Print Page | Close Window

Stylists supportive of long hair, or not?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=42178
Printed Date: June 18 2024 at 9:15am

Topic: Stylists supportive of long hair, or not?
Posted By: DaveDecker
Subject: Stylists supportive of long hair, or not?
Date Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:30pm
Last week, I had a discussion with a woman at the office (whom I hadn't seen around in awhile) whose hair is longer now than I've ever seen it (not especially long, just longer).

She told me that she wants it to be longer, but her hairstylist is always encouraging her not to do so.  Another woman at the office recently told me essentially the same thing.

What have been your experiences with stylists?  Do/have they counsel you not to go any longer?  Or are they fully supportive of your intention to maintain/grow long hair?

Replies:
Posted By: philosophy girl
Date Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:37pm

My (former) hair stylist always made slightly snide comments about how long my hair had gotten since the last time she had seen me.  I haven't been to a hardresser for well over a year now as I have never had a haircut that I liked.  Long + curly hair seems to be an issue lots of stylists just can't handle.

Now that I do s+ds and micro trims my hair (and ego) are a lot happier and healthier

-------------
3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)

Date Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:39pm
plus I'm cheap

-------------

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)

Posted By: Sasumi
Date Posted: April 09 2006 at 3:06pm
Actually, my hairstylist is very supportive of me growing my hair. Every time I come she'll comment on how long it's become, and she'll never ask me if I want it short.

In fact, the first time I came to her, I wanted to cut my hair almost boy-short. She talked me into cutting it only to my chin. I'm happy she didn't cut it boy-short, because a month after cutting my hair, I wanted to grow it long.

But, she has waist-length hair, so that's probably the reason why she's supportive of me growing my hair.

-------------

Posted By: Hellfrozeover
Date Posted: April 09 2006 at 4:45pm

The girl who cut my hair was always really good about me growing it and always complimented it's length. When I had to get another layer to get rid of some chlorene/sun damage she persuaded me not to go as short as I wanted.

Now I do it myself because it's easier and cheaper.

-------------

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: April 09 2006 at 8:08pm
I've never had my hair cut by a stylist, but I've gone into a few salons before and asked around, so I have run into a few different people. Some comment on how long it is and are very nice about it, whereas some try to pressure me into getting it cut. I'd say on the whole, there's been more supportive of my long hair than not.

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:31pm

My experience with stylists overall has not been good. Most stylists commented on how thin and dry my hair is and encouraged me to keep it short. I had one good stylist years ago who cut it short (at my request) and told me I had beautiful hair and that if I wanted to grow it long, I should do so. So I guess it's good I had that one positive experience......oh, and PurpleBubba is always so supportive, he's a stylist, right?

-------------

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:15am
Good topic Dave!!  Like SK, I've had pretty bad stylist experiences.  They always look like they're having a hard time working with my hair, and used to comment on how frizzy it was and how it was hard to blow dry.  They always suggested trendy haircuts and loads of expensive products....and of course thought it just HAD to be straightened!!!  Of course, back when I used to go to a stylist I didn't have the knowledge I have now...so I just used to go along with them.  It's been 8 months since I've been to a stylist, and I'm very happy never to go to one again.

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: Impaler Vlad
Date Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:41am
Most hairstylists I have seen (not to mention barbers )LOVE to chop hair and they are constantly discouraging people who want to grow they hair. This is one of the reasons I never entered in a barbershop since I was 16, and allways told my GFs to stay away of scissors. IMO, haircutters should be IMPALED.

Blessed be,

-------------
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose

Date Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:50am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

She told me that she wants it to be longer, but her hairstylist is
always encouraging her not to do so.  Another woman at the office recently told me essentially the same thing.

Screw those stylists! Tell those two ladies to change their hairdressers!

Blessed be,

-------------

Posted By: Tyranna
Date Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:59pm

Mostly, no.  But then again, it is their professional interest to keep customers coming in.  And what easier way than to push shorter hair styles that have a shorter 'shelf life' so to speak and that requires more updating.  And I am wondering if it is less work for them to simply cut to a particular shorter style rather than work with the  longer hair curl and structure.  Saw one episode of 'What Not to Wear' and this blond girl insisted on keeping her length and the stylist Nick ended up doing a great job shaping it.  But he complained about all the work he had to do!

However, there were long-haired riendly stylsts out there willing to work with longer hair, l might consider going to them.

-------------

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front

Posted By: KellyX
Date Posted: April 10 2006 at 7:36pm

It seemed every time I went in for a trim I cut way more cut off than I wanted.  There was one I really like who told me " I cant glue it back on, so we will cut a little.  If you want more off, we can always cut it again." I like that philosophy, but she moved away.  I found another who was good the first time I saw him , but on the second trim......he messed up big time.  NOW, no trims at all for me for a long long time.  So I dont think most of them really are supportive.  Not the ones I've met anyhow.

-------------
Kelly

Posted By: Nastasska
Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 2:41am
I've recently been seeing a new hairdresser and I have to say she is wonderfulShe doesn't pressure me to trim any off the length she does exactly what I ask in fact she is over cautios she has long hair herself which helps she really is great

-------------
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Nastasska/fuseli_nightmare-1.jpg" />
Cats may have staff but dogs have slaves, tired ones

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 4:12am

My hairdresser is a mix. When I see her she will exclaim over how long and pretty my hair hair is but she would prefer for me to trim it more often and get more cut off (only an inch!!??? What´s the point in that!!!???" My mum (who goes to the same hairdresser-she has a short bob that requires frequent trimming) tells m how the hairdresser will tell her that my hair really needs cutting. That annoys me. She doesn´t want it to be short but definiton of the time between trims (6 weeks) and mine (a year or so) is slightly different!

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Posted By: Rinny86
Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 6:13am
I am a hairdresser myself in Australia, and I find that the most stylists I work with, prefer to work with/cut shorter hair. My hair is BSL with my goal waistlength, and they used to constantly say, 'You should cut it shorter', or 'Why grow it longer, it looks good at that length'. I have just learned to ignore their comments and do what I want with my hair. The reason that most stylists want to cut off clients hair is simply because short hair requires regular trimming every 4-6 weeks, which brings in better business for the salon. You also usually need more styling products for short hair, therefore bringing another opportunity for a sale. In my opinion, long hair is alot easier to cut than short hair, and I prefer to work with long hair anyday. Whenever clients decide for the big chop, I never convince them to do it, I actually try to talk them into keeping a bit of length! Once you cut it off, it takes a long time to grow back!

-------------
.:*``*:.~*CoRiNnE*~.:*``*:.
      *Long Hair Lover*   
      Hair type- 1c F ii

Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 6:55am
Judging by what Tyranna and Rinny 86 posted, those pricks deliberatelly destroy your crowning glory in order to make money out of youtr misery... Ladies, stay away from those scoundrels! I still say those s___heads should be impaled!

Blessed be,

-------------

Posted By: denika_s
Date Posted: April 11 2006 at 11:33am

I have only had to "fire" one hairstylist and that was over a year ago.  She admired my patience for maintaining my hair so well, but would always tell me that my hair was in need of an update.  When she took off 3 inches when I asked for a 1 inch trim, she got the boot and I never went back again!

The stylist I see now is great, although I do see her often.  She respects what I want for my hair.  Butttt......last time I was there she informed me she is moving to Ontario in May.  She has invited me in to meet a new girl, but I haven't went in to see her yet.\

~Den

Posted By: Sunsailing
Date Posted: April 12 2006 at 6:55pm

My stylist has been very supportive. She only trims exactly what I ask her to.

I think it's important to find a stylist that you like and stick with them. I also believe in tipping well if your stylist does a good job!

-------------

Posted By: caramel
Date Posted: April 12 2006 at 8:57pm
most of the stylists i've been to claimed that my hair was unhealthy and needed to be trimmed or even cut... most stylists i know, as friends or so, tell me my hair is very healthy... i concluded that, as Impaler Vlad mentioned, they're just after the money 

-------------

Posted By: summer*22*
Date Posted: April 12 2006 at 9:04pm

I think hair stylists listen mostly when you make it clear exactly what you want.  If you know what you want you won't be pressured by them.

But in my experience, most hair stylists do pressure you to cut it off.  Shorter styles require more maitanence haircuts to keep the style.  But longer styles do not require as much haircuts if hair is kept healthy.  My hairstylist wanted me coming in all the time for trims even when it was long....so I think they just have a business to run and do what is necessary to keep customers coming back.

But from a stand point that I have ruined my hair being really stupid....my hairstylists have helped me fix my hair.  So...I don't think they are always bad....they just are running a business like everyone else.  I think hairstylists listen when the customer is VERY clear exactly what they want.

Posted By: caramel
Date Posted: April 12 2006 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by summer*22* summer*22* wrote:

I think they just have a business to run and do what is necessary to keep customers coming back.

true.. i don't want to be harsh on them, i do understand that it's probably their source of income... some of them, though, are dishonest and will say anything just for the money... that i do not like at all

-------------

Posted By: Sugarloaf
Date Posted: April 13 2006 at 1:53am

My usual hairdresser has waist length hair and is always drawing attention to it by throwing it over her shoulder, wrapping it around her neck etc.  She was the one who encouraged me to grow out a short layered style and I'm really pleased about that. 

BUT  I never see anyone in her salon with hair much longer than shoulder length.  When mine reached that length she started to make comments about it needing more shape.  I'm still trying to grow out disgusting hair dye, so am carrying on with trims.  But when the dye has all gone, I'm going to grow it a few more inches. 

Another girl did my hair recently because my usual hairdresser was away.  She was excellent and put a lot of effort into it.  However, her own hair was short.  When I mentioned long hair, she was VERY forthright about how she doesn't think it looks good on people.

I think there is a lot of truth in what people say about hairdressers protecting their income.  Mine wasn't happy when I stopped having it dyed and made lots of comments that would have swayed a lot of women into using dye again.  She's given up now though!

Posted By: Lickalime
Date Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:38am
I'm hoping to be done with a stylist. I know if I need something my
sister-in-law (who does hair) can take care of me

I'm working on growing out bangs and getting rid of years and years of
color. I'm starting with Tea Tree shampoo. I asked my sister-in-law
about stripping the color. She went to Mally's and asked the pros and
cons for doing that to my hair. The cons out weighed the pros. So for
now I have to be really patient

Date Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Sugarloaf Sugarloaf wrote:

Another girl did my hair recently.  However, her own hair was short.  When I mentioned long hair, she was VERY forthright about how she doesn't think it looks good on people.

BOOO! She's wrong! Pls Tell her short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste. Not only for women, but for men, too!

Blessed be and keep your hair long,

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:04pm

My usual hairdresser has waist length hair and is always drawing attention to it by throwing it over her shoulder, wrapping it around her neck etc.  She was the one who encouraged me to grow out a short layered style and I'm really pleased about that. 

BUT  I never see anyone in her salon with hair much longer than shoulder length.  When mine reached that length she started to make comments about it needing more shape.

Well, doesn't that say a lot?  If she really believed what she said, why would she have waist-length hair?

Another girl did my hair recently because my usual hairdresser was away.  She was excellent and put a lot of effort into it.  However, her own hair was short.  When I mentioned long hair, she was VERY forthright about how she doesn't think it looks good on people.

Well, doesn't that say a lot, too?  Seems she believes her customers ought to bend their will to hers.  Whose wishes are being served here?

Originally posted by Impaler Vlad Impaler Vlad wrote:

BOOO! She's wrong! Pls Tell her short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste. Not only for women, but for men, too!

So you dislike short hair intensely, fine, but your "ultimate proof of bad taste?" comment is over the top.  I don't think that'll win you many fans, even here.

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:05pm
Agree with Dave....just because we all love long hair here, it doesn't mean that others who choose to have short hair have bad taste. I appreciate and admire some short hair styles, it's just not something I want for myself.  Everyone has the freedom to choose

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 6:45am

So you dislike short hair intensely, fine, but your "ultimate proof of
bad taste?" comment is over the top.  I don't think that'll win
you many fans, even here.

What about the freedom of speech? Have U forgot the First Amendment? If a short hair lover is entitled to be forthright, so is a short hair hater! I am sure a lot of people will hate me for my beliefs, but I'm allready used to it - I stoped caring about it decades ago... I also strongly belive long haired persons are entitled to resist BY ALL MEANS to ANY form of 'cut-your-hair' social pressures. BTW, 'Short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste' is one of my favorite answers to 'U'd look so much better with short hair'. The other one is: 'Definetly wrong - U are the one who should grow Ur hair long'. I know it doesn't make me very popular, but I also know I AM RIGHT.
This kind of pressures are threats against my personal freedom. Not only mine, actually. ALL long-haired persons, male and female, are subjected to pressures of this kind. (Check Melantha's post on the 'Hair Politics' board.) Why should we be tolerant with long hair haters, when they are not tolerant to us? And correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS the Long Hair Support board, not the Short Hair Support one.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 8:50am
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

Everyone has the freedom to choose

PLS tell that to the hairdresser who said long hair doesn't look good on anyone... I was just striking back.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 10:34pm
OK OK...don't get excited IV, we're just trying to keep some negativity out of this forum.  We all come here to share information and experiences and to have fun and make friends. Once it becomes "not fun", then it's not worth doing anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 1:20am

Impaler Vlad - maybe you're having a bad day? You've seemed so positive in the past. I agree with Rini and Dave, this forum is a long hair board, but we try to be supportive and positive of everyone's choices and encourage folks in a friendly way. When you say you're right, you're kind of closing the door to people who may have different opionions and hair choices. Judging people for having short hair is the same as judging people for other reasons like their education level, the color of their skin, or their taste in music. We are all different, and as you like to say "blessed be" our differences.

-------------

Posted By: lhairfan31
Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 7:21am
      I have to say it seems alot of stylists do get scissor happy, like they get paid by the hair they cut or something.  lol    Also these makeover shows that are on tv, it definitely shows stylists are told to cut as much hair as possible for ratings and exposure to their salons.   I do feel stylists are not very supportive of long hair at all.  

Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 10:40am
Well ladies, it seems some expaining is necessary...

Your ladyships probably remember I admitted when I introduced myself that 'I-Hate-Short-Hair' could be my middle name (my hatred for short hair emerged when I was 3 years old, and I only gainned the control over the way I look when I turned 16). When I red about a hairdresser who asserted long hair doesn't look good on people, I felt outraged. BTW, THANK YOU lhairfan31 for backing me up! Scissor happy hairdressers allways give me bad days & bad moods (that's why I never went to a hairdresser or barber in almost two decades!)... To be entirely honest, I also must admit my boss had a bad hair day - actually, a 'bad-my-hair-day' and, some hours before reading that post, he lectured me about the 'company dress code'(something that, IMO, worth less than a farthing!). When I replied he should try to grow his hair long, he remained speechless... I also reminded him about this barrister friend o'mine (a metalhead barrister IS a must-see!!!!!), so he eventually got to the conclusion it would be much better for'im to drop it dead... (Guess the raise I need turned SF, but wadda heck!)
And when it comes to choices, I simply hate when someone wants to change mine. Especially when it's about hair choices. Besides, my very first post on this forum was on the 'Hair Politics' board (I replied at the 'Long Hair Slows the Brain' thread - something about forced haicuts, now legally imposed in North Korea), and I made it (after 4 or 5 years of browsing this website!) when I was in great anger
- just like I was on Thursday the 13th, after reading that post...

I am really sorry if I gave you a bad day, but there are some some attitudes (still refering to that hairdresser) I simply cannort accept...
------------------------

'I am what I am and I belong to nobody but myself' (Omar Khayyam)

-------------

Posted By: Renata22
Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:14pm

I love my stylist! She does only what I ask her to do to my hair, and usually cuts LESS than I expect to have cut (She truly TRIMS hair, not CUT it). She even GIVES ME some of her products to use if she thinks it will benefit my hair. For instance, I was clueless about "heat protectants" for blow-drying my hair. She said that I really needed it, and gave me enough for 3-4 blow dries to last until I bought my own heat protectant. And her brand cost 13.00 a bottle. I don't blow dry often, so I still have some.

She will also tell me what NOT to get if I want something that won't agree with my end goals. For instance, I was thinking about having my hair dyed light/ash brown. My hair is jet black. She told me that to have my hair lightened at all will require a booster that's usually some kind of bleach, and it will be very dry and brittle when it's longer. I thought about having my hair cut blunt: she showed me where my shortest layer was and said that I would have to cut off everything below it, and asked me if I was sure I wanted that much cut (I didn't). She then told me that layers were best for my hair because it's very thick and heavy, and the layers lightened it enough to not be overwhelming... she knows that I'm not crazy about having heavy hair on my neck much in the summertime.

Of course, I live in Atlanta, and there are 2 salons in nearly every mall, and maybe 4 or 5 salons in my neighborhood alone. She knows that if she screws my hair up, it would be way too easy to find another one soon. I found her by walking into her salon, and could just as easily walk into someone else's salon.

She's so good that I've decided to get a wash/deep-condition/trim every other month or so for a couple of months to see if it will help my hair growth. I know she uses quality products, because the products I see her use are ones I've researched myself (and didn't get because of the cost).

She does multi-ethnic hair: trims, conditions, perms, relaxers, texturizers, color, cuts. So if anyone wants to know how to get in touch with her, let me know.

My only complaint is that she's 30 minutes away. But she's good enough that I would rather go to her than to the salon just across the street.

-------------
Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!

Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Impaler Vlad Impaler Vlad wrote:

What about the freedom of speech? Have U forgot the First Amendment? If a short hair lover is entitled to be forthright, so is a short hair hater! I am sure a lot of people will hate me for my beliefs, but I'm allready used to it - I stoped caring about it decades ago... I also strongly belive long haired persons are entitled to resist BY ALL MEANS to ANY form of 'cut-your-hair' social pressures. BTW, 'Short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste' is one of my favorite answers to 'U'd look so much better with short hair'. The other one is: 'Definetly wrong - U are the one who should grow Ur hair long'. I know it doesn't make me very popular, but I also know I AM RIGHT.
This kind of pressures are threats against my personal freedom. Not only mine, actually. ALL long-haired persons, male and female, are subjected to pressures of this kind. (Check Melantha's post on the 'Hair Politics' board.) Why should we be tolerant with long hair haters, when they are not tolerant to us? And correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS the Long Hair Support board, not the Short Hair Support one.

You've completely missed the point.  Nobody has outlawed your freedom of speech.

If you are confronted by people who challenge you on your long hair, you are certainly welcome to reply to them in whatever manner you see fit.  As they will have expressed an irrational criticism of your hair, equal turnabout is only fair, I guess.

You also mistakenly believe that lhairfan31 was supporting you.  lhairfan31 was commenting directly on the topic, expressing their feeling that stylists are not supportive of long hair.

I might humbly suggest that you learn to channel your frustration in a more effective manner.  Don't you think there's something wrong when people who could/should be your LH supporters are questioning your tactics?  Think about it.

Date Posted: April 17 2006 at 9:04am
Is lecturing people    the only way U can feel a better person, Dave?

FAREWELL

-------------

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: April 17 2006 at 11:52am
As a moderator on the board, Dave has a duty to try and keep things peaceful and not let people get away with unfair or offensive comments. I'm sorry that this has flared up so much as I thought that you were a  nice (such an insipid word but the best I can think of this time) guy. You can hate short hair but most people on here hate it when people criticise their descision to have long hair. You certainly hate it so what gives you the right to decide that you are right and criticise all people who choose to keep their hair short?

To retutrn to the original topic, I believe it depends on the stylist but economically, short hair is much better for them.

-------------

28.02.06 34 inches
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43733 - Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Date Posted: April 17 2006 at 9:11pm

Insulting Dave reveals what type of person you truly are IV....I won't be sorry to see you go.

And Dave....

-------------

Posted By: lhairfan31
Date Posted: April 18 2006 at 8:37am
 Absolutely, no room on here for criticism.    Dave is a tremendous guy and Missrini is awesome!!    

Date Posted: April 18 2006 at 11:29am
We love you Dave  

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:12pm
Rini, lhairfan, PG -- Aww, thanks for the compliment and support, guys!  

Good luck and good fortune to you, ImpalerVlad.

-------------

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: April 22 2006 at 10:28am

Well, I know Dave doesn't need my support, but he is the moderator and his hard work should be appreciated by all. I've been the target of a few of his lectures, but so what? *Someone* has to draw the guidelines! The kind of board where the trashing of those whose POV's differ from yours is out there somewhere, IV. They are juvenile, but as everyone knows, adolescence extends indefinitely for some folks.

No, I don't think that many stylists support one's desire to grow long hair. In fact, I think that most will overtly or covertly undermine the client's yearning for it. One never hears a bunch of guys complaining that a woman's hair is "overpowering" or "unprofessional". Tresses are so beautiful on most women that I suspect that for monetary reasons, a sort of "groupthink" brainwashing takes place in beauty schools, possibly to the point where new licensees actually believe that proseletyzing for funky short cuts actually is doing clients a favor! Blessings, Bob

Posted By: brangwaen
Date Posted: May 19 2006 at 6:42pm
i'm beginning to develop a phobia about going into salons!  LoL.
my hair is about 38" long...  and they all come running.  stylists & clients alike. 
people love to touch it and play with it...  and then suggest ways to cut it!
go figure!

Date Posted: May 20 2006 at 1:20pm

Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Tresses are so beautiful on most women that I suspect that for monetary reasons, a sort of "groupthink" brainwashing takes place in beauty schools, possibly to the point where new licensees actually believe that proseletyzing for funky short cuts actually is doing clients a favor!

Ya think?  Why do you suppose it takes 1500 hours to train a new stylist?  A: Because that counter-intuitive message is so difficult to accept.

Originally posted by brangwaen brangwaen wrote:

i'm beginning to develop a phobia about going into salons!  LoL. my hair is about 38" long...  and they all come running.  stylists & clients alike.  people love to touch it and play with it...  and then suggest ways to cut it! go figure!

Welcome, brangwaen!  Your hair sounds lovely!  Sounds like you're experiencing your own twilight zone of irony.  Confused

-------------

Posted By: anne6000
Date Posted: May 20 2006 at 5:32pm
Not any I've been to!  My hair isn't even long at all compared to the pictures I've seen here.  Mine is just below my shoulders but the ends are kind of thin and wispy, and I have to admit that it really doesn't look that good, but I'm just hesitant to cut it.  I always hear things like So, how much do I get to cut off today? Or, How long are you going to hold on to this stuff?  It doesn't really suit you very well.  You need a short cut to bring out your high cheekbones.  Why do you still have long hair?  If you are serious about your career, you really need to cut it short.  Then my dear sweet mom:  Why don't you cut your hair?  That mop really covers up your beautiful face.

The pressures are really nasty.

Date Posted: May 21 2006 at 12:13pm
Wow, all horribly unsupportive comments.  Some snarky retorts (which you may not choose to voice next time you hear the criticism):

Jerk: So, how much do I get to cut off today?
You: So, how much of your nose do I get to cut off today?

Jerk: How long are you going to hold on to this stuff?
You: How long are you going to hold on to your nasty attitude toward my hair?

Jerk: It doesn't really suit you very well.
You: I like it, so it suits me.

or

You: Your rude attitude doesn't really suit you very well.

Jerk: You need a short cut to bring out your high cheekbones.
You: You need a new pair of glasses to improve your vision.

or

You: I think my high cheekbones are flattered very well by my current hairstyle.

Jerk: Why do you still have long hair?
You: Why do you still persist in talking me out of having long hair?

Jerk: If you are serious about your career, you really need to cut it short.
You: I am serious about my career.  That's why I focus on improving my technical effectiveness.

or

You: People who think that women jeopardize their careers by wearing long hair are stuck in the past millenium.

Your dear sweet mom: Why don't you cut your hair?  That mop really covers up your beautiful face.
You: Come on mom, get serious.  If my hair covered my face, I couldn't see.

or

You: I like my hair as it is.  Why won't you let me wear it as I want to?

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2006 at 1:19pm
Dave, you are just incredible!  I love your answers.  Can you imagine a stylist saying to someone with short hair "So, when are you gonna grow this stuff out?"   I don't see people with short hair being hassled the same way.  I think your last answer was really what I needed to hear.

You: I like my hair as it is.  Why won't you let me wear it as I want to?

Actually I don't think I do want to cut my hair short.  I'm still glad I did get a couple of inches cut off, because the ends really did need it, but it's my hair, and I own it, so why should I have to bend to the wishes of others?  Thank you very much to you and everyone here.  You are a great support!!

Date Posted: May 21 2006 at 7:35pm
Dave remind me not to ever p*ss you off ;)

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:28pm

Dave - great (and funny) post. Thanks for those apt responses. However, I don't think I'll be needing them in the future, as I have sworn off going to a stylist or salon for awhile. I think you know my experiences have all been pretty bad. Generally the stylist says something negative about both my color and my waves/curls. My sister (whose hair is similar to mine) goes to a good stylist down in the L.A. area - she calls him "the hair whisperer." I may have to check him out sometime when I'm visiting her!

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2006 at 5:08pm

Anne, you got that right.  It's hard, no, impossible for me to imagine a stylist making such a complaint.

Glad to hear that we were of help to you. Big smile

Miss Rini... LOL  no need to worry, you've always been very kind and respectful to me. Hug

Special Kitty, thank you.  Sometimes, even when you don't go to salons, criticisms float your way from well-intentioned (or, not so well-intentioned) acquaintances, family, colleagues, or strangers.  So it can't hurt to keep a few possible responses in the mental back pocket for future use. Smile  Your sister's stylist sounds like a winner.  Details, please, if you ever visit with this "hair whisperer."

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:15am
Originally posted by SpecialKitty SpecialKitty wrote:

oh, and PurpleBubba is always so supportive, he's a stylist, right?

Hi SK,

I went to Cosmetology School but I only went 800 of the 1500 hours so I'm not a stylist.
I don't know if or when I will finish.

and while I'm at it I'll answer the thread.

I don't recall any stylists trying to suggest that I get my hair cut. Other than when I walked in and sometimes they would ask if I was cutting it. Often times it was someone other than my stylist who was asking so they could have been a customer and not a stylist.

For me the story goes like this.
I walk into a salon. I wait for someone to ask me if they can help me. Because often times there is no receptionist. I then say I'd like a half inch trim. I'm not even in the chair yet and I've said what I want specifically.
Then when it's my turn they ask me again and I repeat that I want a half inch trim. I was not very picky about it. If they had done a whole inch I probably wouldn't have noticed. All of my visits were decent and I was given what I asked for. Or close enough that I didn't notice anything wrong.

I have not had a salon trim since 2000 because I now use Feye's Self Trimming.

Note: When I was visiting salons my hair was somewhere between 20 & 25 inches. I'm now around 36" and although I'm tempted to give a salon a try I am hesitant to do so because my hair is longer. And back when I was going before salons did not know about these hair donation charities. I'm sure that if I tried a salon now they would have at least one person who would ask if I'm donating. And I have no plans to do so at this time.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: Pink Cutie
Date Posted: June 14 2006 at 12:29pm
Oh,  many of the stylists I've been to try to either convince me to chop my hair off (it's healthy and falls to my butt) or cut more than I specified. That drives me crazy cause I love, love my long hair. It's even kept me away from the chair for months and months at a time. Now I'll only let a long haired stylist touch me. Luckily, my new hairstylist has long hair she cherishes also so she respects my wishes. Big smile I think it takes a long-haired girl to understand how special long hair is. That's another reason I loved going to male stylists before I found Kristine. Men don't dare cut off more than you want!

-------------
<3 Danielle XOX

current hair: down, nice and wavy thanks to the braid!

Date Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Pink Cutie Pink Cutie wrote:

Men don't dare cut off more than you want!

You may not have met any, but they definitely exist, because I've known a few!  In fact, I've probably had more male stylists cut more off than I've asked than female stylists.  One guy I used to go to really did a great job at cutting hair, but no matter what I said, he always did what he wanted.  I usually asked for 1/2" trims.  Sometimes he thought that's what my hair needed, so he only cut that much, but other times, he thought the ends were much too thin, so he'd cut off 2 or 3 inches, no kidding.  When I asked him about it, he said that the ends were damaged and that I needed more cut off.  Angry  Just my opinion, but I think the attitude of the person, rather than the gender or length of hair, plays a bigger role in how the stylist respects longer hair.

Posted By: Claude
Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 10:39am
Alright, ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT!!!

I can't take the negativity in this thread after reading it.

So many negative opinions on HairStylists it makes me sad.

As a Professional HairStylist I am going to toss my 2 cents into this thread.

First off there are bad doctors, bad dentists, bad contractors, bad employees are in every single profession out there. I'd be interested to know where many of your bad experiences with HairStylists come from? Were they from Chain Salons like Fantastic Sam's, Hair Cuttery, SuperCuts, Regis, Smart Style......I bet many of them were!

In those chain salons their pay and incentives are based on the total dollars they do for the week.....

$0 - $500 = 40% commission
500-$999 - 45% commission
1000-1500 - 50% commission

and so forth.....

Most stylists are young and fail to see the big picture and the long term goal of building their clientel, taking their time and then moving onto booth rental or their own salon in the future. Those are the types of stylists that usually suffer burnout and are gone from the industry in the first few years of working it.

I can only speak for myself but as a stylist I make every effort to make sure every client is happy with their hairstyle before leaving my chair and communication is the key.

Sometimes when a customer sits in my chair I can see the look of fear or dread in their eyes as I toss the cape on them and they're nerves are on end. These are the people that are probably similar to most of you and they loose their train of thought or what they were coming in here for....maybe they wanted to try a new style or whatever but they completely have a mental meltdown for fear of the stylist cutting too much hair, so as a stylist I hafta almost perform Hairapy and talk these customers outta shock and discuss with them what they want to do. I hafta quell their fears and earn their trust and it takes time....many customers are always skeptics until a desired result is achieved.

I don't think it's any HairStylist's intention to give someone a haircut they don't want or don't like but communication is the key.

If you are nervous one of the things you can do is ask the stylist after they cut the first section or first snip of the shears if you could see what they are taking off because you are nervous after your last haircut. HairStylists are not offended by this and usually are more than willing to show you so you don't go through the whole haircut fearful of the end results. We can tell when your nervous, HairStylists want nothing more than to earn your trust so you don't leave with a haircut you hate and be disappointed and loose trust in all HairStylists. There are good ones out there you just got to find them, stick with them, and tip them well. Avoid chain salons like the plague if you want better results!

That's my 2 cents!

And don't hate HairStylists just find a better one if you don't like the one you have now!Tongue

As for stylists not liking long hair...well lets just say it's harder to work with long hair so IMO the haircuts should cost more money for longer hair, especially if they want it blow dried, etc because it takes time and time is money! I love long hair, I love short hair....I love hair period just the fact that I can take a beautiful women and make her more beautiful it's rewarding to see someone look at your work and say wow she looks even more beautiful than before! That's a cool feeling.

So don't be hatin all HairStylists out there.

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 12:21pm
Hi Claude,

Thank you for your response.  Many of us, too, are sad that we have had unpleasant experiences at salons.  Personally, I've been mostly quite fortunate, but I have had a bad experience or two.

I've generally heard that salons/stylists that specialize in "upscale/trendy" looks tend to be the least supportive of long hair.  A prime example is Tony and Guy.  I've also heard that the stylists at some of the cheapo chains generally do a good job, since they prefer simplicity (and trimming a straight blunt line on long hair isn't terribly challenging).

The key seems to be the stylist's perspective of the client.  Some think: "A lump of clay I can mold to express my artistic capabilities!"  Others think: "I will do whatever my customer wants because I want a happy client."  Sometimes, for some people, there is no contradiction between the perspectives.  For others (especially the long-haired, who wish to remain that way), there is a world of difference.

I sense that you are a respectful and proficient stylist, and the industry needs more stylists like you.  But the industry also needs to include long hair training in its mandatory educational curriculum... things such as "how to untangle long hair," "how to wash long hair without snarling it up," and "how to style long hair" (and I don't mean with scissors, I mean updo's, braids, and the like).  Claude, do you think there's a chance the industry will ever embrace this need (that is currently going begging)?

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 1:27pm

Thanks for the compliments. It's funny because I know the mentality of some of the stylists you make mention of and in talking to them, many have the attitude of if your over 30 or over 40 you can't have long hair and have it look beautiful. I totally disagree with that theory as I know people of all ages who can have beautiful, long healthy hair.....I think in our society there is a tendancy to think once a women hits a certain milestone age or has a life altering experience like the birth of a child they should just go for the typical mommy hairdo's etc.

I disagree 100%!

As for long hair training it comes with experience. A stylist should always comb the hair with a widetooth comb or pick and start at the ends and work their way up to the roots. Many times hair snarls because the cuticle of the hair strand is damaged and that's the main cause of snarls in any hair....at any length. As for the industry embracing styling long hair....it's hard to say. Many of you with photos here have EXTREMELY long and I mean long hair. If you came to me for a haircut I would have you stand up while I did it...LOL!LOL

Stylists can do updo's, braids and stuff like that on what I would call extremely long hair...(Mid back or longer) however when most customers get quoted prices for the updo's or braids they go into sticker shock! I know some salons that charge per inch for an updo. The longer the hair the more for the updo. Typically for an updo on the average long haired person...below shoulder length but not longer than mid-back is $55-$65....some salons even charge more....I certainly don't have a problem working with long hair. Braids well they are easy and inexpesive to do....most salons charge between $5-10 for a nice braid...just go in and ask.

I also think when alot of stylists see someone with hair mid back or longer they see the Cousin It image where it does nothing but just hangs and in some cases it does detract from a person's overall image....many times they almost seem to be hiding with all that hair around them. Bringing up the length to mid back or slightly shorter and adding some long layers within 2-3 inches from the perimeter of the haircut can allow someone to flip out the bottom of the hair to give some flair or instead of having a blunt straight line cut which IMHO is one of the most bland looking haircuts have it cut into more of a rounded scoop shape to give the hair some more movement so it doesn't just hang.

Hey what someone wants to do or how they want to look is their own business I just make it my business to accommodate someone's requests as a HairStylist when they come to see me.

Oh well here's to happy hair days for all!!!Clap

Cheers!

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:25pm
Hey Claude...if I ever did decide to go to a stylist again, then I'd want one just like you!!!

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2006 at 7:13pm
Hi Claude,

A few comments....

Originally posted by Claude Claude wrote:

As for long hair training it comes with experience

Yes, unfortunately it gets no time within the initial curriculum, typically 1500 hours... isn't there at least a little room within all those hours for some long hair training?

Many of you with photos here have EXTREMELY long and I mean long hair. If you came to me for a haircut I would have you stand up while I did it...LOL!LOL

Indeed, that's what I (and others I know whose hair is similarly long) have to do.  And that's okay with me (and them).  no problem. Smile

I also think when alot of stylists see someone with hair mid back or longer they see the Cousin It image where it does nothing but just hangs and in some cases it does detract from a person's overall image....many times they almost seem to be hiding with all that hair around them. Bringing up the length to mid back or slightly shorter and adding some long layers within 2-3 inches from the perimeter of the haircut can allow someone to flip out the bottom of the hair to give some flair or instead of having a blunt straight line cut which IMHO is one of the most bland looking haircuts have it cut into more of a rounded scoop shape to give the hair some more movement so it doesn't just hang.

We've returned to the "who gets their way" thing.  The stylist might think the client is nuts for wanting their waist-length hair trimmed in a straight blunt line, but the client is one the one buying the service.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the boss (the client) should get what they want.  The general workplace would be anarchy if the subordinates had their way.

Hey what someone wants to do or how they want to look is their own business I just make it my business to accommodate someone's requests as a HairStylist when they come to see me.

Yay! Clap

Posted By: vivek
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 6:40am
I too had the same experience. When u people had such experience, imagine a guy to have a long full length hair. My hairdresser insists that i should reduce the lenght of my hair. Im 6 feet tall and have hair upto my waist. But the hair dresser wants to reduce the lenght of my hair and also advices me to make frequent visits and trimm the hair every 3 weeks.

In fact he says that for such a length, only plaits will be suitable.

Ur suggestions on wearing plaits.

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 6:57am
Vivek, stay away from that stylist and salon. Those people you mentioned in this and the other threads sound like they don't know what they are saying.

The only hairstyles that require trims that frequent are really short styles that need to be reshaped or kept short.

As for long hair you can go anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. And some go over a year.

Many of us also trim our own hair using Feye's instructions
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

I personally have not worn plaits or braids in public but there are some who wear them or buns. If You want to wear them then you can. It's up to you. Not some barber or stylist who sounds like they don't care about you or your hair.

Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by vivek vivek wrote:

I too had the same experience. When u people had such experience, imagine a guy to have a long full length hair. My hairdresser insists that i should reduce the lenght of my hair. Im 6 feet tall and have hair upto my waist. But the hair dresser wants to reduce the lenght of my hair and also advices me to make frequent visits and trimm the hair every 3 weeks.

In fact he says that for such a length, only plaits will be suitable.

Ur suggestions on wearing plaits.
No need to imagine, I have that hair.

Your hairdresser doesn't live inside your body and your head.  Your hairdresser seems intent on bending your mind.  Whose interests would you rather serve -- theirs, or yours?

Wear your hair any way you want.  To the best of my knowledge, long hair on men is only outlawed by dictators (N. Korea) and certain hard-line Islamic theocracies, so as long as you don't live where it's outlawed, do what you want.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2006 at 10:11am
Dave

Is that ur photo of hair. My goodness it is gorgeous. it is really good. I have a length of around 32 inches. But still what u have is gorgeous.

I really love u

Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:11pm
Yep, that's my hair.   Thank you for your compliment.

Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:58pm
Hai dave

Nice to interact in this forum. I would again like to complement u for your hair. Iam sure it is difficult to see a male with a long and beautiful hair. U r a great source of inspiration for men like me with long hair. I live in a country where there are little takers for long hair for men .

How do you manage the passes and comments in ? i find it difficult

Also please suggest on some plait/bun styles for me

Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:58pm

Yep, that's my hair.   Thank you for your compliment.

Dave if you ever decide to cut it and I'm not trying to encourage you here but......go for the World's Record MULLET

Date Posted: July 01 2006 at 2:31pm
Claude - I've seen a few women who have similarly long hair but with short layers on top.  Not a look I'm particularly fond of, but to each their own.

Posted By: auramae
Date Posted: July 12 2006 at 11:30am
I just found this forum today and have only read this topic, so forgive me if my post encompasses issues discussed elsewhere.

I am a hairdresser (of almost 20 years) and salon owner.  I have plenty of opinions about long hair.  (In fact I have so many opinions in genereal that I wrote a book!)

Here goes: 

As an artist, I want to do work that is attractive.  Some long hair is prettier than others.  I love to do formal hairdressing on pretty long hair.  But if the hair is trashed (due to outside influence or just because you weren't blessed) it is harder to make it look pretty.

I have fine, crappy hair that starts to disintegrate at about bra-strap length.   When it gets that long, it clings to my face and I look like Morticia Addams. I am a chubby girl, and most people agree that the look is unattractive.  For me, long hair is anything past my shoulders.  For my clients, it can be down to the floor for all I care, as long as it is pretty!

I have a male client with a waist-length mullet.  He comes in every 8 weeks. 

I have female clients with waist length hair and because the hair fills up the shampoo bowl, it becomes tangled, then I have to spend a long time detangling it, before I even get to it with the shears.  (To me a "cut" and  a "trim" are the same thing.  I open and close my shears: that's what I call a haircut.)

To avoid this dillema, most of my longest haired clients come in with freshly-washed, still damp hair.  I can spray more water if I need to get an even result, and they are spared the drama of the shampoo bowl.  Also, if I can spend less time on their hair, they can spend less money. (Shampoo, cut and dry: $50.  Dry cut: $25) Win-Win.

I do have the clients stand, (feet comfortably apart, hands on the back of the chair) while I cut.  Otherwise I would have to sit on the floor. (And do you have any idea how filthy that floor is?!)

I like to trim the visible split ends that pop out in the interior of the hair as well as keeping the perimeter clean and even.

I suggest that clients who want to increase the length of their hair return for to the salon 4 times a year. (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall)  Mostly because they can remember what season it is better that how many weeks ago they visited the salon.

Also, those of you who are boycotting the salon are missing out on what we call "Hairapy".  The feeling of community and support that comes when a group of people come together to make one another feel better about how they look and about life in general.  The salon is a great place to talk out the troubles in your life.  Having a battle with your tween-aged daughter about what clothes are appropriate?  Chances are someone else in the salon (client or staff) has been through it and has some advice.

When polled, people worldwide comment that what they enjoy most about the visit to the salon has very little to do with the actual hair services they pay for. They appreciate the intangibles.  The banter, the music, the people, the experience.  If you are riddled with anxiety, you are missing out on these things!

To pick a salon that is a good match for you, go visit some.  Pop in and look at the products they sell, and scope out the people working and visiting.  Does the salon look like "your kind of place?"  Talk to the receptionist (if available) or a hairdresser and ask them if one person in the salon has more long-haired clients than the others.  Get a feel for the hairdressers as people.  If you get along with them and feel comfortable, then you should be less anxious when you go in, and more likely to develop a relationship with someone who understands your needs.

Most hairdressers with more than 10 years experience have enough clients to keep them comfortably busy.  They don't need to push you to come in more often than you need.  Their chairs are filled with high-maintenance color clients on a 3-6 week rotation.  They are the bread and butter clients.  You are the garnish!

-------------
Get Some Hairapy - a hairdresser's prescription for happiness

Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 5:19am
Originally posted by auramae auramae wrote:

I suggest that clients who want to increase the length of their hair return for to the salon 4 times a year. (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall)  Mostly because they can remember what season it is better that how many weeks ago they visited the salon.

Also, those of you who are boycotting the salon are missing out on what we call "Hairapy".  The feeling of community and support that comes when a group of people come together to make one another feel better about how they look and about life in general.  The salon is a great place to talk out the troubles in your life.  Having a battle with your tween-aged daughter about what clothes are appropriate?  Chances are someone else in the salon (client or staff) has been through it and has some advice.

When polled, people worldwide comment that what they enjoy most about the visit to the salon has very little to do with the actual hair services they pay for. They appreciate the intangibles.  The banter, the music, the people, the experience.  If you are riddled with anxiety, you are missing out on these things!

Firstly, I just want to say "welcome"  and thank you for taking the time to post that response.

The reason I have put part of your post above is because I just want to comment on a couple of things. 

Firstly, can you explain why you would suggest clients come in for a trim 4 times a year if they want to increase the length of their hair?  If a client's hair is in good condition, no splits, with an even hemline (if that is the look they are going for), then surely once a year or less would suffice?  Also, if you are removing less length, then the client will see a greater gain in length for that year.

Secondly, I have never had better "hairapy" than what I get from hanging out on my favourite hair boards.  I have made some wonderful friends and we talk about all sorts of things: kids, beauty, natural health, religion, politics, alternative lifestyles....oh...and sometimes hair!   I don't feel as if I am missing out on anything.

Again, welcome and it will be great to hear your perspective as a stylist on some of our topics

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 8:25am
missrini,

I suppose it is possible for a person to have hair in good condition, with no splits and an even hemline for more than a year, but I have not myself observed that. 

I read more of this forum yesterday after my post and I'm sure I don't  have to tell you that the average person in today's society is not following the guidelines suggested.  (Hell, I can't even convince some people that if your hair isn't dirty, it doesn't need to be routinely washed!)

Certainly if a person is not causing any thermal or physical stress to their hair, they would experience fewer split ends, etc.  (Assuming, of course that we are not talking about someone with inherently weak hair.)

Is there a place on the site that discusses the hair growth cycle of growth, rest & shed?  That can play a huge role in the possible length your hair can attain.  Some people's growth phase is considerably longer than others.  The current belief is still that average hair growth is 1/2 a month.  I am sure you all have known people well under and well over that average.  I know people that it takes 12 weeks to get a half an inch of new growth at the scalp.

Also, I assume that somewhere on the forum is a thorough discussion of "henna" with lots of info about the different ways that term is marketed and the possible downside of some "henna" products.

The biggest challenge to hair growth that I see in the real world of the 21st century is the impact stress and poor diet have on our overall health.  Any nutients ingested go first to critical functions (like heart, brain & lungs) and what ever is left can be distributed among the other body functions.  Hair, skin and nails are at the bottom of the totem pole.

I am glad that you experience a feeling of community with this forum and I hope that your physical world is also filled with loving, supportive folk. 
We are tribal by nature and everyone deserves to feel that they belong somewhere!

Have a magnificent summer!

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 2:28pm
Hello Auramae, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and your perspective as a hair stylist.

I'd like to know about the book you wrote.  If you prefer not to publicize its title, might you be willing to PM me with that info?

Regarding the concept of "hairapy" I agree that it can be received within friendly confines, be it a supportive salon and stylists, as well as within talk forums on the www.  IMO, both together can be better than either one alone.  Unfortunately, I think many people have been frightened away due to bad experiences.  For some people, it only takes one unpleasant visit, and then all salons have lost a customer for the life of the customer.

To pick a salon that is a good match for you, go visit some.  Pop in and look at the products they sell, and scope out the people working and visiting.  Does the salon look like "your kind of place?"

Meaning no disrespect, but almost every salon that I've ever seen does not look like "my" kind of place.  Oversized photos of professional models with short cuts, clippings on the floor, short hair magazines in the waiting area, and clients with only short hair, do not an inviting salon make (to me, anyway).  I have been to a few salons that specialize in long hair, and the mere existence of other long-haired clients sure makes them feel more like "my" kind of place.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 3:19pm
As for "your type of salon", I am inclined to think that most of you would be most comfortable in a smaller, more intimate salon where people are individuals than in a large "hip" salon where everyone is sheep-like in their sameness. 

The bottom line is this: hair is a personal expression of who you are and how you want the world to perceive you.  If a client wants a hairstyle that I think would be unattractive on them, I explain why and make alternate suggestions.  If they REALLY want it and it won't cause undo damage to the hair, then I do what I am told.  (I won't do chemical work that will compromise the hair, no matter how much someone wants it.  I like to sleep nights and can't do that if I am busy praying that the client's hair stays connected to their head!)

If we all looked aike, the world would be a terribly boring (and possibly frightful) place!

Vive la differance!

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:30pm

Meaning no disrespect, but almost every salon that I've ever seen does not look like "my" kind of place.  Oversized photos of professional models with short cuts, clippings on the floor, short hair magazines in the waiting area, and clients with only short hair, do not an inviting salon make (to me, anyway).

All I can say is......BINGO!  I never put that thought into words, but that's exactly it for me.  Although many in the short hair forum would vehemently disagree, most salons have a "You need a short haircut" look to them.  As you said, hair on the floor, almost everyone has a short haircut, the posters of the latest short hair trend, and lots of magazines for you to choose a new short haircut.

That's great for some people, and they feel comfortable.  But as someone who doesn't want short hair, you almost feel like you're walking into a public restroom for someone of the opposite sex -- very, very uncomfortable!  (Okay, yes, I admit that I once did it by mistake and nearly died of embarrassment)

My hair length is a small fraction of Dave's.  If I'm uncomfortable there, I can't imagine what kind of feelings someone with much long hair would get.  There is one situation that happened several years ago that I'll never forget.  I was getting my hair trimmed in a salon and a woman with much longer hair walked in.  The stylists all kind of hungrily looked over and one said, "Well now, what do we have here?!"  Someone else said, "I'd really love to get my scissors on that head of hair."  My hair was medium-long, about bra length, and I just cringed and wanted to run out of the place.

I've never been to a salon that catered to people with long hair or those wanting to grow it longer, but it sounds like a complete change from the mainstream!

Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:36pm
Hi,

I agree with Dave and Anne.  Ironically, the safest place I have felt with my (to the very tip top of my thighs) length hair is at a recent photo shoot with my friend - celeb hairdresser Ken Paves.  There were other celeb hairdressers there but he cut them off at the pass and immediately complimented my hair to them (and he is their boss).  He said...doesn't she have gorgeous long hair?  I had been a little nervous because I knew that there would be several hairdressers at the shoot and I was worried with all the hair flying that someone might try and pressure me to check out some scissors.  In fact, the producer of the shoot had bra strap hair and they surrounded her and started sniping away.  It turned out that she had hair extensions...so no harm...no foul.

Because I am so uncomfortable in traditional salons (at the last one I went to two of the hairdressers harrassed me about my hair for a number of reasons) that I have a hairdresser come to HairBoutique.com to trim my ends.  She is long hair friendly and never hassles me.  She cuts my hair at my desk.  :-)  Yes I am spoiled but I want to protect my hair.

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:25pm
Hmmmm, interesting discussion. I guess my overall experience with stylists and hairdressers has just not been what I would describe as "Hairapy." I agree with Rini, the best "hairapy" I've received is on this and other boards. But I think there are likely great stylists who are supportive of long hair (or different hair types). I've just never met one. Anyway, like Dave, I would be interested in your book, Auramae. Welcome to the board!

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 7:18pm

Bummer...I thought I left this post, but I don't see it.  Forgive me if it shows up twice!

********Admin Team Note***********

If you wish to get more info on the name of the book, the website where to buy it or other details please bmail this person privately.

To post it here violates our directive against advertising of any products or services. It has been edited out due to our posting guidelines.

Thanks,
HB Admin Team

I guess the only answer I have is that some plumbers/electricians/cooks are better than others, too.  I don't believe that all of them are awful any more than I believe that all hairdressers are.  (Just foolish humans who occasionally say or do something stupid.)If a client comes in and asks for something that I think will be unattractive, I explain to them why I think that and offer some alternatives.  If they are dead set, then I do what I am told.  (This applies only to cutting. If someone wants a chemical service that I think will compromise the integrity of their hair, I say no.  I have some professional ethics that I can't be talked out of.)When a client tells me they are growing their hair longer, I make a deal with them.  The first time they come back complaining about what a PITA it is to grow out their hair and how much they hate it, I talk them out of it and we go on with the plan.  If they continue to hate it over repeated visits, then I will cut it shorter.  (It's kind of like not letting your kid quit piano lessons the first time they gripe about it!)I really don't think that hairdressers, as a whole, have a strong opinion about hair length.   Much like society as a whole, there are some jerks and some great people.   Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:46pm
Hi Auramae,

I don't think anyone here at all would agree that all hairdressers are evil!  However, I think that many of us have found that, as a general rule, stylists often aren't educated or experienced in styling long hair.  When someone has taken a lot of care in growing hair, just a snide comment or a bad experience at the salon can turn a lot of people off.

One other experience that came to mind.  One time I was just getting a trim, and for fun, the stylist was going to put my hair in some kind of an updo (I've forgotten exactly what it was).  My hair was 4 or 5 inches below my shoulders, so it wasn't terribly long at all.  The stylist was somehow wrapping my hair around but had some extra hair that for some reason didn't fit in the updo.  She said she didn't know what to do with it.  In the next chair was a woman, probably in her fifties, overweight, getting her poodle haircut, and she said, "Just cut that sucker of a tail off!!" and then she roared with laughter, as did everyone else.  I smiled meekly, extremely proud of myself that I didn't dare say what I really wanted, which was "Why is that old, ugly women seem to want to cut off the hair of young, beautiful women?  You had your chance, lady, and you obviously blew it...."

Of course, that wasn't a stylist who uttered the odd comment, but little incidents like those just kind of add to the feeling that salons are really for women with short hair or else women with long hair who want short hair.

I wish cosmetology schools had more education for dealing with (lots of....) hair!

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 11:16pm
Sorry for the violation.  I was answering a request and did not mean to violate policies.  If anyone has any questions about my book or my business they can PM me.

Re: anne6000:  I would say that the average hairdresser has no less experience with long hair than they do with curly or fine or thinning hair.  Pity the poor cosmetology graduate.   The states mandate that we have a certain number of hours of instruction (usually 1500-2000) and in that time the school can barely teach us how not to maim or mutilate someone.  There is really very little time to teach artistry and nuance.  All of that has to be done in the real world and usually takes years of on the job training (and a certain amount of natural talent to match with the learned skills.)
That is why people with more years of experience usually have a larger clientelle.  They have built a business by satisfying customers more often than not.  Often people seek out a hairdresser with hair like them (curly, fine, etc.)  I think the reason there are fewer hairdressers with (let's call it extra-long) long hair is that we see so many new styles every day and we stannd in front of a mirror for 8-12 hours a day and we get bored!  There is always some cute new style or color and we can't wait to try it on ourselves!

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:26am

I think the reason there are fewer hairdressers with (let's call it extra-long) long hair is that we see so many new styles every day and we stannd in front of a mirror for 8-12 hours a day and we get bored!  There is always some cute new style or color and we can't wait to try it on ourselves!

I think most of us love to try new hairstyles!  However, it's my impression that a new style to a beautician almost always involves cutting, and to those with longer hair, it involves literally styling the hair differently without cutting -- straightening, curling, various updos, hair jewelry, changing the part of the hair, and other ideas that involve different styling without cutting.  And that may lie in part of the sometimes miscommunication between stylists and clients.  So, when a stylist hears the words "new look," or "I'd like a change" what may often be the first thing in mind is a reduction in hair length rather than just a different style.

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:28am
Thank you for understanding about our policies.  If we let them slide at all - even a tiny bit - almost instantaneously - we are covered in advertising posts and things quickly get out of hand. 

We are happy for people to socialize their products and related offerings but to keep it clean...PM is always the best route.

Welcome to the boards.  I appreciate your insights from behind the chair.

Thanks again.
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:01am
anne, I think you may be on to something here.  I think as hairdressers we assume that if you are asking us for a new look, you are asking for a change in cut, color or texture, not for styling ideas. 

Perhaps it could be better communicated by asking:  "I have been wearing my hair in these styles (list) and I was wondering if you had any ideas how else I could style it without changing the cut?"  There are some great booKs with long hair styles.  Martin Parsons does some great ones with good instructions.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:11am
While I agree that Martin does a great job, we used to carry his videos...like we still do Patrick Cameron's (because he was one of our very first vendors almost 10 years ago in our e-store). 

Unfortunately, we had a lot of returns on the videos because consumers consistently told us that the styles were beautiful but "too complex" for average hair consumers.  Even Patricks...which are lovely...because non-pros have a hard time duplicating the styles.

In my humble opinion I think that is one possible danger when consumer buy some of the videos that are out there.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:15am

anne, I think you may be on to something here.  

I'd love to take credit!  But I really can't.  I read it somewhere but cannot remember exactly where.  I think it may have been on Hair Boutique here somewhere.  I do, however, think communication between people in all areas of life would be much improved if we'd speak more specifically and focused when trying to communicate what we want to say, especially an idea that really needs a clear definition.

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:24am
The brutal reality about styling long hair is that it will always be easier for someone else to do it than to do it yourself.  That is why, for milennia, women who could afford it had someone on staff to dress their hair.  Simple logistics state that I can reach better because I am above and behind you and your arms can only reach so far...
If you want to try a new style, it really helps to do it the way I used to when I was a teenager and had slumber parties.  Play with each other's hair and come up with new styles in a group (even one buddy is helpful!)

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:55pm

The bottom line is this: hair is a personal expression of who you are and how you want the world to perceive you.  If a client wants a hairstyle that I think would be unattractive on them, I explain why and make alternate suggestions.  If they REALLY want it and it won't cause undo damage to the hair, then I do what I am told. 

I say this unemotionally... I find it curious that your approach seems to involve a test of the degree with which the client is firm in their resolve to get what they want... and they get that only if they are firm.  Otherwise, you find it appropriate to sway their opinion.

I guess the only answer I have is that some plumbers/electricians/cooks are better than others, too.  I don't believe that all of them are awful any more than I believe that all hairdressers are.

I sense that you have missed the point.  Nobody is questioning the technical competency of the skills in which hairstylists are trained.  The point seems to be that stylists are taught (in school... and beyond?) that the guidelines for hairstyles matching face shape are to be fastidiously applied.  Those of us with long and very long hair, who would merely want such services as shampooing, scalp massage, deep conditioning, trims, and hairdressing, are discouraged from considering going to salons for these services when the atmosphere is hostile to our aims (yes, the "hungry" stylists described by Anne are not uncommon).  Many of us feel that we (and our wishes for the above services) are not treated with respect - so why bother going to the salon at all?  The way I see it, there is a huge potential in professionally and respectfully catering to the long and very-long haired, and the salon industry in general has turned their back to this potential market.

The states mandate that we have a certain number of hours of instruction (usually 1500-2000) and in that time the school can barely teach us how not to maim or mutilate someone.

I can't begin to imagine why this generous amount of time could not be used more efficiently and effectively.

There is really very little time to teach artistry and nuance.

Most of the services that the long and very-long haired might request are technical skills.  Hairdressing could be considered both technical and artistic.

I think the reason there are fewer hairdressers with (let's call it extra-long) long hair is that we see so many new styles every day and we stannd in front of a mirror for 8-12 hours a day and we get bored!  There is always some cute new style or color and we can't wait to try it on ourselves!

Boredom is in the control of the individual.  And sometimes, I suspect, the way it's alleviated in salons is to apply these new things to willing clients.  Have we come back to my aforementioned litmus test of firmness here?

The brutal reality about styling long hair is that it will always be easier for someone else to do it than to do it yourself.  That is why, for milennia, women who could afford it had someone on staff to dress their hair.  Simple logistics state that I can reach better because I am above and behind you and your arms can only reach so far...

Hairdressing services offered to the very-long haired would be a great market to serve...

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 2:23pm
Hi Dave,

I agree with you on many of your points.  I even agreed that hairdressing services offered to the very-long haired like you and me would be a great market to serve

BUT................................................................

As a businesswoman who is constantly thinking about the bottom line....I know that even though very long haired hairdressing services would be a great market to serve.....it would not be financially rewarding for the person offering the services if all they served was very long hair.

Just as a doctor who buzzes in and out of patient rooms every 8 minutes makes a lot more than the doctor that spends 1 hour per patient, time is money.  And long hair takes a lot of time to care for on a professional level if it not just a tiny trim.

I am not saving it's right for hairdressers to shun long hair clients or that it is right for doctors to rush through their patient visits.  In fact, I look for doctors who will give me one hour and hairdressers that will treat my long hair with respect and care (hard to find).

To be really great with long hair like a Martin Parsons, Barbara Lhotan or Patrick Cameron, they had to spend years and years of study and practice.  They invested in the development of their knowledge base.  So when they want to charge $250 for working on someone's long hair, they are in essence also charging for all the investment that they made to get to that point.  How many people are willing to plop down $250 for their long hair?  Maybe some but definitely not the majority.

Ken Paves charges $4,500 per day or many hundreds for just a haircut. He is currently considered one of the top 10 hairdressers in the US.  I have watched him work for years.  He is worth every penny.

Sally Hershberger I believe charges $600 for a haircut and she doesn't wash your hair or blow dry it.  She just does the cut...which may take all of 10 minutes.  Yet again, she is charging for her 25 years as an expert and the fact that she has created award winning haircuts for her celeb clients.

This whole topic is just one of those difficult life situations that I never seem to find the perfect answer to.  I understand both sides of the situation.  Would I spend $250 on my long hair?  Probably not.  It is healthy and never needs more than a good trim.  I spend a lot on treating it myself.  Would I pay $250 to have it treated at the salon?  Again, probably not.  I refuse to spend more than a certain amount for spa treatments.  It just seems to be too much.

As a side note, I personally know two former long hair experts that stopped working on long hair because it was not financially rewarding to them (all of the issues I mentioned above).  They now both do hair extensions (which is very financially rewarding).  Which is ironic in a big way.  :-)

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 2:24pm
I guess I have just never worked in a place where there was anyone with an agenda about hair length.  Nor have I worked anywhere we would do more than was asked.  If someone comes in for a scalp massage and shamppo, that's what we give them.

Hairdressing is absolutley a technical skill and an art.  Successful hairdressers are able to balance both.  Many are not (which may explain why the average income for hairstylists in the US is $20K.)  Washing, conditioning and combing long hair is a skill.  Dressing long hair is an art.  Some hairdressers are great artists and yet can screw up hair in a heartbeat because they don't have any idea of what not to do.

Cosmetology students only get to practivce on clients who come in.  If all the clients they do at beauty school have short hair, that is where they will have experience.

As for "willing clients", we have no dissagreement.  If the client is willing and the stylist is willing, where is the problem?  Some of my clients like purple hair and some don't.  I don't try to talk every one into purple hair.

I only try to talk people out of what they asked if I REALLY think it will look bad or be something they are unwilling to maintain.  If they have already thought through all the possible problems and still want it then I would do it.  I think it would come under the label of informed consent. (Again, barring compromising the integrity of the hair.)

I fail to see how waist legth (or floor length) is differrent from bra strap length if we are talking about face shape.  If it all hangs behind your shoulders, it doesn't impact the face.

If you want a green mohawk, I will do at (AFTER talking through all the possible downsides) the same as if you want to cut bangs if you haven't had them before.  We talk things through and come to an agreement.  That's why they call it a consultation.

Hairdressers and clients are in relationships.  Just like if you want your love or family relationships to thrive, you have to be honest and supportive.  You can do both in balance.  I have clients that I have been seeing for almost 20 years.  Through different hairstyles and different lifestyles. 

We grow together or we grow apart, just like every other relationship in your life.

The first step to being able to cater to the very long haired folk would be for someone to design a shampoo bowl that wouldn't force the hair to be balled up.  I think this is where alot of the discomfort arises.  If I make it a knotted mess when I shampoo it, it isn't going to be very pleasant when I have to comb it out.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

As a side note, I personally know two former long hair experts that stopped working on long hair because it was not financially rewarding to them (all of the issues I mentioned above).  They now both do hair extensions (which is very financially rewarding).  Which is ironic in a big way.  :-)
Hi Karen, I recently read about the profitability of servicing the wants and needs of "the tail" of the distribution curve of demand.  The primary example given was of CD's sold by Wal-Mart (~50,000 titles) and amazon (millions of titles).  The message is that it is very profitable for amazon to cater to the non-mainstream.  Perhaps in this case, it's just a matter of product (or in this case, service) delivery that is the hang-up.  Of course, I don't personally know anybody who's willing to pay $250 for an updo, either.

Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 4:24pm

Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Hi Karen, I recently read about the profitability of servicing the wants and needs of "the tail" of the distribution curve of demand.  The primary example given was of CD's sold by Wal-Mart (~50,000 titles) and amazon (millions of titles).  The message is that it is very profitable for amazon to cater to the non-mainstream.  Perhaps in this case, it's just a matter of product (or in this case, service) delivery that is the hang-up.  Of course, I don't personally know anybody who's willing to pay $250 for an updo, either.

Hi Dave....yes you are right about servicing the "tails".  We see this with some of our hair accessories that we carry that no one else wants to mess with.  The reason is because hair accessories offer many unique management challenges which after 5 years we have overcome to make it worthwhile for us.  It would not be so for many just getting into the biz because there are lots of hills.  I do think that for a "star" long hair stylist I might pay $250 for an updo for a special event. 

One of my magazine editors who has naturally curly hair just spent $250 + the cost of a round trip plane ticket to New York to fly Robert Hallowell to her wedding to do her bridal up.  It was stunningly beautiful and the best her naturally curly hair has looked...her entire life...according to her.  That is definitely a special event.  To her it was worth every penny.  I know of some people who might pay as much as $150 for a Prom or other special party.  I guess it is all relative.  :-)

-------------

Posted By: Sunsailing
Date Posted: July 20 2006 at 9:30am
Hairdressing services offered to the very-long haired would be a great market to serve...

I don't know about just the "very" long haired, but the George Michael Long Hair salons that exist seem to be well established. I'll drive a few times a year to the one outside of Cleveland for the special services they offer. The drive is almost 1.5 hours, but it is well worth it for me. I do think that these salons probably have to exist near a major city to make it. There is also one down in Columbus.

I've always been grateful when a stylist has given me the "pros & cons" of a possible style/cut. I'd be upset if I found out something about a cut after it was done, and the stylist had the opportunity to tell me prior to doing the cut. When I had shorter hair, I remember my trusted stylist telling me about the cons of a certain style, but I went ahead with it anyways. I still appreciated her input.

I don't believe in stylists trying to get people with long hair to cut it.

-------------

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: July 31 2006 at 8:50am

Well in Miri's case no because when we went to get her hair trimmed she had her hair flat-ironed at home and the guy cut it before it was thoroughly wet down and dry, fine-combed it, and when Miri tryed to tell him how she wanted her hair he completely ignored her and cut it in a wierd shape with layers. But he was a quiet person and seemed nice enough. I guess the flat-ironing confused him.

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Date Posted: August 02 2006 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by SugarCube SugarCube wrote:

... when Miri tryed to tell him how she wanted her hair he completely ignored her and cut it in a wierd shape with layers. But he was a quiet person and seemed nice enough. I guess the flat-ironing confused him.

Is he a recent cosmetology graduate?

Posted By: dianefromcanada
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 12:01am
Hello Dave and everyone,

I really like my stylist but lately I found that he is changing.  He seem to be tired of hairdressing and it is showing in his attitude.

He gave me a great colour close to my natural colour and trimmed my hair.  I mentioned that I wanted very very long hair and he said" no." "it would be too much work".  I rolled my eyes and laughed.  I didn't allow him to upset me or anything of the sort.  I am in the driver seat not him.
There is nothing to argue.  I pay someone to do their job and if they can't it is my responsiblity to let them know that they will never see me again and I will say it so calmly and nicely that they will shiver in their shoes.

He is very good in colouring and styling the hair.  The next time he says no I will smile and say" gee stylists are a dime a dozen, hum where is the yellow pages as my fingers do the walking ... and do you really think you have a say about what I will wear?'  Ha ha.

At that point if I feel he didn't climbed down from his ego ladder I will find someone else. In fact in the province where I go to my cottage their a stylist that has long hair to her ankles and I can easily make an appointment and drive 2 1/2 hours to see her so I am not worried.  I like that stylist also.  Noone should ever think that they are the only one that their client will ever see.

dianefromcanada

-------------
dianefromcanada

Posted By: browneyedgirl83
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 12:03am
I am finding it ironic that after years of scissor happy stylists... I found one who was far from. She was cautious, careful, and seemed pained to be cutting so much of my hair...
after I decided I wanted to try short hair.
I thought SHE was going to cry as she cut a foot off of my hair... I was fine.

(if you live in the Chattanooga, TN area, I'll refer you....)

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 1:31pm
      Browneyedgirl, even if I had the talent to cut hair well, which I do not, I just couldn't do it! If it meant cutting long hair to short, it would be too demoralizing for me. Five years back, I cut 6" off my DW's hair to her shoulders, and I was in a funk for quite a while. I vowed then that I'd *never* participate in a drastic chop again. Now, I have no problem with *trimming* her hair straight across, but a major chop of anyone's beautiful locks again, no way! (lol)  Bob

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:27am

Dave: no idea whatsoever

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Print Page | Close Window