Print Page | Close Window

oiling question

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46084
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 4:25am

Topic: oiling question
Posted By: laststar
Subject: oiling question
Date Posted: August 13 2006 at 2:50pm
what's better jojoba or coconut oil.  And whats the general procedure to aplicate?

-------------
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist

Replies:
Posted By: Pkj049
Date Posted: August 13 2006 at 7:59pm
Jojoba oil is considered to be lighter, and lots of people with finer hair tend to use it. Coconut oil is heavier but not as heavy as olive oil. Also, it depends on how you want to use it. Some people apply it on just washed-wet hair on the ends of the hair; some apply it every night before bed on dry hair. I do both because my hair is thick and tends to be drier.
Basically, you apply as much as the hair can absorb without getting too oily. I have thick, medium textured hair (2bNiii) so I use more than most. If you apply it at night, it usually is absorbed by morning. If I am going to wash the next morning, I will apply it heavier as a overnight conditioner.
Jojoba oil is liquid so a couple of drops in your palm will be a good start. Rub palms together so it is dispense to both palms and warmed. Then finger comb your hair but not the scalp area unless you plan on washing the next morning or within a few hours. You can also bend over and let your hair hang over; sandwich portions of hair between your palms and gently rub down the length of your hair. Remember you can always add more if you like, but start out with less first to gauge how your hair absorbs it.
Coconut oil is usually solid as a solid like shortening. Scrap a little with your nail and spread between your palms like above. Apply in the same manner.
Jojoba oil can be expensive, but a 2-4 ounce bottle will last a long time.
Another oil that I like better than jojoba is Sweet Almond oil (and it is cheaper than jojoba).
Which one you like is subjective--Some swear by one or another, you really have to trial and error to see which one will work.
Good luck,
PJ

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: August 16 2006 at 5:51pm

I totally agree with the above^. I personally would use coconut oil. What's your hair type. this plays a key role in what oil/products you use

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Print Page | Close Window