Forum Name: Dogs & Cats & Pet Talk
Forum Description: Dogs & Cats & Pet Talk
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45632
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 5:51am

Topic: Best Flea Products?
Posted By: WaveKingSup
Subject: Best Flea Products?
Date Posted: July 26 2006 at 6:25pm
I have a Yellow Lab.  What do you all use to kill fleas?

I have heard great things about Bio-Spot but have not tried it.  I have had some luck with Hartz 2 in 1 flea and my vet recommends Frontline Plus.  Just curious what you all use & what results.

Replies:
Posted By: babycheeks24
Date Posted: July 26 2006 at 8:23pm
Advantage!

-------------
Babycheeks

Posted By: Deb89
Date Posted: July 28 2006 at 4:06pm
We use Frontline and Toby has never had any problems.

Posted By: SDOW
Date Posted: July 29 2006 at 6:16am
frontline

Posted By: Sharyg11
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 4:44pm
Well after being a manager at Petsmart for 9 years I know a thing or two about fleas LOL. First of all don't use anything from Hartz. Specially their collars they use a chemical that can actually kill your pooch. And can cause brain damage in small children if they were to touch the collar and then put their little fingers it in their mouth. Frontline is very good, and so is Bio-Spot (and Bio-spot is much cheaper). However the best of the best, and you won't believe it, is to give your dog (or cat) Brewers Yeast with Garlic. They come in pill form(and also in powder form) and are super cheap. A bottle containing 1000 pills is $6.99. It will take 4-6 weeks to start working, because their system needs to be saturated with the product. But after that, you will never see a flee. Not only that but the brewers yeast is a great supplement, it has omega 3 and 6, reduces shedding and produces a beautifull shiny coat. Is 100% natural. And you don't have to worry about your dog rubbing off the Frontline or Bio-Spot on your furniture, and your kids getting it on their hands when they pet your dog.

My customers loved me for breaking them into the secret(however the vet hospital director wanted to kill me, because people would stop buying frontline and advantage). And every time they would come to the store they would stop me to thank me, and tell me how great it works. And no, your dog will not smell like garlic, so don't worry.

The dosage is 1 tablet for every 10 lbs of body weight. But they also have it for large dogs, and in that case the dosage would be 1 tablet for every 50 lbs of body weight.

Whatever road you choose is always better to prevent. 30 fleas produce 60,000 fleas in 30 days. And a flea infestation is very expensive and difficult to get rid of.

Date Posted: August 20 2006 at 8:29am
is there a specific brand needed? for the yeast and garlic and do you only use it when you see fleas or daily.

-------------
Babycheeks

Date Posted: August 20 2006 at 9:03am
well i found out  garlic its toxic  to animals so maybe not a good idea to give to cats and dogs.

-------------
Babycheeks

Date Posted: August 20 2006 at 7:13pm
Where did you find out that garlic is toxic to cats and dogs? I've been in the pet industry for 9 years and never heard of such a thing. It may be toxic to some other animals but not to cats and dogs. Otherwise this vitamin supplement would not contain it. The garlic is already added to the brewers yeast supplement. Also many brands of food also use garlic. It is very healthy and a natural anti-parasitic.

Now, things such as grapes, raisins, avocados, chocolate, and many other things are toxic. But I won't get into that because that would be a whole other topic.

Anyway, going back to your original question, as far as brand, I recomend 8 in 1. Not only is it cheaper, but is also more concentrated and brings alot more. You do give it to them daily as a dietary supplement. You can just crush the pills and put it in their food, or you can buy these treats that are called pill pockets. Is a treat with a little pocket where you can put the pill. Or you can buy the powder form which I believe they have available at Petsmart.com. I'm used to just grabbing pills and pushing them rigth down my Rottwiller's troat. So is no problem for me. She is used to it, so she just opens her mouth.

It is really cheap, specially if you have a small breed, since a bottle brings 600 pills (the large bottle brings 1000) and the dosage is 1 pill for every 10 pounds of body weigth. So one bottle will last you almost 2 years. For a larger dog, you would buy the larger pills. The dosage for those is 1 pill for every 50 lbs of body weigth.

These are very effective. And trust me, totally safe and natural. I had one customer who had outside cats, and was going crazy. It didn't matter what she used, as soon as they went out they would come back infested with fleas. Once she got them on the regimen, her flea problem was gone.

Well, if you have any other questions(food, vitamins, shedding, shampoos body odor etc), don't hesitate to ask.

Date Posted: August 21 2006 at 8:11am
yeah i found it just by googling it
"Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat. "

and i asked a few people and they all said it was unsafe. dunno i have a rabbit i was just curious about the cat and dog stuff.

-------------
Babycheeks

Date Posted: August 21 2006 at 9:41pm
Ok, found out that garlic in brewers yeast and garlic pills has actually been processed and any toxins removed. You are right about the onions thought, they are highly toxic to both dogs and cats.

I also found a website with multiple testimonies of people who have had serious problems with advantage, Bio-spot and frontline (even death).  I must admit that surprised me. In all the years working in the pet industry, I never had a customer complaint about any of these treatments. I do know about the dangers of flea collars, specially on certain brands, such as Hartz, wich uses organophosfates, wich are highly toxic to both animals as well as humans. They also cause all kinds of skins problems, and even kidney problems. But never heard anyone having a problem with the topical solutions, other than the dogs trying to rub them off. I would always switch them to the Brewers Yeast whenever possible, just because the whole idea of puting a pesticide right on my dog's skin just never felt right to me. Now I know I was right.

Anybody using the topicals should really look into it. There were alot of horror stories.

I found many people suggesting natural alternatives to the pesticides, including the brewers yeast and garlic pills. And could not find anything negative about using them.

Date Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:38am
 well thanks for the info. Ive wondered about neem oil  diluted with some water im guessing  i heard it kills fleas you hear anything about that one?

-------------
Babycheeks

Date Posted: August 23 2006 at 5:50pm
No I never heard about that one. But I'm sure if you google it you'll find something about it. Let me know if you do.

Date Posted: August 25 2006 at 2:15pm
yeah i did dont hear anything bad about it for dogs but cats if they lick it the neem may be toxic.

-------------
Babycheeks

Date Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:06am

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Good thing I don't have a cat, so I don't have to worry about it.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 9:03am
This has been interesting reading.  I've had my cats with collars for a few years now because one of them has a skin allergy and fleas make it worse (but aren't the whole problem).  That Frontline and Advantage stuff didn't really work that well for them, and they absolutely hated having necks covered in grease (and I hated it too).  The collars were the only thing that worked for the fleas, but if they are that toxic I would rather take them off and try the yeast and garlic.

I can't find any brand called 8 in 1 online, even at the petsmart website.  Can you tell me how many mg of each thing is in your pills so I know what dosage is 1 pill per 10lbs.?  Do your pills also have all the B vitamins and linoleic acid in it, or is that stuff bad?

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 11:25am
Wow, you're right. I can't believe Petsmart.com doesn't have it. I know for sure is on their catalog, and definitly carried at the stores. I don't have a bottle right now. I shipped my pooch to the Dominican Republic along with all supplies, so she can start getting used to it, since I'll be moving there when I get married. Plus I moved from a house to an apartment and she was not very happy at all about not having her back yard, and overthere she plenty of space to run around.
Anyway, I'm sure there has got to be a Petsmart in your area. If you are not sure just called the 1-800-738-1395 and they'll find your nearest store. It would be much cheaper to just get it from them instead of having to pay for shipping and stuff. I would also call them and request a catalog. Usually the stuff in the catalog is much cheaper than at the store.

The dosage for the 8in1 pills is 1 pill a day for every 10 lbs of body weight. Oh and I made a mistake before is not 1000 pills for $6.99 is 600 pills for $6.99. The 1000 pill bottle is $9.99 which is still very good.

To answer your second question no, linoleic acid is not bad. Is actually not only good but essential in any mamal's diet. Linoleic acid is just another name for omega-6 fatty acid, which we all know is great. Not only does it help with sheading but also enhances the body's avility to heal wounds. Which comes in handy when healing those flea bites. And yes my pills did have it.

If you don't want to bother going to the Petsmart store itself then just ahead and get the other brand that you saw on their site. I just don't know what the dosage for those is, or how cost effective it would be for you. Oh, whatever you do, don't buy it at Petco. Their stuff is always way more expensive than at Petsmart. I'm not just saying that because I used to be a manager there LOL. It really is a ridiculous difference.

Well, I hope that helps. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Maybe I should start some threads and share many of things I learned in my nine years there. There is alot of interesting stuff I'm sure people would love to know LOL.

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 2:40pm
Please do, insider info is great!  Thanks for all the info, I will look into getting some for my kitties.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: September 03 2006 at 11:29am

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?searchterms=cats-flea-tick-remedy - http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?searchterms=cats-flea-tick-remedy

many natural products for dogs and cats.

-------------
Babycheeks

Date Posted: September 25 2006 at 4:34pm
i ended up asking the vet about the brewers yeast he has no problem with it if its VERY small dosage, only large dosages cause disease in the animals.:) so i think your pets will beo kay on a little bit of it.

-------------
Babycheeks

Print Page | Close Window