Print Page | Close Window

A horror story

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=43336
Printed Date: June 16 2024 at 12:03am

Topic: A horror story
Posted By: Supersugar
Subject: A horror story
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 7:58am
This past weekend I had a wedding to attend, and it had been raining all week.  While that's normally not a big deal, I'm five months post relaxer and ... well, let's just say that I have a LOT of new growth.  Nice and poofy. Big smile  I had used my flat iron twice that week already and felt horrible about it. 

So Saturday morning, one of the other bridesmaids asks if I want her to do my hair and I'm like, "Okay, that's fine."  She brings in a Hot Tools and I took one look at it and said "No way."  I gave her my Sedu. 

This is where I started to freak out.  She wasn't really using a comb to work through my hair -- she was using her fingers.  And if you've tried to detangle previously-wet, thick hair with your fingers ... then she picked up the flat iron and went over one section like, three times!  Seriously, I almost screamed.  I was like "What are you doing?"  And then I saw her hair and I was like "Oh crud." Shocked  I felt like I was in a stylist's chair all over again.  I can't remember ever being so scared of a styling tool (except for one time when some idiot hairdresser was combing my hair with a fine-tooth comb, which was pulling my hair out, and saying "Oh look, your hair isn't completely straight."  Um, duh?).

In any case, she got my hair straightened out, and then I ended up doing it one more time after that to actually put curls in it (believe me, I was slathering on heat protectant by this point!), but it turned out really pretty and I got a lot of compliments on how shiny and thick it was.  However, I don't think the anxiety would be worth it on a normal basis!  Good thing I've got two weeks to let my hair rest ... and then it's time for a relaxer.  Maybe. Tongue

-------------
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.

Replies:
Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 9:47am
thats why i dont let anyone touch my hair!! even my mom.

-------------

Posted By: Supersugar
Date Posted: May 19 2006 at 10:28am
Well, lesson learned. Wink  (I broke down and used the iron again anyway, and the humidity forced the curls right out. LOL)  I have the same creepy-crawly reaction at the hairdresser, but I know for a fact that she loves my hair and wants it to be healthy.  Too bad she's moving soon ... I don't know how I'll replace her!

-------------
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.

Print Page | Close Window