Print Page | Close Window

biotin

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=40780
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:35pm

Topic: biotin
Posted By: vtecbabe
Subject: biotin
Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 6:07am
hi im new to all this due to my friend saying she would dye my hair for me and ended up nearly burning all my hair. i used to have hair down to my elbows but had to have it cut up to my shoulders due to all the damage, and i hate it i really want it 2 grow back fast. i was reading about people taking biotin so i decided to buy some but now im really confused about how much to take. they are 0.300mg and on the bottle it says to take just 1 a day but been reading people have been takeing up to 1000mg. can someone please tell me how much u can take for it to b safe. thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 10:58am
I take 1 pill per day that contains 1000 mcg or 1 mg.

Some people take more and some take less. I'm kinda on the low side.

Supposedly you can't take too much of it because if you take more than the body can process it will just get rid of the extra. I don't want to sound gross but you'll just urinate it out.

However that also means you don't want to go too high or you'll just be wasting it.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 8:52pm

I take a very small amount .3mg.  I used to take 3 times this amount, but found that it was giving me pimples!! I haven't had a pimple in 5 years until I started taking this dosage. Luckily, since I went back to the low dose, the problems have all cleared up.   However, I have not noticed any increase in growth rate. Perhaps there has been a decrease in shedding....although it's hard to say if that is because of other things I'm doing.

Anyway...good luck to you and welcome

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:55am
Welcome to the forum, vtecbabe!

I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate hair dye disaster.   I take biotin supplements, and recently upped my intake (since I've been eating more protein because I've been more intensely weight-training).  Unlike Rini, my acne hasn't worsened (in fact, it's gotten better, but it may be unrelated to biotin intake).  Basically, the stuff helps your body to metabolize protein, and since hair is protein, most conclude that ensuring that you have enough biotin in your diet will help ensure healthy (and possibly speedier) hair growth.

-------------

Posted By: vtecbabe
Date Posted: March 05 2006 at 11:41am
thankyou all for your help!

Print Page | Close Window