Print Page | Close Window

I want my long hair back

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45911
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 4:33am

Topic: I want my long hair back
Posted By: Tobe
Subject: I want my long hair back
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 6:19am
Hey. I'm in a bit of a dilema with my hair right now. I'm growing it (although I have been for years) but I've not been treating it properly so it's incredibly damaged. It's naturally curly but I've never learnt how to get my curls to behave so I've been straightning it practically everyday for the past 4 years, which has not made it happy at all, as you can imagine. So over the summer break I decided to wear it naturally to give it a chance to grow. I did that and was very happy with the lovely ringlets I managed to get by just leaving it to dry without touching it from the moment I was out the shower. To my delight it grew about an inch in under a month, taking it to below my bra stap. Of course, I still had all that damage though. A S&D was no use because almost every hair was split, so I did what I vowed never to do again and made an appointment with the hairdresser. Now I remember why I made that vow! A trim became 5 inches and I managed to let her convince me into getting layers. I hate it now. I can't wear it naturally because it is just a frizzy mess, no matter what I do. I'm not getting the ringlets any more because of the layers and it's at the awkward lengh I spent forever waiting for it to grow past. Grrrr!!! So I've gone back to my straightners. I hate it though because I've only straightned it three times since the cut and already its split everywhere. As pathetic as it sounds, I've actually been in tears a few times out of furstration. I really don't know what to do. I'm due to henna it soon, so hopefully that'll make me happy for a while. But this is really getting to me. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what I'm asking here, it's more a rant that anything else. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful

Replies:
Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 9:35am
Miri has this same problem. one really cute and protective stlye is braids. not cornrows those are WAYYYYYYYY to tight but off the skin braids. If you or someone else can braid your hair go for it. and you know this is coming STOP FLAT-IRONING!!! This KILLS hair

HTH

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 10:00pm
Well said, SugarCube!

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Posted By: ckizzle
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 6:03pm
hey! if you want it to be a little smoother (and I guess wavy rather than curly) then try giant-sized velcro rollers! like I mean big ones--- I've used them for my hair when I was afraid to heat-damage it. I just put them in all over my hair when my hair is damp and let it air dry (but you can't sleep in it at night, so do it like in the afternoon) I got hair that was a lot smoother and pretty wavy and tons of volume. It looks pretty, although it doesnt work out perfectly EVERY time but then u can always do a half-up do or put some pins in the places where it might frizz. I'm trying to grow out my hair so I cut back on the ironing. You can also put a bit of alcohol free mousse like Finesse before you put the rollers so it will dry a bit faster. Also, heat rollers arent as great as just plain velcro ones cuz those might damage hair as well. Good luck! :)

ps. i have very curly hair if you know where im coming from

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 7:12am
Since you loved your ringlets so much, it seems like the answer is to try to leave it alone and let it grow.  A little jojoba might help you combat the frizz somewhat (works great on regular frizz, but I haven't tried it on frizz from damage, so I don't know if it will help much until your damage gets cut off...but later, it would help with that).   

When I hated my hair length I just wore it up every day so I didn't need to look at it unless I wanted to.  I don't know how long your layers are, you may need to use some styling products to get it to stay in an upstyle until its longer, but to use them for that short of a time won't damage your hair very much (way better than straightening).  Learn to do a french twist, and buy yourself some decorative hair holders to make it more fun. Or wear it in that style where its twisted and claw clipped so its up but the ends stick out.  Hair takes awhile to grow, so to keep yourself happy, the best thing to try to do is work with it and enjoy it at whatever stage its currently in.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: rhpetunia
Date Posted: August 10 2006 at 9:41pm
Well, at least your hair grows 1 inch/month, so it will grow back very fast.  And when it does grow out it will be very healthy!

Just please, please be careful who you have even up those layers! 

I agree with Susan, just wear it up until you like it.  Curly hair always looks so nice up!!

-------------
2b/F/ii

Posted By: Tobe
Date Posted: August 13 2006 at 5:45pm
Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions I've been playing around with updos and I'm getting over my childhood fear of tying my hair up ( my mum used to smack me when I flinched when she tied my hair back too tight and it has scarred me ever since) I'm learning to live without straightners, but I'm not sure if I can keep that up when I go back to school. It's not that I'm vain, I'm more scared of change than anything else. I got teased about my hair when I was younger because I tried to blow-dry my curls straight but only got big frizz and I'm more than a little self-conscious of it. But looking through the treads is inspiring, I really want my dream long hair, so I'll try my best
Thanks
Tobe

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:09pm
Welcome Tobe!  You are very lucky that your hair grows 1" per month.

Almost all of us who have long hair (if not every last one of us!) knows the difficulty in getting past the growing-out phase.   Usually it involves the short-term compromise of allowing your hair to look less-appealing than it could, in an attempt to get some length; also known as "biting the bullet." (don't you love the cliches? ).

Well, anyway, wear it up if you like -- we won't hurt you if you do.

Focus on your dream, and you can achieve it!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window