Print Page | Close Window

What about a "mercy cut"?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45096
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 6:17am

Topic: What about a "mercy cut"?
Posted By: Katja
Subject: What about a "mercy cut"?
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 7:59pm
About two weeks ago I was bored on a museum tour, and I was looking down at my hair and I noticed that the ends really are in bad shape.   My hair has barely grown for months, probably because of the chronic damage I still have from dying & bleaching it two years ago.  And no matter how often I self-trim and pamper my hair, the damaged ends always resurface shortly after.  I condition my hair to no end, and I don't mind doing so, but if my hair is really this damaged I don't want to waste my conditioner.

I was contemplating having my stylist friend trim off 2 or 3 inches, but I know it would only be a matter of months before the damage returned.  So I'm considering cutting off the entire previously bleached part (or most of it) and starting over with healthy, fresh, virgin hair.  It would be at least 7 or 8 inches, which would bring me back to only a bit past shoulder length (if not shorter).

So my question is... do you think it's worth it, or am I just overreacting/insane?  I would be really sad to see my waist-length hair go and have to start all over again, but I think it would grow faster (and definitely be healthier) without all that damage.  Anyway, I figured I should get some outside opinions before making a decision.  Any input would be appreciated as my brain is about to explode from going back and forth on the subject.

Thanks!
~Katja

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Replies:
Posted By: letmecount123
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 8:19pm
The underneath layer of my hair is in nasty nasty shape... in order to conserve my length but get rid of the nastiness, I'm more or less trimmed bits and pieces 2-3" shorter than the top layer, and a few pieces I trimmed right up to my shoulders.

You can't tell because it's the bottom layer...

Sometimes I too think it would just be easier to go right back to my shoulders and start all over... but I love my hair and people "know" me by it, so I'll leave it as is.

-------------

Posted By: anne6000
Date Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:53pm
I'm so sorry to hear about the dilemma.  Both choices have advantages and disadvantages.  Maybe you could try listing as many as you can, and whatever list has the longest (or most important) advantages is the choice you choose.  I wish you all the best.

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 11:57am
I'm struggling with the same issue - I've got about four or five inches of damaged hair. But most days the only one who can tell is me. So I'm leaving it, and micro-trimming every few months until it's all gone (maybe by next summer?)

-------------

Posted By: Amazing Grace
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 5:15pm
I keep debating having two or three inches cut off to even up some old layers. This would also get rid of some frizzy damaged hair. Since I procrastinate about having it done, I've come to realize that maintaining my length is more important to me personally than cutting out the damage at this point.

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: July 10 2006 at 7:58pm
Katja - I forgot to say, I think your hair looks great. Wow, it sure grows fast!!!!

-------------

Posted By: lmacy2
Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 2:16pm
I would get another 2" trim, then get some professional conditioners from your stylist friend for your ends.  Maybe some Aveda products. 

Personally, length is more important to me and I am in the same predicament that you are.  I bleached my butt-length brown hair and it fried it.  I was forced to get it layered to get rid of some of the damage.  My bottom layer is still bra-length, but my top layer is at the bottom of my ears.  It's terrible....but patience will pay off in the long run. 

BOYCOTT BLEACH! 

Good luck!

Posted By: laststar
Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 6:08pm
Perhaps a small trim over the next few months, to keep the length.  Then you will eventually get rid of the problem.

-------------
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist

Posted By: Alayney
Date Posted: July 14 2006 at 12:49am
If it's going to make you "sick" to lose the length DON'T cut it. If you're going to feel GOOD to have "fresh" hair again, go ahead.

1) Long and damaged (and happy?)
2) Less long and healthy and vibrant (and unhappy?)

You have to think about how you FEEL. As funny as it is, I like to keep my "damaged" length rather than go for short and healthy.

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 12:50pm
     Amen, Alaney! Katja, your hair looks fantastic. Please don't do anything that you think would be discouraging. Blessings, Bob

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 1:11pm
Katja, I totally agree with Bob!

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: July 27 2006 at 10:37am
Hi I personally think you should continue what you are doing and put your hair up a lot in buns. also use sealing serums which although will not fix the split ends will prevent it from getting worse.Hope you and you're hair feel better soon

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Print Page | Close Window