Print Page | Close Window

How Can Highlights "Fade"?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: General Hair Talk
Forum Description: A free wheeling discussion of hair related topics.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4491
Printed Date: May 03 2024 at 10:19pm

Topic: How Can Highlights "Fade"?
Posted By: Ally
Subject: How Can Highlights "Fade"?
Date Posted: May 29 2000 at 10:55am

I just read the latest "Ask Karen" column about the possibility of olive oil causing highlights to fade. My hairdresser also sells me a special color-protecting shampoo to prevent fading.

My question is, since highlights are /already/ lighter than the rest of your hair, how can they fade? Basically they're just pieces of hair that have been stripped of some pigment, right? Could someone explain this to me?

I have light ash brown hair with ash blonde highlights.

Thanks,
Ally

Replies:
Posted By: forest
Date Posted: May 29 2000 at 9:13pm
Hi Ally:

Good question. Whenever you strip or bleach out color from your hair you damage the outside layer of hair called the cuticle. If you don't use professional shampoos and an acid type conditoner, which helps the cuticle layer of the hair to lay flat down again, the hair will fade out. Also if when you have highlights placed in the hair if a hairdresser uses a toner over the highlighted hair it will fade out with repeated shampooings. It is a good idea to use the color shampoo your stylist recommends. It should keep your highlighted hair looking fresh. Forest

-------------

Posted By: forest
Date Posted: May 29 2000 at 9:15pm
Hi Ally:

Good question. Whenever you strip or bleach out color from your hair you damage the outside layer of hair called the cuticle. If you don't use professional shampoos and an acid type conditoner, which helps the cuticle layer of the hair to lay flat down again, the hair will fade out. Also if when you have highlights placed in the hair if a hairdresser uses a toner over the highlighted hair it will fade out with repeated shampooings. It is a good idea to use the color shampoo your stylist recommends. It should keep your highlighted hair looking fresh. Forest

-------------

Posted By: Ally
Date Posted: May 30 2000 at 9:09am
Forest~

What is a good shampoo for ash-blonde highlights?

Ally

-------------