Forum Name: Sewing, Knitting, Quilting & Related
Forum Description: Chat about your hobbies & crafts
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46053
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 1:23pm

Topic: Sewing Noob -_-;
Posted By: Kuroneko
Subject: Sewing Noob -_-;
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 2:44am

I'm a near-total sewing noob -_-; .  I've never even used a machine, so everything I make is sewing by hand with tiny stitches.

Mostly I make plushies, which still are amateurish, but I'm getting a little better at it.  Currently I'm working on a very large project I was commissioned for, of a life-sized anthro fox vixen.  I swear this project is going to kill me, especially since I have to do it all by hand!

I've also partially sewed a doll-sized garment when I made a custom doll of a fanchara.  I kinda disassembled another doll's costume and used part of that for the base that I added to.

The other sewing I've done is mostly just your run-of-the-mill bad attempts to repair existing clothes.  I would like to be able to sew my own clothes and costumes.  Last year I sewed my first and only human-sized garment, but I don't think it counts as real garment-sewing, since it was the yukata I wore for Hallowe'en ^_^; .  Hopefully I'll learn more soon.  Maybe I should sign up for a class one day.

-------------
More awesome than a manatee!

Replies:
Posted By: strawberryfine
Date Posted: September 12 2006 at 1:03am
Classes can be helpful, but I've found I like my sewing books better because I can refer back to them and they have great illustrations; also, sewing videos have helped me a lot.

Good luck!
strawberryfine

-------------
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"

Posted By: Katasha
Date Posted: September 12 2006 at 5:09pm
Practice, practice, practice.  Nothing helps more than that.

I've been sewing for over 20 years, and I'm a fourth generation seamstress/tailor (my great grandfather was a professional tailor) and a lot of what I know are things handed down to me.  I've made entire wardrobes for people, as well as run a custom costuming business, and it's a lot of fun if you don't let it become 'work'.

I'd definitely encourage you to find a good mentor/teacher to help you with the details, but otherwise, figuring it out on your own, practice, and some good reference books will get you a long ways.

Good luck!

Print Page | Close Window