Print Page | Close Window

Braids hinder growth???(please answer)

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45855
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 6:27am

Topic: Braids hinder growth???(please answer)
Posted By: SugarCube
Subject: Braids hinder growth???(please answer)
Date Posted: August 02 2006 at 11:37am
I went on aa website that said that braids can retard growth and kill hair cells. Is this true because when we put Miri's hair in braids it is so much heathier then wearing it down and she says the tight pulling on the scalp only lasts a day or less. We've decided to use braids in her hair until her hair reaches waist length but I am worried about Traction Apolciea. Comments anyone???

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Replies:
Posted By: anne6000
Date Posted: August 02 2006 at 12:25pm
The growth of the hair occurs inside a hair follicle underneath the scalp, so I'm not sure how the pulling on the hair from braids will scientifically affect the growth.  However, tight pulling on the hair can have the ability to pull out a hair before its normal growth cycle is completed.  If your daughter's braids are so tight that it hurts, the braids are probably stressing the hair more than normal wear and tear that we all endure to various degrees.  Could you possibly just make the braids a little looser?

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 9:29am

Yeah I see what you are getting at but now she say it only hurts while I'm putting the braid in and only hurts until I'm a 4th of the way done with the braid. I'll try and get a pic but don't know how.

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 10:04pm
Would that be up by her scalp? It possibly is just pulling tight against her skin, which would cause pain. I would try loosening the braid.

Also, like anne6000 said, pulling it tight might would affect the normal hair growth.

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Print Page | Close Window