Print Page | Close Window

I need help please

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=41301
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 12:41pm

Topic: I need help please
Posted By: exotic
Subject: I need help please
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 3:36am

Hi I am new here and I need some advice.

My hair was lovely and long (up to my waist), well conditioned and in one lenth. I used to wear it in a single plat and up which was very convinient for work (I am a nurse). But becouse of colouring mistake I needed to have it cut to get rid of the damaged ends (it wasnt to bad). Instead of triming it only I decided to have some long layers put in thinking that it will look nice for my wavy hair. The end result wasnt what I expected for and instead of long layers the stylist has put lots of layers everywhere (the shortest just under my ear) . It was to late to do or say anything and I left home in tears. The end part of my hair reaches my bra strap and it is in a U shape but very thin becouse of the upper layers. My problem is that I dont wear my hair strait (dont use any heat at all) and when it dryes now it looks frizzy and horible plus I cant put it in a plat. Can anybody please tell me how to style it when wet and how to wear it up when on work? Should I just cut it to level up the layers (my last solution) and be very stressed becouse of it or let it grow and then maybe (in the future) level it up? Please help me

Thank you in advance

Replies:
Posted By: trophywife
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 6:14am

I would suggest that you let it grow and then start trimming to get rid of the layers gradually.  If your hair looks frizzy when you air dry, try applying a serum like John Frieda Frizz Ease (or similar - there are many brands available) to your wet hair.  Using a deep conditioning treatment once a week or fortnight may also make your hair look shinier and sleeker.

Experiment with tying your hair up and / or back, like a French plait, chignon, messy bun, etc. and find out what you like.

Good luck - sorry to hear that you're not happy.

-------------
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 7:13am
While you're letting your layers grow out, try oiling your hair when you want to wear it down to reduce frizz.  You don't use much oil, just a drop or two (your hair will not look greasy after you do it, and oil will not get on your clothes - if it does look greasy you used too much).  This will greatly reduce frizz and help define your waves.  You can use jojoba oil, coconut oil, and I've even heard of people using olive oil. 

Don't worry about it looking thinner because of the layers, I see lots of people around with longer hair and the razor cut that makes the hair look layered and thinner, it is the style (though I agree with you, I prefer mine blunt cut and that's how I keep it no matter what the style - I'm just saying don't worry about it for now).

As for the hairstyles, try fixing it in a ponytail and wrapping as much as you can into a bun and fasten it.  A lot of your layered ends will stick out, but messy buns are also in style, and this seems to be what most people do with long layered hair.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 12:36pm

Oh, Exotic, that is very distressing for you I'm sure it was a shocker to see what the sylist did to your hair. I agree with trophywife and Susan  - don't do anything drastic. Just let your hair grow and slowly do microtrims to banish the layers over the long term. I bet the layers actually look very pretty - maybe encourage the wave or curl with some non-heat rollers to emphasize the layers? And I like the Giovanni Direct Leave-In conditioner for easing frizziness. A tiny bit of coconut oil helps my hair as well, and is absorbed quickly with no greasiness. Maybe post us a photo of your hair so we can get a good idea of what you're dealing with? Hugs

-------------

Posted By: KellyX
Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 6:38pm
Exotic...that is exactly what happened to me.  I opted to cut the straggly long layers off and I wasnt happy to say the least.  That was 2 months ago and my hair has grown and looks and feels healthier.  I was stressed and cried, but I decided it would grow back in no time and it is.  I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do.

-------------
Kelly

Posted By: samsara
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 1:04am
Exotic,
I know what you are going through I really do. I am dealing with
something similar except my damage was due to chemical straightening. I
had 4 inches of length and various layers cut into it to get rid of damage
also. Try not to fall into the pattern of trial and error. It's a horrible
treadmill of trying to fix one problem only having to be faced with
another.
Whatever you do DONT CUT. Your layers will start to look completely
different in about 4 months when they grow a full 2 inches or more. That
would be the time to have a micro trim to the longest ends and continue
in this pattern until they meet or are varying in lengths of 3 inches which
looks really nice. In the mean time I am sure it is still very pretty and if
you get the urge to cut then "get it off your face". This has been my
mantra for 7 months. I wear it up and back in a claw clip and pull the odd
layer out loose around my face so I don't feel like a headmistress. I would
do this as it would also be good for your work. When you need to have it
out for a special occassion, treat yourself to a salon intense moisture
treatment and have them proffessionally style it for you, either in soft
waves or through the GHD technique or a straight smooth blow dry.

Before you book your appointment make sure that you give yourself a
stern talking to and know your game plan. Be in charge and DO NOT let
them suggest a cut, colour or otherwise to your hair.They think they know
best but they are not left with the emotional aftermath. Let them know
you are growing it out- simple- end of discussion- please blow dry thank
you or whatever.
There are plenty of great tips on this site. Keep up the treatments and opt
for conditioning only through the week and celebrate with a light wash
and treatment on the weekend.

Lots of luck and remeber don't cut- once you start it's like an addiction.

Posted By: MissMareeJane
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:26am
Exotic - I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with your style! a similar
thing happened to me as well, you've come to the right place! I bet if you
did all the above suggestions and had nice waves contained in a low
ponytail, that would keep it out of the way while you work , and it would
look nice too! clip the shorter hairs back with bobby pins if they don't
reach the tail. The best of luck! The great thing about hair is it's always
growing!!!

-------------
Don't let the man get you down

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 23" Goal: Waist

Posted By: MissMareeJane
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:29am
Also, reward yourself with some cute pins and hairclips to distract you
while your hair grows out!

-------------
Don't let the man get you down

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 23" Goal: Waist

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 8:54pm
Greetings, exotic!  Saddened to hear what happened, though. 

It's always important to be very clear about what you want, and how much should be cut.  Even then, you are still at the mercy of the stylist, who may choose to ignore what you've told them.

Anyway, my opinion is to let the layers grow out.  Keep an eye on them and trim any splits you find.  This will help you to let the layers grow out as quickly as possible.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window