hair simply described as a one-length past-the-chin bob. My reasons for having this somewhat long hair are, in descending order of importance:

1. it does not draw attention to my thin face like when I had short hair. That is the key reason. I like how it looks now, I hated how it looked in the days i had a short back and sides.

2. It is a length that I can easily cut myself at home. I don't like the whole barber/hairstylist experience.

Posted By: Sasumi
Date Posted: January 16 2006 at 9:22pm
Mostly because I've never had long hair before, and a lot of people I know say I'd look pretty with it.

Annnddd, there's lots of plus sides to it. More stuff to do with your hair, and I can cosplay people with long hair without using extentions or anything. (cosplay is like costume-play... something people do for anime conventions. It's like dressing up as your favorite character from a japanese animation or comic.)

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 2:37am

Hi,

I enjoy reading all of Your reasons for wanting long hair.

I'm a wannabe long haired beauty. I'm still pretty, even though my hair is growing out from a bob style.

Thanks for all your inpiration

Take care, God Bless!

-------------
Katie ;)

Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 12:47pm

Sasumi, thanks for the interesting tidbit about "cosplay"  This is the first time I've ever heard that term used.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's reasons!

Anais 

-------------

Posted By: blueorca84
Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 3:06pm

I miss long hair
I miss being able to put it in a different style everyday
I miss being able to wake up every morning without having to put lots of hair product in it to keep it flat-ish

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: January 17 2006 at 4:49pm

What a great thread.I guess I hadnt thought of it before.

But my reasons for wanting long hair are:

I love the way it feels on my bare back.  Its easier to take care of than my short hair.It feels more glamorous than my short hair .        Long hair is more fun to me,where short hair feels more serious on me. I want my husband to be able to brush it at night.(which he could do now,but it just doesnt seem as romantic with short hair,lol).    I want to be able to wear all the beautiful braids and updos I see.       It enhances my natural beauty.So I dont have to fake it anymore,cause there's nothing like the real thing.

And i agree,Its fun to swing it around.It doesnt quite have the same effect with short hair.

Posted By: Claire Abella
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 2:48am

Hello All Beautiful People.

I stumbled accross this forum from another site and found it strange that 1. The date is only yesterday and so many people are talking about growing long hair. It must be the new year-new start-feeling in the air. I have a few reasons why I want long hair. One significant is because like the chick I don't know above me is a Christian, I am too, and years ago I read the story about Samson and his long hair. And how God had given him tremendous strength from his hair. Not that I want to be like a boy and be strong, but because long hair then symbolised dedication, strength, devotion, holiness and beauty-which all reflect our beautiful Creator. Such beautiful things do not seem to be ebraced as much these days as so much has changed, but I think long hair also reflects personality-That you are willing to hold out for something that is truely worth it!!

I've justed turned 18 and I was hoping to have long back lenght hair when I'm 22. Hair will grow about 72 centimetres in that time!! So to all those people wanting it to-STICK IT OUT! And DO be careful of hairdresser's! I'm sure a lot of yous can recipriate of times when they've gone to them wanting just a trim and come out with a new hairstyle and all your hair length gone!! Make sure they aren't getting you for their business and if they say they DO want to cut it off-RUN OUT QUICKLY!!

Ok final thing..Just wanted to recommend some things I've found great to help your hair grow and make it look gorge as it grows. Believe it or not Berocca is one of the best things you can take for your hair-it contains a whole bunch of Vit-B group vits and Biotin as well. Another product a little more expensive is Hair Assist-if you're finding you are losing hair as your growing it: Rosemary, Ginko, Nettle, Sage, Grape Seed, Saw Palmetto, Cayenne<< All those hair loving naturals!

Good Luck Everyone..

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 3:25am
Welcome Claire...another Aussie!!! Yay

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 3:53am

Yes! Welcome to All, Including Aussie's!

I hear Aussie's are nice, people, beautiful place Austrailia, also great mental Health care.

I should know, I'm BiPolar(AKA- Manic Depression) and sucessfully on Meds. However I'm in the USA. Yes, us Americans are blessed, but we have problems with Health care coverage. For example, I almost didn't get my meds (for this month) covered, due to Federal Red Tape!

I would have needed over 300 dollars, Thank God, I only had to pay 5 bucks!

Take care, and may God Bless!

-------------
Katie ;)

Posted By: MsSerenity
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 6:43am
I want long(er) hair because the longer it gets, the sexier I feel. Plus, anything good is worth waiting for. 

-------------
As fate would have it, my business is all about you.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:21am
Ever since I was a little kid, whenever I saw a woman with very long hair I'd go "oooooh its so neat!".  Must be some kind of instinct I was born with, as no one in my family had long hair for me to get used to.  I only can't believe I waited this long to try it (my 30s).

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:12pm
Hello and welcome, Claire Abella!

I like your philosophical outlook on the topic.   And thanks for sharing with us your pretty pic.

Ms Serenity, how's your beautiful long red hair doing these days?

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 9:50pm
 It's waist length! I'm so excited. I need to find really good scissors, so I can do a good S&D. Switching to henna has made it less dry, but sadly, not all the dryness has gone. And that patch in the back is slowly catching up. :)

I've missed you.

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 11:52pm

Claire and MsSerenity, nice to meet you both

Anais

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 11:55pm
Hi Anais! I've been reading your journal, so I know what to expect when my hair reaches those lengths.

-------------

Posted By: always_alone
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 10:05am
Because I get tired of styling my hair and want a wash and go style.

Because I have hair that does what it wants (but is only slightly wavy).

Because with short hair (which was so easy to take care of), I got mistaken for a guy all the time!

Because I love the wind in my hair and not worrying about if my hairstyle will get messy.

Because I want to be more feminine.

Because I think it will look better to hair long hair.

BTW...I only have shoulder length...but I want to get to bra strap length.

-------------
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist

Posted By: redhairedgirl
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 12:18pm

Because I have tried short hair and I hate it

Because I am a girly girl and want to feel more feminine

Because I am a natural redhead and proud of it so I want to show it off

Because it is so much easier to look after

Because I save a fortune on haircuts

Because I model and long hair gets me more work

Because I love the feel of long hair down my back

Because it keeps me warmer than short hair

-------------

Posted By: enfys
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 3:36pm

Because I want to be different

Because I'm now old enough for people to be genuinely interested in it.  With males it's especially fun when they notice it and start speaking to be.

Because I always wanted to be Princess Leia, and never gave up on that.

Because I also wanted to be a fairy and hair is easier to grow than wings (but no fairy ever had Han Solo...)

Because it's swishy

Because I can tickle people with it...

Because it's fun to care for.  I find it relaxing to oil and condition an brush etc.

Because I did it all by myself.  Aren't I clever?

Because it's a hell of a lot easier to paint long hair than short hair when you do portraits.

Because bad hair days are easier to hide - one clip and the birds nest is gone

Need I continue?  Things like this topic help me realise why I love my hair so much, and why other people must feel they are missing out. 

Happy growing everyone

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea - http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 7:23pm

My other reasons have already been said, so I'll just say this:

Because it's who I am.

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Posted By: want2kno
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 9:39pm

Because I feel that long hair makes me feel like a woman, it is sassy, classy, you can thow it behind you ear when flirting LOL, you can sling it around when dancing

Posted By: dancingbarefoot
Date Posted: January 30 2006 at 12:00am
Mostly because I look horrendous with short hair, and short hair is too high-
maintenance.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:24am
Wow, DancingBarefoot, your hair is gorgeous!!

-------------

Posted By: Sugaree
Date Posted: January 30 2006 at 12:51pm
Yes, I second that, your hair looks as long as Dave's! (and that's pretty
impressive)

-------------
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist

Date Posted: January 30 2006 at 3:45pm
Pretty! Oooh, me want it...

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: January 30 2006 at 5:55pm
Thank you!

Not nearly as long as Dave's, though! Mine is only knee-length, not brushing
ankles like his. Plus, I'm a LOT shorter than Dave, I'm sure.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:17pm
Wow DBF! Saaay, it looks like you went for that herbal dye recently too..?

-------------

Posted By: Lyrical
Date Posted: January 31 2006 at 1:57am

I'm growing my hair long because...

#1 - I like it!

I never have wanted to look like everyone else with the "in" style of the moment, I like to be different.

Lyrical

Date Posted: January 31 2006 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Wow DBF! Saaay, it looks like you went for that
herbal dye recently too..?

Yep, I sure did. I put Herbatint on the sun-damaged part. Got tired of the
stark contrast. I couldn't be happier with the results!

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2006 at 2:11pm
Knee Length...also very impressive. DBF, did you get your name from
"dancing bare foot" at outdoor music festivals? Because that's kind of the
impression I got from the name. I too attend these festivals. Sometimes, I
end up bare foot, lol. (hey, where did my shoes go??) Just wondering!

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2006 at 3:01pm
Back to the topic at hand...

Another reason I opt for long hair is for the styles. I love the way I look
with my hair up, but if my hair is too short and the bun (or whatever) is
too small, I feel like a sumo wrestler, I dunno. Some girls look cute with a
little mini-tale, but not me. I want loads of hair to pile atop my head.
Also, for long double braids so I can hold on to the ends and dance
around with them. Then I would take those braids and do "Princess Liea"
cinnabuns. There are so many possibilities...

-------------

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: February 02 2006 at 7:01pm

I like long hair because: ALL of the reasons above plus! I have never cut my hair and my mom has really long hair (knee length) and my sisters have long hair, too. I know lots of girls that have below the waist hair and all of us love it!

In the Bible it says that a woman's hair is her glory, so why would you want to cut your glory off???!! Plus, alot of guys I know love it (My hair is a little below my hips---I even have had some guys walk up to me in stores and such and compliment me on it---women, too, of course---but it's really neat when a guy notices it!) Anyways, (in case you haven't noticed!) I love long hair!

Date Posted: February 02 2006 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Sugaree Sugaree wrote:

DBF, did you get your name from
"dancing bare foot" at outdoor music festivals? Because that's kind of the
impression I got from the name.

Not exactly. Where I'm from there aren't a lot of outdoor music festivals (or
indoor ones, for that matter), but I do like dancing barefoot (sadly, usually
all by my lonesome at home). I also love the U2 song "Dancing
Barefoot" (which is a cover of a Patti Smith song, actually), so it just seemed
like a good fit.

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:33am
DBF, ahhhhhh gotcha. That's cool! Last night I went to go see an all-girl
Led Zeppelin cover band (they totally rocked,btw) During Black Dog I felt
the urge to let my hair down and start headbanging. I think I was
whipping people with my hair, but that's okay. It's good it wasn't longer
though, because somebody might have lost an eye or something.

-------------

Posted By: katay
Date Posted: February 03 2006 at 9:09am

Hi all,

I'm curious, So literally what happens to you when your hair grows long to your goal?

Do you enter into a long hair contest and win lots of money?

Or do you simply feel like you climbed mount everest? Seriously, I'm curious.

I'll tell You all, Back in the day, I wanted my hair to grow long so badly first to look more like my identical twin sister Barb, and also to appease my narrow minded boyfriends, who didn't love me unconditionally.

Now at age 35 I love myself with a long bob style. The longest I want, is to my shoulders. I can take the heat, I've got big shoulders, if you will.

My fiance' Steve met me with shoulder length hair, then I put fushia pink streaks in it, then I slowly cut it to a short Bob, now it's longer. Steve tells me He Loves me now matter what my hair looks like, but he said he loves my hair now.

So what's the lesson, simply be who you are,

regardless of what others think(including myself)

-------------
God Bless,...
Katie

Date Posted: February 03 2006 at 11:43am
when most people reach their goal, they seem to go yay! And then change their goal...

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: February 03 2006 at 2:32pm
Nothing happens to you when you reach your goal, other than a feeling of
"yay, I reached the goal I set for myself." That's it, really. Many people
growing long hair have no goal at all (other than perhaps "let's see how this
goes!").

The important thing to me is to do what's right for yourself for your own
reasons. If that's long hair, fine. If it's short hair, fine. For me, short hair
doesn't work at all, despite people who have tried to convince me otherwise
(telling me I'm too old for long hair, it's "styleless", or whatnot). Short hair
looks truly awful on me. I have no intention of letting naysayers dictate my
hairstyle. I would be doing it for them, and not for myself.

-------------

Posted By: Sunsailing
Date Posted: February 04 2006 at 4:44pm

DBF, I would've never recognized you with that dark hair! It still looks fantastic, but it sure is different for you.

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2006 at 7:04pm
Let me tell you, it FEELS different, too! I'm really liking it, though.

Your hair is looking fabulous as always, Sunsailing!

-------------

Date Posted: February 05 2006 at 4:59pm
Horselover, UPC by chance?  Glad to hear you're so upbeat on your hair. 

DBF, the haircolor looks terrific!

Sunsailing, your hair has reached waist-length - congratulations!

-------------

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:56pm

Hey, Dave, if you're interested, on the introductions page, I have posted a few pictures....this is if you don't see them first! horselover

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Posted By: iibangduckiez
Date Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:53pm

Because I most DEF. look better with long hair.  And when my hair is long and curly, and down to my boobs...I look delicious! xP And I love making people hate me!

JK!

But like...I'm young...and when you reach a certain age...long hair looks stupid on a lot of people...Like it looks like you're trying to look young, and it ages you...So I figure this is the age to have my hair as long as I want...I'll chop it off when I get older.

I have so many cuts in my mind! xD

Date Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:58pm
I appreciate your reasons for having long hair, iibangduckiez, but I respectfully disagree with what you said about long hair "aging" people who are older....I think it really can't be generalized in that way - it depends on the person and circu.mstances.  (this site won't let me spell this word correctly!)

-------------

Posted By: Tyranna
Date Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:41pm
Quote But like...I'm young...and when you reach a certain age...long hair looks stupid on a lot of people...Like it looks like you're trying to look young, and it ages you...So I figure this is the age to have my hair as long as I want...I'll chop it off when I get older

Thing is, when women believe these kinds of things, they age themselves not by the particular longer hair style they are wearing, but by conforming to  preconceived notion of what one thinks that they should look like at some arbitrary age. 

Example, a woman could look fairly young with a long hair style at, say 38 or 39.  Once 40 rolls around, she cuts it because she was taught to think that at a certain age, that is what she MUST do.  The new cut then can become aging because it is identifiable with the more "matronly" age set so to speak.

-------------

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front

Date Posted: February 14 2006 at 10:29pm

Well, I never said a specific age...I said a certain age...It's different for everybody...But...After you reach a certain...point...long hair just doesn't look flattering...It DOES make you look older, maybe not in the sense that it makes you look like you're trying to look younger--but it just makes you look older...Short hair makes older (at least older-looking) women look younger and more sophisticated.

Cause...no matter how good you look for you're age...after you reach a "point" you can feel young, but having that "20 year old look" just isn't an option...you know...I'm sure you're gonna want to look as sexy as always, but with a little more sophistication...

Kinda how many kids have mushroom haircuts, or bangs when they're little, and then you get older...and it just doesn't work...

Date Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:26pm

I just don't agree with you, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by iibangduckiez iibangduckiez wrote:

Well, I never said a specific age...I said a
certain age...It's different for everybody...But...After you reach a
certain...point...long hair just doesn't look flattering...

I see just the opposite. Most "old lady" cuts are horribly unflattering,
IMHO. I can't think of anyone that the Golden Girls poodle 'do or soccer
mom flip (aka 'helmet hair') looks truly good on. And if you think about it,
if society says "Past the age of X you should have only short hairstyles,"
then if you see someone with a short hairstyle, you're much more inclined
to think they fall above that age.

It DOES make you look older, maybe not in the
sense that it makes you look like you're trying to look younger--but it
just makes you look older...

I guess that must be why I still get carded all the time? I look so old they
think I'm a minor?

Actually, one or two women have told me that I have to "act my age" by
cutting my hair, even saying that I make THEM look old because with long
hair, I look younger than them. Frankly, that's their problem, not mine.
Age has absolutely no correlation with hair (other than going gray, of
course). I look bad with short hair and I'm not going to cut my hair to
make others feel more secure about themselves.

hort hair makes older (at least older-looking)
women look younger and more sophisticated.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I really just don't see that.
I don't think any hair length is more sophisticated than any other. Can
you describe HOW, exactly, short hair is more sophisticated?

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:17am

Originally posted by dancingbarefoot dancingbarefoot wrote:

I see just the opposite. Most "old lady" cuts are horribly unflattering,
IMHO. I can't think of anyone that the Golden Girls poodle 'do or soccer
mom flip (aka 'helmet hair') looks truly good on. And if you think about it,
if society says "Past the age of X you should have only short hairstyles,"
then if you see someone with a short hairstyle, you're much more inclined
to think they fall above that age. 

Well...I just keep getting words in my mouth cause I never said an "old lady" cut...Short doesn't necessarily mean "old lady"...Psh!...Many "old ladies" have long gray hair in braids.
Society also thinks that just because you have long hair...you look younger and sexier...and that's not always the case.

I guess that must be why I still get carded all the time? I look so old they
think I'm a minor?

Actually, one or two women have told me that I have to "act my age" by
cutting my hair, even saying that I make THEM look old because with long
hair, I look younger than them. Frankly, that's their problem, not mine.
Age has absolutely no correlation with hair (other than going gray, of
course). I look bad with short hair and I'm not going to cut my hair to
make others feel more secure about themselves.

Well...I don't know how you look so I can't say anything about how old you look...Maybe long hair flatters you really well.  For all I know you can be pushing 50, and looking 20.  And you know, I understand the security of having long hair...I love having my hair long, too.  But hair does have a lot to do with the age you look, and how presentful you look, and we all get age...You can't stop that.  I bet a lot of your friends wouldn't be able to pull off long hair the way you do.

We are gonna have to agree to disagree though.

But for example...take a woman like...Joan Rivers...Picture her with long blonde hair...Does that picture work? 

Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:45am

Lemme just show you what I'm trying to say...cause a lot of people are just...completely not getting me.

^ This is lady.  Lady look good with long hair.

About 50 years later...lady cut hair long time ago...but then--doon doon doon...Lady lets hair grow.

Lady look like "AAAAH!" even though the peac*ck thing on her head adds to the "AAAAH!"...any other "long style" woulda been just as..."AAH!"

A few years later...Lady cuts hair...

Horrid facial expression...nonetheless lady is pushing 70-something...Personally, I think she looks younger ^.

I'm talking about cases like these...We're all gonna get like ^ one day...unless we die...And some people get like that faster than others. When you get like that...that you are obviously "older"...and you just can't hide it anymore...long hair look...eesh.

Posted By: Hellfrozeover
Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:18pm
Lady got surgery and looks like she's a different race to what she started as. Doesn't look her age but not neccesarily her ethnicity either.

-------------

Posted By: Tyranna
Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:55pm

Quote About 50 years later...lady cut hair long time ago...but then--doon doon doon...Lady lets hair grow

I can't see the evil after shot.

Regardless, I'll see your lady and raise you a Sharon Stone.  Granted, Sharon isn't the greatest example because she uses extensions and rarely takes a bad photo, but here is a 2004 Before and a 2005 after.  She just looks younger with the softer, longer hair.

Before:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/2522/Events/2522/SharonSton_Cohen_3098616_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Stone,%20Sharon%20I - http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/2522/Events/2522/SharonS ton_Cohen_3098616_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Stone,% 20Sharon%20(I )

After:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/3722/Events/3722/SharonSton_Grani_6228791_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Stone,%20Sharon%20I - http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/3722/Events/3722/SharonS ton_Grani_6228791_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Stone,% 20Sharon%20(I )

-------------

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front

Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 6:53pm

Originally posted by Hellfrozeover Hellfrozeover wrote:

Lady got surgery and looks like she's a different race to what she started as. Doesn't look her age but not neccesarily her ethnicity either.

LOOL! What does that have to do with anything??
LOL! She's Mexican...so she doesn't really have a "race"...She didn't look her ethnicity to begin with. o.^

Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 7:05pm

Sharon actually looks pretty good in both...But that is one of the only times I've seen her look passable with long hair.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 9:19pm
It's not that we're not "getting" you, it's that we don't agree. There's a big
difference.

You're saying there's an objective standard that short hair makes one look
younger and more sophisticated. We're saying (or at least I am) that there
is no such standard. Saying that short hair is categorically more
sophisticated than long hair makes about as much sense as saying that
brown eyes are more sophisticated than green eyes. Absolutely no basis
for either claim, IMHO.

Horrid facial expression...nonetheless lady is
pushing 70-something...Personally, I think she looks younger ^.

She definitely looks older in the third picture to me. Hair or no, there's no
way not to notice the wrinkles and sagging skin around her neck.

(Although, only the first picture has long hair. That tragic 80s hairstyle is
definitely unflattering, but not long. It barely reaches her shoulders.)

However, opinions on her age aside, I think we have fundamentally
different views about the purpose of long hair. Judging from your posts,
you think it must be a tool for hiding age or whatnot, whereas I just like
having long hair. I'm not trying to hide behind it or look different from my
actual age. If it made me look 150 years old, I'd still have long hair,
because *I* like it. If it made me look 8 years old, I'd still have it. Again,
because *I* like it, and I couldn't care less what others think about it. Life
is too short to spend all your time making other people happy.

[Edited to fix typos)

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2006 at 10:14pm

Omg...-tear-...You called my favorite actress wrinkly!! -cries-

Okay...fine she is wrinkly...but she looks a LOOT better on TV!!! xP

And she's awesome... Hokay had to get that out! xP

Yeah of course.  I understand...and it's like I said you feel comfortable with long hair...and that's just how people are different.  Me...I'm just one of those people who has to look a certain way all the time to be comfortable...you know?  Like...I-gotta-get-my-heels-just-to-go-get-the-mail-type person.  LOL...And I know as young as I am right now...I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with short hair either...but I also love short hair...and I'm experimental...So it's exciting for me to think one day I'll get some short haircut, and look the way...I "want" to look when I get older.

It sounds plastic...but I'm not plastic...trust me! LOL...Like I don't spend hours doing my hair, and I don't wear too much make-up...and always whine about being fat, or whatever....I'm just a certain way...just like you are a certain way.

Posted By: katay
Date Posted: February 16 2006 at 4:10am

Ok, I'm happy everyone got thier opinions out, and resolved.

I can see both of your sides regarding hair and age, etc...

I'm not going to take sides, but I'm happy we are all different. I mean, wouldn't this world be boring if everyone thought the same about everything? I think so,..;)

No worries everyone! I wish all the Best for You all!!!!

Take care, and God Bless,...

Katie

-------------
God Bless,...
Katie

Date Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:32am
After reading the (second half) of this discussion, I must add my opinion.
I agree with both parties, so I'm not trying to start trouble, I just think this
is a very interesting debate. I am 22 but I feel stongly about the
preconceived notion that older women must wear a short style. IBD, it
seems as though you feel long hair is something that represents
youthfulness and sexiness, and anyone who is "old" and wearing long hair
is only doing so to feel/look younger. This may be true for some,
however it cannot be a generalization. As DBF said, she wears long
hair *because she likes it*, not because she wants to appear youthful. I
think a neatly placed bun or a single long braid are more sophisticated
than those typical short-old-lady perms. In other words, there is a way to
wear long hair as an older person without looking "young". There are also
other elements to consider, like how does the person dresses, act, even
down to the way they style their long hair... I mean, if I see an older lady
with twin braids, I must admit that's kind of dumb looking because it's a
hairsyle that belongs on a little girl. (even being a young women and
wearing that style makes you look like a little girl, which is the point
sometimes, guys are totally into that!) If I see a women who is well over
50 wearing a chic layered hairstyle, a baby tee and bellbottoms, yeah I
think she is probably trying to look young. Yet, I've met several women
who have long hair, look their age, and look beautiful.

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:01pm

Yeah...there's definitely woman well over fifty who pull off long hair...It's like there's women well over 40 who look orgasmic in bikini's...you know?...It's not really a thin of age...I ment it more as a thing of...like...a certain point that everybody reaches at a certain time in their life when...they just you know..."look better with the one piece"...it's a similar concept.

Also...I was looking up hair lenghts...and I read that short hair is like...really short o.0...To me "short" is like when hair is like right above your shoulder.

Date Posted: February 17 2006 at 1:25am
IBD, I think as you start to age your thoughts on this subject may change.....anyway, good discussion!

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 3:28pm
I cast my lot with DBF, Sugaree, Tyranna, HFO, SK... 

I was carded just last week.  Being overly cautious, apparently.

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 4:22pm
Carded for what? Or is that a stupid question?

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 10:56pm
I think Dave means he was asked for his ID when he tried to purchase alcohol...meaning that his long hair makes him look YOUNG!!! (extra emphasis added for iibangduckiez, hehe)

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:05am
Who is that woman?

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by SpecialKitty SpecialKitty wrote:

I think Dave means he was asked for his ID when he tried to purchase alcohol...

Yes.

I dunno, AnaisSatin.  Maybe our duck-loving friend will enlighten us.

-------------

Posted By: star__n0__star_
Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:18pm
Im sorry but I just cant believe that you guys have been carded when you dont even look young from the back! Im with the duck! Not to be mean or anything but you guys look like you have mops on your head. I think that long hair does make people look older sometimes.  Long hair is nice but not when it just sits there.

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:25pm
And we disagree with you.

If someone wants their hair to just be long and just sit there fine.
As someone said on another board "I'm not here to decorate your world"

I don't mean to be mean either but I have a right to wear my hair long whether it makes me look young, old, or like a girl.

I only have to look at myself when I look in the mirror and as long as I'm not complaining........

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:55pm

Thats nice.

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:59pm
Yep it sure is nice to be able to choose for myself.

It sure is nice to have a board called Long Hair "Support" where people can come to get away from all the people who don't like long hair.....

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 3:05pm
....Or those who make excuses why we should change ours.

"Just hangs there"
"Doesn't do anything"
"No texture"
"Weighs face down"
"Hides the face"

Sure is nice to not have to hear things like that

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:05pm
Dont get so offended.  I like short AND LONG hair.  I think people should go for what works best on them.  Taking care of yourself shows you care about yourself.  

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:35pm

Um... group hug?

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:38pm
Lots of group hugs. I think we might need them here...

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by star n0 star star n0 star wrote:

Not to be mean or anything but you guys look like you have mops on your head.

Not to be mean, of course not.  I'm sure your comment was intended to be very kind and thoughtful.

Long hair is nice but not when it just sits there.

And I suppose your hair dances a jig whenever it's being photographed?

Im with the duck!

More precisely, you are the duck.  The IP addresses match; you are violating board guidelines by using 2 usernames.  Furthermore, you are clearly being disrespectful to the purpose of this board.  You and your duckie alter ego have been banned.  Goodbye.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:41pm
Clones would make the group hug bigger 

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:41pm

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

More precisely, you are the duck.  The IP addresses match; you are violating board guidelines by using 2 usernames.  Furthermore, you are clearly being disrespectful to the purpose of this board.  You and your duckie alter ego have been banned.  Goodbye.

Nice call, Dave.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:44pm
"And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you"

Because I like to be a long haired freaky people

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by PurpleBubba PurpleBubba wrote:

"And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you"

Because I like to be a long haired freaky people

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign...

Great tune, PB

Thanks, AS and LF

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:55pm
When I originally started growing my hair out as a teen I wanted to look like The Undertaker wrestler.
Now I have hair like 4 times as long as his because he was buzzed short for awhile.

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:28pm
Wow, that escalated quickly. Thanks for taking care of a troll, Dave!

I've never understood the "it just sits there" line. *All* hair just sits there, no
matter how long or short it is.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 11:28pm
Wow, that was my first online scandal! Dave, when you said "you are the duck," it was pretty dramatic - I didn't even see it coming. I'm glad you booted the duck, who was very confrontational and unsupportive. Thank you for taking care of us! And PurpleBubba, your hair is beautiful and so are you

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2006 at 10:25am
so I grabbed me a pen and a paper, and I made up my own little sign...it
said "Thank you Lord for thinkin' bout me, I'm alive and doin fine.."

Why must people be so cantankerous! (that's my vocab word of the day,
yay! I got to use it in a sentence) Life is too short for unkindness

-------------

Posted By: philosophy girl
Date Posted: February 21 2006 at 3:18pm

To answer the O/P and get away from the troll (thanks dave!)

Because long hair allows me to be lazy (no styling or blowdrying), is cheaper than regular haircuts and is the only way my curls will behave! I can also shock people at work by wearing it down as it's usuallly tied up, which is fun!  Especially good for meetings I find for some reason.....

I wish my hair did sit there doing nothing though, even when plaited then taken into a french roll it still manages to get itslef into a tangled mess every now and again, ahhh the wonders of curly hair!

(edited to correct my awfl spelling - oops)

Date Posted: February 21 2006 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by dancingbarefoot dancingbarefoot wrote:

I've never understood the "it just sits there" line. *All* hair just sits there, no matter how long or short it is.

True DBF, true...

I suspect the "it just sits there" criticism was one of a long list of criticisms surreptitiously devised by some Group Of Duly Dedicated And Merrily Nutty haircutters who despise the power possessed by long-haired women who boldly show the world the strength of their resistence to their most ardent critics -- the aforementioned cutters and their legions of empty-pocketed customers.

A little over the top, was that?

Back on topic, then...  </end hijack>

-------------

Posted By: Impaler Vlad
Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 10:34am
Well done (banning the duck, I mean) and well said, Dave! Why are short hair lovers so confrontational and imposing?
As for me, I keep my hair long because this is my way of proudly displaying my status of a free man. The rest of my resons are pretty much the same as Purple Bubba's. Unfortunatelly, my hair refuses to grow longer than its current 18 inches length, so I can't compete with you two.

Please excuse me for not introducing myself properly (didn't mean to be unpolite), but I assumed anyone can check my profile...

Blessed be!

-------------
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose

Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:12pm

Welcome, my liege  

I doubt your hair has stopped growing at 18 inches. Terminal length is usually longer than that... maybe the follicles are just taking a rest. Some people wait years for their hair to pick up and start growing again.

Blessings
Anais

-------------

Posted By: cassie_g
Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 6:18pm
I want long hair because I hate having it short. I loved having it long when I was younger even thought it was more work. And because I can.

-------------
1b/1c,M,iii Now:23" Goal:33"
Member of Benign Neglect Club
Memorial for my Uncle: www.acsevents.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=feIO LOOnGlF&b=1365123&sid=elKYKhPUImI3IcMPJpF

Posted By: Impaler Vlad
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 6:47am
To AnaisSatin:

May I thank Thy Ladyship for the kind welcome?
As for my hairlength, U're somehow right, but once it gets to 18 inches, the ends split like hell and I have to ask one of the kittens (I mean girlfriends) to trim it.

I present my homage to thy ladyship,

-------------
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose

Posted By: MissMareeJane
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:11am
I'm glad someone brought this thread up again! My hair is actually
getting pretty long! I mean... long for me! ( It reaches my armpits when
it's "just hanging there" as the duck would say ) Speaking of that, I have
something to add. It's that in my opinion, long hair moves just as much if
not more than short hair (if it's down of course) it moves along your back,
constantly morphing to the movement of your body. It swings behind you
when you walk and when you run, jump, dance it moves so much it tends