Print Page | Close Window

Hair today vs. hair back then

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45306
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 6:22am

Topic: Hair today vs. hair back then
Posted By: horselover_1625
Subject: Hair today vs. hair back then
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:11pm
So, would ya'll say long hair is more popular today than it was back then?
Also, is it more common for men to have long hair now than it was back then? Let me know what ya think.
And, would you say hair is more healthy today than it was back then? I know we have a whole lot more products and equipment now, but I just thought I'd see what your different views were. I'd be pretty interested to hear your replies.

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Replies:
Posted By: rhpetunia
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:01pm
I think long hair might be more popular than in the 80's or the 50's-60's, but less popular than in the 60's-70's, and much less popular than the 40's or before. 

I think that the only time in recent history more men have had long hair was in the 60's-70's, but before.  I would guess that men's hair, generally speaking, has been longer in the past 40 years than it had been in the previous 100 years, but I am not an expert of hair norms in history.

I believe that hair, generally speaking, is the least healthy that it's been in all of recorded history.  It is a rarity, I find, to see long, healthy hair these days!  You might see BSL hair that isn't fried, but try to find nice, healthy waist length hair on an adult.  It happens, as we know from Hair Talk Long Hair Support and other long hair websites, but I do not see it  very often in my daily travels.  As I understand it, if this was the 1800's, almost every woman you see would have healthy long hair.

-------------
2b/F/ii

Posted By: anne6000
Date Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:14pm
Could you please define back then?  I agree with rhpetunia that the time period makes a difference in the answer.

Also, I think the opportunity for the healthiest hair is today because of our knowledge and availability of products and services.  However, that doesn't mean that all long hair takes advantage of these opportunities!

Posted By: Lisa9232
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 8:55pm

Sry.

-------------
Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 19 2006 at 6:03pm
No need for apology, Lisa.  That just makes the question open-ended to mean "whenever 'back then' was."  Popular hairstyles and lengths have always changed (even though the pace of change is sometimes slow).

I do think that people (in general) are wearing longer hair now, as compared with 5-8 years ago.  It may also depend on where you are in the country and in the world.  I think that rhpetunia gives a pretty accurate summary.

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: July 24 2006 at 9:04pm
i think in the before 1900s, people usually had much longer hair but wore it contained alot

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Print Page | Close Window