Print Page | Close Window

Long Hair SOS!!!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=47002
Printed Date: September 29 2024 at 4:27am

Topic: Long Hair SOS!!!
Posted By: deeptianush
Subject: Long Hair SOS!!!
Date Posted: September 22 2006 at 2:23pm
Hello All,

I am 26 years old and have hip length straight and long hair. For the past 8 months I am having a severe hair fall problem. I eat right(greens and vitamins etc...)I shampoo and condition right(no harsh chemicals,alternate shampoos,zero build ups, twice a week). I dont have dandruff problems,health problems or stress.I donot have a heridatary balding problem. I have tried oiling,extra vitamins,smooth handling of hair,donot blow dry or use chemicals. I dont seem to know what my problem is but my hair is very dry  and split ends keep comming back, the tangles and knots appear just hours after combing and I am not able to repair it. The hair fall is acute in the front part. Some one Please help. I am very frustrated about this Please help.

Thanks

-------------
Deeps

Replies:
Posted By: SugarCube
Date Posted: September 23 2006 at 7:54am
from what I hear it is a medical problem go se a doctor ASAP!!

-------------
JESUS is The Way the Truth and The Life!

Posted By: SpecialKitty
Date Posted: September 23 2006 at 7:48pm
Hi Deeps,

I'm so sorry you're having a lot of shedding. That can be very worrisome. I would definitely see a doctor - hair loss is sometimes related to thyroid problems, as well as some other medical problems.

One thing you didn't mention is whether you are on any prescription medications......many medications also cause hair loss.

Take good care and let us know how you're doing.

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2006 at 1:12am
Thanks for the support guys. The reason I have lost hope is, I went to a dermatologist a few months ago, apparently he couldnt figure out whats happening either. He gave a non-perfume based shampoo and said it must be the weather thats afftecting my hair. Unfortunately the shampoo did more damage and I had to stop using it.
I am looking at using jojoba oil, do you think its worth the shot? Are there any herbal remedies?

Thanks again

-------------
Deeps

Date Posted: September 24 2006 at 1:17am
Oops and I forgot to mention,
Nope I am not on any medications.
I have had a physical  and I dont have thyroid or any problems.

Does liver cleansing help?I keep reading a lot about it online, but I am not sure.

Thanks

-------------
Deeps

Posted By: babycheeks24
Date Posted: September 24 2006 at 12:10pm
I would take the herb amla- indian gooseberry ( in india very well known for hair loss and greying as well) i take it all the time you can also use amla hair oil. And jojoba oil and jojoba shampoos and conditioners would be good for softening the hair not really hair loss but helps with damage  i usually use some on the ends of my hair where it splits, maybe you need a hair trim on your ends to help out  first though. Make sure u use lots of conditioner and your using a wide tooth comb. I wish you the best!

-------------
Babycheeks

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: September 25 2006 at 7:19am
Maybe you are taking too many vitamins?  Too much Vitamin A can cause hair loss (among other nasty problems like liver damage). 

Most of what you say (aside from the shedding) sounds normal.  Its normal for some hair types to tangle hours after you last brushed, mine certainly does.  Splits come naturally on hair that long if you don't take care of them.  A small trim every once in awhile would keep them in check, or if you don't want your hair trimmed, do a "dusting", also called "search and destroy", just trimming each individual hair above the split.  You can't let splits go or they climb the hair and you would eventually have to cut off more to get rid of them.

Jojoba also makes some hair types feel a little drier than some other oils do, such as coconut, but nonetheless they are still good for your hair.  I use jojoba and just don't trim it while I've got the jojoba in so I don't get confused about why its dry and overdo it.

Its normal to lose 100 hairs a day, so if you've been to your docs and nothing is wrong, maybe it is normal shedding (you will have to judge if it is starting to look thinner...if so, that is probably too much shedding....however, if you do any chemical treatments on it, like dyeing, perming, straightening, etc., those chemicals are going to cause more fallout than you would otherwise have had.

edited for spelling

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: aznmitsugrl
Date Posted: September 26 2006 at 4:10pm
you know, i went through this exact same thing in january of this year (with my acute loss being on the very crown of my head).  i was 18 at the time, and it was determined to be a combination of stress and hormones (apparently, i was switching from pubery to actual womanhood).  i was also taking in too much vitamin A.  i switched the multivitamin i was on, joined a gym, and now my hair is growing in with a vengence.  i've got these annoying 3-4 inch hairs sprouting up all over my head, and after a few months, i'll be back to normal!

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: September 27 2006 at 9:39pm
Welcome Deeps!

Sorry to hear about the excess hairloss, and that the doctor wasn't able to help.  Sometimes, excess hairloss is a symptom of an underlying medical problem, but if s/he wasn't able to pinpoint anything, what can you do?

Self-assessment (in addition to what you've already shared): How is your health?  Do you get regular cardiovascular exercise?  Do you have a healthy diet, including sufficient protein?  Do you supplement your diet with specialized herbs/minerals, such as silica, and biotin?  Do you smoke?  Do you drink excessively or take illicit drugs?  Do you smoke?  Do you get enough sleep?  Also, how do you style your hair?  Do you leave it loose always?  Or do you wear it up sometimes to protect it from the elements?

My fallout varies, and sometimes I can't pinpoint the cause, but at times I lose a hundred or more hairs in a single day, and with hair as long as mine, it makes quite a pile. Shocked 

If you make a ponytail at the nape of your neck, what is the circumference of it?  Might you be willing to share a picture of your hair, so we can see how thick it is?  It might not be as bad as you think.  It is normal for the diameter of a ponytail to vary a lot, person to person.

-------------

Posted By: strawberryfine
Date Posted: September 28 2006 at 1:13am
Hi,
I went through this last year but mine was caused by a medication.  Nonetheless, Nioxin shamoo and scalp treatment really helped a lot;  I used it for at least 6 months along with my Biolage Conditioning Balm because I was shampooing daily with the Nioxin-- I was really glad I decided to give it a try; I was desperate and now all the fallout has grown back in and gotten long enough that I no longer have a 'halo" of new growth standing up all over my head.  Good luck to you.  I hope it gets better soon.  Fallout problems can be so stressful and unsettling.  Just hold on and don't lose hope!
Best wishes,
SF

-------------
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"

Posted By: rhpetunia
Date Posted: October 12 2006 at 11:20am
Also, try (I know it's hard) not to stress over it, because stress itself can cause hair loss.   Good luck!  I know you'll get it nailed!

-------------
2b/F/ii

Date Posted: October 22 2006 at 9:17pm
Thanx for all the support guys Smile.
My hair seems to have recovered after using oil treatment. I relly need to schedule time for this often.
Thanks again.

-Deeps

-------------
Deeps

Posted By: vivek
Date Posted: October 29 2006 at 4:12am

Hai deepti

This is vivek. Im a guy with 32 inches of long hair. I too had the same problem last year . But the problem vanished on its own. If u can rule out dandruff, stress and if u r sure that u don’t take medicines then take it easy . May be it is a normal resting phase.

Don’t worry  now I have my long hair back with the same thickness and the same will happen for u.

All the best

Print Page | Close Window