Forum Name: Men's 360 Waves - Part II
Forum Description: About 360 Waves
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=40293
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 1:34pm

Topic: Cuttin Hair
Posted By: rocawaves23
Subject: Cuttin Hair
Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 11:31am

Anyone got any tips on cuttin your own hair? I know someone asked this question but no one really answered it, but when your cuttin your hair with the guards, is it possible to go lower in some areas? And what guard should you use if you wanna leave your hair dark? A number two, but what size is that?

Replies:
Posted By: wnb85
Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:52pm
its not that hard really. u should ask a barber and maybe he could actually show u some things cause i dont think many ppl on here cut their own hair.

Posted By: Black Soldia™
Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:48pm
alot of ppl on here cut their own hair. And even more are just startin to

-------------
I'ma tell you like I tell my chicks don't watch me watch T.V

I love girls,girls,girls,girls,girls i do adore.

Posted By: dino
Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 3:26pm
cut ur hair without guards the first time...just to get a feel for the clippers

Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 11:42pm
I know someone asked this question but no one really answered it, but when your cuttin your hair with the guards, is it possible to go lower in some areas?

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 12:27am
nah..the clippers dont go any lower then the guards

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 11:14am

Originally posted by dino dino wrote:

nah..the clippers dont go any lower then the guards

Aight anotha question is what do you do wit all that hair afta the cut(cuz i already gots enough loose hairs jus from brushin)?Do you put newspapers on the floor b4 you cut, or do you just vaccumm/sweep?

Posted By: ButchBoi05
Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:21pm
just vaccumm or sweep it up.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:24pm
UMMM WHEN CUTTING HAIR U CUT IN THE DIRECTION U BRUSH?

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by boyz_passion boyz_passion wrote:

UMMM WHEN CUTTING HAIR U CUT IN THE DIRECTION U BRUSH?

You dont have to cut your hair the way you brush its just a matter of preference even though some ppl fear cutting opposite the way they brush.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:45pm
how do u cut the crown?

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2006 at 8:40am

I wanna be able to keep my waves a certain height like Vgizzle. Now say I give myself a numba 2. Would I use that same guard i used for that numba 2 ova and ova, to keep it lookin fresh?(Like being able to get those little hairs that keep stickin up)

Date Posted: February 21 2006 at 12:44pm
i cut my hair in the bathroom..i put a newspaper over the sink..and 1 under where im standing...take everything off the sink before u cut ur hair

Date Posted: February 21 2006 at 12:50pm
Good info! what about the previous question?

Posted By: ChristianTN8IS
Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 12:47am
YES u can use the taper thing on certain clippers to make ur own settings like 2.5,2.8, n what not, or u use more pressure to go closer n less pressure to cut less off, thats how u can fade in ur own neckline and sideburns.  Just start, holding real hard tight to skin, then slowly reduce pressure.

Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 3:11pm
Is this a good way to cut your own hair: WTG top-fordard, then bac-down, then sides-slanted, then do it again so you make sure you got evrythin all even?

Date Posted: February 25 2006 at 5:56pm
CUTTIN IS SUPER EASY!!!!!!!!!!!! I jus did myself today for the 1st time! All you do is put the guard on; I went WTG(the way i brush), wit a 1/8, thas a #2. Everythin wuz perfect, i just got lined up at the barber cuz linin yo self up is kinda hard!

Posted By: B*E*asy
Date Posted: February 26 2006 at 9:30am
      yes, if you want to do a taper, you just set the taper control with the guard on. lemme explain, lets say u want to do a fade, you'd cut your sides and bak, etc., with the taper control to how much you want it to fade, then cut the cut the rest of the hair with the next highest taper setting. depending on the typee of fade you want, the amount of settings used from the bottom up will vary, remember, the hair should go, from the bottom up:short to tall

-------------
BAC THEN, THEY DIDN'T WANT ME, NOW I'M HOT, THEY ALL ON ME...

Date Posted: February 28 2006 at 3:15pm
How often should you cut a #2 to keep it lookin fresh? each wk or wheneva you feel like it? And ATG or WTG?

Date Posted: March 02 2006 at 2:56pm
And if I do ATG, do i do that with the sides and the bac?

Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 3:39pm
Anotha question, which way do you cut the crown?

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 3:00pm
Yo Butch/Dino, how high do you leave your hair when you cut yourself?

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:32pm
Im tryin to keep this thread alive and nobody is replyin...

Posted By: oceanomics180
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 1:30pm
aiyo money i got you...i cut my own hair...the guard you use if you have just the clip on guard is a 1/8 with the grain that leaves it dark...and also it doesnt go lighter unless your not following the grain of the hair....so you must be careful to follow the grain of you hair all the way....when you get to the crown which should be the last thing you do cause thats the hardest part of the hair to cut....just brush it first to see how it feels if you are brushing the right way it wont feel as though you are lifting your hair up....and then once you find the pattern cut it how you brushed it yo....cause thats what i do find out how my crown grows and i cut it how i brush it....dont get mad if you mess up it happens...cause you know you have to find the pattern...but usually when you cut with the gaurd you wont get as low as a 1 1/2..any questions on that just pm me...

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 1:35pm
aight cool and what bout oilin up da clippers? Cuz i cut my hair last week and it was really low and then i noticed the clippers wer leavin streaks, so i was suppose to put oil on it; then won't that oil get in my hair or somthin?

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:02pm
*When I cut my crown it doesnt matter which direction I just cut it  because I cut My hair ATG any way #3 to be exact. Sometimes a #2.
* When you oil your clippers You put the oil on it and wipe the extra off then run the clippers for aboout 10seconds, but the oil really wont be getting in your hair.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:06pm
Aight BUTCH by the way wut do you put in your hair? And then be4 a cut do you put nethin in i.e pink lotion? (cuz i know u aint suppose to put pomade)

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:19pm
put diff stuff in my hair I probably never put the same thing everyday but here's a list of stuff I might use:I
*oil sheen in a jar
*royal crown
*jam
*when hair is long I use murrays
*carrot/olive cream
Its usually wutever I get to first the only thing I put in my hair everyday is bb super gro.
When I cut my hair I might have a very small amount of super gro or small amount of carrot, or olive cream.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:22pm
Aight, linin myself up is still super hard. I lined myself up sunday and i got the curve lookin good on one side and the otha one was kinda messed up. I don't know how to make the sideburns point. And i got some lil bumps from using a razor too.

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:29pm
I still make small mistakes on my line  sometimes and Ive been at it for a while its just one of those things that takes time to master. For me a lil alchohol works for the bumps.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:32pm

Yea the easiest part to do is the bac. I don't even bother w/ tryin behind my ears. Afta i line my bac i put the alchol on and then it burns. I like the burn b/c thas how i no i did somthin, but than the next day its kinda itchy.

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:35pm
Yea it does itch somtimes...

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:46pm
How do you clean up the hair afta u cut yourself? I got so many loose hairs in my room thas its ridicilous. If I stick some tape on the flooor than take it off thers gonna be hair ther gauranteed. Some of that hair is jus from brushin....

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:50pm
Depending on how I feel I sweep it or vacuum it. I usually vacuum it.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:57pm
Oh yea u use a soft or a hard brush? If i leave my hair a #2 it won't hurt as much wit a hard brush. And i made this otha thread bout where can i get a medium brush already? The medium brush i got right now is aight it's jus derrty wit pomade and otha stuff so.... just need a knew one.

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 4:01pm
I use  hard, medium, and soft.
When I got a fresh cut I use medium and soft and when my hair get longer I use Hard  and soft.

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 4:06pm
Wher'd u get the medium from?

Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 4:09pm
Technically its not a medium its a hard but its feels like a medium to me its made by titan the item number is  #742 I got it from a beauty supply store in the hood.

-------------

Posted By: Yung Hu$tla
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 9:27pm
u can get a brush from like Sallys annie make good med brushes

-------------
hustlin to get 360 gotta keep on brushing

Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 5:22pm
Whats betta a #2 WTG or a #3 ATG? (same height right?)

Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 5:42pm
Same height but I prefer #3 atg becuz its easier to make sure its all even.

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 6:16pm
When I did a #2 for the 1st time is was all even, but when i did a #1   wit my bro it wasn't. ATG was betta for him. 

Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 6:35pm
Yeah sometimes it depends on hair type.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2006 at 4:58pm
How fast can ya cut ya own hair now, compared to the 1st time?

Posted By: JordanCollecta
Date Posted: March 12 2006 at 5:44pm
it takes me like 15 min to do my ish. caz i got the professional oster joint

-------------
It aint me, its my jewlery thats pissed off

Date Posted: March 12 2006 at 7:12pm
It still take me a while like 20-30mins I guess, but thats becuz Im a perfectionist.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:10pm

Aight, say i leave my hair a #2 and i got my waves from a soft brush,  if start usin a hard brush will that affect my waves? Cuz jus 2mins. ago i bought a magic brush that said it was hard but felt like it wuz medium, but its really hard so...........or should i use both?

Date Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:11pm
Brushin wit the hard on top didn't hurt really but the bac was kinda hurtin a lil.

Date Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:12pm
Use both.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:15pm
jus brushed sides a second ago........... really hurts. If that was a medium would'nt hurt at all. So how do you boil a hard brush? (plus a hard brush leaves stuff behind i.e. don't wanna call it dandruff, jus "stuff" fallin out from the new brush.)

Date Posted: March 14 2006 at 2:21pm
How come barbers don't use razors and only use the trimmers, while i gotta use both too try to make it crisp? plus its hard to line yourself up...

Date Posted: March 14 2006 at 5:18pm
1. barbers got experience it takes time to get real good at lining yourself up
2 Usually if you cant get close enough u might need to adjust your trimmer.
3. i dont even use/own trimmers i just use a razor

-------------

Posted By: brush-dem-naps
Date Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:36pm
 i give ya'll props for cuttin ya own hair..mayne, i couldn't do it. I have before..its not that hard(but hard enough) but theres just something bout a professional cut that makes it look better to me. it's almost....perfect! haha

-------------

*Grab Tha Brush And Lets Spin*

Date Posted: March 14 2006 at 10:06pm
I get a professional cut every once in a while but cuttin my own hair gives me a sense of accomplishment especially when I get compliments I take pride in cutting my own hair.But its not for everybody...lol

-------------

Date Posted: March 15 2006 at 3:45pm
LOL, yea cuttin is REAL easy. Yea i like dat sense of self accomplishment too. Esp. when your waves are stuntin

Date Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:36pm
Does cuttin WTG for a #2 really make your hair uneven, or is that only for a numba one.

Date Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:43pm
With any gaurd cuttin wtg you run that risk of it not being even all I can say is to keep going over you hair until it doesnt cut anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:48pm
Aight cuz WTG was the 1st way i cut my hair and when i went to get lined up my barber said everythin wuz aight. Which one is easier ATG or WTG?

Date Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:56pm
I say ATG its easier and quicker

-------------

Date Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:03pm
yeah fam..it takes me about an hour...because i do everything taper the sides back and front of my head...i am a perfectionist also when it comes to edging and using the razor...with the razor to not get bumps..apply water first before you put on the shaving creame...also by some shavcing creame that has bump protection...and also some after shave to apply after your done...the easiest way to line yourself up is to put the trimmers a little bit before the hair line and go up to the hair line...then brush done...keep doing it until you like how it looks...when you get to the sides..start from the side burns and turn the clippers to the side and make a half circle and then clean it up...where the point is just barely touch it at the tip and then as i said before from the side burns go in a half circle motin then to meet at the point...that usually works for me....then to get the round part by the ear..hold your ear down and then start from the round part thats at the back and come foward to where the round part is in the front...make sure that the clippers are turned sideways...so as to just only use a portion of the edgers... 

Date Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:32pm
Good info. Yea i got bumps by my sideburns afta i did it for the 1st time wit razors and im still waitin for evrythin to grow bac, and afta the bumps go away im gonna get lined up. I've been lettin my facial hair grow for about a wk now so i can c if i can get evrythin connectin wit da lil goatee, or i'll call it a peach fuzz on the 10th level. Naw forget all dat, jus say when i shave my chin, evrythin comes bac in in about 3 days. Do you put rubbin alchol everyday afta you line your self up?

Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 9:19am
naw fam...i just use the the afta shave blue magic to keep myself from getiing bumps....usually that will take care of you getting bumps fam....i know i havent got any bumps..the only way that is possible is if you have sensitive skin in certain areas....then i would say just to keep using it for awhile so as to not bump up...usually afta a mess up fam wait about 2wks and then go back at it...cause 2wks is long enough for the hair to grow back where youve messed up.....then start again.....then also when using a str8t razor fam..you have to make sure you go against the grain so as to not bump up and not with the grain...that cleans it and it doesnt put alot of pressure on your skin...

Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 5:20pm
If I leave my hair a #2, how often should i cut my hair? each wk? or evry other day?

Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 6:31pm
its up to you a week to every two weeks... i guess

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 10:17am
Aight if I cut every friday wit a #2 won't that jus clean up those lil hairs that nvr stay down?

Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 2:19pm
I guess it could

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 5:08pm

Do waves look good with a #3?

Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 5:13pm
it depends on the pomade that you use..cause at a number 3 the hair is higher and it will take something heavy to lay it down kid...but at a 2 about every 2 wks will be fine cause you still wanna give your waves a chance to develope...and get deep....me i always get the 1 1/2 because that allows me to go for a month or so..so that i can get them deep and trained...once your there fam..just treat them right

Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 11:46pm
I get #3's cuz I like my hair really dark plus my hair is pretty much trained and it looks nice and really shows my pattern more.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 7:22pm
Aight, Butch, do your waves look good at a #3? Like you know how your like man i need a hair cut, does your hair still look like you need a cut wit a #3?

Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 7:27pm
Yeah they look good at a num. 3 thats why I keep it that length. To me my hair doesnt look like I need a cut at a num. 3 but thats just me it all has to do with personal pref.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 7:34pm

Aight when i get my cut within this wk, im gonna see if i even got enough hair for a #3, and if i don't, i'll go wit a #3 ATG. By the way i found a medium brush

Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 7:44pm
Thas good I need to get myself a new med.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:00pm
Do you guys re-wash your hair afta a cut? or do you just brush away the loose hairs?

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:11pm
since i wash before I cut I just rinse them out.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:38pm
Hey butch how did you get your crown so perfect?

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:56pm
I basically brush like the chart show brush...And when my hair get longer I somtimes have to focus more on it an make sure the hairs lay where they suposed to go I just get in the mirror and do what I gotta dio

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:38pm
Aight, Butch. im rebringin this thread up for some newbie.

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:14pm
Aight bac to linin' my self up. I got the Andis outliner II, and i wanna get that crispness wit out the razor. I'm gonna get to practicin esp. around spring break(no skool).Does anyone get that crispness w/o razors?

Posted By: Hurricanewaves
Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 5:21pm

am i the only one that uses hard brush still? i mean, i still use soft brush too. i use soft brush after i get my cut for two weeks, then after the two weeks i switch back to hard when my hair gets thicker again. its been exactly two weeks tomorrow and im switching back to hard. then im gettin another cut in 2 weeks. i usually get a 1 1/2 cease. need to look fresh. im going to church wit my cousins for easter and its gonna be mad chicks haha this growing my hair out really works and most cats dont know its the secret to having better 60s. but yalls stuff must be really deep, because butch i see your pic and your sh*t.. you could put a penny in between those. how do you manage to grow like 8 weeks? i have trouble with going 5 weeks. even with line-ups.

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 5:41pm
i still use my hard brush
Its hard i be so tempted to cut sometimes but keeping my line and taper nice helps me to hold on cuz I get alot of compliments cuz it look real clean cuz my hair so dark it look sweet with the taper, Plus I can auctualluy see the improvements and  I  just keep goin my hair is also really trained so it doesnt look any diff when im growin it out the waves just look thicker and i kinda like how that looks also...i guess its diff for everybody. some ppl its a matter of being patient other ppl their hair is not as trained so they start to look a lil bushy and unkempt.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 6:11pm
yea. thats how my hair use to be. bushy when it got long but i had waves. its startin to lay down now that more have formed and i like having dark hair wit waves and a fresh hairline. but ima du like you, but instead of the taper, im gettin a double hairline, with the waves and darkness, ohh ima be soo fresh!

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 8:51pm
Does growin your hair out really help? So what gaurd would u use if u let your hair grow for 4-5 wks? A #3 WTG or #4ATG?

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 8:57pm
Growin my hair out is when I see the most results(growin it out really helps!), and every time I get a cut after growin it out I get a number 3 atg unless I wanna work on connection then I get a #2 atg.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:02pm
Thas some good info, Should I just clean up my hair now wit a #3ATG till spring break?or jus let it all grow. Cuz i gots almost 2wks left of skool b4 break. If i clean my self up and wait afta spring break, that'll be bout 4-6 wks of growin out.

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:05pm
I say go for the grow out just do ya line and if you do a taper hook that up.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:09pm
Aight let me see exactly how long it's been since a cut( The last reply i made wuz wen i wuz like i cut my hair too short and i was kinda mad.)

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:18pm
Yea im at 3-4wks now, gettin lined up really makes ppl notice yo waves even MORE. 

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 12:12am
yeah. i was mad when i found out that on the weekend i wanted to get my cut, thats when spring break starts! and im not doing anything for spring break, so ima have to wait another 2 weeks for a cut which will be about 7 or 8 weeks of growing. im going to spin so hard. but the rough times will be hard to get through

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 8:14pm
Why are waves sometimes uneven WTG?

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 8:33pm
 grows it doesnt grow even and cutting wtg especially if you doin it yourself its not always easy to see and make sure that you got every little spot especially if ya hair is really laid down  like mine.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 8:38pm
When i did WTG by myself i went straight to da barbershop for a line up, and they said it was aight. I jus went ova evrythin ova n ova.

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 8:49pm
Yeah thats wut you gotta do until no more hair will cut you even have to do that wit atg but not as much.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 8:53pm
I'm gonna start a poll bout WTG or ATG, and see what othas gotta say bout dat.

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 9:59pm

Just reassuring myself, but there aint no 1.5guard right?

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 10:08pm
I think I saw some1 mention it before but im not sure. If so I wouldnt even have one cuz I got some cheap clippers I dont even have a #1...

-------------

Posted By: S.C. King
Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:50am

so if you put a guard on your clippers your hair will be even all around? if you want a dark cut whick size guard should u use. how do you keep your hair line strait. are you suppose to that yourself to? is a guard the lil black thing you slide on the clippers

Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:14pm
Yeah the purpose of the gaurd is to make the hair even. a # 2 equivelent to 1/8 with the grain is dark or #3 against the grain equivelent to 1/4 is dark also.Yes the gaurd is the lil black thing you slide on ya clippers. Some ppl prefer to go to the barber and get their line done...its not hard to do your self you can use a trimmer or a razor...basically you jus look in the mirror and you can see its straight or not.

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 2:22pm
Aight i got anotha quesiton. If i get lined up on a Wensday and then wanna cut myself on Sun. do i need to get re-lined up?

Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:00pm
No you shouldnt have to but if it look like it need a lil cleanin up do it.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window