Print Page | Close Window

Henna???

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=44399
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 6:23am

Topic: Henna???
Posted By: lmacy2
Subject: Henna???
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 12:45pm
What is this Henna that everyone talks about??  What does it do?  Where do you get it? 

Replies:
Posted By: Claude
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 10:16pm
Henna is a natural hair dye made from the Henna plant. It grows in Africa, South America and other hot regions in this world.

As a hair dye it's red! And once you color your hair with Henna NOTHING & I MEAN NOTHING will strip the henna product from your hair. So if you have a desire someday to have blonde higlights or change or alter your haircolor with any hair that is colored with Henna it's not possible!

Bleach will not even cut through the henna color the only way to get henna out of your hair is to cut off the hair that's been colored with Henna!

My advice DON'T USE IT!

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 12:37am
I have to disagree claude.I have used henna.Its no more permanent than hairdye. At least thats the result I got with fresh quality henna.

I was able to color over it and even bleach it out.

Cheaper quality henna would probably be more like what you were thinking.And I'm sure the only way to get it would be to cut it.Not all henna is created equal.

Posted By: lmacy2
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:48am
Thanks all.  THe LAST thing I need os a color change at this point.  I thought maybe it was something to help treat damage.  I've got enough color problems.  haha 

THANKS!

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 12:55pm
There's also a nuetral henna which wont color your hair.Its supposed to have great conditioning qualities.Check out the site below.They tell you everything you need to know about henna,nuetral henna,and indigo.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/ - www.hennaforhair.com/

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 4:16pm
I use neutral (non-color) henna every 6-8 weeks, and I love it. It has helped my hair get stronger, shinier, and thicker. It is also very easy to apply and rinse out.

Also, the reddish hair in my signature is my natural color. Neutral henna (cassia obovata) will NOT color your hair, I promise. http://www.hennaforhair.com - www.hennaforhair.com will send you a sample to try if you like.

-------------

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 6:47am
I just have one thing to add here: I LOVE HENNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: summer*22*
Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 2:47pm
I am really wanting to try henna after reading these message boards and viewing http://www.hennaforhair.com/ - http://www.hennaforhair.com/ .  On the website I saw someone added henna, indigo, amla and several other ingrediants for a really pretty brown color with red tones.  My hair was bleached several months ago but I have dyed it brown since then,but it has washed out a little bit.  I do not ever want to do any chemical treatments on my hair again....Do you think  the henna will take good to my hair?

Thanks
~Summer~

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 5:10am

You won't have any problems with the henna "taking".....you just need to figure out what colour you want to achieve and then do some research in the mixes section of H4H.  Good luck!

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 12:22pm
Thursday night was the 4th or 5th time I hennaed. The color was brilliant.

I'm never giving this up. Ever.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 5:39am
Anais.....you're a henna head now??? That's awesome!!!!! I'm so excited for you. I haven't read your journal in ages.....must go do that now

-------------

Posted By: vivek
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 6:08am
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

I just have one thing to add here: I LOVE HENNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am a male having full length long hair.ur suggestions on henna

Posted By: vivek
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 6:11am

i dont want to achieve any colour. but i think it is diffcult to apply henna for a long hair almost wiast lenght

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Thursday night was the 4th or 5th time I hennaed. The color was brilliant.

I'm never giving this up. Ever.

Anais
Like Rini, I didn't know you henna'ed, either.  Do you use the black henna, or neutral?

-------------

Posted By: ataraxy
Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 1:46pm
mmm henna!

haven't been around in a couple months.. been wanting to stop by & say hello. my most recent battle has been hair color. parts of my hair don't seem to be taking to the black dye well, so between that and the damage the dye gives it, i have decided once & for all to try henna. i ordered samples of henna & indigo (the 1st indigo test i did didn't work out), which i will test again this weekend. red would be a nice change even if the indigo doesn't work out...now which color to do!

has anyone had experience with henna over black dye? i'm terrified of that top 1/2 red / bottom 1/2 black look.

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 1:56pm
I really wanted to try henna too.  But on http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/index.html - http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/index.html there is an section that says "some brands of henna contain metals that can react with previous chemicals that have been put on your hair....it says it could react and turn your hair green or even fry it off!"

Since my hair is already damaged from chemicals I am going to wait until I can get the damaged area cut off....which is about 10 inches of hair.  Then I plan on using henna and indigo to get a real pretty brownish red color.

Please someone tell me if this is wrong...that is just what I read on the website and I don't want to ruin my hair anymore than it already is.

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 2:57pm
that's why it's crucial to do a test first. that is also one of my concerns as well. for my next test, i made sure i took off a good bit of hair from root to tip. this way i can see what effects the henna has on the dyed and natural hair. i'll be sure to take some pics this time too :)

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 11:45pm

summer.....pure BAQ (body art quality) henna will not react with previously chemically dyed hair.  What you read is referring to compound henna which contains metallic salts.   Provided you use BAQ henna, you can go right ahead and use the henna and indigo now.

ataraxy...good to see you again!  Can you tell me what happened with your first indigo test?  Also, what colour is your ultimate goal and what colour is your natural hair?   I would like to help you if I can.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 9:33am

Thanks MissRini for responding

I think I am going to go ahead and order the samples and see how it turns out..especially the color.  I have heard henna is good for your hair...do you think it will make my hair healthier too since it has damage?

Also, I curious how much I will need.  I had to cut about 8 inches off my hair from the damage and now it is about 2 inches above my shoulders.  When I am ready to do it do you think the 100g will be enough or should I get the 200g.

Thanks,

~Summer~

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2006 at 4:37am
Henna will do wonders for the condition of your hair!  It really saved mine and is one of the main reasons I am now growing it long.

100g should be enough, but get more anyway.  You can freeze henna after you have made it up and just thaw it out when you need it.

good luck and post pics!!!

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 2:00pm
i did my 2nd henna test last night, and am very impressed with the results! i just rinsed the hair and will post a couple pics after the color has set in. i'm going after http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/anna/ - Anna's color . i love the deep yet vibrant burgundy! the only thing i added to her mix was some red wine.

believe it or not, the black hair seems to also have taken a good bit of red. i also ordered chamomile lightener to bring it lighter before my first "real" henna application.

i was a bit more serious when i tested this time, and did ALOT more homework. i bought some essential oil (lavendar) and made my mix as close as i could to Anna's directions. the 1st time i tested, i simply added some water to the henna, put it on my test hair, and left it sit for about an hour. next i did the same thing with the indigo. i've been blue-black for over 10 years now, and it's time for a change. i figure i can always go darker again if i want. i'll be ordering my henna sometime soon and will definitely post results/pics. i'm wondering if 300g will be enough. darn you redheads for converting me

-------------

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 5:37pm

How exciting!! That is a beautiful color, and will look stunning with your ivory skin.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 9:20pm

Yay for you ataraxy!!!  Just be aware that the initial colour you get will be redder (and even look a little lighter) than your final result will be.

Post pics of your hair soon!!

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2006 at 3:48pm
I have a question about "terps" before I henna my hair.  I see there are so many essential oils on the henna4hair website....what different results does each one give.  I was considering using lavender....do you have to use the lavender oil or can you use lavender leaves? 

http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=24564&FID=39 - ataraxy ,

That is great that you got great color results from you test.  I would love to see pics too.  I ordered my samples a while ago so I should be receiving them anyday.  I will definately take pics of the test and post them.  I will hopefully be ordering my henna very soon....Im just trying to figure out what essential oil to use.

Summer

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2006 at 7:56pm
summer, "terping" henna is mainly a body art method used to make the stain darker.  The amount of essential oil that you would add to a henna batch is very very tiny and just enough to give a nice smell.  You can use anything really, but lavender, geranium and rose seem to be the most popular.  I have heard that it is supposed to make the stain darker on your hair too, but I have not found this.  So the purpose of the EO for me is just to give a nice smell.

Use only a tiny amount as you don't want to get a headache from the smell!! (about 2 or 3 drops in a 100g mixed batch of henna)  Also, EOs can irritate your scalp if used in too large concentrations.

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by ataraxy ataraxy wrote:

i did my 2nd henna test last night, and am very impressed with the results! i just rinsed the hair and will post a couple pics after the color has set in. i'm going after http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/anna/ - Anna's color . i love the deep yet vibrant burgundy! the only thing i added to her mix was some red wine.

believe it or not, the black hair seems to also have taken a good bit of red. i also ordered chamomile lightener to bring it lighter before my first "real" henna application.

i was a bit more serious when i tested this time, and did ALOT more homework. i bought some essential oil (lavendar) and made my mix as close as i could to Anna's directions. the 1st time i tested, i simply added some water to the henna, put it on my test hair, and left it sit for about an hour. next i did the same thing with the indigo. i've been blue-black for over 10 years now, and it's time for a change. i figure i can always go darker again if i want. i'll be ordering my henna sometime soon and will definitely post results/pics. i'm wondering if 300g will be enough. darn you redheads for converting me
Cool color.    Nice to "see" you here again...  And we're looking forward to seeing the pics!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window