Print Page | Close Window

A long hair survey.

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45077
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 4:45am

Topic: A long hair survey.
Posted By: SanFranBrent
Subject: A long hair survey.
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 2:31am
A survey concerning shampoos, conditioners, hair care and hair products.

A. What do you ladies and gents use for shampoo and conditioner on your long hair? What brands of shampoos and conditioners?
B. How often do you shampoo or condition your long hair?
C. Do you shampoo or condition every time you wash your long hair?
D. Do you ever use a clarifying shampoo?
E. Do you alternate hair products?
F. Do you deep condition your long hair? If you do deep condition your long hair, do you have it done at a beauty salon, or do you do it yourself?
G. Do you have your long hair curled, straightened, permed, highlighted or colored? If you do one or more of these things to your hair, do you have it done at a beauty salon, or do you do it yourself?
H. How long is your long hair these days, how long are you planning on growing your long hair, and how long have you worn long hair?

Much apprecated.

-------------
Brent

Replies:
Posted By: letmecount123
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 3:22am
A. What do you ladies and gents use for shampoo and conditioner on your long hair? What brands of shampoos and conditioners?

Whatever's in the shower shampoo and ditto for conditioner.

My hair doesn't "dry" very nice, so usually every time I shower which could be every day to every other day.

Well...washing usually = shampoo, and I definitely have to condition every time or I would never get detangled.

No, but I maybe should.

Not intentionally.

F. Do you deep condition your long hair? If you do deep condition your long hair, do you have it done at a beauty salon, or do you do it yourself?

Sometimes I'll throw some conditioner in, braid it, and sleep on it. Not sure if that counts as "deep conditioning."

G. Do you have your long hair curled, straightened, permed, highlighted or colored? If you do one or more of these things to your hair, do you have it done at a beauty salon, or do you do it yourself?

My hair is au natural.

H. How long is your long hair these days, how long are you planning on growing your long hair, and how long have you worn long hair?

My hair is about 30" long...I'm probably going to grow it to about 35" which will be around tail bone length. My hair has been considered "long" for about 3 years now.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 3:34am
Thank you Letmecount, for answering the questions. You have beautiful long hair!

-------------
Brent

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 5:46am

Just use conditioner.....whatever is around that doesn't have cones and is fairly cheap (use lots of it!)

CO twice a week.

yes (not shampoo)....actually, I don't understand this question.

No. But sometimes I use baking soda

Yes, but there is no real method behind it

Yes, do it myself

Just use henna to colour it. Do it myself

It's not very long right now (about 22.5") ....but I'm planning on growing it to hip length.  I have never had really long hair as an adult.

Hope that helps you!

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 6:26am
Thanks for your reply Miss Rini.
You also have lovely hair.
What I meant by do you shampoo every time you wash your hair, is that some people sometimes just wash their hair with water, without using a hair product.

-------------
Brent

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 3:33pm

Presently using Dove (!  ) shampoo and Shampure conditioner.  I prefer to use better quality shampoos, though.  I dilute them, so a bottle lasts a long time

Once a week.  Lather, rinse, and repeat.  In summer, the repeat is necessary to keep my hair clean almost until it gets washed again.

Both

No.

Yes.

Occasionally, always DIY.

None of the above.

The longest strands (measured from their roots) are about 64" but as measured by the George Michael standard (from the forehead and over the crown), about 73"?  I'll have to get a proper measurement taken soon.  Of course there are only a few strands at that length.

It seems to not be growing any longer; it doesn't seem to have gotten any longer in the past year.

I started growing my hair out from a typical short men's haircut in 1992.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 4:57pm
Thanks for your reply, "King of the long haired dudes".

-------------
Brent

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 10:36am

Well, at the moment, I am using Pantene which seems to work fine.

Either every day or every other day......it depends. When I take a shower, it's so much easier to just go ahead and wash my hair, too. It seems to stay really healthy and shiny!

yes.

no.

Well, I don't use much hair products besides shampoo and conditioner, but as for the S & C, I like to try something different about every time I run out and need some more. I'll pick out something different. But I usually end up going back to Pantene.

Yes. I do it myself.

No, I don't. I prefer everything natural.

I'm not sure how long my hair is because I haven't measured in a while....maybe I'll stop feeling lazy one of these days! It is past my butt, though.....around 38-39" long. I will let my hair grow as long as it will with a few trims. My hair has been growing pretty much all my life.

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 10:57am
    -I used to use BedHead and Redken AllSoft products, but lately I've taken an intense liking to Herbal Essences.  I also use Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-in Conditioner when my hair needs a quick pick-me-up.
     -I shampoo it once a week, sometimes less, and I condition it every other day. 
     -Nope... I only use shampoo AND conditioner once a week, and I use conditioner every other time I shower.
     -I do an ACV rinse once every 2 weeks.
     -Sort of.  When I run out of one shampoo/conditioner, I'll usually buy a new kind.  And I'm always buying different leave-ins and styling products.
     -I deep condition about once a month at home.
     -I dye the bottom (formerly bleached) part of my hair about 3 times a year to avoid being two-toned.  I either do it myself or have my friend (who's a stylist) do it for me.
     -My hair is down to my waist when it's dry; down to the waistband of my jeans when it's wet.  I'm hoping to eventually grow it to mid-thigh.  I've been actively growing my hair for about a year and a half, but until 5 or 6 years ago I had tailbone-length hair for most of my life.

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 12:05pm
Water only
I wash my hair with water once a week
Neither one
No
I used to. I'm trying to simplify my routine
I deep condition with Cassia obovata (neutral henna), coconut milk, or coconut oil. I do it myself.
None of the above.
My hair is 21" right now, and I'm trying to grow it to somewhere between 30" and 36"

-------------

Posted By: Amazing Grace
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 5:08pm
    I've been using L'Oreal Vive, can't remember the specific type. It was in a white bottle with a green square and was a very gentle shampoo. It's suddenly disappeared off the shelves of the stores that carried it, so I'm starting the product hunt again.

Shampoo and condition once every three days.

There are times I'll take a shower and get my hair wet without using any products. Don't know if that really counts as "washing" since it's a case of my hair following my body into the shower.

I do an ACV rinse about once every ten days. We have very hard water here and that helps get rid of mineral buildup.

No, but I guess I will be while I look for something my hair likes.

Nope. I've had trouble finding a deep conditioner without cones, which my hair doesn't like. I'm starting to experiment with henna, partially for the conditioning properties.

I'm growing out an old old perm. And starting to play with henna. The perm was done in a salon, but I'll do the henna myself.

It's around BSL. I'd like to get it down to waist length and then will decide if I want it longer. I had long hair until I was 13 or so. About 18 months ago, I decided to grow it long again.

Posted By: anne6000
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 6:03pm

It depends.  Currently, L'oreal Fresh-Shine Shampoo (contains no SLS; just a basic shampoo that cleans without containing harmful ingredients) and L'Oreal Vive fresh-Shine Conditioner

Every day (I also run 6-7 mornings a week, so I come home literally dripping sweat, especially the hotter the day)

both

sometimes, though it's not really needed with what I use

sometimes, but my shampoo and conditioner don't tend to build-up, but I'll buy something else just for variety.

I don't, mine tends to be oily, but if I could figure out how to only conditioner the ends, I would!

G. Do you have your long hair curled, straightened, permed, highlighted or colored?

None, it's natural.

I have "short" long hair!   It's just below shoulder-length.  I've had it probably six inches longer and the shortest is probably a couple of inches above the shoulders.  I'd like my hair to  grow a couple of inches longer, then I'll reassess my goals.

Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 7:20pm
My thanks to all of you for your interesting and informative replies!

-------------
Brent

Posted By: lmacy2
Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 2:25pm
Baking soda???  That's a new one....what's that do for your hair?  Maybe I'll try it....

Posted By: rhpetunia
Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 4:43pm
A.  I like simple, natural ingredients.  If the ingredients are too chemical-y, I don't use it.  Right now I use Aubrey Organics GBP shampoo and conditioner, Avalon Organics Aloe Vera Jojoba shampoo and conditioner, and Giovanni Triple Treat conditioner.

B&C.  I shampoo and condition once per week.  In the winter that has been sufficient (if I use a vinegar rinse), but for the summer I am having to fill in with conditioner only washes.

D.  Never

E.  Yes, I alternate between shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil.  I alternate shampoos and conditioners (only because I like them all, not for a particular purpose).

F.  I don't deep condition because I condition constantly and use shampoo very sparingly on roots only (leave-ins, oils, etc.)

G.  I color at home with Herbatint.

H.  It's been past my shoulders for 10 years, but this is my first time growing it very long, so I am learning.  I am at 28 inches and my goal is 40 inches.

-------------
2b/F/ii

Posted By: Rubis
Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 4:58pm

I use Cosmo-Lustre shampoo from Laboratoires de Monceaux ( Canada )
Aloe Vera & Green Apple. ( ingredients : demineralized water, derivatives from oils of palm and coco , coco-betaine, essence of green apple and aloe vera extract, food preservatives and citric acid ).
The conditioner is Cosmo-Lustre Rosemary & Sage. ( ingredients : purified water, natural by-product of palm & coco oils, essential oils of rosemary and sage, natural vit. E, pro-vitamine B5 ).

After the conditioner, applied from ears to the tips of hair and and rinsing with water, I rinse with a 1/2 liter bottle of 1 tbs of an organic apple cider vinegar diluted in a herbal infusion made of rosemary, sage, stinging nettle and marshmallow herbs.  After that, I rinse with a cup of spring water.

I detangle the hair and `spritz` a little bit of a mix made
with 1/2 water, 1/2 conditioner and some drops of sweet almond oil.
I comb again and let it dry naturally.

During a certain time, I used Dr.Bronner`s Pure Castille soap
diluted as shampoo. But with the time because it`s a soap it dries the hair, so I stopped using it.

Each Sunday.

I use the same routine described in  A,  each week.

Never, it isn`t necessary.

No.

Sometimes, when I feel for it, I deep condition with mayo,
or coconut milk, or coconut oil. Maybe once in a  month.

Nothing of these things. My hair is naturally wavy/curly and dry.
I don`t use a blow-drier since at least 10 years.

About 33 inches if I measure starting at front line ( almost waist lenght ). I want 3-4 inches more. I let my hair grow since at least 5 or 6 years .

I banned silicon, paraben, sodium laureth sulfate , blow-drier,
and so on,  since a long time, now. I brush my hair one or two times per week. I mostly detangle my hair with my fingers.

-------------
Maybe , I'll make mistakes in my sentences, I usually speak French. But this site is great and I love it !

Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 8:17pm
Thank you for your replies.
So many of you seem to have beautiful long hair, and know what you are doing to make your long hair beautiful!

-------------
Brent

Posted By: missrini
Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by lmacy2 lmacy2 wrote:

Baking soda???  That's a new one....what's that do for your hair?  Maybe I'll try it....

Baking soda is a good clarifier....however some ppl find it really harsh for their hair.  I have never had any problems with it though.  You just put a tablespoon or so into about half a litre of warm water and pour it over as a rinse...massage it a little too.

-------------

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Posted By: vivek
Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 10:45pm
hai friends

I shampoo my hair once in a week

I apply oil on alternate days

I cut my hair once in 6 months

My current hair length : 32 inches

Goal : Unlimited

Styles : As suggested by my wife

Date Posted: July 12 2006 at 1:17am
Thanks for your replies.

-------------
Brent

Posted By: Tyranna
Date Posted: July 14 2006 at 2:42pm

I usually prefer Biolage Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner for colored hair, although I've been out of it for a couple of weeks and have resorted to the more typical over-the-counter kinds of hair products until I can get some more.  Right now I am using a Suave shampoo and Infusium  conditioner.

Every other day.

Yes, although lately, I have been trying to cut back on the amount of shampoo I use.  Now I try to shampoo mainly on the scalp.

Don't think so.

Occassionally.

Recently I tried the the mayo treatment which was very clarifying.  And every now and then I will let good conditioner sit on my hair for a long period (+20 minutes), if that counts as deep conditioning.  Also, one of the best deep conditioning treatments I ever got was a heat-activated clay-based treatment from a salon. 

I color my hair myself.  The color I use is very close to my own, so the damage is not that bad.  Years ago, I used to highlight frequently and before that I permed.  That can be very bad for the hair.  It took a while to tone my hair down to a more natural shade.  My plan was to quit coloring.  But by that time, I noticed a grey hair or two, and said, hell no!  So I continue to color.

I think it is about as long as my signature picture.  Right now I am in the 'growing out damage' stage of things.  I trim two inches off, wait several months, trim two inches, off, and so forth.  I like the length, but am not sure how much longer I could take it.  My hair is thick, but fine in texture.  It is probably more susceptable to breakage and split ends than someone who has more coarsely-textured hair.

But the ironic thing is that the worst damage occurs as far as split ends and such go, is not at the greatest length (in the back).  No it occurs near the front sides, probably because that is the hair I physically contact with more frequently.   And it is the sides that I would like to get a bit longer.  (My hair cut in that 'U' shaped style - longest in the back and tapering up to the sides, and I have bangs.) 

I have had longer hair all my life, although I never got it past my bra strap until I was past 30.  And I was able to do that when I stopped going to professional stylists.  They all seem to think long hair is a couple of inches above the bra line.

-------------

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 1:46pm
Thanks for your replies!

-------------
Brent

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 1:57pm
Thanks Brent, for posting this interesting and fun survey!

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Thanks Brent, for posting this interesting and fun survey!

My thoughts exactly!

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:16pm
Thanks Dave and Horselover!

-------------
Brent

Print Page | Close Window