Print Page | Close Window

Long straight to long curly?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46830
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 4:29am

Topic: Long straight to long curly?
Posted By: Ravann
Subject: Long straight to long curly?
Date Posted: September 13 2006 at 1:40am
Im a new to HairTalk,

I have super long hair... it goes all the way to my tush when loose, its straight with a slight wave toward the bottom, now what ive always wanted was to have those sexy long ringlet curls not the super tight pootle ones but the long tendrel ones. Now ive had perms before... 3 infact trying to get said curls and ive had disasterous results... 1st time i looked like a poodle gone wrong 2 months of vigorous brushing and lots of hot iron time finnaly gave me a heavy wave... 2nd time it fell out in a week... and the 3rd well the 3rd came out as a really really loose wave. Now the stylists i went to ranged from small town local*poodle*to department store stylist*loose wave*.  I really would love to know what to look for in a stylist, what products etc... even better a good contact locally, I live in Raleigh NC btw.  I expect to pay a pretty penny to get the look i want, however i dont want to have another Poodle experience. Any help you can give me on this subject I would GREATLY appreciate.

Thanks!
CM in Raleigh NC

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: September 13 2006 at 10:33am
I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but you will probably get better results from curling it yourself every night (using sponge rollers or something like that, curling it wet and with styling products, and letting it dry.  Rolling the rollers vertically on your head should help it come out in spirals). 

Since your curls fell out the last 2 times you got perms, its possible your hair will just do the same the next time. I'm kind of assuming you were younger when it went too curly and older when the curl fell out?  If not, then maybe there's hope for a perm.  Hair tends to change as one gets older, and it maybe that your hair just won't hold perms that well any more.  Mine is like that, it'll only be curly for the first week, then fall to barely wavy, and I'd have all that damage for nothing).  That's the main reason I discourage you, perms are SO damaging, and you have such long hair that you obviously want to keep, it would be a shame if you got that done only to have the curls fall out again.  Good luck though, I hope you can achieve what you are looking for.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: September 13 2006 at 5:25pm
I agree with Susan - for the reason that your hair is so long and it sounds healthy right now. Why would you want to jeopardize that with a perm? Your hair sounds beautiful - maybe you could try accepting it for what it is and then when you want a change, just do the undamaging rollers to get a couple of days of the curls. Anyway, congrats on having such long, pretty hair!!

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: September 13 2006 at 7:44pm
Hi CM, and welcome! 

You've had your hair permed 3 times, and it's past your waist.  How is the condition?  For most people, it's a trade-off between long hair (waist-length or longer), or permed/styled hair.  The harsh chemical processing can weaken the strands and make them brittle and fragile.  Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you haven't yet gotten the look you've sought.  I've read about a technique for perming long hair wherein different sizes of rollers are used on the same section of hair, in an attempt to approach uniformity of curl from root to ends.  I wonder if that might work?  Of course, a stylist experienced in perming all lengths of hair should know what to do.

-------------

Posted By: Ravann
Date Posted: September 14 2006 at 7:27am
The last perm I had was when I was pregnant with my daughter about 3 years ago, it was a gift from my husband to make me feel better. I went to a department store in town and at the time I had about waist length hair and i had it cut to just past my shoulders... the excess I had donated to "Locks of Love"*i've donated around 2 feet of hair over the last 10 years, If you want to cut your long hair over 6inches I highly recommend donating it.*

Anyway I think I had a crumby stylist she didnt seem very interested in acually helping me acheive the style I wanted. And didnt listen very well when I told her she had to put a detangler of some sort in my hair *Brushes break if you dont put a detangler in while my hair is wet* after 2 brushes and a comb she finnaly used a leave in conditioner/detangler. OUCH!

Anyway the condition of my hair after I get a perm *for the exception of the 1st perm I have ever had POODLE!* is normally pretty good I have to use extra conditoner for about 2 weeks and have the ends trimmed within a month to two months.

The condition of my hair now is great, im trying out that Aussie shampoo and conditoner with a leave in condition spritz afterward. So far im very pleased with it.. I wouldnt mind forgoing the perm and just useing the rollers but so far I havent seen any rollers/twisty/snap and go/whatever long enought for a whole section of my hair... If anyone knows of a brand/place to get a good snap and go type roller that is comfortable to sleep in at night and long enought to acually work would be great.

Thanks!

CM 

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: September 17 2006 at 5:29pm
Hi CM,

Your stylist doesn't sound very technically competent.

Let me guess -- when you went to the salon 3 years ago, you hadn't planned on donating your hair.  Am I correct?

While it is noble that you donated your hair, the charity you mentioned is not deserving.  Better to sell it or hang onto it for a keepsake, instead, because that charity only makes or repairs enough hairpieces to use 1% of the hair donations they receive.  They sell a lot of the hair given to them -- their cash reserves are rising steadily; and they sell most of the hairpieces they make (they require payment on what they describe as a "sliding scale" which means, the more the family earns, the more they pay).

Glad to hear you like the Aussie products.  Regarding your request, I might suggest going to Sally Beauty (or the like) and ask them if they have what you're looking for.

-------------

Posted By: rhpetunia
Date Posted: October 12 2006 at 11:09am

With your super long hair you probably would want to make sure to use very small sections of hair for the spiral curlers.

Another interesting thing I've seen is Sassy Curlers.  The website is http://www.euroteezer.com/curlers/curlers.html - http://www.euroteezer.com/curlers/curlers.html .

-------------
2b/F/ii

Posted By: Longhairdreams
Date Posted: October 12 2006 at 11:40am
your hair sounds perfect for sock curls.Anais's site has a tutorial how to do them,plus they give beautiful results. Hope the link works.My computer doesnt want to do links for some reason.If the pic link doesnt work just type in Medusa's lair and it will be the first page.
  http://anaissatin.freespaces.com/sockcurling/howtosockcurl.html">

Print Page | Close Window