Print Page | Close Window

Just a note on Silicones.

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: General Hair Talk
Forum Description: A free wheeling discussion of hair related topics.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4406
Printed Date: May 13 2024 at 7:32am

Topic: Just a note on Silicones.
Posted By: Happyblonde
Subject: Just a note on Silicones.
Date Posted: April 03 2000 at 5:57am
Every once in awhile I have to post about Dimethicone and other silicone products so that in case any person is new here they can read what I've said before about this ingredient. I haven't been on-line to this board for awhile and see a lot of people really into products with silicones (a popular silicone in products is Dimethicone, although there are other silicones with different names).

Not to be a scare-monger, but for a lot of people this chemical builds up and makes the hair dry and/or brittle and can cause frizzing and/or breakage. Some people do not have this problem but there have been many on this board who have wrote about the problems they have had with it. The problems may not show up for a couple of years while using these products, then again some people have noticed problems right away. Just please keep in mind that these products can build up and I don't know for sure if using a claryifying shampoo will clear up the build-up or not. (If someone can tell me FOR SURE that clarifying shampoos do clear up dimethicone build-up, please let me know).

What silicone does is to wrap itself around the hair strand, making a coating that can make other products hard to get into the hair shaft. So if you want to moisturize your hair this can be a problem.

This is what I last knew about silicones, and I haven't seen news about new improved silicones except for one that is water soluble (not sure of the name of this silicone).
Please add new information here if something needs corrected.

Thanks,
Happyblonde

Replies: