Print Page | Close Window

I think my hair has stopped growing.

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Fine Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of those with fine hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=40535
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 9:49am

Topic: I think my hair has stopped growing.
Posted By: Lollipop
Subject: I think my hair has stopped growing.
Date Posted: February 25 2006 at 4:03pm

Hey. I have fine hair. When I wash it and it dries it's wavy..but really uneven. I use straighteners a lot cos I look awful with my hair in it's natural state.

My hair has been at chest level for ages, and I really want it to be longer!

Why has this happenend? Could it be my use of straighteners? Why have the ends stopped growing, i thought hair grew from the roots, so surely it should grow?

Help!

Replies:
Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: February 25 2006 at 5:48pm
Hi Lollipop! Are the straighteners you are using the heated kind? If you are using these daily, you could be damaging your hair. It is likely growing in at the roots at a normal rate, and just breaking from all the damage from straightening, meaning your hair looks like it isn't growing.  At the ends, your hair is oldest, and has seen the most damage than what's at the top. Heated straightening definitely had the effect of breaking my hair at the ends and my hair stayed one length until I stopped straightening it. Hope that helps! Also, you might check out the long hair forum for more tips on how to get your hair to grow longer, if that's what you're after.

-------------

Posted By: Lollipop
Date Posted: February 26 2006 at 1:29pm

Hi, thanks!

I think i'm going to have to stop straightening my hair then. My hair is naturally wavy, but frizzy and uneven. Can you suggest a style that will look ok and calm it down? I don't want to use my straighteners if its damaging my hair like this.

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: February 27 2006 at 10:42am

You're welcome, nice to meet you! So, I'm guessing the frizziness is actually not natural and is a result of the heat straightening over many years. Look at a photo of your hair when your were younger, before you straightened. My frizz was due to damage. I have been doing several things to get back to healthier hair. Here are some:

-stopped trimming my hair for awhile

-using conditioning-only washes and very diluted shampoo (only rarely do I use shampoo). Check out the long hair forum for more info on how to do this.

-not heat straightening anymore

-sleeping in a silk cap at night

-wearing up-dos (buns, braids) to protect my hair (these have the added benefit of smoothing my hair into soft waves and eliminating much of the frizz when I choose to wear it down occasionally)

That's all I can think of for now. The long hair forum is great and has lots of good support and information for healthier hair. I think it is more active than the fine hair forum. Oh, and I guess trying to accept my hair in its natural state is something I've been working on doing as well. See you on the long hair board I hope

-------------

Print Page | Close Window