Print Page | Close Window

How to prevent tangles?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46383
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 4:38am

Topic: How to prevent tangles?
Posted By: dude20
Subject: How to prevent tangles?
Date Posted: August 26 2006 at 5:39pm
How do you prevent tangles in the first place...Do you have to comb your hair every day, or what?

Replies:
Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: August 27 2006 at 8:37am
well before you wash your hair I would suggest completely detangling it and also this may sond wierd but after you've washed your hair get a dime sized amount of LIGHT conditioner(i recommend Suave) and disperse it through your hair.

HTH

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: August 27 2006 at 3:47pm
Dude, if your hair starts to dred, or knots, then you've gone too long... comb or brush more frequently.  I would guess that the more often you comb or brush, the less tangling you'll have.  The amount of tangles you get depends on what you're doing.  Rock'n'roll headbanging will tangle your hair much faster than just sitting around.   You may be able to restrain your hair during activities which would otherwise tangle it up; even something as simple as wearing a hat can help.  If your hair is long enough, a ponytail (or better yet, a braid) will lessen tangles. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2006 at 11:08am
What about when you are sleeping...How do you sleep to prevent tangles..With your hair put upwards, or do you just sleep on it as lying down without worrying about it?

Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: August 28 2006 at 5:05pm
a detangled oiled braid

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Posted By: rhpetunia
Date Posted: August 28 2006 at 5:39pm
I always have at least a high pony tail, but usually I either braid, roll, or wrap it, mostly to prevent split ends.  The only time I leave the pony tail free is if I really want it straight the next day.

-------------
2b/F/ii

Posted By: horselover_1625
Date Posted: August 30 2006 at 1:29pm
Well, when I sleep, I normally leave it hanging down and just flip it behind my head (I sleep on my side). In the morning, it's not really, really, tangled, but nothing a brushing won't help!

-------------
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Posted By: Sharyg11
Date Posted: September 16 2006 at 6:35pm
First of all when you wash use a good detangleling conditioner. The best is Paul Mitchell The Detangler. I haven't met a mane that stuff could not detangle. Then you need to use some kind of leave in conditioner. Try Sebastian Potion 9, is great.

Much love, Shary

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: September 17 2006 at 1:52pm
Dude, it sounds like your hair is getting longer - that's great. Post a photo if you get a chance. As for tangling when sleeping, I never could do a ponytail or braid because it damaged my hair more than it helped during sleep (I move around a lot). So I leave mine loose most of the time. I think oiling lightly would probably help you. Then just wash and go in the morning.

-------------

Date Posted: September 17 2006 at 2:39pm
You can tie it to go to sleep as long as you do it with a scrunchie. The fabric covering it will protect your hair.

Date Posted: September 18 2006 at 1:18pm
Somehow, I can't picture Dude wearing a scrunchie!! hehe.

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2006 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by SpecialKitty SpecialKitty wrote:

Somehow, I can't picture Dude wearing a scrunchie!! hehe.

Hi SK!

Who knows, maybe the dude is a real man who isn't afraid of others teasing.  Or maybe it isn't even an issue since they don't sleep with him.

Posted By: babycheeks24
Date Posted: September 18 2006 at 6:24pm
using leave in conditioner helps me with tangles.

-------------
Babycheeks

Date Posted: September 18 2006 at 9:43pm

Just like Dave said, wearing a scrunchie won't be an issue since he is only using it to go to sleep with. Besides, he doesn't need to use the huge ones. They have little ones that once are wrapped around the hair looks like any normal hair tie.

Date Posted: September 19 2006 at 8:10pm
Have fun at my expense  no scrunchie won't work for me, I use satin sleep cap from http://www.carolwrightgifts.com - http://www.carolwrightgifts.com Thanx for the advice

Date Posted: September 20 2006 at 5:24pm
Dude got it! I was just kidding around - seriously, though, sometimes just the word "scrunchie" is enough to keep me from using it, and I'm a girl!

-------------

Posted By: babycheeks24
Date Posted: September 20 2006 at 6:04pm

for me the word scrunchie is just a hair tie little kids use lol. BUT unforntanly i cant find anything else to use to keep my hair up without breakage so im stuck with the scrunchie.

-------------
Babycheeks

Posted By: Yoda
Date Posted: September 26 2006 at 7:29pm
While you guys are on the subject of scrunchies... Have you ever pulled your hair back into a pony tail: loose, tight, high up, low down - but no matter how you put it...you always end up with this really stubborn "bump" or wave in the back of your head? I have straight hair and it happens all the time. Are there any ways to prevent that or is it just something we have to live with if we want to wear our hair in a scrunchie (or hair tie/pony tail etc)?

Date Posted: September 26 2006 at 10:37pm
Yeap! happens to everyone. The only people who usually don't get it, are people with super straight, but super fine silky hair. If your hair is straight but the strands are thick, you are stuck with the freeking waves from the scrunchies. Oh well, I guess it comes with the territory LOL.

Date Posted: September 27 2006 at 12:30am
Bummer. I figured we were stuck with it. lol Thanks!

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: September 27 2006 at 7:07am
That's the main reason I hate sleeping with my hair in a ponytail or braid.  Its otherwise straight so I get either the one bump, or 3 or 4 waves with the rest of it straight.  Sometimes I just sleep with it down to avoid that and deal with the tangles (which I'm sure ain't that great).  I sleep in those Pony-O things that I think are made for kids, but they are terrycloth and good for hair.  

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: September 27 2006 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Yoda Yoda wrote:

While you guys are on the subject of scrunchies... Have you ever pulled your hair back into a pony tail: loose, tight, high up, low down - but no matter how you put it...you always end up with this really stubborn "bump" or wave in the back of your head? I have straight hair and it happens all the time. Are there any ways to prevent that or is it just something we have to live with if we want to wear our hair in a scrunchie (or hair tie/pony tail etc)?

Not sure if I understand the phenomenon you describe.  Whenever I make a ponytail, I comb the hair toward the spot where I want the tail to be.  It helps align the strands so that there are no lumps; bonus is that the weight is distributed evenly among the strands so there is no noticeable tension on the strands.

Date Posted: September 30 2006 at 5:52pm
I usually just throw it up in a pony tail (without brushing through it and everything). I think I'll try it your way next time. But, my hair's a little stubborn, so I'll probably still end up with the bump.LOL

Date Posted: October 14 2006 at 8:01pm
Hi Yoda,

Any luck lately avoiding the bump?

Print Page | Close Window